Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Here's another difference - If you order more of Carnival's pay menu it comes out more expensive that NCL delivery fee (either one). But if one orders 4 items or less on NCL for the $4.95 fee then its more expensive / not cost effective , plus Carnival comes out on top for the free delivery items anyway.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

And they managed that without pissing off their loyal customers...Hmmmmm.

1. They announced it in advance

2. While abbreviated, most RS items are still on there and free

3. Items that now have a charge were not included in the original RS (chicken wings, pizza, sushi)--I would pay to eat sushi on my balcony.

Maybe NCL needs to take notes and watch how a successful company remains profitable while keeping their customers happy and still giving them what they want (Customers have been asking for an expanded menu, well, they got one now...but people like me can still order fruit and a carafe of coffee in the AM and still not pay a dime (other than hand to hand gratuity to my delivery person). I know where my tips are going.

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

If you read any of my post, I clearly stated many times how I think the test and the other new fees should have been rolled out.

I've never been called tacky in my life, so I won't respond to that question.

Arizona i am confused toby459 is not calling you tacky he is referring to NCL...read the post again

And they managed that without pissing off their loyal customers...Hmmmmm.

1. They announced it in advance

2. While abbreviated, most RS items are still on there and free

3. Items that now have a charge were not included in the original RS (chicken wings, pizza, sushi)--I would pay to eat sushi on my balcony.

Maybe NCL needs to take notes and watch how a successful company remains profitable while keeping their customers happy and still giving them what they want (Customers have been asking for an expanded menu, well, they got one now...but people like me can still order fruit and a carafe of coffee in the AM and still not pay a dime (other than hand to hand gratuity to my delivery person). I know where my tips are going.

Exactly. If they would have done it this way , there would have been no problem and they'd still make money on the upsell items.

Edited by janpo

+1 << Like>> 2 thumbs up for your comments

It's pretty self-evident to me, fairly early on, the quasi-pseudo jury panel on NCL that gathered here will never come to a majority opinion, it remained a hung jury, perhaps a mis-trial - but, why bothered preparing for a better case with a new docket.

Furthermore, why should anyone bothered - in the future - post anything in the middle of their vacation in the ocean, while on a cruise with expensive airtime minutes or data plans, that - hey, folks - something isn't quite right onboard up ... heads up & beware. And, to get nearly lynched for certain comments deemed insensitive when the bigger picture is overlooked. Next time, don't say a word & let them faced shock-n-awe themselves with the surprises. It's much easier to be armchair cyber-forum experts from homes & offices on land. Besides, "the" website is the ultimate authority for their cruise contract(s) - or, is it ??

We voted with our wallets on the ship 2 weeks ago and each of us spelled out in 1,000 characters with the post cruise e-surveys on what we think. That doesn't mean we will be silent on other social media, travel sites and IM apps like the one with the big "T" or certain "F" site to share. Will just have to agree to disagree, and stop beating it.

It's none of my business if someone else wanted to sign an un-dated blank check payable to CASH (on demand) to fill in the blanks; but, I surely object if someone tried to endorse it & post it to our account.

# # #

On the topic of Room Service Charge, I don't have a problem paying VAT or sales tax, i.e. while docked in Florida (or NYC, for that matter) as that's being collected & (hopefully, as it should) forwarded to the appropriate tax authorities in the jurisdictions. Autogratuity of 18% is what was printed on the sales slip to sign on our Breakaway sailing, and, I quote, "however, please use the 'Additional Tip' line to recognize exceptional service." WTH, I won't even try to decipher who is/is not getting the D.S.C. - and, frankly, don't care what/how, ec. and it is NOT my business on how they are going to allocate it. It is not the money as some of us clearly said - the fundamental principles are what we have issues with.

This lack of transparency and unacceptable rollouts are part of the tarnished corporate image problems, and it is all fuzzy - not as simple as black and white, with many shades of grey images in layers. At some point, I (as in "we" in our clusters of cruisers among friends & extended families that often do things together as a group) will call it quits, suspend & cancel additional bookings ahead of final payment deadlines, and, move the business relationships elsewhere and don't care for someone saying ... just go & do it. We will help them save their 4 pc. Godvia in a tiny box & strawberries and less work for the laundry people since we won't be "abusing" the free perks. And, they can keep their $10 comp'd house wine for us and sell it to the sheepies for $30++

I think if your are paying a hefty fee to cruise *CRUISE* remember that word. A cruise was about being waited on hand and foot. Something lots of folks like me look forward to. It's about *FOOD* I think if you want to nit pick every aspect of a cruise, charge it up front make that 8k cruise 8.5k But don't nickel and dime anyone from inside cabins to Havens, as far as that matters. It to me just takes away from the glory of the *CRUISE* That pretty much everyone has become accustomed to. Or maybe its just me. Just my 2 cents:eek:

John you have my vote!!

The biggest asset of any company selling goods or services is the Good Will and Brand Loyalty of its repeat customer base. Once it is lost, it is a long, difficult uphill road that may or may not lead to recovery.

If a regular repeat customer leaves because of a breach of trust and loyalty, his sucessor may replace a lost cabin sale but does not replace the trust and loyalty that brings repeat business.

I would disagree that the logic is flawed or false. While your point regarding Good Will and Brand Loyalty is a great asset in my opinion it isn't the end all be all to success.

YOU are putting a great emphasis on it and you have and anyone else has the right to do so. I even would have agreed with you 100% 15 or 20 years ago. However you have no way of predicting that the "sucessor" will or will not be an exact replica of the "regular repeat" customer. Just as I have no idea that he/she will.

The new customer may like the brand even if it is "different" than the past customer experienced. People will go where they can get the best perceived value for a product or service and that will always be subjective to the individual.

TheCapt

Any company can cut expenses or add fees, but when the cuts and additions impact their ability to provide the products and services they have sold their customers, their fate is sealed and they will eventually fail unless they reverse the trend. Even if they do that, they have a long hard journey to regain the confidence and trust of their customers.

I believe NCL is experiencing this and time will tell if they will realize it in time to remain a viable company.

I have seen some very large transportation companies fail by using similar tactics.

Any company can cut expenses or add fees, but when the cuts and additions impact their ability to provide the products and services they have sold their customers, their fate is sealed and they will eventually fail unless they reverse the trend. Even if they do that, they have a long hard journey to regain the confidence and trust of their customers.

I believe NCL is experiencing this and time will tell if they will realize it in time to remain a viable company.

I have seen some very large transportation companies fail by using similar tactics.

Yup, remember when JC Penney changed their strategy? They are STILL trying to buy back their loyal customers and are STILL recording quarterly losses.

I would disagree that the logic is flawed or false. While your point regarding Good Will and Brand Loyalty is a great asset in my opinion it isn't the end all be all to success.

YOU are putting a great emphasis on it and you have and anyone else has the right to do so. I even would have agreed with you 100% 15 or 20 years ago. However you have no way of predicting that the "sucessor" will or will not be an exact replica of the "regular repeat" customer. Just as I have no idea that he/she will.

The new customer may like the brand even if it is "different" than the past customer experienced. People will go where they can get the best perceived value for a product or service and that will always be subjective to the individual.

TheCapt

Marketing 101 puts brand loyalty at the top of the heap. Because you make a customer for life. The consumer that is looking for a cheapo price as his main concern will only buy once in a while. But, a brand loyal customer does not go for the lowest price, he goes where he is treated with respect, dignity and appreciation.

In my career as a conusmer frand and financial crimes prosecutor I had occassion to fall back on my undergraduate degree in management, economics and finance.

The reason the Big Bucks advertising is directed at the 18 -35 year old demograhic has nothing to do with the amount of disposable income but with the many years they will be consumers.

These are not mere musings but based upon empirical data.

This Sunday ends marks the end of "the test", right? I wonder what will happen then?

My guess....

they'll have figured out if they want to charge $4.95 or $7.95 and implement that charge on all the ships. After all.....now that other ships are doing it....

Harriet

My guess....

they'll have figured out if they want to charge $4.95 or $7.95 and implement that charge on all the ships. After all.....now that other ships are doing it....

Harriet

Not even sure it's even test anymore as the website now states "it will be debuting" on GA and BA. (Also fine print states *prices subject to change)..which means, it can even go higher.:cool:

Marketing 101 puts brand loyalty at the top of the heap. Because you make a customer for life. The consumer that is looking for a cheapo price as his main concern will only buy once in a while. But, a brand loyal customer does not go for the lowest price, he goes where he is treated with respect, dignity and appreciation.

In my career as a conusmer frand and financial crimes prosecutor I had occassion to fall back on my undergraduate degree in management, economics and finance.

The reason the Big Bucks advertising is directed at the 18 -35 year old demograhic has nothing to do with the amount of disposable income but with the many years they will be consumers.

{{{{{{{{ + 1 million}}}}}}}}}}

It may be time for a little history lesson here.

Many arguments over the past few years centered on why the DSC was not folded into the base rate. It was argued that the tax implications prevented it, the commissions to TA's would have to be more, the crew would not benefit as much because of the deductions, etc. All that has been proven untrue because NCL has now offered the DSC as a booking incentive to all but the inside cabins. The question why is very simple. They omitted the inside cabins from thei so they could still offer a low rate that appears to be competitive with the other cruise lines.

The bars and specialty restaurants were touted as the key to making a cruise profitable or a loss, and Andy Stuart was the spokesman in the video that is still available on some TV channels. Both of these items are now offered as a booking incentive for the upper level cabins.

Were we being jerked around in the past, or are we being fooled now.

You figure out the answer !!!

The publication is big, some of the forum communities like NCL are small and/or the other posters are not mainly responding due to tone / atmosphere of others compare to actual # of passengers that sail the ships.

Regardless, my point is the cruise lines do read them. As far as folks not participating due to tone. well that is personal choice. But i still would not let that silence me. If you like or don't like something use the power of social media as way to have your voice heard. This is a tool that can't be silenced. NCL does not want these types of discussion questioning their reputation and integrity. it has already cost them money. any cancelled booking is one more they need to resell.

If you are "scared" to express your opinion because you don't like the tone, then i purpose you probably will stay silent forever . Use your ignore button and move on. but say what you have to say. This is a passionate topic so its going to get ugly from time to time.

Cruising is a service related business. they need the customer to survive. they need that loyal customer, why ?because they dont have to work hard to get that business, that company has already earned the business. that loyal customer is residual income. don't fool yourself thinking that they don't, they are mislead thinking the only thing that matters is the bottom line and they can crap on the (us) customer base and still thrive. because how we the customer perceives NCL, will directly impact its bottom line.

Inc.com, says, Customer loyalty can make or break a brand in the long run. A whopping 80 percent of a company's future profits come from 20 percent of of existing customers. Do you think cruise lines are exempt from this?

Right now everyone has a different perception of NCL and their business practices. People will either to continue to buy the products based on their perceived image or customers will not remain loyal and spend their money elsewhere.

at the end of day, they need to remember the customer is always right.

Edited by tiffygirl

We'll find out later this month what the official price is.....Maybe even sooner.

yep, true!!

or maybe they were testing to see if they can add any more fees without push back.

take O'sheehans for instance...a convenience charge from 1:00am-6:30am

it would not be beyond the realm of possibilities with them

we actually don't know exactly what they were testing for

yep, true!!

or maybe they were testing to see if they can add any more fees without push back.

take O'sheehans for instance...a convenience charge from 1:00am-6:30am

it would not be beyond the realm of possibilities with them

we actually don't know exactly what they were testing for

They were testing to see between 2 ships who would buy the most for the between the 2 prices. For all we know they could had put the $4.95 on the Breakaway and $7.95 on the Getaway this week to see what happens.

Edit: They already charged late night for room service and this the nature evolution. No it will not suprise me if they charge a late night fee for O'Sheenan's or do it around the clock.

Edited by maywell

I don't dispute the empirical data and I don't think of any of your points as "musings"

Your premise(as I believe I understand it) however is that because one group of Loyal customers doesn't like the recent changes then NCL will lose them because they have soured on the Brand and that these customers are not replaceable.

It's speculation on the part of longtime NCL cruisers like yourself(and that is a great part of this discussion) just like it is speculation on my part to believe that NCL can and will replace those Loyal customers with new ones that will not have an issue with the changes.

I hope that you DO continue to cruise with NCL because I would absolutely love the opportunity to have some great discussions in person with you some time.

TheCapt

Here's another difference - If you order more of Carnival's pay menu it comes out more expensive that NCL delivery fee (either one). But if one orders 4 items or less on NCL for the $4.95 fee then its more expensive / not cost effective , plus Carnival comes out on top for the free delivery items anyway.

Wait until the two ships are docked next to each other. Figure out which one has the better deal, and order from that one.

I don't dispute the empirical data and I don't think of any of your points as "musings"

Your premise(as I believe I understand it) however is that because one group of Loyal customers doesn't like the recent changes then NCL will lose them because they have soured on the Brand and that these customers are not replaceable.

It's speculation on the part of longtime NCL cruisers like yourself(and that is a great part of this discussion) just like it is speculation on my part to believe that NCL can and will replace those Loyal customers with new ones that will not have an issue with the changes.

I hope that you DO continue to cruise with NCL because I would absolutely love the opportunity to have some great discussions in person with you some time.

TheCapt

Don't you think if NCL does chase away the loyal cruisers and replaces them with new ones that they will face the same problems when they start whacking away at the "newbies" wallets with unannounced charges ?

Also, the other cruise lines who are more financially stable than NCL aren't sitting on their thumbs watching. They are crunching numbers and are in position to begin issuing competitive rates. Strictly business to attempt to erase your competition.

TheCapt

It would be my pleasure to meet you on a cruise sometime.

My past and future cruises are in my signature.

We leave next Saturday to fly to Sydney, Aus. After a 5 day visit we board RCI Radiance in an Aft Grand Suite for an 18 day cruise to Honolulu with 2 ports in New Zealand and 3 ports in French Ploynesia. My free perks center on comp 24/7 Concierge Lounge with 3 1/2 hours cocktails and Hors d’oeuvres daily.

After 16 hours in Honolulu we reboard for a 9 day cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver CAN in the same suite with 3 ports in the Hawaiian Islands.

We'll spend 4 days in Vancouver before flying home.

In Oct we have the Owner's Suite on NCL Sun for an 11 day round trip San Diego Mexican Riviera. Our Cruise mates have booked the adjoining balcony and mini suite that were originally designed to be bedrooms 2 & 3 for my Owners' Suite and we'll open up the connecting doors use it as originally intended a 3 bedroom suite. It's design evolved into the 3 bedroom Garden Villas on the next generation Jewel Class ships. I can't wait to see what perks are still in place for Platinum Latitudes and Sutie Guests.

We will go over our 500 Latitudes mile stone on this cruise. I wonder if they'll still be giving out the genuine faux crystal alarm clock ? LOL

In Nov we have the same H7 Fwd Facing Penthouse Suite on NCL's new Escape for the first 2 home port sailings of Miami. We're doing 3 day to NCL Private Island and B2B 7 day to Caribbean.

We'll disembark and taxi to Ft Lauderdale where we do a B2B on the RCI Independence OTS for 5 nights & 4 nights to the Caribbean. I'll Go from Diamond to Diamond Plus on the first leg. I'm agains looking forward to the Concierge Private Lounge 24/7 and comp drinks and hors d'oervres from 5 - 830 every day.

So, the Split of my 2015 money between my Cruise Wife (NCL) and my Cruise Mistress (RCI) is:

NCL (Wife) $19K

RCI (Mistress) $24K

I sure hope NCL Wife decides to go for some marriage counseling... LOL

Edited by Uniall