Shore Excursions Falmouth & Labadee worth the money??

Hi there! Just booked a cruise for January 2016. Heading to Falmouth, Jamaica and Labadee, Haiti. Was wondering if there were any shore excursions worth the $$?

OR.....are the beaches at the port nice enough?

Please help! Thanks much!

Hi there! Just booked a cruise for January 2016. Heading to Falmouth, Jamaica and Labadee, Haiti. Was wondering if there were any shore excursions worth the $$?

For Labadee, we just enjoy the beach. We did a snorkel excursion there once and were disappointed. If you're making it a beach day, when you get there consult a map and walk or take the tram to Nellie's Beach or Columbus Cove. Many first timers to Labadee settle with the first beach they see and it's rocky, often windy, and not good for swimming. Nellie's and Columbus Cove are sandy and calm.

For Falmouth, you'll get mixed answers about beaches and the port in general. We've only been there twice...first time booked an independent excursion to Hilton Rose Hall (all inclusive resort) that had a wonderful beach, pool, water slides, lazy river, swim-up bar. On our second, none of the excursions appealed to us so we just walked around the gated port area for shopping and lunch/drinks at Margaritaville, then went back and enjoyed the ship's pool and hot tubs.

For Labadee, we just enjoy the beach. We did a snorkel excursion there once and were disappointed. If you're making it a beach day, when you get there consult a map and walk or take the tram to Nellie's Beach or Columbus Cove. Many first timers to Labadee settle with the first beach they see and it's rocky, often windy, and not good for swimming. Nellie's and Columbus Cove are sandy and calm.

For Falmouth, you'll get mixed answers about beaches and the port in general. We've only been there twice...first time booked an independent excursion to Hilton Rose Hall (all inclusive resort) that had a wonderful beach, pool, water slides, lazy river, swim-up bar. On our second, none of the excursions appealed to us so we just walked around the gated port area for shopping and lunch/drinks at Margaritaville, then went back and enjoyed the ship's pool and hot tubs.

Thank you so much for the info! Did you find that the Hilton Rose Hall was worth the $$? For a family of 4, it would be approx $475.....?

Labadee is the private beach for RCI...unless you WANT to spend money there, it's not necessary at all! Loungers are everywhere...hammocks, too! Lunch is provided from the ship. Just like on the ship, any soda or alcohol is extra...drink packages do work here.

You can spend money on zip-lining, roller coaster, waterspouts, cabanas, etc....but you do not have to!

We tool the coastal tour excursion and highly recommend it. 1 1/2 hr boat tour which takes out to private island and then back along the coast. Many local come up in boat and show you what they catch. Also will see private homes and the village where the market people live. very interesting.You have a choice of times. We went around 1:30.

We tool the coastal tour excursion and highly recommend it. 1 1/2 hr boat tour which takes out to private island and then back along the coast. Many local come up in boat and show you what they catch. Also will see private homes and the village where the market people live. very interesting.You have a choice of times. We went around 1:30.

I was going to suggest this tour also. I enjoyed it immensely. Relaxing, great views, educational as well. About $50 per person.

This is at Labadee.

We took the Haiti "cultural" tour in Labadee. True, it is very much "touristy" with artificial village; but we did get a glimpse of how the native of Haiti live, and we can compare to our Indonesian daily life. There is some free time so I swim on the beach as well. Nice excursion.

In Falmouth, we took the Falmouth excursion and we think it is a waste of time.

In Cozumel we did our own private tour. And we enjoyed it very much.

in Falmouth we did the bamboo rafting down the Martha Bre it was good our guide told us all about the area and didn't stop at all the people on the bank trying to sell you stuff it was worth the money.

Labadee was just a beach day I did the zip line and it was cool but want need to do it again for that price anyways

Thank you so much for the info! Did you find that the Hilton Rose Hall was worth the $$? For a family of 4, it would be approx $475.....?

Hmm - we liked it but just the two of us. They have three major restaurants (beach has GREAT jerk chicken/pork and rice/beans). Indoor buffet has great desserts. Bars are nice, although the swim-up at the lazy river is a bit slow (only one bartender but a really nice guy). Lazy river area has four or five water slides that kids seemed to like (so did I). Older kids might get bored. We got loungers near there and spent whole day. Pool is nice - few people were using it when we were there, mostly just soaking up sun. Beach is lousy - mostly rocks and water pretty murky. Usual gift and hair braid kiosks.

You can buy this direct from the hotel and it is cheaper. The resort is maybe a 15 minute cab ride west of the port. With the ship tour you spend quite a bit of time waiting for the bus to leave and then meet at a certain time. Most folks would rather spend more time there, which is possible with taxis. We found 3 1/2 hours to be enough for us.

Check the Jamaica board for lots of discussions on shore activities.

Let me add to chorus of people recommending the Hilton Rose Hall resort in Jamaica. My family and I went there a couple of years ago when we were docked in Falmouth, and we had a great time. My kids were in their late teens, and there was enough for them to do for the short time we were there that they didn't get bored. The Seaside Grill serves some great jerk chicken for lunch (although, I'm sure the pork is good, too), but be sure you don't make the same mistake we did by arriving in wet bathing suits. :D If you don't want to change into dry clothes for lunch, there is a walk-up cafe next to the waterpark you can go to, instead. Every member of the staff we met was friendly and attentive, but Tasha Lee met us as soon as we got there, and took care of most of our needs from the moment we arrived.

As far as Labadee goes, my boys and I are thrill-seekers, and we loved the zipline and the coaster. But, there's plenty of things to do -- or, not do -- that don't cost a fortune.

So, that's my two cents. :)

We thought it was worth it for two adults, mainly because it included all that we cared to drink. $475 would be tough to stomach but we're not used to buying excursions for 4 or with kids.

If you feel comfortable with it look at private tours. you might come out better. there are many tour companies at the port that will take you on a tour. many people do Dun River Falls as it is one of the main attractions.

you have plenty of time for a tour, lunch and make it back in plenty of time.

check out tripadvisor dot com too for reviews..

For us, Labadee is a beach day. (Full disclosure, we love beach days)

Count us among those wondering about Falmouth. We have been to Jamaica several times, but not to Falmouth. Jamaica is a beautiful place, but can be quite intimidating to explore on your own. It appears to me that organized shore excursions in Falmouth take up quite a bit of time because of the distance to the attractions. We may just stay inside the gates or even stay onboard (which we have never done before while in port). However, a good suggestion may easily change our minds.

We just returned from the Independence and did the Dream Catamaran sail and snorkel at Falmouth. We truly enjoyed it and felt it was worth the $$. It was a lovely day. I had read before our trip that there wasn't enough snorkel time, but we felt there was ample time to snorkel and enjoyed the ride there and back. Food and drinks were available and the crew offered good service and also saw them giving extra help to those new to snorkeling. We had gone to Jamaica on prior cruises and felt you had to have an excursion. Previously, we docked at Ocho Rios, but this time at Falmouth the port is beautiful. Could have easily just wondered the area and returned to the ship.

Can't give you a current answer on Labadee, but on previous cruises we have used it strictly as a beach day. Great spot to wander and relax.

For Falmouth, I was there 1-2 years ago, and had read mixed opinions about doing anything other than a ship's excursion or staying within the gated area and shopping. But my boyfriend and I decided to wander out into the town. From the ship we could see an interesting looking old stone church, and he wanted to try to check email, so we went off in that general direction. We had a nice walk near the water and through the town square area; there are some signs placed at various locations to share some of the history and significance of that site or building so you can get a bit of a self-guided tour. At the church, we met an old gentleman who chatted with us and shared information about the history of the church. I think he helped take care of the grounds, and I don't know if he was hoping to get some money from us but he didn't ask. Some young local kids in school uniforms, maybe around 6 or 7 years old, were running around in the church yard and they came up to talk with us and a couple of them were fascinated by my digital camera. Anyway, we enjoyed out little taste of the local area and were glad we didn't just stay in the gated area. We felt safe, and while there were definitely people trying to get you to buy things, it was no worse than in any other cruise port; I think the hawkers in Cabo San Lucas were more aggressive and annoying than the folks in Falmouth.

Falmouth:

Hire private tour guide and go do something. There is tons to do in Jamaica. I had trouble narrowing it down.

Just off the top of my head:

Grotto Caves

Dunn River Falls

Tubing

Mystic Mountain

Blue Hole

Beaches

Sight Seeing

Scotchies

Nature tours

Bob Marley tours

I used and recommend http://www.knowjamaica.com/en/