concierge verandah benefit

brucory

Hi all,

We are looking at an Oceania Marina cruise and can't decide between the normal verandah and the concierge verandah, though we like the idea of being up higher on the ship, which seems to been one of the benefits.

While most of the other benefits don't really phase us, there is a mention of discounted internet. Does anyone know what those discounts are? We are looking at an 11 night cruise, and usually can't live without internet (tragic I know)

Any info would be much appreciated.

:):):)

Edited by brucory

Hi all,

We are looking at an Oceania Marina cruise and can't decide between the normal verandah and the concierge verandah, though we like the idea of being up higher on the ship, which seems to been one of the benefits.

While most of the other benefits don't really phase us, there is a mention of discounted internet. Does anyone know what those discounts are? We are looking at an 11 night cruise, and usually can't live without internet (tragic I know)

Try here

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/internet-packages/

Hi all,

If the other perks do not interest you just take the B Cat cabins & pay for the unlimited internet package

Unless the cruise you are looking at is after Nov when the free min kick in or the cruise lists free internet for all

Remember the speed is not a fast as your home ISP

JMO

Just FYI...we just went through this same decision. We ended up deciding that the Concierge benefits weren't worth the cost for that level, over and above a B-level Veranda cabin. Furthermore, we discovered that some of the B3 Veranda cabins have an extended balcony, which is quite a bit larger than other Verandas...and not available in the Concierge level.

So we ended up going with a B3 extended balcony cabin.

Regarding internet -- I keep hearing how slow it is, which will only get worse as more cabins are getting it for free, thereby increasing usage. We figure we'll just go online in the ports, at a cafe or something. Fortunately neither of us has to work during our trip, and we don't have young children, so no need for constant contact. If anything, we figure it'll be GOOD to get us offline for a while! :)

Take the B cabin and let your TA know that you are open to an upsell. We have done it twice and ended up with a concierge veranda for a very modest additional cost. We like the perks of the concierge cabins but not at the original price.

It may depend on the cruise and how well it is selling. It worked for us in both the Med and in the Caribbean when in both instances we had a selected cabin rather than a guarantee.

We are looking at an Oceania Marina cruise and can't decide between the normal verandah and the concierge verandah, though we like the idea of being up higher on the ship, which seems to been one of the benefits

Are you a good sailor? Do you handle ship's motion well? I'm not and I don't.

After too many years of stay-flat-on-my-back-don't-eat anything seasickness, my husband and I stopped choosing upper level suites. (That's even choosing a mid-ships location.) Finally, we gave up the advantages of more space and perks like a butler. Nothing was worth the miserable feeling of being seasick. We now cruise in the lowest mid-ships veranda cabin and I haven't had a repeat bout of seasickness.

Even far aft and forward don't work for me which rules out even deck 6 owner's suites or vista suites. On one cruise, we were visiting in an OS on Deck 6 while pulling out of Lisbon. Our ship hit such rough seas that staff came running to the suite to tie down all the outdoor furniture. Walking in the suite was risky. Finally, my husband and I left the get-together and headed down the hall to our mid-ships veranda cabin. With every step toward mid-ships, the stability increased. If you're a good sailor, what I've said is irrelevant!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I agree with the poster above who rated concierge veranda as good as an upsell but not if paying much more than for a veranda. On our Baltic cruise last summer, the concierge lounge was a good perk for the 3 soccer fans I was traveling with as they enjoyed the small group gathered there for a couple of the matches (it was from Germany so some watchers and the concierge translated anything that needed it). I found it a good place to go on the internet very early in the am (nobody else was there at 5 or 6 much). On the last day, they had fresh coffee while there was none for those viewing the Swedish Archipelago upstairs (worth a very early day with or without coffee). The bottle of champagne was ok if not great for a non milestone anniversary. I did not think the toiletries were better than the plain Oceania kind. OTOH, it was a free internet cruise so we could just use our own devices in our room and the room was exactly the same as the veranda we had on an earlier cruise. For the few dollars more, we were happy enough but we would not be as happy if we had paid a thousand or two more. By the way we were aft by an elevator on the 10th floor and that room was fine and quiet.

Edited by tvmovielover

I enjoy use of the Spa, and its facilities, as a benefit of concierge. I use them frequently on the cruise.

The Concierge Lounge is convenient. You will find internet service, in the Lounge, to typically be far faster than anywhere else on ship (along with the Executive Lounge).

The ability to make earlier dining reservations is a plus.

I enjoy the higher up, and for me, more conveniently located cabins a plus.

Experiences from my most recent cruise would indicate that any differential in the level of room service, that I believe once occurred, between concierge rooms and standard verandah rooms has now disappeared. The differences in this area has changed significantly. Don't know if it was done as a money saver or what, but the changes are highly evident, and often discussed between the cruisers in that class.

Experiences from my most recent cruise would indicate that any differential in the level of room service, that I believe once occurred, between concierge rooms and standard verandah rooms has now disappeared.

Can you elaborate??

Lyn;

Probably to long of a list for the time I have to post.

embarkment day - They called our floor(10th) as being ready. We went down about 20 minutes after the call to no luggage. No problem, we dropped our carry ones and went back to the bar. An hour later, still no luggage. Then we see someone pulling a suitcase down the hall. They told us all the luggage was in a pile at the stern, and you needed to get your own luggage. We found ours, went back and unpacked. Through this entire time a steward was never visible or available on the floor. Typically, on embarkment day during this time one's steward and the head steward shows up to identify themselves and ask if one needs anything. We never saw a steward the entire day.

The Head Steward, never stopped in to identify themselves, or check on how things were going the entire 16 day voyage. Typically, the Head Steward would stop in several times during the voyage to make sure everything was going fine.

On embarkment day, in the past, one's steward always asked if their was any ironing to be done (4 pieces/ suite are done comp). Not now. You call on the concierge button on the phone, and they send someone sometime to pick it up. Instead of giving it to a person, you now leave it on the bed with a note. Before, if you gave it to the steward in the morning you got it back late that afternoon. Now, regardless of the time of day you turn it in, it's 1800 the next day before its returned.

The stewards now just basically disappear after morning cleaning. Ours commented on now being responsible for more rooms than in the past..

Service is still OK. The comment is (was by a large group) that it is considerably different from what one experienced and received in the past. First comment everyone made : Was this an NCL merger instigated change. Nobody obviously knows.

Just as an aside. We never saw our room steward the entire last full day of the voyage, or on disembarkment day. Typically they show up kind of looking for that tip. They were never came around even for that!

Ok thanks

I though maybe they discontinued room service breakfast :eek:

When I had pressing to be done I just put it on the bed in the laundry bag with the free pressing card

Never thought the steward would need to be called

Usually I just go to the laundry room & do it myself

Was your room made up twice daily or just serviced in the mornings??

pillow chocolates???

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Lyn;

Still yes to both, room made up twice per day and pillow chocolates.

We loved the cruise, planning our next, blah, blah. Just saying things seemed to have slipped there a bit from the past. Really surprised we never saw the Head Steward, for our area, even once on a 16 Day cruise, especially one with 6? sea days where we did spend some time in the room.

Lyn;

Just saying things seemed to have slipped there a bit from the past.

Not surprised

Well people did not believe me when I posted things were not good on our Jan 2014 cruise ;)

Fingers crossed they are better in May

Thanks for the info

DH will be happy there are still pillow chocolates :D

• 2 weeks later...
Take the B cabin and let your TA know that you are open to an upsell. We have done it twice and ended up with a concierge veranda for a very modest additional cost. We like the perks of the concierge cabins but not at the original price.

It may depend on the cruise and how well it is selling. It worked for us in both the Med and in the Caribbean when in both instances we had a selected cabin rather than a guarantee.

My experience was the same. As cruise date came near, I was deluged with upgrade offers. Was in B-4 guarantee and for $100 went to A-1. Included a free bottle of champagne, concierge, concierge lounge, private spa deck in Canyon Ranch and a very quiet 12003 surrounded by suites.

• 2 weeks later...
I enjoy use of the Spa, and its facilities, as a benefit of concierge. I use them frequently on the cruise.

The Concierge Lounge is convenient. You will find internet service, in the Lounge, to typically be far faster than anywhere else on ship (along with the Executive Lounge).

The ability to make earlier dining reservations is a plus.

I enjoy the higher up, and for me, more conveniently located cabins a plus.

Experiences from my most recent cruise would indicate that any differential in the level of room service, that I believe once occurred, between concierge rooms and standard verandah rooms has now disappeared. The differences in this area has changed significantly. Don't know if it was done as a money saver or what, but the changes are highly evident, and often discussed between the cruisers in that class.

I am about to go on my first Oceania cruise and am in a Concierge Class cabin. When am I able to pre-reserve dining on line? My cruise departs 27 June 2015.

I am about to go on my first Oceania cruise and am in a Concierge Class cabin. When am I able to pre-reserve dining on line? My cruise departs 27 June 2015.

should tell you on your invoice

it is 60 days prior so check around April 27 -28th

Cruising Kirby;

It's 60 days out. If you go to O's website then to "my account" and the cruise, then look under dining reservations, you are close enough the website will tell you exactly what day you can make reservations. My guess the answer is 4/16.

Cruising Kirby;

It's 60 days out. If you go to O's website then to "my account" and the cruise, then look under dining reservations, you are close enough the website will tell you exactly what day you can make reservations. My guess the answer is 4/16.

Thanks so much, when I checked in "my account" it only let me pre-reserve the additional cost restaurants at this stage, nothing yet on the other ones. I guess I will need to wait a little longer. Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

Thanks so much, when I checked in "my account" it only let me pre-reserve the additional cost restaurants at this stage, nothing yet on the other ones. I guess I will need to wait a little longer. Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

Check page 3 of your invoice the date for booking will be listed there

Just to clarify, specialty restaurants are not additional cost restaurants. They are included in cruise cost.

Just to clarify, specialty restaurants are not additional cost restaurants. They are included in cruise cost.

They probably are seeing La Reserve & Privee

The specialties cannot be seen in the account until 60 days out for Concierge Cat