is the Jr Suite worth it? Independence of the Seas

we have a great cabin - mid ship 8th floor - with a balcony!... but thinking of upgrading as a surprise for Hubby

is is worth it to upgrade to a JS? The room is bigger - but are the perks worth the $1,000 to upgrade?

LOVE everyone here - so Helpful!!

Thank you

Is this an 8 day sailing or a 6 day sailing?

Is the $1,000 upgrade the total price for both people?

Assuming it's an 8 day cruise and the total is $500 per person, I would say it's ALMOST worth it for me.

Last year we stayed in a Junior Suite. This year, (and 2 other times before that), we stayed in a normal balcony cabin. We really missed the Junior Suite for 4 reasons:

1. Walk in Closet - this is amazing! I was amazed at how little space the standard cabin has compared to this JS closet!
  2. Bathroom - the JS has a proper tub - no more taking a shower in the tube. My DW really missed the tub for shaving her legs, but made due with the counter in the standard balcony
  3. Cabin seating. The JS is a NICE place to relax - couple of chairs and a sofa. Standard balcony has a sofa/loveseat only (which is usually full of our purchases by day 2-3)
  4. Balcony - the JS balcony has lay down loungers on it! Only a few of the aft standard balconies have this - for us, this is a HUGE thing since we LOVE spending time on the balcony.

But.. having said all of that, I value this at approx $100-125/day MORE than I paid for the standard balcony. IF I had a standard balcony without loungers (not on the aft), then I might bump this up to $125 per day - which is right in that $1,000 window you find yourself in.

We had our first junior suite last cruise on the Liberty. I loved the bath tub and extra large balcony. I would not pay $1000 extra for it. It was my Christmas gift and it was lovely, but that is a lot of cash. I may not ever see another one....not at those prices. We lucked out on a great price.

I would not pay $1,000 more for a JS. We love the extra space in the cabin and the balcony but not for that much money. The only time I might consider it would be if the extra point per night pushed me to a different C&A level with better benefits (emerald to diamond or diamond to diamond +).

IMO $1000.00 is a little too much for me to upgrade to a JS. Maybe a GS that you could actually get the extra benefit of the lounge.

I vote this way also. Double cruise points but no suite perks outside of stateroom amenities. Too much for me.

When is your trip?

A good time to look for a value upgrade is after the final payment- we've been able to upgrade one class up a few times without paying more- up to JS a few times, and up to a GS a few times.

If $1000 is too much now, the value equation could very much change in your favor. Keep an eye on the price.

There are no real "perks" with a JS...except for priority boarding.... JS's don't get all the "suite" stuff...that's for GS's and above.

BUT..the space is great! More like a real hotel room. I love JS's!

Don't forget about the double C&A points!

To help you, here are some pics of our standard balcony, and pics of our Junior Suite.

top one, obviously the JS

DSC_0225_zps48311a7f.jpg

Here is the std balcony:

DSC_5967_zps8f557ace.jpg

Thank you Toddcan! your pictures make a difference! we are seasoned Disney cruisers and the JS is about the same size as the Family balcony rooms and the extra room makes a difference for us as we enjoy our room too especially the balcony!! - I am an earlier riser and to have the sitting area - next to the balcony it key -as I can enjoy my early mornings while hubby sleeps -

it is an 8 night cruise.... the sad part now is the mid ship cabin that was available is not gone :( .... so will rethink -

In my opinion, since you asked;), for $1000k, more, the square footage is not much more, you have the sitting area in the balcony you already booked, you gain closet space and a tub. Are you one to really enjoy a tub that much? Does your packing justify needing to hang that much more clothing in closet space?

For me, I always look at a JR, prior to buying our balcony and never can justify it. It is a very personal question when it comes down to $$ spent. I'd rather put that 1k, down on the next cruise and tweek another out on a standard balcony... but that's me... I have a closet and a bath at home... I don't have the sun and sand... so I don't book it... despite my itchy fingers. To each their own, you'll know what is right for you.

We changed from a balcony in our coming cruise to the inside promanade, and saved over $1k, which pushes the savings to do a w eek in Aruba in December. That decision was a no brainer. For an additional week of vacay.... I gave up my balcony. Again... to each their own. If I only had two weeks off a year, I'd look at the value. I'm optimizing my time off. Either way, you'll have a great cruise. I just can't see a closet and a tub being worth it. take care.

Edited by nimbex1970

Don't forget about the double C&A points

This is a valid point, if you are one of those racking them up to get to the next level. To some/many this is important. Me, no, I cruise with RCCL when I want to cruse and don't 't pay more for what I have at home for a point system for a lounge and what not... The extra points however may be important to you, something to consider, especially if you only cruise for vacation. Many claim the perks are worth it... good point to ponder if the perks are something you find valuable.

I upgraded yesterday from a balcony room to a Junior Suite and it cost me $1.98 Whaaat?! April 20th Liberty, it definitely pays to keep an eye on the prices everyday.....[emoji568][emoji485][emoji572]️[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk