Steel Drums making a comeback

pamrose228

Hmm. Good news. Switched over to Royal for our last cruise partly because of the lack of the steel band.

Maybe we'll wander on back. This is good news for those of us who love this music while cruising. I realize everyone doesn't like it but it puts me in an island frame of mind:)

Curious where you saw this? I see his FB and he says they have a Caribbean/Calypso duo on the Pride and to "look out for more of them on a ship near you". However, I see nothing about steel drums?

What do you think a Calypso duo is?

Edited by pamrose228

People shouldn't be mad because they read what they wanted into the original post. Steel drums are boring.

Not mad..............just disappointed. As long as it is not DJ music & Carnival has some live Calypso band music, I'm good :).

OK, I'm just teasing about quitting Carnival. We love them and live in Houston, so we will never quit sailing Carnival unless they move away from TX. Then again, we like them in the Med too, so I guess you can say we are hooked.

Anyway, in regards to the OP ...

Live music is always more fun but Steel Drum music…now that's Caribbean and puts me in a Cruising state of mind. We have a local restaurant that has a steel drum playing on the weekends and it always puts us in a vacation mood and brings us back to the restaurant. The food is good, but the live Steel Drum music is the reason we continue to dine there.

Even piped in Steel Drum music around the pool would be better than the same old "hits", in our humble opinion. ;)

John Heard announced they are back on the Pride and are being rolled out to other ships. I love this and one great Carnival move.

Well a Calypso band that incorporates steel drums is still 500% better than any Carnival DJ.

Best news I've heard in ages! Thanks for sharing, Pam.

P.S. Don't you love it when the Debbie downers try to pee in your Wheaties? Lol. Jamaican Rastafarian is just fine too.

Edited by winddawn

What he said is that there will be a duo playing Caribbean inspired music. It will usually be a guitar player and a keyboard, but the keyboardist will use a steel drum sound as he or she chooses based on the song. He never said they would be actual steel drums.

I'm excited about them putting live duos back out vs. the DJ's and I'm glad it's not just steel drums he's talking about. They are so one note and after about 15 minutes, they are boring and kind of annoying by then. Just my opinion.

Just wanted to clarify what JH said so that people who think he meant actual steel drums aren't misunderstanding the post.

Hi Cruisers

One would think with all the posts on this topic Carnival would have made the move before this. Caribbean cruising goes hand in with Steel drums bands for us. We have wander to other lines for the cruise experience we enjoy. Carnival with it's other changes (journey cruises etc).is slowly getting back to where is was before. At the top of the game. Way to go.:D

looking to cruise

kruise runner:cool: