The kerfuffle over the re-routed Carnival cruise

I'm very new to these boards so hope I am not breaking any rules but I was surprised not to see any discussion of the complaints about the re-routed Carnival cruise. It is of particular interest to me as we were on the cruise that left only a few days later. We were very lucky to still got to the South Pacific with one less port stop but it did leave me wondering how I would feel if we had ended up in Melbourne and Tasmania.

If this had happened to us I imagine we would have been disappointed but resigned to the inevitability of it/relieved to be safe from the cyclone. Am I being naive?

There is also a lot of talk of refunds and the fact that they were prevented from canceling their trips and claiming on travel insurance. Surely something like this would not be covered. I imagine the cruise contract is iron clad to protect them against circumstances like this. I do feel for these people, especially those who were looking forward to their first every trip overseas but these things happen all the time when traveling. What does everyone else think? I feel very sorry for the Carnival Cruise staff onboard and in their customer service team who are dealing with this level of animosity.

On our first cruise we missed half the cruise due to extreme bad weather in Hawaii. More was going on with the ship than the cruiseline would tell us. They took the ship back to the main port 3 days earlier which wax a lot in a 7 night cruise.

What I learnt is that on cruises bad weather happens as do other issues. The cruiselines will do what they can to provide the cruise you booked but they can never guarantee it. Port cancellations and changes happen.

Your best action is to ensure you have travel insurrance which covers cruises. Some cover port cancellation. If a port is cancelled try and get documentation from the cruise line stating this (can be harder than you think).

Before cruising beware that ports are not guarenteed.

Check weather prior to booking what regions get cyclones and when? Booking out if this time will minimise port cancellation.

Go with an open mind and try and make the best of the cruise no matter what.

Welcome to Cruise Critic wagtail_syd :D

I'm very new to these boards so hope I am not breaking any rules but I was surprised not to see any discussion of the complaints about the re-routed Carnival cruise.

I would think that might be because there might not be that many people from that cruise on Cruise Critic? (There might be complaints on the Carnival forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215, but I have not check, so they might not be....)

I must check out the complaints on the Carnival Facebook page and see what they are saying.

It is of particular interest to me as we were on the cruise that left only a few days later. We were very lucky to still got to the South Pacific with one less port stop but it did leave me wondering how I would feel if we had ended up in Melbourne and Tasmania.

If this had happened to us I imagine we would have been disappointed but resigned to the inevitability of it/relieved to be safe from the cyclone. Am I being naive?

I think it depends on the people....., some of us will be disappointed that they could not get to the South Pacific, but would be happy that they would not be spending half the cruise at sea or visiting ports that they where not meant to, but at the time, the whole of the south Pacific was unsafe as the cyclone was moving even some of the New Caledonia ports got a bit of damage from Cyclone Pam.

and there will be other people (more so the first time cruisers, who never done a cruise or understand what headache that cyclone cause the cruise lines!, so they would be more disappointed / angry that they did not get what they paid for, especially if it was for a special event (like a anniversary or birthday etc...)

so no I don't think you are been naive :)

There is also a lot of talk of refunds and the fact that they were prevented from canceling their trips and claiming on travel insurance. Surely something like this would not be covered. .

As far as I understand, travel insurance would not cover this sort of thing.

As you say these things happen all the time when traveling and when your on a cruise :)

There is also a lot of talk of refunds and the fact that they were prevented from canceling their trips and claiming on travel insurance. Surely something like this would not be covered. I imagine the cruise contract is iron clad to protect them against circumstances like this. I do feel for these people, especially those who were looking forward to their first every trip overseas but these things happen all the time when traveling. What does everyone else think? I feel very sorry for the Carnival Cruise staff onboard and in their customer service team who are dealing with this level of animosity.
First, I don't know how anyone can say you are prevented from cancelling. No-one can stop you from cancelling. That is your choice. As to whether you get any compensation/recompense from the cruise company for such a cancellation would be highly unlikely. Like you yourself pointed out, the contract of carriage covers the cruise line well.

As far as I understand, travel insurance would not cover this sort of thing.
Regards insurance coverage if you cancelled under such circumstances: Obviously depends on your particular insurance policy. You would need to read the fine print.

Made me look at my policy just now.

Point here is, your cruise destination was suppose to be the South Pacific Islands. But since the cruise line has (understandably) changed the itinerary to such an extent that you are not even going anywhere near the scheduled Ports of Call, it becomes no longer the holiday you had booked! I mean, itinerary IS a very important factor in choice of cruise. Under those circumstances, I think you would have a reasonable cause to cancel.

K, so my policy states clearly:

"We cover you for the unexpected cancellation of travel arrangements and other unexpected expenses, provided the claim is not covered elsewhere in this insurance and is for one of the unexpected reasons listed below:

• there is a natural disaster, or a natural disaster has recently happened or is reasonably expected to happen either at your destination or at you or your travel companion's normal residence in Australia."

So, two conditions need to be met here.

1/ travel arrangements unexpectedly cancelled. You cancel unexpectedly because the new revised cruise itinerary manifestly changes the nature from intended holiday - no longer a South Pacific Islands cruise. (Note: my policy does not differentiate as to whom cancelled the travel arrangements, so irrelevant if I or tour company or airline or cruise company etc cancelled).

2/ natural disaster has recently happened at your destination. Cyclone certainly is natural and a disaster. And wiped out where you were scheduled to go.

Certainly would give me cause to assume I would be fully covered if I cancelled under these circumstances. Of course question must be asked, will the insurance company see things the same way?

As in this case where cruisers received forewarning of itinerary change, if it was me I personally would have been ringing the insurance provider asap to see where I stood regard cancellation under these circumstances - before I actually cancelled! Hope they would see it the same way as me.

p.s. All insurance policies are not the same!! Everyone should take the time to read the PDS of their policy to see if it fits their needs.

Edited by GandM-nq

That's very interesting GandM. I had just assumed that you would only receive a refund if the cruise line cancelled the cruise altogether as opposed to the cruiser choosing to cancel because they don't like the alternative itinerary. If that really is the case then I can understand why people are upset. They are saying that Carnival knew full well that they were not going to the South Pacific but didn't tell them until they were at sea so that it was too late for them to choose to cancel and get a refund through insurance.

And just to add a point here about fully understanding the policies.

I could have got caught out badly with a travel insurance policy we took out last year for a holiday in January. Travel insurance policy (and holiday) was booked through the local motoring organisation. Now the travel insurance was the motoring organisation's own insurance policy. Thought it would be a safe option. BUT....

Didn't fully comprehend the fine print! Was covered for holiday cancellation if fire, flood or earthquake had damaged or destroyed my place of residence. Fair enough. Except OMG I live in a cyclone prone area!! If my house had got damaged or wiped out from a cyclone just before the holiday, and then I decided to not go on the holiday (cause hey, maybe homeless or whatever), I wouldn't have been able to claim cancellation costs under this policy !!

Disappointed the motoring organisation thinks it is fine to sell a policy that excludes (by omission) events such as cyclones to people that live in cyclone prone areas that are going on holidays during the local cyclone season!

This is why I now get travel insurance from a different provider, that specifically has this clause :

"We cover you for the unexpected cancellation of travel arrangements and other unexpected expenses, provided the claim is not covered elsewhere in this insurance and is for one of the unexpected reasons listed below:

• there is a natural disaster, or a natural disaster has recently happened or is reasonably expected to happen either at your destination or at you or your travel companion's normal residence in Australia.

caveat emptor!

That's very interesting GandM. I had just assumed that you would only receive a refund if the cruise line cancelled the cruise altogether as opposed to the cruiser choosing to cancel because they don't like the alternative itinerary. If that really is the case then I can understand why people are upset. They are saying that Carnival knew full well that they were not going to the South Pacific but didn't tell them until they were at sea so that it was too late for them to choose to cancel and get a refund through insurance.
If that was indeed the case as unfolded, I would be stomping mad too.

And just to add a point here about fully understanding the policies.

I could have got caught out badly with a travel insurance policy we took out last year for a holiday in January. Travel insurance policy (and holiday) was booked through the local motoring organisation. Now the travel insurance was the motoring organisation's own insurance policy. Thought it would be a safe option. BUT....

Didn't fully comprehend the fine print! Was covered for holiday cancellation if fire, flood or earthquake had damaged or destroyed my place of residence. Fair enough. Except OMG I live in a cyclone prone area!! If my house had got damaged or wiped out from a cyclone just before the holiday, and then I decided to not go on the holiday (cause hey, maybe homeless or whatever), I wouldn't have been able to claim cancellation costs under this policy !!

Disappointed the motoring organisation thinks it is fine to sell a policy that excludes (by omission) events such as cyclones to people that live in cyclone prone areas that are going on holidays during the local cyclone season!

This is why I now get travel insurance from a different provider, that specifically has this clause :

• there is a natural disaster, or a natural disaster has recently happened or is reasonably expected to happen either at your destination or at you or your travel companion's normal residence in Australia.

caveat emptor!

Wouldn't let me edit. To update/clarify, seems the motoring organisation's travel insurance PDS was updated (30th April 2014 ) since my January 2014 Holiday. Amended policy may? now cover cancellation before departure because of cyclone damage of residence. Still doesn't cover cancellation mid holiday because of cyclone damage to primary residence (but does if damage by fire flood earthquake. hmmmpff)

My understanding is that people feel they were deceived, that Carnival knew well before they boarded that they were not going to the South Pacific, but deliberately chose not to tell them until they were trapped on board and sailing away.

If that is the case (and I have no idea if it is) then I can understand them being upset. Families would have paid for passports, reef gear etc. Potentially saved up for a long time. First overseas trip, much anticipation and excitement. Different for every family, but easier for some than others not to feel so disappointed.

I do wonder if they (Carnival) could have done better by either canceling the cruise outright (people could claim insurance and book a future cruise) or choosing a better itinerary than Melbourne and Hobart. I understand the difficulties in changing ports at short notice .. I think perhaps they should have cancelled. Melbourne & Hobart are really not even close, and it's a bit different to just missing a port due to bad weather.

I'd personally be bummed about going to Melbourne, I live here!!

I see on the Carnival fb page today that the people on that cruise have now been given a 50% credit on their next cruise...

That is good news. If they were not informed until they had left, it is a bit like deceptive trading.

I see on the Carnival fb page today that the people on that cruise have now been given a 50% credit on their next cruise...

I know many will still complain, but that actually sounds fair to me.

If they were not informed until they had left, it is a bit like deceptive trading.

What? So akin to today is a bit like tomorrow, or a camel is a bit like a horse??

I know little or nothing of the circumstances, but that doesn't stop some around here. So the cruiseline, once it determined that the original itinerary was not a good option, could

1. press on regardless and cruise into a Cat 5 cyclone

2. sail on an alternative itinerary, arranged at short notice and with limited port options

3. tell everyone at the wharf - "Go home - cruise is cancelled" - "here's a letter - claim it on your insurance".

They were silly enough it seems to choose #2, which turned out OK for some (most?) in the circumstances & not OK for others & now it seems to be a bit like .... you know I can't even write it;)

That is good news. If they were not informed until they had left, it is a bit like deceptive trading.

they do have it in their t&c they can change the itinerary once they leave port and they dont have to give them anything but a lot of cruisers dont care where they go as long as its on a ship having a holiday