Mediterranean Cruise, which one to pick

I'm having a hard time choosing between two European cruises. I am from Austin Texas and this will be our first Mediterranean cruise for June 2016. Both are about the same pricing. Any feedback weighing pros and cons will be greatly appreciated.

Option 1, (14 nights) Independence of the Seas, goes from London to Gibraltar, Nice, Rome, Florence, Toulon, Malaga and Lisbon.

Option 2, (12nights) Brilliance of the Seas, goes from Barcelona to Cannes, La Spezia, Rome, Athens, Turkey, Santorini and Malta.

Thanks

I'm having a hard time choosing between two European cruises. I am from Austin Texas and this will be our first Mediterranean cruise for June 2016. Both are about the same pricing. Any feedback weighing pros and cons will be greatly appreciated.

Option 1, (14 nights) Independence of the Seas, goes from London to Gibraltar, Nice, Rome, Florence, Toulon, Malaga and Lisbon.

Option 2, (12nights) Brilliance of the Seas, goes from Barcelona to Cannes, La Spezia, Rome, Athens, Turkey, Santorini and Malta.

Thanks

My choice would be the Brilliance with a couple of days in Barcelona pre/post cruise. Love Rome (90 minutes from the port), and the Acropolis in Athens is a must visit. The ancient site of Ephasus is well worth a visit. Santorini and Valetta are good to visit. We have not done La Spezia.

The first and last couple of days on the Independence will be sea days crossing the Bay of Biscay which can be a little rough. We really enjoyed Gibraltar, Rome and Lisbon but not so much the French ports. Florence is a beautiful city but again it is about 90 minutes from the port.

Pete.

I'm having a hard time choosing between two European cruises.

Thanks

I would pick this one! Barcelona is a great city and very reasonably priced by European standards. It's easy to maneuver and very walk-able. We walked to the port it was that close. Athens is the home of Western civilization and the birthplace of democracy. It should be on everyone's bucket list. Turkey is on my bucket list. Just Google Santorini images. Look at the pictures. Awesome! Perhaps the most picturesque semi-man-made place on earth.

Just my 2 cents. I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Hands down Option 2 :) Reasons below:

Cruising from UK can be quite cool and over a notoriously rough patch of water (Bay of Biscay), Gibraltar is interesting but not a bucket list type place, Nice (Cannes very close anyway), Rome is on both cruises, Florence is actually Livorno which is a long way but probably too far to reach Florence from La Spezia (which is on itin 2), Toulon (not a favourite port), Malaga is very nice and Lisbon is wonderful

however

Option 2, (12nights) Brilliance of the Seas, goes from Barcelona to Cannes, La Spezia, Rome, Athens, Turkey, Santorini and Malta

Barcelona port is right in town and the city is a destination in itself (Southampton is quite a distance from London - although London is an amazing city too), Cannes (close to Nice - see above), La Spezia - jumping off point for the spectacular Cinque Terre, Rome (on both itins), Athens - unique sightseeing, Turkey (Kusadasi is close to Ephesus, one of the most amazing sights we've seen), Santorini - another beautiful and unique experience, Malta - amazing historical sights

On balance I believe itin 2 offers a more wider range of experiences and attractions

Edited by Bobal

Option two!!

How does it make sense to start in Southampton, when you wanna cruise the Mediterranean?

Brilliance already starts in Med, you cover more ports, and Eastern Med (Santorini, Athens, Ephesos) are definitely worth a visit! [emoji5]

Also you will enjoy the Italian ports Brilliance is calling at, and of course Villefranche/Nice or Cannes!

Barcelona is definitely woth a pre/post-cruise-program, though! :)

Unless you particularly want to spend time in London I would go for option 2.

Independence does not really leave from London, it leaves from the city of Southampton, a 1 and a half hour drive away whereas Brilliance really does leave from the heart of Barcelona a very easy taxi ride from the airport or any of the city hotels.

The weather in the UK in June can be cool meaning sea days there and back are not really pool weather, sailing from Barcelona will be warm throughout the whole cruise. For me the Brilliance cruise also has a better mix of ports, Greece and Turkey are quite different from Spain and Italy.

One other thing, leaving from the UK means a majority of Brits onboard, leaving from Barcelona means a fair amount of Spanish and multilingual announcements, it doesn't bother us but I know some people are not so keen:)

Julie

I like # 1 really want to see Florence

La Spezia is an alternate port for Florence excursions on our upcoming Allure cruise. You have most of the same excursions as Livorno.

Edited by Ti2m

Option 2!!! We have done many Med cruises including the Independence sailing from Southampton and the crossing of the Bay of Biscay was the worst!! My best advice; explore the Med from Barcelona, Rome or Venice... We love to cruise the Baltic from England.

Edited by drarill