Washing & changing of clean sheets and towels on luxury ships --wasteful?

Catlover54

Most luxury hotels these days leave out subtle little cards suggesting you can help save the planet ( or at least some energy and water, and probably also labor costs in the laundry) by signaling to maids that you are happy to reuse a towel by hanging it back up instead of placing it on the floor, or by leaving a card on day-old sheets so they are not washed after very light use. But I have not seen these energy conservation measures on luxury ships I have been on so far ( cruising SB first time soon!) . I like having a lot of fluffy towels and soft sheets but they do not need to be changed every day and try and signal this, but it seems hotel personnel and suite attendants change everything out anyway, perhaps so they do not get in trouble for not cleaning well ( on a recent Silversea cruise I was finally able to convince the butler not to change towels I had hung back up) It seems that on ships with limited water supply one might be interested in being proactive about doing something like this. Does Seabourn make any attempts to encourage (directly or indirectly)conservation on linens and towels?

Yes, there is a notice in the bathroom to hang your towels back on the rail if you are happy to use them again, which we do. If you just drop them, they would be changed twice a day, generally not necessary for most people. I think they change the sheets etc. twice weekly.

Also, these ships don't have a limited water supply. They make their own fesh water for washing etc from sea water.

About conservation, SB ships use degradable toilet paper and offer free clothes washing powder that meet environmental regulations.

Happy sailing!

I might be wrong, but I don't think they change the sheets every day. Will have to check when we are onboard again in May.

We are just off the Quest, and you are correct secoma4, the sheets aren't changed daily, although the pillowslips were. As we sailed down the Amazon, the Captain made daily announcements about conserving water, asking passengers to take showers rather than baths and to reuse towels.

I follow the same philosophy when traveling as I do at home. I don't change my sheets every morning and I reuse my towels. I am clean when I get out of a shower so I never got why someone would need cleaned towels every day. So, I try to be green, whether or not there is a sign askin me to. I will also tell the stewardess if there is no sign but on Seabourn I always saw the sign, at least in the bathroom,

it's all about service on these ships & I like having the sheets & towels changed...Carnivore is squeezing every last penny out of these voyages...it's gotten ridiculous.

Next they'll be claiming the TAX Exemption for yachts over $250,00(like Andrew Cuomo just did here in NY State).

it's all about service on these ships & I like having the sheets & towels changed...Carnivore is squeezing every last penny out of these voyages...it's gotten ridiculous.

Next they'll be claiming the TAX Exemption for yachts over $250,00(like Andrew Cuomo just did here in NY State).

Your prerogative, Rotterdam - put them on the floor each time and they will be changed. Not sure about sheets, if you wanted them changed each day I think you might have to put them on the floor too! Or ask your stewardess.

Incidentally, when we leave a couple of slightly damp towels on the rail, badly arranged, on coming back later in the morning they are not only nicely arranged but feel dry. I suspect sometimes they actually do get changed anyway.

Your prerogative, Rotterdam - put them on the floor each time and they will be changed. Not sure about sheets, if you wanted them changed each day I think you might have to put them on the floor too! Or ask your stewardess.

Incidentally, when we leave a couple of slightly damp towels on the rail, badly arranged, on coming back later in the morning they are not only nicely arranged but feel dry. I suspect sometimes they actually do get changed anyway.

I like the idea of fresh towels twice a day and fresh sheets daily when on vacation. However, I compensate at home by changing the towels every 3 months and the sheets every six. I think it evens out. :eek:

I am clean when I get out of a shower so I never got why someone would need cleaned towels every day.

I think it is more of an issue of "dry" towels rather than "clean" towels.

Whenever I stay at a hotel in London, towel "warmers" seem to be the norm. Not so much elsewhere in the world. Maybe Seabourn will install them on the new ship.