Puerto Vallarta - Where for Mexican lunch?

Weena

This probably might not be too helpful at this point in time, however, when we were in Puerto Vallarta in 2008 we went on a Princess sponsored tour to an "all inclusive" resort for a day. The surprising thing was the lunch buffet had a variety of "local, Mexican dishes" as well as "Americanized Mexican dishes". Don't know if this tour is still available, or what the cost would be, but, it was a good deal at the time we did it. Good food, good drinks (alcohol was included) and a really nice beach for beach time. Hope you find the food you are looking for! :cool:

On Crown 4/11/15-- Any suggestions as to where to walk for Mexican Food? Or will we need to take a Taxi? Two ladies hungry for good Tacos, margaritas....

Try Vallarta Eats. It's a walking tour of the Old Town, with stops at 10 or so different street stands. The food was great, the tour was fun -

This probably might not be too helpful at this point in time, however, when we were in Puerto Vallarta in 2008 we went on a Princess sponsored tour to an "all inclusive" resort for a day. The surprising thing was the lunch buffet had a variety of "local, Mexican dishes" as well as "Americanized Mexican dishes". Don't know if this tour is still available, or what the cost would be, but, it was a good deal at the time we did it. Good food, good drinks (alcohol was included) and a really nice beach for beach time. Hope you find the food you are looking for! :cool:

Was that a boat ride to Las Caletas? Its a great excursion! :D

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip

Was that a boat ride to Las Caletas? Its a great excursion! :D

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip

Well, that looks good, too. Ours was a bus ride south of town to an all inclusive resort, as in a hotel type place on a really nice stretch of beach. As I said, probably too long ago to be helpful. We did have a great day, though.

Try Vallarta Eats. It's a walking tour of the Old Town, with stops at 10 or so different street stands. The food was great, the tour was fun -

-Vallarta Eats- sounds perfect as we'll have a very short time to explore. I'll look online & find out the How-To of hooking up w this tour. (transportation to & from)[emoji4] Thanks!

Colo Cruiser -you are a treasure trove of Specific Info. Any thoughts on one of those places I'll walk by for peel-n-eat Shrimp??? or Oysters on half shell (if good in Baja)?

-Vallarta Eats- sounds perfect as we'll have a very short time to explore. I'll look online & find out the How-To of hooking up w this tour. (transportation to & from)[emoji4] Thanks!

If I remember correctly, we took a cab to the designated meeting place and joined the tour. There were six of us. It's top-rated on Trip Advisor. Several of the places even made speciality items for me because I cannot eat fish. It was one of our favorite excursions.

Well, we certainly like Joe Jack's as much as many PV winter residents, but would not categorize their food as "Mexican." although they do have some traditional PV Mexican food like grilled snapper. In fact, Joe Jacks is best known for its very good Fish and Chips (All you can eat on Friday nights) and they also make a pretty decent hamburger. One problem we have making recommendations is that what many US folks think of as Mexican food is probably closer to what lots of us call Tex/Mex.

As to my own recommendations, all of the places we really like are only open for dinner :(. So we shall watch, with some curiosity, to see what other folks recommend. One possibility would be a new small place on Madaro (the name of the street) called Restaurant Adobe. This is a relatively new Mexican food restaurant that has drawn a lot of customers ever since it opened this season. The food is typical of the Mexican cuisine popular in PV (lots of seafood) and the prices are very reasonable. Unlike most of our personal favorites, Adobes is open at lunch time.

Hank

My husband and I have had many great dinners here in PV with Hank and his lovely wife. I agree with his comments about Joe Jacks. In fact, coincidentally, I had fish and chips there today for lunch. Delicious (always is).

As far as Adobe -- it is very good. The presentation is great and the food is quite good. It is not a large place and a few of the tables are right on the sidewalk. They have luncheon specials that include soup, several choices of a main course and a fruit drink for 50 pesos (less than five dollars). They are open for lunch and dinner.

For more upscale - one of my favourite places right on the beach is Coco Tropical. They also serve lunch and dinner and have some authentic Mexican food items on their menu as well as hamburgers etc. They are located at the end of Basillo Badillo facing the ocean. Also Daiquiri Dick's right next to Coco Tropical has great food and also serve lunch and dinner.

Wendy

One possibility would be a new small place on Madaro (the name of the street) called Restaurant Adobe. This is a relatively new Mexican food restaurant that has drawn a lot of customers ever since it opened this season. The food is typical of the Mexican cuisine popular in PV (lots of seafood) and the prices are very reasonable. Unlike most of our personal favorites, Adobes is open at lunch time.

Hank

What is the cross street for Adobe restaurant?

It's on Madero - cross street is Ignacio Vallarta. The blue bus stops within one block of Adobe. You would get off after the bus goes over the bridge onto Vallarta Street. You would cross the street and turn left onto Madero.

Wendy

It's on Madero - cross street is Ignacio Vallarta. The blue bus stops within one block of Adobe. You would get off after the bus goes over the bridge onto Vallarta Street. You would cross the street and turn left onto Madero.

Wendy

Wendy

Thanks. Love taking the bus.