Angry, No. Disappointed, Yes!

movie buff

yep, if they keep your money that should give you something, besides an oh well, that is the way it is. Am I angry? No, am I disappointed in Celebrity? Yep. Customer service matters all the time. I never asked them for the money back. I ended up in the hospital and I could not go on the trip. I had insurance and that covered most of my costs but I would like to think that when someone pays for something there should be some benefit. I know in my business when someone has to cancel last minute on me I allow them to make it up later...even though I lose money that day.

We were booked and paid in a Concierge Class C1 (aft) on M-class. Then, after final payment, Celebrity released unsold Category FV staterooms to general sales, no longer requiring a minimum of 4-5 passengers. Having sailed in cat FV a number of times on M-class ships, we jumped at the chance to switch (downgrade) to a corner FV. Although Concierge C1 is a higher-priced category than FV, we were fine knowing we would not receive a refund in the price difference since it was after final payment. We would happily pay a Concierge C1 fare any day and sail in cat FV (at least on M-class) as our own personal feeling is that a corner FV is an upgrade over an aft C1, even though Celebrity considers otherwise.

But where Celebrity disappointed us was taking away two of the three amenities of the 123GO promotion that come with booking and paying for Concierge Class ($300 OBC, prepaid gratuities and Classic Beverage package). Now that we were in cat FV (although still paying for Concierge), we had to select one of the three and forego the other two.

While we understand rules and restrictions of various promotions, it would have been nice if Celebrity had let us retain all three amenities of 123GO based on the fact we were paying for a category (C1) that qualifies for all three.

Celebrity gets to "have their cake and eat it, too" in this situation since they're not obligated to give a rate adjustment (fine by us), but at the same time not believing they're obligated to provide the amenities that come with the category paid.

Angry, no. Disappointed in =X=, yes! :rolleyes:

Thoughts and opinions?

Reverse the scenario, if you paid to upgrade to a full suite would you expect to get what that category offered? You got what you asked for and exactly what comes with that category.

WestCoastCruiser, in my case the airline charged a $300 re-booking fee and then told me that when I re-book I should call them and ask for a refund of $250 of that $300 so I would not expect anything else. Celebrity refunded just under $500 in port fees. The good news is I had a very positive out come from my "little cardiac adventure" and it looks like the world is stuck with me for a lot of years to come. We are booked with Celebrity for the next two trips and we will see how it goes. The airline did a whole lot more for me than X or the TA. The TA did lose my business. Yes, the whole trip insurance claim process was grueling, especially when they 'lost" my paperwork for over a month. Needless to say, I don't use that provider anymore either but I do make sure my trip is insured as soon as it is booked since I now have a pre-existing condition. Getting old is an adventure that is not for the feint of heart.....but it beats the alternative.

We were EXTREMELY disappointed in our travel agent as well. Had used that particular person for decades and was absolutely no help whatsoever in dealing with the issue. Our business is now directed elsewhere, too. It was enough to deal with emergency surgery but then to prove it every which way and submit, resubmit again and again - it is an endurance test, to be sure. But, yes, I have recovered and much to be thankful for. We, too, have switched insurance companies in the process. There is a learning curve. Actually, Celebrity was great to work with when we cancelled and again, now, with our cabin change and perk benefit. So, yes, the world is "stuck" with me a while longer as is Celebrity :)

yep, if they keep your money that should give you something, besides an oh well, that is the way it is. Am I angry? No, am I disappointed in Celebrity? Yep. Customer service matters all the time. I never asked them for the money back. I ended up in the hospital and I could not go on the trip. I had insurance and that covered most of my costs but I would like to think that when someone pays for something there should be some benefit. I know in my business when someone has to cancel last minute on me I allow them to make it up later...even though I lose money that day.

Oh well, I guess they should give you your money back without any real possibility of being able to replace you on short notice and give you some points for a cruise you didn't take. Seriously, they wouldn't be in business for long if they just refunded people's money at the last minute.

Oh well, I guess they should give you your money back without any real possibility of being able to replace you on short notice and give you some points for a cruise you didn't take. Seriously, they wouldn't be in business for long if they just refunded people's money at the last minute.

He paid 75% of the fare, he should get 75% of the points. How on earth does giving him loyalty program points commensurate with what he paid put X out of business??

I never asked for my money back from Celebrity. They have their rules, the rules are published clearly when you book. I don't have an issue with that at all. That is what we buy insurance for now. I am just disappointed in a company that is supposed to be all about customer service giving me nothing more than "gee we are sorry". They have two chances coming up this year to do better....and so do I. On my side, I am just working hard at staying healthy so I can go on these trips. So far, so good for me.

Westcoastcruisers, any surgery is never fun, dealing with emergency surgery is even tougher. I was lucky with mine, the outcome was very good and my recovery was pretty quick. Not quick enough to travel since I was released from the hospital the day we were supposed to fly out but within a month I was pretty much able to do 90% of what I wanted to do and I felt a whole lot better....I dodged a bullet for sure... Glad you did too.