Angry, No. Disappointed, Yes!

movie buff

We were booked and paid in a Concierge Class C1 (aft) on M-class. Then, after final payment, Celebrity released unsold Category FV staterooms to general sales, no longer requiring a minimum of 4-5 passengers. Having sailed in cat FV a number of times on M-class ships, we jumped at the chance to switch (downgrade) to a corner FV. Although Concierge C1 is a higher-priced category than FV, we were fine knowing we would not receive a refund in the price difference since it was after final payment. We would happily pay a Concierge C1 fare any day and sail in cat FV (at least on M-class) as our own personal feeling is that a corner FV is an upgrade over an aft C1, even though Celebrity considers otherwise.

But where Celebrity disappointed us was taking away two of the three amenities of the 123GO promotion that come with booking and paying for Concierge Class ($300 OBC, prepaid gratuities and Classic Beverage package). Now that we were in cat FV (although still paying for Concierge), we had to select one of the three and forego the other two.

While we understand rules and restrictions of various promotions, it would have been nice if Celebrity had let us retain all three amenities of 123GO based on the fact we were paying for a category (C1) that qualifies for all three.

Celebrity gets to "have their cake and eat it, too" in this situation since they're not obligated to give a rate adjustment (fine by us), but at the same time not believing they're obligated to provide the amenities that come with the category paid.

Angry, no. Disappointed in =X=, yes! :rolleyes:

Thoughts and opinions?

We understand your disappointment. The room category is a down-class. We did the same thing on a sailing a year ago. Paid for a C1, switched to FV and even though the FV was $100 lower at the time of the switch, we had to pay the C1 price. We were able to keep our perks because they had not changed at the time the switch was made, but we lost 14 Captain's Club points each in the end even though our paid fares were for C1 not FV. We too were rather disappointed in the end. We did enjoy the balcony immensely, but found several aspects of the cabin were in dire need of maintenance. We would rather have the points now:confused:

Boy this is a tough one. Technically, they were within their rights. But considering you originally purchased (and are paying for) a Concierge Class it would have been a nice gesture to allow you to keep your original benefits. Given the supreme popularity of those FV cabins (in particular the corner FV's!), I just don't understand why they categorize them lower than the CC cabins in particular. Anyone who books one (in particular corners) needs to make sure they put 'do not upgrade' on their reservation or they even risk losing them by an 'upgrade' to Concierge Class! I for one would not be happy if that happened!! (it is rare, but it can happen - something to keep in mind)

We lost ALL of our 123GO promo when we changed from a concierge to aqua class for our trip starting this Sunday. Go figure - you upgrade your stateroom for more $$ then you lose your promo! That one was a bummer; however we do have BLU.....which is our preferred dining preference.

We were booked and paid in a Concierge Class C1 (aft) on M-class. Then, after final payment, Celebrity released unsold Category FV staterooms to general sales, no longer requiring a minimum of 4-5 passengers. Having sailed in cat FV a number of times on M-class ships, we jumped at the chance to switch (downgrade) to a corner FV. Although Concierge C1 is a higher-priced category than FV, we were fine knowing we would not receive a refund in the price difference since it was after final payment. We would happily pay a Concierge C1 fare any day and sail in cat FV (at least on M-class) as our own personal feeling is that a corner FV is an upgrade over an aft C1, even though Celebrity considers otherwise.

But where Celebrity disappointed us was taking away two of the three amenities of the 123GO promotion that come with booking and paying for Concierge Class ($300 OBC, prepaid gratuities and Classic Beverage package). Now that we were in cat FV (although still paying for Concierge), we had to select one of the three and forego the other two.

While we understand rules and restrictions of various promotions, it would have been nice if Celebrity had let us retain all three amenities of 123GO based on the fact we were paying for a category (C1) that qualifies for all three.

Celebrity gets to "have their cake and eat it, too" in this situation since they're not obligated to give a rate adjustment (fine by us), but at the same time not believing they're obligated to provide the amenities that come with the category paid.

Thoughts and opinions?

It would have been "nice" indeed, but promotions are linked to cabin category and not price of cruise. When you chose to move down you,in effect,agreed to the benefits for your new category. I have found myself in the same situation and believed that getting the additional space and layout of a FV was well worth the trade off. If Celebrity offered you the opportunity to have your original C1 back with the benefits would you give up the FV? If not, you really don't have a reason to be upset.

It would have been "nice" indeed, but promotions are linked to cabin category and not price of cruise. When you chose to move down you,in effect,agreed to the benefits for your new category. I have found myself in the same situation and believed that getting the additional space and layout of a FV was well worth the trade off. If Celebrity offered you the opportunity to have your original C1 back with the benefits would you give up the FV? If not, you really don't have a reason to be upset.

We're not really upset, just disappointed in =X= as I said. The price difference between what we paid for C1 and FV was, believe it or not, nearly $900 per person. As I posted earlier, we were fine with no rate adjustment since it was after final payment - we totally "get" that. We just felt with that big of a price difference between the categories, it comes across as a bit of a cheap shot for =X= to nickel and dime us out of $300 OBC and prepaid gratuities.

We're not really upset, just disappointed in =X= as I said. The price difference between what we paid for C1 and FV was, believe it or not, nearly $900 per person. As I posted earlier, we were fine with no rate adjustment since it was after final payment - we totally "get" that. We just felt with that big of a price difference between the categories, it comes across as a bit of a cheap shot for =X= to nickel and dime us out of $300 OBC and prepaid gratuities.

I'm certain that I wouldn't have moved down if it cost me that amount, but we all have different wants and needs. In fact I'd see how much it would have cost me to move up to a S2 and perhaps get additional OBC that comes with that category. You might consider doing this if the price difference is right.If you booked through a TA you might ask them about gratuties since their commission is based on price paid.

Just curious -- did the booking rep warn you (or your TA) that you would lose your 123-GO perks, by switching to the FV? In the past, I've called X about some price drops on my cabin, only to be told that I would lose my original booking promo perks, if I opted for the price drop. It can be a tough choice, but you have to go with what works for you.

Thoughts and opinions?

That is the kind of thing that just irritates me beyond words.We have had similar issues in the past but thankfully our TA is like an an angry pit bull and has been able to provide a remedy in most cases. It really is a sign of poor customer service to pull a stunt like that but sadly Celebrity's shoreside operation is one of the worst in this regard. We strayed this past January and sailed Cunard. There simply was no comparison in shoreside service...none. We had a situation where the ship was delayed by 8 hours getting into Southampton. Cunard secured the use of the local enclosed football stadium's suites to house their passengers who were waiting to board. Everyone received a text or a phone call, and they had someone dedicated to monitoring social media providing answers to questions posted online. I remember thinking, yeah...Celebrity just does not have the chops to pull this off. I love Celebrity's ship board experience more than any other line but their shoreside operation and website are a mere shadow of what they should be.

Thoughts and opinions?

While I understand your disappointment, I also understand why Celebrity didn't allow you to keep your extra Concierge perks when you changed to a different cabin category.

Even though you paid for a Concierge, they now have a vacant Concierge cabin, and likely at a lower price than you paid. They will now have to give all three perks to the next person reserving that cabin at a lower price.

That's the problem with reserving early. You get the date you want, and you choose your cabin, but after final payment, if the price drops or a different cabin becomes available, you are stuck.

Just curious -- did the booking rep warn you (or your TA) that you would lose your 123-GO perks, by switching to the FV? In the past, I've called X about some price drops on my cabin, only to be told that I would lose my original booking promo perks, if I opted for the price drop.

We do keep up with the various promotions and their rules and restrictions, so we did not go into this category change blindsided. We weren't 100% certain, however, how Celebrity would "rule" in this particular situation. Knowing now how they ruled, we still would have made the decision to change categories based on our love of those corner FV's. As I said, we were just disappointed they ruled the way they did.

I'd see how much it would have cost me to move up to a S2 and perhaps get additional OBC that comes with that category. You might consider doing this if the price difference is right.

In most scenarios we would have done exactly that. However in this particular situation we are sailing with friends who are in an oceanview and we wouldn't consider moving to a suite since we'd be assigned different dining venues. If I'm going to pay for a suite, I sure has heck plan to dine in Luminae! ;)

You are really only getting the benefits of the new category when it suits them, actually. I was originally booked in a veranda with only one perk. After the final payment the promotion temporarily ended and I called to upgrade to Aqua but was told I would lose the perk because it was a new booking (essentially). A week later the promotion came back and it was after the final payment but while the special was still going on. Once again I called to upgrade to Aqua, but I was not given all three perks. They explained that I was still under my old promotion and room category. So, what ever benefits X is what you will get.

That is the kind of thing that just irritates me beyond words.We have had similar issues in the past but thankfully our TA is like an an angry pit bull and has been able to provide a remedy in most cases. It really is a sign of poor customer service to pull a stunt like that but sadly Celebrity's shoreside operation is one of the worst in this regard. We strayed this past January and sailed Cunard. There simply was no comparison in shoreside service...none. We had a situation where the ship was delayed by 8 hours getting into Southampton. Cunard secured the use of the local enclosed football stadium's suites to house their passengers who were waiting to board. Everyone received a text or a phone call, and they had someone dedicated to monitoring social media providing answers to questions posted online. I remember thinking, yeah...Celebrity just does not have the chops to pull this off. I love Celebrity's ship board experience more than any other line but their shoreside operation and website are a mere shadow of what they should be.

This has been noted in some prior posts:

I was on the Connie TA last November that was supposed to leave from Civitavecchia. The night before we were to leave the Captain was informed that due to weather the ship could not dock there and needed to go to Naples. Celebrity chartered 91 buses to transport disembarking passengers to FCO and bring embarking passengers to Naples to meet the ship. Those who had paid for transportation received a full refund.

I was on the first part of a B2B on a TA from Barcelona. Learned the night before the end of the cruise that there would be a major delay due to a deep cleaning. Celebrity provided free tours for the more than 400 passengers on the B2B and sent e-mails to those not on tour telling them the situation.

Only 2 personal examples of many of how well Celebrity responded.Actually we've seen recent posts where some are complaining about the number of e-mails from Celebrity tellingof possible delays and changes in plans.

Edited by Orator

We do keep up with the various promotions and their rules and restrictions, so we did not go into this category change blindsided. We weren't 100% certain, however, how Celebrity would "rule" in this particular situation. Knowing now how they ruled, we still would have made the decision to change categories based on our love of those corner FV's. As I said, we were just disappointed they ruled the way they did.

Were the 3 perks ever offered when booking standard balcony cabins on your sailing? Only ask as this may be the issue i.e. we have a booking for Europe where we qualify for all 3 perks in a standard balcony cabin, however, we also have another reservation (not Europe) for a FV that only qualifies for 1 of the 3. Our friends qualify for all 3 on both sailings: first cruise in a veranda (Europe) and then in Concierge. Just a thought :confused:?

Were the 3 perks ever offered when booking standard balcony cabins on your sailing?

Yes, however at the time Celebrity released the FV staterooms for general bookings, the current promo only allowed 1 perk for standard balconies (all 3 for Concierge and above).

I fail to understand how this is an example of poor customer service, or why it is a 'stunt' to be pulled?? Celebrity has rules. The situation was handled according to the rules. The OP knew the rules and decided to change anyway. Would it have been nice for an exception given the circumstances? Sure. But this really has nothing to do with their shoreside operation IMHO

Even though you paid for a Concierge, they now have a vacant Concierge cabin, and likely at a lower price than you paid. They will now have to give all three perks to the next person reserving that cabin at a lower price.

Why do they "have to" give those perks to the next person reserving that cabin at a lower price?

Couldn't they just make that cabin unavailable until the promo finishes?

Why do they "have to" give those perks to the next person reserving that cabin at a lower price?

Once a cabin becomes available it immediately returns to inventory. Whomever books it gets the price and the perks in effect at the time of their booking. Prices might be up or do Typically the price comes down if close to sailing and plenty of availablity.My guess is that if the price is right someone in a lower category might pay a few extra bucks to snag it. However, they too would lose whatever perks they have if they rebook and would receive the perks at the time of their new booking. Might pay more, might pay the same, might pay less. Might get more, might get leaa,might get the same. Who knows?

Celebrity is only following their long held policy.

Seriously? Think about your question.

This is a business like any other. They are not going to do that.

If you owned a business, would YOU refuse to sell something on the chance that someone will buy it when your sale is over?

Hmmm...I transferred our booking from =X= to a TA yesterday. Not within final payment, so she had me cancel the original booking, and she rebooked at a lower rate and with a higher balcony category on the same cruise. I was able to keep all three "Go" perks.

Seriously? Think about your question.

This is a business like any other. They are not going to do that.

If you owned a business, would YOU refuse to sell something on the chance that someone will buy it when your sale is over?

Businesses have sales all the time and only put a limited amount of their inventory up for sale at promotional rates

We lost ALL of our 123GO promo when we changed from a concierge to aqua class for our trip starting this Sunday. Go figure - you upgrade your stateroom for more $$ then you lose your promo! That one was a bummer; however we do have BLU.....which is our preferred dining preference.

We lost the 123 Go with upgrading to AQ and paying more also.

Why did you two have to give up your 123 Go perks for upgrading to AQ?

We upgraded a stateroom and were able to keep all 3 perks. :confused: Also got a price drop on a "before final" cruise and able to keep perks.