Formal Night MDR or Horizon?

jagsfan

Different strokes....different folks.

It is too bad that not everyone takes part in formal nights. There was a time when we all had to wear a sport coat and tie or suit every evening in the MDR. As it is now, we both like to get dressed up on those nights because it is special and I really don't mind putting on the tux and fighting with the bow tie.

The second formal night has the lobster tails and prawns which you won't find in the HC so that kinda "sets the table" for which night we won't miss. On the last voyage one of our table mates ordered the lobster as a starter, again as soup, again as a salad followed by lobster as a main course. Complained about acid reflux the next day!

I agree with the comment about the quality of the food and selection in HC on both the Royal and Regal. Having been on three voyages with those ships I can attest that the food is better there than in the MDR with sometimes the same entree offerings. We love the layout of the HC/Bistro/Pastry areas and the seating arrangements there.

Alfredo's is another great evening meal area with relatively quick service and very good selections.

Crown Grill is always a must visit on our voyages and the quality is usually very good.

If offered, try the Crab Shack that would be located in the HC area. Good to make a reservation as the space is limited.

Different strokes....different folks.

It is too bad that not everyone takes part in formal nights. There was a time when we all had to wear a sport coat and tie or suit every evening in the MDR. As it is now, we both like to get dressed up on those nights because it is special and I really don't mind putting on the tux and fighting with the bow tie.

The second formal night has the lobster tails and prawns which you won't find in the HC so that kinda "sets the table" for which night we won't miss. On the last voyage one of our table mates ordered the lobster as a starter, again as soup, again as a salad followed by lobster as a main course. Complained about acid reflux the next day!

I agree with the comment about the quality of the food and selection in HC on both the Royal and Regal. Having been on three voyages with those ships I can attest that the food is better there than in the MDR with sometimes the same entree offerings. We love the layout of the HC/Bistro/Pastry areas and the seating arrangements there.

Alfredo's is another great evening meal area with relatively quick service and very good selections.

Crown Grill is always a must visit on our voyages and the quality is usually very good.

If offered, try the Crab Shack that would be located in the HC area. Good to make a reservation as the space is limited.

We agree.:D

We have dined at Horizon Court on formal nights multiple times and agree that they often have many of the same items on the MDR menu.

One thing I did want to mention though is a potential change in the dress code which I don't recall seeing before. This was in the Patter on the day of our first formal night on the Emerald a couple of weeks ago:

Dress Code

During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested. Guidelines from 5:30pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal
: A dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual
: An open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit for ladies.

Please be reminded that shorts, tank tops & baseball caps are not permitted in the dining rooms, Crown Grill and Sabatini's during dining hours.

I don't recall them ever indicating that smart casual was the dress code for the ship during the evenings. It seems that they are trying to improve the dress all over the ship and not just in the dining room. But as others have suggested, these are merely guidelines...

Edited by azbirdmom

One thing I did want to mention though is a potential change in the dress code which I don't recall seeing before. This was in the Patter on the day of our first formal night on the Emerald a couple of weeks ago:

Dress Code

During the day, sportswear and casual clothes are suggested. Guidelines from 5:30pm and throughout the evening are:

Formal
: A dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies.

Smart Casual
: An open-neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt and blouse or trouser suit for ladies.

Please be reminded that shorts
, tank tops & baseball caps
are not permitted in the dining rooms
, Crown Grill and Sabatini's
during dining hours

I don't recall them ever indicating that smart casual was the dress code for the ship during the evenings. It seems that they are trying to improve the dress all over the ship and not just in the dining room. But as others have suggested, these are merely guidelines...

I think this is a poorly worded attempt to describe appropriate clothes for dinner only. Shorts are permitted in the dining room for breakfast and lunch.

It seems that they are trying to improve the dress all over the ship and not just in the dining room. But as others have suggested, these are merely guidelines...

If that was their intent it's sure hard to see any change on any of the ships we've been on. It's just as casual as ever outside the DR on any evening.