Live from Insignia

SellaVee

I have never been on a half-full Oceania ship. Then again, I've never been on a world cruise, especially one that got stopped before it got started! If things get too dull, perhaps you can offer to provide some entertainment. I am finding quite a bit of humor in your reports!

I did once toy with running away to sea to be a lecturer on board a cruise ship!

Mura, we were offered a reservation at Polo Grill at breakfast today so we've eaten at three specialities in a row and have a reservation for Toscana tomorrow night.

canuck.qc, with all these extra reservations she's looking less like a supermodel and more like a beach ball on legs! I'm glad you're enjoying my posts,

Sella

Cambodia was very hot! A shuttle bus was provided to take us from the foot of the gangway into the town centre which was great. As soon as the coach reached town and started to slow down the bus was surrounded by tuk tuk and taxi drivers running alongside and holding laminated maps against the windows. We were mobbed as we got off the bus but fortunately Cambodians are not a tall race and although I'm short I'm also wide so it takes more than a few lads with a piece of laminated paper to intimidate me.

We went into the local market which was a revelation. It sold everything from a needle to an anchor as my mother used to say. Fruit, vegetables, fish, fowl and flowers plus everything you might need in terms of toys and clothing, household cleaners, jewellery, watches - you name it they sold it. There was a large central aisle down the middle and lots of very narrow lanes leading off. Apart from my stalker, the taxi driver, who followed me very quietly until OH sent him to wait outside, there was no pressure at all.

I was particularly fascinated by the flower sellers who were manipulating lotus flowers from bud to bloom. I watched one older lady for some time and took lots of pictures. In the end I offered her a dollar for the photo opportunity but not speaking a word of English and unaccustomed to Western ways she then exchanged it for 4 of the most beautiful flowers having first sent for a young friend to interpret. Sometimes dignity is more important than tips. She had a sale and I had a lovely memento of my trip.

Having brought the kitchen sink, but not a vase, with me, the lotus flowers are now artistically arranged in pairs in two water bottles of the kind they dish out at the gangplank. I'm nothing if not inventive. They've been much admired at art class and are now adding a touch of real class to my stateroom.

After our trip to the market we hired a tuk tuk driver (my fickle taxi driver stalker having obviously had a better offer) to take us on a short tour of the town past the golden lion roundabout, along the beachfront and up to a temple on a hill which had young orange robed monks living there. After our visit we crossed the road to a stall and bought a coconut so that we could enjoy the "milk" on the way back.

I'd no idea Sihanoukville would be so enjoyable. It was an amazing experience.

I'd found out beforehand that we'd be docking at Klong Toey instead of Laem Chabang which was good news. Even better news was that O provided a shuttle bus to the Eastern Bus Terminal. Now all I had to do was find out where the Eastern Bus Terminal was. A quick google told me that this was quite an inspired choice. From there you could take a bus to various locations including Pattaya if you wanted to visit somewhere else but this was our first time in Bangkok so we were pleased that the bus station was next to a Skytrain stop.

On the way into town there was a "guide" on the shuttle bus who gave us hints and tips about getting around Bangkok including some local scams. Sure as fate the minute we approached the Grand Palace a chap came up to us and told us it was closed for an hour and only locals were allowed in. Apparently the idea is that he then offers to take us shopping to fill in the time.....

Now the Grand Palace wasn't quite what I was expecting because most of what we saw was outside. We followed some arrows because although there were pamphlets showing a plan of the complex the foreign language choices were Chinese or Japanese. I'm fluent in neither of these despite ordering Chinese food regularly when I'm at home and occasionally eating sushi.

The paintings in the cloisters were beautiful - lots of real gold used in their execution - and the decorations on the exterior of the building were exquisite. There was an abundance of statuary too with more gold in evidence. We waited a little while to see the Emerald Buddha as there was a service taking place and once we went in I noticed young women offering quite large bundles of lotus flowers and arrangements in the Thai style, more of which we would see the next day at the flower market. The whole complex was packed, although we bought our tickets easily enough and joined only a small queue to get in.

Once we reached the Palace building, complete with guardsmen outside I quite expected to go inside and visit the rooms. However there was no access to the building apart from some weapons rooms. Back near the ticket window there was an ornaments and coins museum which showed jewellery and tableware and also had models of the Emerald Buddha showing how he was dressed in the different seasons. When we saw him in the temple he was in his summer regalia. In the museum we saw how he would be dressed in autumn and winter. There doesn't seem to be a Thai spring.

One of the most interesting aspects for me was the textiles museum. This was right back at the gate where we came in and it featured various outfits worn on state occasions and overseas visits by the princess. It was also air conditioned! The cabinets containing the outfits were temperature and humidity controlled to preserve the garments and there was a wealth of information on each. I found it fascinating and could have spent longer there but we had a lot to see and the heat and humidity were proving a challenge.

We decided to skip the reclining Buddha and head out to the tranquility of the Museum of Floral Culture. It was like being in a different world. We had planned to return to the centre by boat but we were conscious of time passing so we asked our host's advice and he suggested a taxi to the nearest Skytrain stop.

We had a bit of a panic when we reached Ekka Mai, the stop for the Eastern Bus Station because once we came out of the carriage we had to figure out how to get down to the right place on the street. Naturally we got it wrong and had to go back up to the concourse and back down again. We could have tried crossing the road but we weren't feeling bold enough! Fortunately we were in plenty of time and as soon as we reached the right spot the shuttle bus was waiting.

The journey in by shuttle bus had taken us around 35 minutes. The journey back took less than 15 minutes. Bangkok traffic is horrendous so the Skytrain and River Boat Express are good alternatives. Taxis are plentiful but can take a while. Having the shuttle bus was great.

Thank you for the wonderful review..I also have good friends on board Keith and Ellen from California..if you run into them please tell them Jan says Hello..

Jancruz1

We've been on CC private tours together thee past two days - I said you said hello and they were delighted.

Insignia is like Cheers, the Boston Bar "where everybody knows your name...." Returning last night from a long day's touring in the heat I was hoping to sneak aboard unnoticed. Perhaps no one would recognise me. I looked like my mother, only sweatier. No such luck! Good evening Mrs SellaVee welcome aboard. After a quick lick and a promise and a rapid re acquaintance with the hairbrush, OH and I headed for the Terrace and some sustenance in the form of intravenous wine in my case and a "mucky beer" in his. Recognition reared it's head once more. I need to buy an enormous pair of sunglasses and a wig.

I hope tonight when I'm suitably coiffed and in full makeup people recognise me!

Morning Sellavee

I am so enjoying your review and joirney blog. Not a part of the world I fancy touring or cruising extensively, although I did love China, but your tales have maybe changed my mind!

Oh now isn't it always the way when you're not quite camera ready! LOL! and as for "looking like your mother", now that I relate to, more and more! LOL! But darling girl, we ladies glow, horses sweat!!!

I heard that because of the length of this cruise they weren't doing the production shows as there are only about 4 different shows which they keep repeating. This is fine if you're on for 8 - 10 days bot not so good on longer trips. Certainly we're having different entertainers brought on every few days. The two we've had so far, a vocalist and a banjo player, are leaving today and I presume two more acts will embark. I think this suits the cabaret style lounge on the Insignia. I prefer this entertainment space on the small ships to the larger theatre style lounges with the fixed seating on the O ships although those are perhaps better suited to production shows. I'll be interested to hear your experience.

Will report on the thread I started a few days ago - but honestly I cannot say that I regret that the "production numbers" won't be happening on our cruise. We usually plan to attend one and then get caught up in other things and miss it! (Sometimes the "other thing" can be drinks with friends in a bar and very often it is collapsing into bed in sheer exhaustion!!)

I love you accounts of the ports you are visiting... especially the detailed one on Bangkok. Thank you!

A few miscell. questions if you please. No one answered me on Rollcall.I am packing for Shanghai boarding. Last time on O was 07. Dinner ladies dressing; Have you observed more really casual or more dressy? With half empty ship, anyone upgraded to your knowledge? Is there a port lecturer on board? Are the drinks really PUNY as noted on CC? Thanks, Kathy

Zoncom (Kathy), I can't answer your questions concerning your specific cruise, however on our last O cruise on the Regatta in Dec, women were more casual, except for Christmas and New Years Eve, where women and men both dressed up. Think resort wear. Slacks, flowery tops, or cami/sheer tops over them for women; button down, or polo shirts, or linen/cotton blend Hawaii shirts w/slacks for men. Nice sandals or open toed shoes for women, loafers or casual shoes for men. I think it is age and cruise specific . The drinks were a standard pour for the most part (1 to 1.5 oz booze for a 6 oz drink). I think puny is subjective. We had 1 drink per night per person, and did not find them puny, but a standard drink size (6 oz drink total). We did not partake in the 241 specials, but I heard they had a 1 oz pour in them. Find a good bartender that you like, and tip him well, as we did on our second day onboard, and we found ourselves a real good buddy! He had our drinks ready as soon as we walked in the door to Martini's each night (and the pour was definitely on the heavier side, but not all booze). Depending on what you prefer to imbibe with, and how strong you pour, it is subjective.

A few miscell. questions if you please. No one answered me on Rollcall.I am packing for Shanghai boarding. Last time on O was 07. Dinner ladies dressing; Have you observed more really casual or more dressy? With half empty ship, anyone upgraded to your knowledge? Is there a port lecturer on board? Are the drinks really PUNY as noted on CC? Thanks, Kathy

Kathy, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply. We've had a couple of busy touring days and we lost the internet during today's sea day as we were out of range of the satellite.

I'm wearing mainly linen trousers with "dressy" tops in the evening, occasionally a dress, metallic or sparkly sandals and of course a pashmina as the Insignia Lounge is freezing and the dining room is none too warm. I wouldn't say any of the ladies were really casual, nor are they formally dressed. Claudia (social hostess) and Tammy (assistant cruise director) both dress rather glamourously in the evening but they are "on duty".

There are two enrichment lecturers on board. The chap is talking generally about the area and the woman is talking about Asian traditions, jewellery, fabrics etc. The Captain gave a talk about piracy today.

I wouldn't say the drinks were puny but OH is drinking bottled beer and I'm drinking the occasional cocktail. We have wine by the bottle at dinner so I'm perhaps not the best person to comment.

On my long ago O cruises I recall beautifully dressed ladies in real cruise wear Nice to hear it has not changed.See the DR temp has not changed either. I called O for whereabouts of tickets and was told there are vacant cabins. She wouldnt go into details since I booked with agency. Kathy

SellaVee

Quick question

A member of our travelling group can only drink Soda Water (health issues)

Is this included in the inclusive list of drinks? Might seem obvious but sometimes there are obscure definitions which we are unaware of.

Could you check while on board as we are on Regatta soon and would assume the same rules?

thanks

Steve

Edited by wally_bushy

SellaVee

Quick question

Is this included in the inclusive list of drinks? Might seem obvious but sometimes there are obscure definitions which we are unaware of.

Could you check while on board as we are on Regatta soon and would assume the same rules?

thanks

Steve

Only drinks with alcohol are extra charge

Your cruise will not be half half empty..many more people boarding in Shanghai

Jancruz1

SellaVee

Quick question

thanks

Steve

Soda water is widely available and soft drinks are included. You can ask your cabin steward to stock the stateroom fridge with extra soda water.

I find tonic water refreshing. On last year's cruise on Riviera I mentioned this to our steward. Not only did he stock the fridge, he placed extra cans on the shelf above. This time round, not having a shelf above I just leave a note if I'm running low though he usually keeps it stocked.

It's great when you get back from a tour to pop open a can and add it to a tumbler of ice to enjoy in your stateroom while getting changed.

On my long ago O cruises I recall beautifully dressed ladies in real cruise wear Nice to hear it has not changed.See the DR temp has not changed either. I called O for whereabouts of tickets and was told there are vacant cabins. She wouldnt go into details since I booked with agency. Kathy

Kathy, I forgot to say, it would be worth your while asking you agency to enquire about an upgrade or an upsell. It never hurts to ask.

Soda water is widely available and soft drinks are included. You can ask your cabin steward to stock the stateroom fridge with extra soda water.

I find tonic water refreshing. On last year's cruise on Riviera I mentioned this to our steward. Not only did he stock the fridge, he placed extra cans on the shelf above. This time round, not having a shelf above I just leave a note if I'm running low though he usually keeps it stocked.

It's great when you get back from a tour to pop open a can and add it to a tumbler of ice to enjoy in your stateroom while getting changed.

Thanks for the quick reply!

BTW I am a tonic water fan as well:)

You're welcome.

This itinerary is very busy and also amazingly interesting and fascinating. I'd like to describe so many things but I haven't quite got the time! I'm way behind with my notes but will try and catch up, if not while I'm on board then once I get home.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Sella

We'll know you're having a great time as your posts get shorter and shorter -- love reading them no matter how brief!

Why thank you, Don. I'm trying to keep some sort of journal on my iPad and post chunks of it on here every so often but there's so much to do and so little time .....

I haven't read a single page of a book since I got on board!

Morning Sellavee

I am so enjoying your review and joirney blog. Not a part of the world I fancy touring or cruising extensively, although I did love China, but your tales have maybe changed my mind!

Oh now isn't it always the way when you're not quite camera ready! LOL! and as for "looking like your mother", now that I relate to, more and more! LOL! But darling girl, we ladies glow, horses sweat!!!

Fairbourne, there's been many a time when I've gone well beyond gently glowing! Looking on the bright side, many of us ladies are now saying that our skin must be free of toxins as we have the equivalent of a daily sauna just by stepping outside. In our last few ports the humidity has been over 100%. Now I'm still trying to work out how that can be, but it seems to mean that everything is damp including that blue walking track at the top of the ship.

Heat and humidity aside, I'd really recommend this itinerary. It is absolutely fascinating.

On our second day in Bangkok we went to the flower market. This allowed us to try out the Chao Phraya River Express and see the city from the water. I always enjoy this type of view of a busy city.

The boat docked at what appeared to be a wide, thin, modern mall but once through this we were in the traditional flower market, a visual delight for someone as interested in flowers as I am. The first section was devoted to vegetables and there were many I didn't recognise. We crossed a road lined with flower shops and stalls then went into another market hall full of flowers. We saw many arrangements being made. Some were inverted cone shapes and these seemed to be for temple offerings, others appeared to be funeral tributes and were displayed on stands; yet more were in baskets, and some were in buckets or wraps of say 25, like in a UK wholesale market. I purchased a bunch of the purply pink and white Singapore orchids complete with solidago and added green leaves for 10 baht. Theses being smaller than the lotus flowers I'd bought earlier in the trip I had to cut down a couple of empty water bottles to make suitably sized vases.

We were better at finding the shuttle bus this time round and it soon had us back to the port. The band played for Sail Away and we had some great views sailing back down the river and out to sea en route to Ho Chi Minh City.

I couldn't stay on the Pool Deck too long as I had an art class to attend so I took my Sail Away Cocktail to the Artist's Loft*. All I had to remember was not to confuse my cocktail glass with my water pot. One had a straw, the other had brushes ..... I'm not the kind of girl who wastes a cocktail so everything was fine! Any wobbling in the painting was due to the motion of the ocean.

*A section of Horizons on the starboard side just as you enter has been used to create an Artist's Loft. Frosted glass panels act like screens to separate this area which you can enter by walking around the panels. It isn't completely enclosed so art class is sometimes accompanied by bingo!

I'm trying to bring my posts a little more up to date so I'm going to skip past Vietnam and continue with Hong Kong for now. I'll also post in sections so that none of the posts is too long and readers can omit the bits they find boring!