Formal Night MDR or Horizon?

jagsfan

I'm willing to cut a deal with DH to skip the first formal night in the MDR if he'll go to the second one. We'll be on Royal March 29. From what I'm reading, the 50th anniversary menu is presented on the first formal night. I'd be okay skipping that.

I've never eaten dinner anywhere but the MDR or Crown Grill or Sabatinis. DH won't do either of those again, so that leaves Horizon Buffet, which he'd do every night if he could.

Can anybody give me an idea of what dinner would be like up there? Not fondue, not seafood, just normal night time offerings.

Two answers to your question.

I liked the 50th Anniversary menu very much on the Crown. Unless the menu has recently changed, the second formal night should include filet, scampi and lobster.

The Horizon Court/Horizon Bistro has a wonderful selection of foods. One portion will usually be a themed buffet. Another section will have a carving board area with one or more roasts available. We had dinner 2/3's of the time at the buffet on the Regal. We usually do the DR for dinner but we we very satisfied with the buffet on the Regal,

Edited by IECalCruiser

We do the first Formal night, just to keep the wife happy. All other days, it's Horizon for us. MDR is over rated and I'm not that important. I can wait on myself.

Some years ago I got tired of the tedious and sometimes embarrassing experience in the main dining room ( like when a table mate and his wife order 5 lobster tails each...and a steak then 3 deserts each!!) And it taking some 2+ hours to pick one's way through 5 or 6 courses when all you want is 2 like a salad and an entre .

Since then I have totally ditched the formal dining and have fallen in love with the buffet where you can first of all pick exactly what you want and second see what it looks like, and third pick and choose a meal you choose like a dim sum experience. all in a quiet, relaxed tempo where you are in total control...

An exception might be made if you have someone special as a tablemate like a life long friend or such..

Thanks, everybody. I'm going to go for the buffet for the first formal night. DH has lost his appetite for Italian, for steak, and for lots of the things I love. He thinks it might be from years of Metformin.

I normally enjoy the MDR because we've had great tablemates going back to 1984. Just lucky, and one of these days our luck will run out.

Once I try Horizon, I just might wind up there more often than the MDR!

Thanks, everybody. I'm going to go for the buffet for the first formal night. DH has lost his appetite for Italian, for steak, and for lots of the things I love. He thinks it might be from years of Metformin.

I normally enjoy the MDR because we've had great tablemates going back to 1984. Just lucky, and one of these days our luck will run out.

You will see us there....:D

We are going on our first cruise this September (can't wait!). I believe there are 4 formal nights and knowing nothing about cruises I am a bit confused. Do the formal nights only apply to the restaurants on the ship? If you go to Horizon does that mean you don't have to dress up formally? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We are going on our first cruise this September (can't wait!). I believe there are 4 formal nights and knowing nothing about cruises I am a bit confused. Do the formal nights only apply to the restaurants on the ship? If you go to Horizon does that mean you don't have to dress up formally? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Formal only applies to the 2 or 3 main dining rooms. The specialty restaurants are smart casual and other areas including the buffet are basically no swimsuits.

Having a friend that tried Metformin I understand why you DH might have lost his appetite. :)

Formal only applies to the 2 or 3 main dining rooms. The specialty restaurants are smart casual and other areas including the buffet are basically no swimsuits.

LOL. :) Well, you need to wear clothes, but not just swimsuits alone. ;) Whatever you wear around the ship during the day will work just fine at the buffet.

Wow, your first cruise is over 20 days long?

As stated above, the Horizon Court is the buffet. So you can even wear shorts for dinner there. The big thing is to cover up any swimsuit -- no wet ones and pull on clothes over it if you don't want to return to your cabin to change. If you go to the poolside pizzeria or grill, you can get dinner from those while in your swimsuit and eat at one of the tables by the pool on the Lido deck.

Many eating in Sabatinis for dinner might dress up more despite the night's dress code if eating there for a special occasion. But you can follow smart casual guidelines if you want.

LOL. :) Well, you need to wear clothes, but not just swimsuits alone. ;) Whatever you wear around the ship during the day will work just fine at the buffet.
I was trying to keep my answer short but knew it would bring additional comments [emoji6] There are very few limits on attire in the buffet every day but you need a cover-up with swimsuits.