Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

the POINT is they took what was INCLUDED in the fare and now charge for it.

so they can start charging for the MDR, buffet, the pub. they were all EQUALLY included choices in the cruise fare.

if you are ok with this im sure you all don't mind paying a convenience fee for ALL the complimentary dining right? you cannot argue against one and NOT the others.

because that is what you are agreeing to!!

THANK YOU - at least a few of us can see the implications of what has happened - the sheeples need to wake up and smell the coffee (free or otherwise:rolleyes:).

How often do you check in detail a menu of places you go to on a regular basis for changes or service charge tweeks.

I bet many repeat PAX don't do a front to back, word for word read of the dailies or their latitude vouchers for sneaky changes.

Every time I pick up a room service menu, no matter where I am or how many times I've been there, I look at the bottom to see the fees (that is how I knew that the hotel I was in in Lake Tahoe charged a $5 service fee for room service). Hey, I traveled a lot for business and just got accustomed to doing it and have done it ever since. Many might not, but I do because I don't want any surprises. I've noticed over the years, that some of the same hotels I go to frequently have changed from a delivery fee to a service charge and their amounts have gone up over time, one that started at 10 percent is now at 20 percent.

I also read the dailies from front to back each night, but I'm sure many don't.

Hey, different strokes for different folks!

Edited by NLH Arizona

the POINT is they took what was INCLUDED in the fare and now charge for it.

so they can start charging for the MDR, buffet, the pub. they were all EQUALLY included choices in the cruise fare.

if you are ok with this im sure you all don't mind paying a convenience fee for ALL the complimentary dining right? you cannot argue against one and NOT the others.

because that is what you are agreeing to!!

Trust me I do get the point and understand the discussion. I'm fine with people having a different opinion on the subject and I'm fine with those that agree.

The things I take exception with are simple:

Some here feel NCL owes them some explanation,apology or notice because they changed a policy. They don't and while it may be a bad way to go about implementing a change that's what they chose to do.

NCL and care about making money. They don't care if you have booked once or 1000 times with them. The only thing they "give" you is a loyalty program that you can enroll in for discounts/perks on future cruises(which you pay for anyway through the bookings you make). This whole "I was loyal and this is what they have done to me" argument is just nonsense. Your a number to NCL, they are not your friend.

You in turn have the right to use or not use the RS or specialty dining, NCl didn't take that away from you. All they did was increase the cost for you to do so.

You also have the right to take your business elsewhere in the future.

As far as the DSC increase goes? The increase is a difference of $13.30 for two people on a 7 day cruise. If that amount(or the small amount for a longer cruise or more people) breaks your budget then if it were me I would come to the conclusion that I just can't go on a cruise.

I don't mind having a healthy discussion on any topic and I know that not everyone will agree with my opinion. That however doesn't mean I will write off that poster entirely because there is a good chance that I will agree with them in the future.

TheCapt

Trust me I do get the point and understand the discussion. I'm fine with people having a different opinion on the subject and I'm fine with those that agree.

Some here feel NCL owes them some explanation,apology or notice because they changed a policy. They don't and while it may be a bad way to go about implementing a change that's what they chose to do.

NCL and care about making money. They don't care if you have booked once or 1000 times with them. The only thing they "give" you is a loyalty program that you can enroll in for discounts/perks on future cruises(which you pay for anyway through the bookings you make). This whole "I was loyal and this is what they have done to me" argument is just nonsense. Your a number to NCL, they are not your friend.

You in turn have the right to use or not use the RS or specialty dining, NCl didn't take that away from you. All they did was increase the cost for you to do so.

As far as the DSC increase goes? The increase is a difference of $13.30 for two people on a 7 day cruise. If that amount(or the small amount for a longer cruise or more people) breaks your budget then if it were me I would come to the conclusion that I just can't go on a cruise.

I don't mind having a healthy discussion on any topic and I know that not everyone will agree with my opinion. That however doesn't mean I will write off that poster entirely because there is a good chance that I will agree with them in the future.

TheCapt

Well put Cap

*Living large one week at a time*

TheCapt

Very well said, especially your last paragraph.

TheCapt

Thank you I agree completely, I don't understand how this conversation has gone on for so long. either it will stick and go fleetwide or it will go away either way it doesn't matter to me. as I have said before if the room service fee was per item I would probably be as outraged as everyone else but its not its purorder cheaper than most restaurants on land.

TheCapt

I couldn't care less how the crew is compensated. I will remove the DSC and tip how I see fit.

If the laundry folks have a problem with how they are compensated then that's between them and their employer.

Maybe if people would stop canceling and rebooking when the fare drops the cruise line would have enough money to pay those folks and wouldn't have to try and screw the consumer.

Wonder if any of you guys have anything else planned for the rest of your weekend...

That gave me a good chuckle.

Nowhere do principles seem more principled than on cruise line tipping threads. Call it gratuity, service charge or robbery, we all know it's there when we book. No one has to use room service or eat in a specialty restaurant. I'll look at it as a cash tip I no longer need to give, unless I want to recognize exceptional service.

How many people are going to waste precious vacation time being angry and confrontational? Not me. We plan to enjoy ourselves even if it costs a few dollars more. Compared to flights, hotels, the cruise fare, and all we'll spend on the land portion of our trip, an extra charge for things we don't have to do isn't going to wreck the budget.

I guess we could get mad at the service charges at restaurants in Italy, or maybe pitch a fit when we're charged extra to sit at a table. That was a big surprise the first time; now I go in knowing it, and it's usually well worth it. I'll never forget the American who was rudely questioning the service charge at a restaurant in Assisi. We wanted to change our accents or crawl under the table.

The way I see it, we all have choices. Book a suite. Cancel the cruise. If past final payment, spend your time protesting at guest services and refuse to enjoy yourself.

It wouldn't matter when the cruise lines, not just NCL, gave notice of changes, people would still holler, "Foul!"

TheCapt

i think that no company is never to big too fall!! large hospitality corporations file chapter 11 every year.Renaissance cruises they thought they were king of the hill and didnt need travel agents. well FDR found out a little too late he did need the TA. they went under. NCL is not an island unto themselves. People want to do business with a company they trust. Their reputation is dependent on that.

without customers there will not be a NCL. we are the customers, we are the ones that will keep them in business. so yes they better care about our money. A loss of a few $1000 here $15, 000 there x 52 weeks adds up!

but as customers we also have the power to let a corporation know when it has *F* up and when we feel like there have been underhanded business practices. If not, they will continue to do it, laughing all the way to the bank. but if we push back, make a lot of noise, bad publicity can kill a business especially travel , as well as stop "investing" in their product, they will listen to their customers and make changes.

close mouths dont get fed.

no, ncl does NOT have the right to sell me a package, then unbundle it with no prior warning after they have accepted my money, then refuse to refund me the charge! how much the RS is neither here nor there.

if you are a company of integrity, i expect for your business practices to reflect that. up until this takeover it has.

As a current paying customer, i have the right to hold NCL and any other company accountable for their actions. So does everyone else.

but if we as customers just "accept" everything they do, knowing its wrong, yet defended it, still give them money then we deserved to be played the fool while folks like FDR n company is taking us to the cleaners while his pockets get fatter. but it wont happen on my dollar!

too much competition in this ocean, ncl was a sinking ship in the late 90's, trust me, they continue on this path it will be again!

*rant over*

Edited by tiffygirl

i think that no company is never to big too fall!! large hospitality corporations file chapter 11 every year.Renaissance cruises they thought they were king of the hill and didnt need travel agents. well FDR found out a little too late he did need the TA. they went under. NCL is not an island unto themselves. People want to do business with a company they trust. Their reputation is dependent on that.

without customers there will not be a NCL. we are the customers, we are the ones that will keep them in business. so yes they better care about our money. A loss of a few $1000 here $15, 000 there x 52 weeks adds up!

but as customers we also have the power to let a corporation know when it has *F* up and when we feel like there have been underhanded business practices. If not, they will continue to do it, laughing all the way to the bank. but if we push back, make a lot of noise, bad publicity can kill a business especially travel , as well as stop "investing" in their product, they will listen to their customers and make changes.

no, ncl does NOT have the right to sell me a package, then unbundle it with no prior warning after they have accepted my money, then refuse to refund me the charge! how much the RS is neither here nor there.

if you are a company of integrity, i expect for your business practices to reflect that. up until this takeover it has.

As a current paying customer, i have the right to hold NCL and any other company accountable for their actions. So does everyone else.

but if we as customers just "accept" everything they do, knowing its wrong, yet defended it, still give them money then we deserved to be played the fool while folks like FDR n company is taking us to the cleaners while his pockets get fatter. but it wont happen on my dollar!

too much competition in this ocean, ncl was a sinking ship in the late 90's, trust me, they continue on this path it will be again!

*rant over*

Tiffygirl - you and I seem to see this whole fiasco in the same way.

NCL are the minnow against the other two - they had a reputation problem which Kevin Sheehan spent years fixing. Within three months of a management change most, if not all, of that good work has been undone. I foresee bad things for NCL if they continue on this present course.

Shame we shall probably never meet up on an NCL cruise to kick this around over a Martini or two.:D

TheCapt

Hmmm, some of those things you take exception to are not so simple.

This thread has officially jumped the shark. Uniall, as much as I agree with everything you've said and as much as I disagree with NLH Arizona (how you can continue to try and defend the indefensible is beyond me. It boggles the mind!), the instant someone introduces N a z i s and/or Hitler into the conversation, it's over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Jim

Edit: Did not realize that **** was a banned word, hence the spaces...

Jim

As a matter of personal preference, I refuse to be bound by the all pervasive rules of Political Correctness.

But, in the interest of making my point, without the method of delivery interfering with the message, perhaps this will make you more comfortable.

John

When discussing NCL, some are incapable of dealing with facts and reality.

They are forever bound to: HEAR NO EVIL - SEE NO EVIL - SPEAK NO EVIL

3%20monkeys_zpswr5k55bg.jpg

Edited by Uniall

*rant over*

You're absolutely right, corporations fail everyday. Cruse lines and NCL in particular are not some exception. As I said you and anyone else up in arms over the changes have the right to not do business with them in the future.

However if you think that JDR and all the powers that be within NCL didn't do the math and their due diligence before they rolled out these changes i.e. the potential loss of some of the customer base then in my opinion you are mistaken.

The reason this is being implemented on the two biggest ships in the fleet and at different price points is proof that they have done their homework. They are "testing the waters" and it will either succeed or fail. They will adjust accordingly.

Also for every 1000 or 10000 customers like you there are just as many or more that will accept the change so thinking you are going to "bring down" NCL isn't very realistic in my opinion.

In the end you may be right, NCL may fail, but these changes have made for an enlightening and interesting debate to say the least.

TheCapt

That gave me a good chuckle.

Nowhere do principles seem more principled than on cruise line tipping threads. Call it gratuity, service charge or robbery, we all know it's there when we book. No one has to use room service or eat in a specialty restaurant. I'll look at it as a cash tip I no longer need to give, unless I want to recognize exceptional service.

How many people are going to waste precious vacation time being angry and confrontational? Not me. We plan to enjoy ourselves even if it costs a few dollars more. Compared to flights, hotels, the cruise fare, and all we'll spend on the land portion of our trip, an extra charge for things we don't have to do isn't going to wreck the budget.

I guess we could get mad at the service charges at restaurants in Italy, or maybe pitch a fit when we're charged extra to sit at a table. That was a big surprise the first time; now I go in knowing it, and it's usually well worth it. I'll never forget the American who was rudely questioning the service charge at a restaurant in Assisi. We wanted to change our accents or crawl under the table.

The way I see it, we all have choices. Book a suite. Cancel the cruise. If past final payment, spend your time protesting at guest services and refuse to enjoy yourself.

It wouldn't matter when the cruise lines, not just NCL, gave notice of changes, people would still holler, "Foul!"

True, and certainly the freedom of choice is manifest.

A couple of thoughts:

Unlike specialty dining, there are occasions where room service is likely the only option for cruisers-- when they are not feeling well. It is during that time that we would prefer to be utilizing room service rather than trying to grit their way through a buffet or MDR. I do believe that there will be an increase in viral illnesses on NCL with this policy.

Also, I think there will be an increase in food waste, as many will look to maximize their value. If I know that I might use room service for breakfast, and lunch, I'm likely to order the entire meal, and likely to do so for the entire room, rather than accrue multiple service charges. Our usage of RS has always been for a pot of coffee and a single pastry or fruit in the morning as we sit on the balcony-- this is not worth the additional service charge, but would be missed as well. (I guess I could order 7 pots of coffee and 7 breakfasts on day one, and save them in the mini fridge!)

I do hope that NCL will reconsider, I think complimentary room service is a valued product on a cruise, and would make a difference in my choice of lines.

Cheers

Unlike specialty dining, there are occasions where room service is likely the only option for cruisers-- when they are not feeling well. It is during that time that we would prefer to be utilizing room service rather than trying to grit their way through a buffet or MDR. I do believe that there will be an increase in viral illnesses on NCL with this policy.

I agree with you on this and hope that NCL will set up a program for those that are truly ill. Maybe they will have to go to medical to get an exception from the charge. The only issue I see with this, if they didn't have to go to medical, some that wanted room service would say they were ill, just to save the charge, because, unfortunately, we know how some people are.

Tiffygirl - you and I seem to see this whole fiasco in the same way.

NCL are the minnow against the other two - they had a reputation problem which Kevin Sheehan spent years fixing. Within three months of a management change most, if not all, of that good work has been undone. I foresee bad things for NCL if they continue on this present course.

Shame we shall probably never meet up on an NCL cruise to kick this around over a Martini or two.:D

Lol. Im glad you get it with me Sometimes we need to be more our brothers keeper. I think if that were me, how would i feel? Im mad for them. I have time make changes . They didnt have a Choice. Those on Breakaway and Getaway i mean.

I think ,if i was in the breakaway last week.i would have Spent weeks dreaming ordering room service, having breakfast on my balcony in my bathrobe and slippers, watching life slowly pass by.ahh tranquility like no other. ...then boom i get a bill for $10. WTH !! I expected free room service. It would have dampen my cruise. I probably would not sail NCL again.

Carnival for instance, still delivered in giving goods and service as promised. They also included room service with the price of the cruise fare. They gave 2 week notice for roll out of the expanded menu. Then added pay options. This is where it becomes a choice. I can still have "free" room service as promised when they sold me the cruise or the CHOICE to pay. here the choice argument is valid in this instance . So no one can get mad a carnival because its still free, it may not be the best menu but they delivered on services promised.

I know im preaching to the choir with you. :)

Who knows we may run into each other on our travels...we definitely would have to a lot of laughs for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by tiffygirl

True, and certainly the freedom of choice is manifest.

Unlike specialty dining, there are occasions where room service is likely the only option for cruisers-- when they are not feeling well. It is during that time that we would prefer to be utilizing room service rather than trying to grit their way through a buffet or MDR.

This does bring up a new wrinkle to the RS charge. It will be interesting to see how NCL handles a situation like this in the coming weeks/months or however long this "trial program" runs.

While I agree that complimentary RS is a nice feature and adds convenience for the cruiser I still feel that other lines will follow suit should NCL be successful in implementing this policy. It's why I myself(and I suspect others as well) will just add it into the overall cost of the cruise.

TheCapt

. NCL is not an island unto themselves. People want to do business with a company they trust. Their reputation is dependent on that.

You think? All NCL has to do is to roll out some good cruise deals to tease the customers. Everything will be forgotten and forgiven in a heart beat. Consumers have short memories when it comes to bargains and cheap cruise. The few die hard may continue to yell boycott but thousands will be burning up the reservation line to book their next NCL Let's Go cruise.

You're absolutely right, corporations fail everyday. Cruse lines and NCL in particular are not some exception. As I said you and anyone else up in arms over the changes have the right to not do business with them in the future.

However if you think that JDR and all the powers that be within NCL didn't do the math and their due diligence before they rolled out these changes i.e. the potential loss of some of the customer base then in my opinion you are mistaken.

The reason this is being implemented on the two biggest ships in the fleet and at different price points is proof that they have done their homework. They are "testing the waters" and it will either succeed or fail. They will adjust accordingly.

Also for every 1000 or 10000 customers like you there are just as many or more that will accept the change so thinking you are going to "bring down" NCL isn't very realistic in my opinion.

In the end you may be right, NCL may fail, but these changes have made for an enlightening and interesting debate to say the least.

TheCapt

no i didnt say I was going to bring them down. I said ncl was going to bring themselves down by theses underhanded business practices.

i said i wasn't going to lay down and not hold them accountable. As much as I love NCL, they need their a$$ beat for this move.

i plan on sending a nice long letter to headquarters as i have done before when NCL has done something i felt wasn't right. don't talk about it, be about it!

Social media is a huge today, unlike it was 15 to 20 years ago. It can directly impact a company positively or negatively. Don't underestimate the power of the consumer.

i agree about your last point. i have learned more about contracts, and tipping than i could possibly want to know in this last week!!

Yeah, but the difference is they'd be wrong in that case.

OK. So how much advance notice is enough?

I don't think it would make any difference if the cruise line made it so those past final payment would be unaffected. There would still be weeping and wailing and rending of garments.

Example. Celebrity has given passengers until 20 April to purchase or upgrade drink packages before the price goes up. Some have multiple cruises booked into 2017, and they don't want to drop a big lump sum this far out. It would be nice if those already booked could purchase at the lower price, but come on. Is the cruise line supposed to give two yars notice?

On the flip side, how many of those before final payment, including moi, have actually canceled? Reading the NCL and X boards, one would think both lines are doomed to going out of business.

no i didnt say I was going to bring them down. I said ncl was going to bring themselves down by theses underhanded business practices.

i said i wasn't going to lay down and not hold them accountable. As much as I love NCL, they need their a$$ beat for this move.

i plan on sending a nice long letter to headquarters as i have done before when NCL has done something i felt wasn't right. don't talk about it, be about it!

Social media is a huge today, unlike it was 15 to 20 years ago. It can directly impact a company positively or negatively. Don't underestimate the power of the consumer.

i agree about your last point. i have learned more about contracts, and tipping than i could possibly want to know in this last week!!

Perhaps I should have worded it better as it wasn't meant to mean you personally were going to bring them down, more like "the masses" Time will tell if they fail or continue to succeed.

It';s great that you are taking action since you feel so strongly about it and that's exactly what those that feel the same way should do.

Either way as I said it's made for quite a lively debate of differing opinions/viewpoints. I wish you nothing but the happiest of sailings in the future!

TheCapt

Just got off the Breakaway this morning. Room service was a nightmare. The charge was an annoyance but even more than that was the fact that their own staff was clueless to the changes. Mid-cruise they gave us a second new menu that had additions to it and staff was arguing with me that I was looking at the wrong menu. Took 2 phone calls, a visit from the housekeeping supervisor and 40 minutes to place an order. Don't think I will be cruising like a Norwegian again.