Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Don't you think if NCL does chase away the loyal cruisers and replaces them with new ones that they will face the same problems when they start whacking away at the "newbies" wallets with unannounced charges ?

Also, the other cruise lines who are more financially stable than NCL aren't sitting on their thumbs watching. They are crunching numbers and are in position to begin issuing competitive rates. Strictly business to attempt to erase your competition.

I do believe that they could very well run into that issue. I've said before that the way they decided to go about these changes isn't how I would do it but that's the route they decided to go.

Also as we all know the other lines are not just watching to steal away business with better pricing, more importantly they are watching NCLs "test run" of the RS model. I have no doubt that if this works for NCL you will see similar things implemented on the other lines.

I believe that it was already stated that CCL rolled out a similar RS menu(they however did a much better job with their rollout from what I have heard/read though)

Like any industry there are always changes and how consumers accept or deal with them determines the course of action a particular industry takes.

Happy Sailings

TheCapt

Originally Posted by maywell View Post

I gotta give point to NCL passengers over Carnival's for the simple fact, no one on Breakaway at any time tap my shoulder to ask me ' How did I pay for my trip since I don't fit the profile / didn't see a man or girlfriend with me..." . Among other things that was recklessly said to me....I just going to take the hint, that cruise line is not for me right now.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

This is so funny....

The recent 3/21-28 Getaway we were Stern to stern with a Carnival vessel wile docked at St. Marteen.. While standing on our balcony at the rail just before sail away , a fellow

from the Carnival ship (top deck ) yelled over , " What did you pay for that suite " ? ... I tipped my glass but did not respond... :eek: . ;)

Hand to God...

I do volunteer consumer advocacy for Elliott.org Cruise Forum.

This news item from the Elliott org's news report side is scary.

Especially the comments by NCL' CEO.

http://elliott.org/blog/terrorists-target-cruise-ships-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Wow. Compelling. And Mr.FDR is willing to send "his" ships into hostile territories just to make that money. Just wow. But overall article was extremely informative. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Suspicion of fraud, rip off, con job, deceptive practices etc. is rational, logical and reasonble when anyone, anywhere, any time adds on additional fees or charges above and beyond the original price of the goods and services or reduces the size, scope or value of the goods and services.

It was best embodied by the farewell cast song which was sung at the end of evrey cruise until very recently:

NCL Farewell Song

"This is your home, away from home.

You are part of our family.

We will be here, waiting for you,

making your dreams come true.

This is the Norwegian Way."

You'll probably find it "hokey" but both the NCL staff and guests lived it and loved it. We were family and we were steadfastly loyal to each other. it was that loyalty that allowed NCL to grow in just over a decade from a young upstart to a cruise industry leader and innovator.

But, I suspect outsiders are ready to replace the symbiotic loyalty of cruise line and guests with coporate greed.

You are wrong when you say the only two choices we have are to live with it or go elsewhere.

I have already shifted half of my annual cruise money elsewhere (primarily with RCI, my cruise MISTRESS) and still spend the other half with NCL (my cruise WIFE)

In the meantime, I will complain, cajole, carp, hoping to get my wife to wake up and treat me the way she used to treat me.

Until then, I will seek solace and affection in the arms of my mistress, spending half of my money on her. I don't want a divorce, I want reconcilliation and reunion with the wife. But, it's up to her.

We are just off the Star Sunday morning. I wondered if I would hear the NCL Farewell song. I did hear it on the internal channel late Saturday night with scenes of the crew singing and waving goodbye. (I also noted three senior officers/staff on deck as we disembarked. I watched them carefully and wondered what they were thinking.)

That said, I have to say that something did feel different. I sense a break and a shift in the loyalty and trust that feels out of the control of most of the crew onboard. I noticed that my own trust and positive feeling about NCL is waning. A slight wariness and suspicion has become an unwelcome intruder. This break in trust comes from how the new management has purposefully implemented and communicated (or miscommunicated) a series of changes very quickly. I have heard these changes characterized here a couple of times as "arrogant". I think this best describes what we are seeing unfold.

Most people understand that businesses make changes to increase their profits. But when these changes are implemented in ways that totally disregard and alienate their loyal customer base, they will ultimately hurt the business sooner or later. I keep waiting for NCL to see the signs and to begin to make reparations. I hear a weak acknowledgement that communication has been lacking, but overall, it is full steam ahead with a series of increasing fees and charges with little or no explanation and a seeming assumption that we will not notice or the customer dissatisfaction is just temporary and will soon blow over.

This is not the Norwegian Way.

If what we are witnessing and experiencing is the new way of NCL, customers will begin to seek out a new family who will take better care of them and who will be more trustworthy. In a few years, we'll be reading case studies of NCL's management errors. Sad.

For all of you thinking about switching cruise lines, Carnival has just announced a $4-7.00 charge for a new room service menu.

That's an iffy article by the editors- CCL is offering a RS menu with some surcharge items on it (similar to what NCL used to have). There is no delivery fee for the free items on the menu.

On Carnival, one of our niece just sailed Splendor & reconfirmed - still serving free steak (petite filet mignon) - eggs w. all the trimmings & extra sides, upon request, in the regular MDR for breakfast, at no extra charge, no optional or discretionary autogratuity, and no "hints" for the 'Additional Tip' Line for exceptional service. With My Time Dining and free shrimp cocktail, and one night of lobster tail in the MDR, we will do so and vote with our wallet in making our choices for the next sailing.

Our CCL stocks (yes, we have holdings) is up 2.7% today. NCLH is down 0.43% so not a big deal. We received $100 OBC as stockholders on our last CCL sailing, combinable with other OBC - from CCL and from TA.

Wait, who's pushing & slamming us & we have Platinum status with NCL.

On Carnival, one of our niece just sailed Splendor & reconfirmed - still serving free steak (petite filet mignon) - eggs w. all the trimmings & extra sides, upon request, in the regular MDR for breakfast, at no extra charge, no optional or discretionary autogratuity, and no "hints" for the 'Additional Tip' Line for exceptional service.

Yes, I was on the Conquest last month and they had that option for Sea Day Brunch. In the MDR, they also had filet, lobster and chateaubriand. I always have a light lunch on lobster night, as I usually order a second plate of the lobster and the escargot. The waiters don't blink an eye. Of course, they do get an extra tip at then end of the trip (in addition to normal gratiuty chargers)...because I WANT to.

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Trevor

You're giving NCL the benefit of the doubt. They may use the 2nd ships trial plan and charge $7.95 (Room Service Convenience Charge) plus the new trial balloon of 18% (Specialty Dining Service Charge).

Your 12 days of formerly free morning pot of coffee could cost you: $112.56

No it still free just leave the room

No it still free just leave the room

Chris

I thought you'd gotten beyond your initial "I don't care since it's not my problem" mind set. ?

It would be great if Cruise Critic members would start thinking in terms or "We" instead of "Me". :-)

As Benjamin Franklin said to motivate the "Nay-sayers" and "Fence-sitters" to sign the Declaration of Indedpence:

"We either hang together or we will hang separately." LOL

John

Edited by Uniall

For all of you thinking about switching cruise lines, Carnival has just announced a $4-7.00 charge for a new room service menu.

Why do people keep misquoting and misrepresenting the change at Carnival. Carnival ADDED new items to their RS menu which carry a variable charge. Most of the same old FREE items are still there, FREE OF CHARGE. There is no service delivery fee as there is on NCL on ANY RS order.

Some people just can't read. :rolleyes:

Chris

I thought you'd gotten beyond your initial "I don't care since it's not my problem" mind set. ?

It would be great if Cruise Critic members would start thinking in terms or "We" instead of "Me". :-)

As Benjamin Franklin said to motivate the "Nay-sayers" and "Fence-sitters" to sign the Declaration of Indedpence:

"We either hang together or we will hang separately." LOL

John

John with all due respect my friend nobody was saying we when Ncl stripped away my right to smoke on my balcony. People only want to say we when it's a cause they care about

John with all due respect my friend nobody was saying we when Ncl stripped away my right to smoke on my balcony. People only want to say we when it's a cause they care about

Chris

I railed against the ban on balcony smoking, even though I quit cigarettes 15 years ago and had to give up my once a day cigars 8 years ago.

If others failed to support you, it should encourage you to not do the same to others.

"Divide and Conquer" has been a nemesis of freinds and allies since Julius Ceasar destroyed the Gaelic tribes of Gaul.

John

PS

As Bill O'Reilly would say:

"You can't use bad behavior by others to justify your bad behavior" LOL

Edited by Uniall

We are just off the Star Sunday morning. I wondered if I would hear the NCL Farewell song. I did hear it on the internal channel late Saturday night with scenes of the crew singing and waving goodbye. (I also noted three senior officers/staff on deck as we disembarked. I watched them carefully and wondered what they were thinking.)

That said, I have to say that something did feel different. I sense a break and a shift in the loyalty and trust that feels out of the control of most of the crew onboard. I noticed that my own trust and positive feeling about NCL is waning. A slight wariness and suspicion has become an unwelcome intruder. This break in trust comes from how the new management has purposefully implemented and communicated (or miscommunicated) a series of changes very quickly. I have heard these changes characterized here a couple of times as "arrogant". I think this best describes what we are seeing unfold.

Most people understand that businesses make changes to increase their profits. But when these changes are implemented in ways that totally disregard and alienate their loyal customer base, they will ultimately hurt the business sooner or later. I keep waiting for NCL to see the signs and to begin to make reparations. I hear a weak acknowledgement that communication has been lacking, but overall, it is full steam ahead with a series of increasing fees and charges with little or no explanation and a seeming assumption that we will not notice or the customer dissatisfaction is just temporary and will soon blow over.

This is not the Norwegian Way.

If what we are witnessing and experiencing is the new way of NCL, customers will begin to seek out a new family who will take better care of them and who will be more trustworthy. In a few years, we'll be reading case studies of NCL's management errors. Sad.

Your posting reminded me of the demise of Continental Airlines albeit in a different way. I used to fly frequently both domestic and international. Enough so that on one of my routes the flight attendants would say "Welcome Back when I stepped on board. Continental's staff were obviously proud of what they did ... from at least a snack on all flights, to placing your luggage on the belt instead of throwing it.

Then rumors began that Continental was about to be subsumed by United. Then it happened. Immediately after United took over (51%), all meal service (unless purchased) stopped. I used to guess whether flight attendants were "Continental" or "United" based on their personalities. Sometimes, during the inflight introduction, flight attendant would say "You are being serviced today by an all Continental Crew." Proud of their dedication to clean, reliable service. If you haven't read it, Continental's Bethume's book called Worst to First talks about building an airline and what place loyal customers and loyal employees play.

On a recent cruise onboard the Norwegian Star, two team members greeted me within my first hour on board - one of them running up to me at the lifeboat drill. They remembered me and I remembered them from sailing together before. On this same cruise, about a week into it, our cabin attendant came to me and said there was a cabin attendant on another floor that wanted to say hello. Turns out they had been our cabin attendant on another cruise. Another positive interaction for both of us.

Regretably, I have also asked more than one of the crew members whether they had received the letter that I had sent to Norwegian about them and their exceptional service. I had been told on board by NCL supervisors/officers that letters sent to NCL headquarters about team members would eventually make it to the person you were complimenting. With repeated incidences of this happening, I had to believe that telling team members when they were complimented did not always happen.

One of my favorite memories is about a waiter in the main dining room. I first met him when he was beginning training ... yes, carrying trays of food from the kitchen to the serving stand and dirty dishes back to the kitchen. When I first met this man, he spoke very little English. He looked embarrassed when I thanked him for his service at the end of the cruise. All he could say with limited English was Thank You, Thank You. Now, this man is ending a second year and has his own tables as "the waiter". I can see the joy on his face when he has recognized us and comes up and say's "Remember Me?"

I think it behooves all of us to remember that the littlest cog in the wheel may not know what is going on ... but they are working and trying their best. We, as guests, can still give a smile, ask their name, thank them for a job well done with little cost, not even a convenience charge.

Communication to staff and rewarding them for jobs well done is instrumental in building/maintaining the business whether airline or cruising. From what you said (in the quote above), it is yet another example of how the on-board staff did not know what the "head" was doing.

Effective Communication + Strong Public Relations takes the mystery out of what NCL is doing and why they are doing it. And to NCL: "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine to go down."

Chris

I railed against the ban on balcony smoking, even though I quit cigarettes 15 years ago and had to give up my once a day cigars 8 years ago.

If others failed to support you, it should encourage you to not do the same to others.

"Divide and Conquer" has been a nemesis of freinds and allies since Julius Ceasar destroyed the Gaelic tribes of Gaul.

John

PS

As Bill O'Reilly would say:

"You can't use bad behavior by others to justify your bad behavior" LOL

It's awesome you would say that I'm a huge bill oreilly fan. I just talked to one of the cruise consultants because mine is on a cruise right now lol. he said he personally does not see the charge sticking. That's a good sign right?

Your posting reminded me of the demise of Continental Airlines albeit in a different way. I used to fly frequently both domestic and international. Enough so that on one of my routes the flight attendants would say "Welcome Back when I stepped on board. Continental's staff were obviously proud of what they did ... from at least a snack on all flights, to placing your luggage on the belt instead of throwing it.

Then rumors began that Continental was about to be subsumed by United. Then it happened. Immediately after United took over (51%), all meal service (unless purchased) stopped. I used to guess whether flight attendants were "Continental" or "United" based on their personalities. Sometimes, during the inflight introduction, flight attendant would say "You are being serviced today by an all Continental Crew." Proud of their dedication to clean, reliable service. If you haven't read it, Continental's Bethume's book called Worst to First talks about building an airline and what place loyal customers and loyal employees play.

On a recent cruise onboard the Norwegian Star, two team members greeted me within my first hour on board - one of them running up to me at the lifeboat drill. They remembered me and I remembered them from sailing together before. On this same cruise, about a week into it, our cabin attendant came to me and said there was a cabin attendant on another floor that wanted to say hello. Turns out they had been our cabin attendant on another cruise. Another positive interaction for both of us.

Regretably, I have also asked more than one of the crew members whether they had received the letter that I had sent to Norwegian about them and their exceptional service. I had been told on board by NCL supervisors/officers that letters sent to NCL headquarters about team members would eventually make it to the person you were complimenting. With repeated incidences of this happening, I had to believe that telling team members when they were complimented did not always happen.

One of my favorite memories is about a waiter in the main dining room. I first met him when he was beginning training ... yes, carrying trays of food from the kitchen to the serving stand and dirty dishes back to the kitchen. When I first met this man, he spoke very little English. He looked embarrassed when I thanked him for his service at the end of the cruise. All he could say with limited English was Thank You, Thank You. Now, this man is ending a second year and has his own tables as "the waiter". I can see the joy on his face when he has recognized us and comes up and say's "Remember Me?"

I think it behooves all of us to remember that the littlest cog in the wheel may not know what is going on ... but they are working and trying their best. We, as guests, can still give a smile, ask their name, thank them for a job well done with little cost, not even a convenience charge.

Communication to staff and rewarding them for jobs well done is instrumental in building/maintaining the business whether airline or cruising. From what you said (in the quote above), it is yet another example of how the on-board staff did not know what the "head" was doing.

Effective Communication + Strong Public Relations takes the mystery out of what NCL is doing and why they are doing it. And to NCL: "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine to go down."

Excellent post. It gets across the point that dollar signs are not (should not) become the be-all and end-all (note no $ in the quoted post).

Communication; PR; loyalty and trust seem to be words that have dropped off NCL's lexicon at present. They have some work to do to repair the damage IMHO.

It's awesome you would say that I'm a huge bill oreilly fan. I just talked to one of the cruise consultants because mine is on a cruise right now lol. he said he personally does not see the charge sticking. That's a good sign right?

I just heard an interview with The Cruise Guy and (for what it's worth) he doesn't think it will stick.

It may not stick, but unfortunately for many the damage has been done. If nothing else it is a harbinger of what to expect under Del Rio and is indicative of the direction he wants to take NCL.

If it doesn't stick as rumored, would the pax on the experiments who got charged get a full refund for the portion of test fees paid? Maybe, in the form of future OBC? for their unwilling participation? Probably not, just saying ...

sent from my Google Nexus 5/7 via Taptatalk