Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Since my last cruise from early january(epic), they have added the option of making reservations (Breakaway) in the Manhattan Room, Savor and Taste. It appears Cagneys is still available to book online. If the rumors are true that they plan to reduce Ocean Blue to $29.99 ( 30 bucks) plus 18% grat that will be a positive at $35 which i may say was the ORIGINAL price of Ocean Blue back in 2013, but after the first couple of sailings the upped the price to $50 per person.

So whilist we wait for the final verdict of this test, trial, debut or whatever else they will decide to call it. i will just keep happy thoughts about my Breakaway Cruise to Bermuda in May. I usually have one 'recovery' day where i dont come out the cabin (not by choice) so that will be the day i would need to order room service, Or if i get sick..the other sick (sniffling sneezing). Im a lush on my cruises, but a fun lush, (so don't judge me). so now i may need to keep that "possible" $10 RSC in mind before I drink that last Gin dry Martini with 4 olives, and chicken wings at 2 am.:eek::D:o

Edited by tiffygirl

I took it as a decision being made to keep it on those two ships for sure (without an announcement about other ships), and that the test was over, but who knows?

NCL's "word" game is out of control. Damn, at this point. i'm about over it. Be up front with it. Just announce the plan, prices and what is included. Then i can budget whatever amount i need to cover the expenses in case i decide to use it.

NCL's "word" game is out of control. Damn, at this point. i'm about over it. Be up front with it. Just announce the plan, prices and what is included. Then i can budget whatever amount i need to cover the expenses in case i decide to use it.

I agree. Although there is no announcement yet in regard to the other ships I'll be on the Gem in June. When I go online to look at dining options on the Gem, I see this as one of the complementary options:

Room Service

If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day (subject to convenience charge).

I checked and all the ships now have this listed. So, my take, is that it will be fleet wide. When? I have no idea but they've already updated their website for when it happens.

Harriet

Do you think someone in a call center really cares why you cancelled? They can't change anything. All they hear is blah blah blah....and think "I just lost a commission, when is this lady going to get off her soapbox"

Do them a favor and leave them alone. Don't waste their time when they are just trying to make a living.

Actually, it didn't go like that. She asked me questions and I answered her truthfully, In fact, I was at work, and I didn't have the time to answer all her questions so I had to eventually cut her off so I could return to work. She asked me if she could call me back in a week, and I said yes.

You apparently know nothing about customer service.

Actually, it didn't go like that. She asked me questions and I answered her truthfully, In fact, I was at work, and I didn't have the time to answer all her questions so I had to eventually cut her off so I could return to work. She asked me if she could call me back in a week, and I said yes.

You apparently know nothing about customer service.

Well, next week, you'll find out if the rep will keep her word or not. (NCL customer service all-round have a bad reputation of not calling backing and not knowing what the left/right hand is doing...)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Well, next week, you'll find out if the rep will keep her word or not. (NCL customer service all-round have a bad reputation of not calling backing and not knowing what the left/right hand is doing...)

Actually, I would prefer she didn't. I said all I needed to say. As I said, it's anyone's guess whether it goes up the chain. I almost always do all my booking online unless I am traveling with a big party and want several cabins booked all together then I will call and get the personalized service.

Right now, just going by $, a 6 day on the Breeze in an aft view balcony cabin is $1000 less than the 7 day on Escape in a standard balcony cabin...for Spring Break 2016. Yes, I can get the UDP or UBP with NCL..but I don't drink $1000 worth and I'm happy with CCL's food offerings so the dining plan isn't a big deal to me. Other factor is EScape will be a brand spankin' new boat and it's an extra day, also does Eastern with Tortola, a port I haven't sailed to yet. OF course with CCL I don't have to worry about RS fees, or extra gratuity or any other upcharge, and I still get lobster tail included for my dinners (And I usually order two when offered). Getaway is less but a Western itinerary.

I am booked on the Vista for the end of 2016 which has an awesome 7 day Eastern itinerary so I can still get my fix that way.

Saying all that, I'm still on the fence.:o

Actually, I would prefer she didn't. I said all I needed to say. As I said, it's anyone's guess whether it goes up the chain. I almost always do all my booking online unless I am traveling with a big party and want several cabins booked all together then I will call and get the personalized service.

Right now, just going by $, a 6 day on the Breeze in an aft view balcony cabin is $1000 less than the 7 day on Escape in a standard balcony cabin...for Spring Break 2016. Yes, I can get the UDP or UBP with NCL..but I don't drink $1000 worth and I'm happy with CCL's food offerings so the dining plan isn't a big deal to me. Other factor is EScape will be a brand spankin' new boat and it's an extra day, also does Eastern with Tortola, a port I haven't sailed to yet. OF course with CCL I don't have to worry about RS fees, or extra gratuity or any other upcharge, and I still get lobster tail included for my dinners (And I usually order two when offered). Getaway is less but a Western itinerary.

I am booked on the Vista for the end of 2016 which has an awesome 7 day Eastern itinerary so I can still get my fix that way.

Saying all that, I'm still on the fence.:o

To ensure the message gets to the top, send your thoughts directly:

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

VEwart@ncl.com

Andy Stuart

President and Chief Operating Officer

AStuart@ncl.com

Frank J. Del Rio

President and Chief Executive Officer Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

fdelrio@ncl.com

Edited by Uniall

To ensure the message gets to the top, send your thoughts directly:

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

VEwart@ncl.com

Andy Stuart

President and Chief Operating Officer

AStuart@ncl.com

Frank J. Del Rio

President and Chief Executive Officer Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

fdelrio@ncl.com

Thanks for the info and have a great cruise across the Pacific!

Completely agree, and the fact that they're just sending a form email out to BOTH passengers and their travel partners...well, that simply means they still don't know what they're doing and don't want to poignantly address it, either.

That's because they're making it up as they go along. It'll probably be several more weeks/months before it all shakes out. I feel for everybody caught in the midst of all this: employees, cruisers and agents alike. None of them know for sure what's going on from one day to the next.

That's because they're making it up as they go along. It'll probably be several more weeks/months before it all shakes out. I feel for everybody caught in the midst of all this: employees, cruisers and agents alike. None of them know for sure what's going on from one day to the next.

That and covering their bases for potential lawsuits. *shrug*

Perhaps NCL's real sin was not giving advanced notice of this fee.

I agree, that is a big part of it. But they also, IMO, never really thought it through. They could have, as Carnival did, simply add a fee to hot or cooked to order items and leave the basics free. If they had done this, I don't think it would have caused much stir. But they had to be greedy and try to charge $7.95 for every single order and maybe an 18% auto grat on top of it. Not a smart move from a PR point of view, but maybe they really don't care what anyone thinks.

There have been multiple suggestion here to vote with your feet . If you don't like these charges,

don't sail with NCL . After an annoying experience , I vowed to never get a balcony on a

cruise line that allowed smoking . I kept that promise . Why pay extra to be annoyed ?

Did you have to pay the 18% auto gratuity on top of the balcony fee?

I believe none of the cruise lines instituted a balcony smoking ban without lots of warning

or the possibility of penalty-free cancellation . (Am I correct ?)

Perhaps NCL's real sin was not giving advanced notice of this fee.

That is it from my point of view. If NCL wants to charge $10/glass for tap water, they can, as long as proper notice is given, and people who put a deposit down when tap water was free are grandfather in to free tap water.

Well, we will never know exactly why NCL backed off their plan to charge a convenience fee for even coffee and a sweet roll or a box of cereal but, IMO, it had a great deal to do with the negative reaction they got here and on face book. So I believe our expressed opinions can sometimes sway a companies decisions and why I will decide where I stand when changes come along and express my opinion whether some things effect me greatly or not.

Personally, I think was reactions and lack of sales on the ships during breakfast, is why they did an about face regarding coffee and pastries. But, of course, NCL will never say the exact reason for doing that...

Edited by maywell

Well, we will never know exactly why NCL backed off their plan to charge a convenience fee for even coffee and a sweet roll or a box of cereal but, IMO, it had a great deal to do with the negative reaction they got here and on face book. So I believe our expressed opinions can sometimes sway a companies decisions and why I will decide where I stand when changes come along and express my opinion whether some things effect me greatly or not.

Yea, we will never know either way. My honest opinion is that they saw what Carnival was rolling out and decided to change it a little.

Completely agree, and the fact that they're just sending a form email out to BOTH passengers and their travel partners...well, that simply means they still don't know what they're doing and don't want to poignantly address it, either.

I totally agree with you. I think their goal is to implement these changes and think people will accept the fees eventually.

Actually, its smarter to just order nothing but the free items on the Carnival's menu follow by paying per order on NCLthan paying per hot item from Carnival (each hot item is separate charge).

Yeah paying per order is definitely better than paying per item

Yeah paying per order is definitely better than paying per item

People when they talk about Carnival new room service like its wonderful; gloss over that glaring fact about the new charges for the hot items. It's like do the math - Carnival free menu items is excellent deal; get 4 items or more per $4.95 / 7.95 order charge on NCL is a okay-meh deal, buy 2 or more hot items on Carnival hot menu and you just spent more than NCL's 2 different room service charges combined.....

When I said that Sheehan cared about the customers, I based that on the facts that I knew about Sheehan (my perception), and how the NCL was before Sheehan when it was under Colin Veitch from 2000-2008.

Also I based my opinion on how Sheehan had treated people in the past. How he has a reputation of being the person that you can talk to. A true people person. When Sheehan took over from Veitch in 2008, NCL prices were dropping and the country was in a recession. Sheehan had to focus on deal with bottom line to start making NCL profitable. Veitch concern's was building the brand. So finacially NCL was not in a good place, also the company moral was horrible, because of Veitch management style. Additionally, Apollo's first directive to Sheehan was to replace 11 out of 14 of his top management. Andy Stuart, now CEO , survived the cut.

First thing Sheehan was concerned about was how can he "trim the budget" without effecting passenger experience. So what he did was freeze staff salaries, reduced travel for enteretainment and off shore personnel. He did that which wasn't popular yet he was still highly respected by his entire staff.

He did not like FDR give additional fees, price highest ect. Noted differences.

Plus i know other examples and situations about sheehan and his management style. The sucess of NCL is directly related to Kevin Sheehans mangement style that is a PROVEN fact.

So when you challenged my OPINION and said "What's even more ridiculous in the fact that now we are getting the "Sheehan cared about the customers" line. It's a non-provable statement" ,

You're missing the point, it's you're opinion that Sheehan cared and based on your perception and his reputation he did. Sheehan was great and did good things in comparison to Veitch who ran the company into the ground. IF I did some polling research I could probably find people that didn't like Sheehan because again opinions and perceptions are subjective to the individual. This is why I said it was a non-provable statement, because it's all based on ones perception and opinion. Which is fine,no argument there.

then you followed up with this statement ""Nobody here can prove or disprove that these changes wouldn't happen anyway if Sheehan was still at the top"

This is where I start to have an issue because once again it's your opinion, not a fact or an absolute.

Sheehan just signed a 3 year contract with bonuses. His management goes against the grain of what is currently being done with NCL. Apollo Management is ultimately the Ruler, so if one person wont do it then they will find someone who will.

He signed a 3 year deal with bonuses, so what? People at the top get moved,pushed out or leave all the time when a company has a merger or acquisitions. Maybe he did leave over "principle" or maybe he was let go because they wanted Del Rio in charge. Nobody knows so it's opinion and speculation unless Sheehan himself has come out and said otherwise.

You made very bold statements challenging my opinions (perceptions) which I based upon my cruise experience with NCL, and the history I know about NCL, but yet you have no cruising history, no apparantly knowledge of NCL or ship board relationships, which makes what you said (to me) not creditible and somewhat insulting.

As I said I not concerned with you or anyone elses "approval of my credibility" You can like,agree,disagree or hate what I have to say it's not going to bother me in the slightest. Now will I blow you off? Certainly not, I have no reason to do so especially over an opinion/debate/discussion.

However I am somewhat curious as to how many cruises one would have to take in order for you to approve of and find them credible?

Yes while i agree you can opinions on the Room Service charges which was relevant to the situation, your other opinions regarding NCL,Sheehan and there business practices not so much.

That is your right to do so and that's fine with me

NHARIZONA for the record I don't require or need any VALIDATION of any opinion that i express.:rolleyes:

I certainly respect the opinions of veteran cruisers, but I sure as heck am not going to take everything they say or discuss as Gospel.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

we sail as first timers in Sept on Pride of America.

In no way in hell am I a morning person. Ordering in for the am was a big factor for me in this vacation. I am more than irritated about this charge amount. Two bucks, maybe. If I just do coffee, you will see my spouse trucking down to the room with a plethora of liquid life. The last thing any of you want to see is me in the dining area.

we sail as first timers in Sept on Pride of America.

In no way in hell am I a morning person. Ordering in for the am was a big factor for me in this vacation. I am more than irritated about this charge amount. Two bucks, maybe. If I just do coffee, you will see my spouse trucking down to the room with a plethora of liquid life. The last thing any of you want to see is me in the dining area.

At least at present, the room service charge is only on Breakaway and Getaway, and even that was already amended to eliminate the charge for morning coffee and "continental" breakfast items.