Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Why are you proposing charges and then you're upset about the room service fee?

I wouldn't be upset at a nightclub fee just like you're not upset over the room service fee. It's not like you have to go to a nightclub every night; you can always go hang out at the atrium with your fellow passengers with your ubp. I don't use room service either so the fee doesn't affect me but I am upset that the option of complimentary room service is no longer included in my ticket price. Eventually, cruiselines can and will charge for something you value, but by that time it could be too late to take a stand because it would be the norm for cruising. We would have no one to blame but ourselves because we chose to accept whatever any big companies decide to charge us more with no value in return.

Edited by SJ

When MDR fees arrive will you embrace them or be against them?

This has been mentioned so many times, it is the dagger in the heart of the argument by those who are saying "NCL has the right to raise fees even after booking," so it's unsuprising that none of the "Rah Rah NCL" crowd have responded to it. I'll quote this nad post it again. If you had a cruise in two weeks and at the last minute FDR decided that the MDR was no longer included, it was a $15 cover charge per night, and the only free dining option was going to be the buffet, are you ok with this? Again, Post-booking, you've already booked a price and it's been locked in and you can't cancel and NCL advertised the MDR as included. If you are in any way not ok with that, then you shouldn't be ok with this either. You know what? I don't use the god damned kids club because I don't have kids, but I'd be furious if NCL took it away for people that have alrady booked and are past final contract, because I have empathy.

This has been mentioned so many times, it is the dagger in the heart of the argument by those who are saying "NCL has the right to raise fees even after booking," so it's unsuprising that none of the "Rah Rah NCL" crowd have responded to it. I'll quote this nad post it again. If you had a cruise in two weeks and at the last minute FDR decided that the MDR was no longer included, it was a $15 cover charge per night, and the only free dining option was going to be the buffet, are you ok with this? Again, Post-booking, you've already booked a price and it's been locked in and you can't cancel and NCL advertised the MDR as included. If you are in any way not ok with that, then you shouldn't be ok with this either. You know what? I don't use the god damned kids club because I don't have kids, but I'd be furious if NCL took it away for people that have alrady booked and are past final contract, because I have empathy.

they're so emotionally invested in being in love with NCL that NCL can do no wrong. They will tell you the MDR fee is for everyones benefit, most of all the poor, subjugated, indentured crew.

Many posters have not noticed or are having a memory lapse regarding the BIG PICTURE.

Within 2 months of NCL buying Regent & Oceania cruise lines, NCL's CEO Sheehan made a surprise "I'm outta here" despite having just signed 3 year contract with bonuses to run the merged cruise lines. This is quickly followed by the firing of NCL's newly hired CEO Masden. In the short span of 3 months, Regent/Oceania's CEO, DelRio, moves up from heading the purchased subsidiary lines to running the mega merged lines.

In one of DelRio's first public discussions he announces he's is going to increase NCL's bottom line.

Within 2 months, he raises prices and cuts back product and services.

1. Increase Daily Service Charge

2. Decrease employee's covered by Daily Service Charge

3. Cut Back Platinum perk of comp dinner w/ wine a LeBistro for each member to one per cabin.

4. Removes employees from participation in Daily Service Charge when assigned to Specialty Restaurants.

5. Adds new 18% Service Charge to Specialty Restaurants.

6. Without warning, adds Room Service Convenience Charge.

7. Adds 18% Service Charge On top of new Room Convenience Charge.

and there appears there is no end in sight.

For those of you old enough to remember the great entertainer, Al Jolson, he had a saying after finishing his first song an evening's performance:

"You aint seen nothin, yet."

Hang On Folks. I think it's going to be a bumpy ride ......... and not from high seas.

Thank you for compiling this. I can think of a couple of additional items not mentioned.

1) The removal of the Illusionarium or Cirque show as a free offering on the first night for those who have UDP. This is a very significant downgrade in the value of the UDP.

2) The increase of bar gratuities to 18% and at the same time introducing new bar menus that are reportedly very limited in selections.

The way that many of these changes have been implemented concerns me as much as the changes themselves. It's as though when a thought strikes upper management concerning a new revenue stream or cost cutting measure, it is immediately trotted out on a whim without proper planning and without thought of how it will be perceived by customers. And when the inevitable backlash ensues, additional changes are made to explain the first changes (ie; the removal of specialty restaurant employees from the DSC). It may be that this is all part of some grand plan, but that is not how it appears to be functioning.

No one has responded, because it such a sensationalized comment; just like those that have said NCL will charge for loungers, seats in the life boats, etc.

We are talking about the room service fee and to the best of my knowledge, there is not fee for the MDR. It is like asking someone what they will do if gas gets up to $10 a gallon, knowing full well you don't know if it will reach that price. If there ever is a charge for the MDR, I'm sure, just like you, we will weight our options and decided to either stay with NCL or go to another line.

And now you are giving NCL the idea of charging for the kids club. I'm sure all the parents out there will thank you, if NCL takes you up on your idea.

I believe the answer was 20-30 pages ago or on another thread was - Royal already does for premium plates at the MDR and even then, people will either pay it or eat at the buffet anyway. It'll either bothers / infuriates you or it doesn't. *shrug*

No one has responded, because it such a sensationalized comment; just like those that have said NCL will charge for loungers, seats in the life boats, etc.

We are talking about the room service fee and to the best of my knowledge, there is not fee for the MDR. It is like asking someone what they will do if gas gets up to $10 a gallon, knowing full well you don't know if it will reach that price. If there ever is a charge for the MDR, I'm sure, just like you, we will weight our options and decided to either stay with NCL or go to another line.

And now you are giving NCL the idea of charging for the kids club. I'm sure all the parents out there will thank you, if NCL takes you up on your idea.

Well my PCC backtracked after telling me Guppies was free for on Escape, the last email I got was policies are being reviewed and aren't fully set yet. So they were free one day and a few days later they were suddenly in flux. Go figure :rolleyes:

I believe the answer was 20-30 pages ago or on another thread was - Royal already does for premium plates at the MDR and even then, people will either pay it or eat at the buffet anyway. It'll either bothers / infuriates you or it doesn't. *shrug*

Yes on Royal you can order a lobster or the steak from their Chops Grille in the MDR.

There is no charge for the rest of the MDR menu for any meal at all; breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

If you got on a ship, and without prior notice, you went to the MDR and was told it was an extra $15 you probably would not be very happy about that. If you were ambivalent about it you're pretty much the reason they keep charging for these things; new cruisers that don't know better and accept price increases without any additional value. Just paying more for the same thing.

Edited by LMaxwell

Thank you for compiling this. I can think of a couple of additional items not mentioned.

1) The removal of the Illusionarium or Cirque show as a free offering on the first night for those who have UDP. This is a very significant downgrade in the value of the UDP.

2) The increase of bar gratuities to 18% and at the same time introducing new bar menus that are reportedly very limited in selections.

The way that many of these changes have been implemented concerns me as much as the changes themselves. It's as though when a thought strikes upper management concerning a new revenue stream or cost cutting measure, it is immediately trotted out on a whim without proper planning and without thought of how it will be perceived by customers. And when the inevitable backlash ensues, additional changes are made to explain the first changes (ie; the removal of specialty restaurant employees from the DSC). It may be that this is all part of some grand plan, but that is not how it appears to be functioning.

Jeanie

Thanks for updating the New & Improved NCL Price Increases and Service Decreases List. I think we should kee a runnin Update as they occur.

Many posters have not noticed or are having a memory lapse regarding the BIG PICTURE.

Within 2 months of NCL buying Regent & Oceania cruise lines, NCL's CEO Sheehan made a surprise "I'm outta here" despite having just signed 3 year contract with bonuses to run the merged cruise lines. This is quickly followed by the firing of NCL's newly hired CEO Masden. In the short span of 3 months, Regent/Oceania's CEO, DelRio, moves up from heading the purchased subsidiary lines to running the mega merged lines.

In one of DelRio's first public discussions he announces he's is going to increase NCL's bottom line.

Within 2 months, he raises prices and cuts back product and services.

1. Increase Daily Service Charge

2. Decrease employee's covered by Daily Service Charge

3. Cut Back Platinum perk of comp dinner w/ wine a LeBistro for each member to one per cabin.

4. Removes employees from participation in Daily Service Charge when assigned to Specialty Restaurants.

5. Adds new 18% Service Charge to Specialty Restaurants.

6. Without warning, adds Room Service Convenience Charge.

7. Adds 18% Service Charge On top of new Room Convenience Charge.

8. Removal of the Illusionarium or Cirque show as a free offering on the first night for those who have UDP. This is a very significant downgrade in the value of the UDP.

9. Increase of bar gratuities to 18% and at the same time introducing new bar menus that are reportedly very limited in selections.

PLEASE CUT AND PASTE AND POST ANY NEW OR UNMENTIONED UPDATES

Edited by Uniall

Well NLH, it was responded to because I responded to this very question. I have our first cruise ever booked with NCL(e tire extended family all 30of us) and while NCL and the cruise we booked wasn't my first choice of destination/itinerary OR cruise line its the one we all ended up agreeing in due to each family members schedule.

I'm not "married" to NCL or any other line. I'll go where I believe that I'm getting the best price/itinerary. That being said I'll repeat my answer to the question again. If an MDR charge would be implemented and I had already booked and was past the point of cancelation I would deal with it for that cruise and then decide if I wanted to book with NCL again or not. It really is that simple.

People are upset and while I don't feel it is unfounded, I do feel that as a consumer everyone does have a choice moving forward from the cruise they have booked. Use NCL again or don't because in the end they are going to do what they feel is best for their bottom line.

As I also said NCL isn't anybody "friend" they are a business and the sooner some people realize that then the better off they will be in my opinion. The thought that some have that they are "special " because of the amount of bookings they have done through NCL is nonsense, again in my opinion.

Just because someone looks at this policy change differently doesn't make them a "cheerleader" for NCL. It's insulting to refer to someone that doesn't have an issue with the changes and it doesn't exactly invite any sort of open and constructive debate.

I'll close with what I always say and that is I hope that it will not ruin the cruise for those already booked. People have paid way too much for their vacation to let these changes kill their entire trip.

TheCapt

Well NLH, it was responded to because I responded to this very question. I have our first cruise ever booked with NCL(e tire extended family all 30of us) and while NCL and the cruise we booked wasn't my first choice of destination/itinerary OR cruise line its the one we all ended up agreeing in due to each family members schedule.

I'm not "married" to NCL or any other line. I'll go where I believe that I'm getting the best price/itinerary. That being said I'll repeat my answer to the question again. If an MDR charge would be implemented and I had already booked and was past the point of cancelation I would deal with it for that cruise and then decide if I wanted to book with NCL again or not. It really is that simple.

People are upset and while I don't feel it is unfounded, I do feel that as a consumer everyone does have a choice moving forward from the cruise they have booked. Use NCL again or don't because in the end they are going to do what they feel is best for their bottom line.

As I also said NCL isn't anybody "friend" they are a business and the sooner some people realize that then the better off they will be in my opinion. The thought that some have that they are "special " because of the amount of bookings they have done through NCL is nonsense, again in my opinion.

Just because someone looks at this policy change differently doesn't make them a "cheerleader" for NCL. It's insulting to refer to someone that doesn't have an issue with the changes and it doesn't exactly invite any sort of open and constructive debate.

I'll close with what I always say and that is I hope that it will not ruin the cruise for those already booked. People have paid way too much for their vacation to let these changes kill their entire trip.

TheCapt

Correct. I remember seeing your post, so I was confused when it was posted that no one had responded to the question.

I liked your comment, because this is what I would do: If an MDR charge would be implemented and I had already booked and was past the point of cancelation I would deal with it for that cruise and then decide if I wanted to book with NCL again or not. It really is that simple.

Folks are getting all hot and bothered and what it will end up doing is ruin their vacation over something they have no control of and that is something I would never do.

I've heard from multiple sources that norwegian is going after the 18 to 35 market

I think you should check your sources. In order to book a cabin on an NCL ship you must be at least 21 years of age. I think there might be further restrictions due to age in regards to UBP and spring break bookings (March 1-mid April) possibly 25+. Having said that I think it is unlikely that NCL is targeting the market you describe.

Rochelle

Hate to say but you were right about the price increasing I don't mind paying for the room service fee but I hope he's not dumb enough to think raising prices like crazy will bring people in. for that to work you have to add a lot of bonuses and bells and whistles.

Now you are starting to see the concern many of us have been expressing. The room service fee by itself is not a big deal but seen in the light of what Del Rio wants to do with NCL it takes on a different meaning entirely. I am not sure it's a matter of how dumb he is but rather a matter of how arrogant he is.

Remember all the lines have put up the prices, most on the back of, as they say in Azamara land, "more inclusive".

NCL have seen the additions of beverage, dining packages, OBC, grats paid and with some fare fiddles 1/2price/free 3+pax.

The crunch will come when the ship are not full and they have to decide run with empty cabins or do some creative selling. Princess have started to crack on ex UK cruises with some significant price drops this last week.

RCCL(RCI,Celebrity) have all their promotions as not available on GTY rates so can manipulate capacity on all grades, just stick a GTY rate and get more on board spends from those that won't pay the inflated included prices.

NCL has gone a different route and even GTY get the perks so only has the insides to play with, before they adjusted prices after the choice came in just before Xmas, they were effectively giving away cabins for free on some cruises.

$499 for 10days OV cabin with UBP($540) and UDP($164), whats not to like?

just noticed this wording on the UDP, my red

looks like things are changing in July

whats the speciality service charge on top of the 18% grats.

Ultimate Dining Package

For sailings on or before July 2nd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Pizza 24/7, Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants. These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Pizza 24/7 and Gelato are not part of the package

Edited by insidecabin

just noticed this wording on the UDP, my red

looks like things are changing in July

whats the speciality service charge on top of the 18% grats.

Ultimate Dining Package

For sailings on or before July 2nd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Pizza 24/7, Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants. These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Pizza 24/7 and Gelato are not part of the package

Yes I read that in another thread. I am not sure what it means. Does it mean that;

1. There will now be a service charge added to the purchase of the UDP? or
  2. Is there a service charge built into the 18% auto gratuity?

If the answer is 1) I wonder why this would not be built into the purchase price of the UDP? Or is it already there? If the answer is 2) I believe the average person would think that an 18% gratuity would be meant for the server themselves. Not a gratuity with a portion going to the employer.

Just more ambiguous terminology that makes it difficult to figure out exactly what we are being told we must pay in addition to our base cruise fare. How is a consumer supposed to make an informed choice if they have no idea what is being said?

Rochelle

People keep saying that NCL is "skimming" a portion of the DSC and other sundry service charges for their own bottom line.

What facts are they basing these accusations on? Or is the typical throw $h1t on the wall and see what sticks?

People keep saying that NCL is "skimming" a portion of the DSC and other sundry service charges for their own bottom line.

What facts are they basing these accusations on? Or is the typical throw $h1t on the wall and see what sticks?

Who?

1. We know the DSC flows through NCL. This includes pre-paid DSC paid at final payment time. NCL certainly is holding money from DSC. It's not like they are paying its staff BEFORE you cruise. So NCL ostensibly is profiting off the float. This is normal business practice, but in and of itself does not constitute skimming off the DSC.

2. We know NCL takes a portion of DSC and uses it for crew welfare (parties, bonuses, etc). I don't know any other industry where it is normal to confiscate crew tips and use it to give them a party. This is most likely not only NCL but other similar companies within the industry.

3. We also know that NCL distributes DSC as NCL sees fit, not necessarily as the guest intended.

So, no, none of that on its own proves that NCL is skimming anything at all. Just that they hold the money for an undetermined amount of time and that they may or may not dole out 100% of the DSC money.

The reverse question can be asked; what proof is there that NCL isn't skimming off the DSC? I think it is a reasonable question to ask. No one here knows exactly how it works, but I also think assuming that all of DSC is a straight and immediate pass through is naive.

They seem to be using a new form of words in the recently introduced/amended charges.

UDP - "An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price."

Room Service menu - "An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items."

Previously it was just a gratuity.

This could be fuelling some of the speculation.