Shore excursion prices raised across the board!

dvdgunner

Looking at South America itinerary, the shore excursions did not go up. It must be certain destinations? It seems like a lot of people are talking about Alaska predominantly with a Caribbean one thrown in for good measure. What destinations is everyone seeing these increases on besides those two? :cool:

If you want to see the track record of FDR check the prices of shore trips on Oceania. They are 3x the price of other lines, in some ports for the exact same trip.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Prices do go up. And I'll speculate that the VENDORS, operating these tours increased their prices. Everyone is free to go independent. But likely those prices aren't the same either. If they are, then book direct.

My opinion, but the rants here can be spread around. They aren't all on NCL.

Looking at South America itinerary, the shore excursions did not go up. It must be certain destinations? It seems like a lot of people are talking about Alaska predominantly with a Caribbean one thrown in for good measure. What destinations is everyone seeing these increases on besides those two? :cool:

Our excursions are European, on the Epic, all 3 we were GOING to book gone up by $10 each.

It seems like a lot of people are talking about Alaska predominantly with a Caribbean one thrown in for good measure. What destinations is everyone seeing these increases on besides those two? :cool:
I don't have the full price list from our Canary Islands & Morocco cruise in February, but of the 9 excursions that I am able to check, it looks like:

• 2 are unchanged
  • 1 is now $10 cheaper
  • the other 6 now cost $10 more

It's hard for me to say if this is price gouging by NCL, or if these are the typical price increases that can be seen throughout the travel industry as we move into high season. Shorex prices change all the time, that's why if you go to the excursions desk on board they have the tour descriptions on one sheet and a separate order form with the prices for that cruise.

My husband and I are on the Pearl to Alaska in August. I have booked all of our excursions, thank goodness. I booked 3 excursions and the price went up on all 3 for a total of $50 for each of us. Glad I booked and paid for mine already!!

Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake - Up $10

White Pass Railway and Yukon - Up $30

Saxman Village and Show - Up $10

Edited by chasinraynbowz

My husband and I are on the Pearl to Alaska in August. I have booked all of our excursions, thank goodness. I booked 3 excursions and the price went up on all 3 for a total of $50 for each of us. Glad I booked and paid for mine already!!

Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake - Up $10

White Pass Railway and Yukon - Up $30

Saxman Village and Show - Up $10

These also are good examples of excellent independent tours to consider for those who don't want to pay the price increase. Some independent options also superior, for some tours.

These also are good examples of excellent independent tours to consider for those who don't want to pay the price increase. Some independent options also superior, for some tours.

The cruise lines take a chunk of profit from excursions so in turn they are higher in price. The tour operators, wanting to make a profit, pack on as many people as they can. We always book non ship excursions unless there is a time issue. :)

Because of this thread, I checked the excursions I was planning on booking later for our Alaskan cruise. One went up by $30pp so I decided to check out the company that is doing that tour. I ended up booking directly with them and I'm now SAVING right under $75pp. So that $150 difference is going to benefit that company because I plan on tipping them well.

The other excursion we were contemplating has gone up $10pp and I checked their website and it looks like I have to book through the cruise line so now I'm going to back up and start looking for independent tour operations. It's not like either myself nor my husband had our heart set on doing this particular tour (unlike the tour mentioned above) and the extra $20 won't kill us, but I'm going to re-strategize. I may find something even better!

We usually prefer independent tours and have done many, including in Europe. For some reason, I just booked thru the cruiseline this time. Maybe I need to do some research and see what is out there for us!! :D

We usually prefer independent tours and have done many, including in Europe. For some reason, I just booked thru the cruiseline this time. Maybe I need to do some research and see what is out there for us!! :D

Especially your Mendenhall choice, is, overall not a good one. You do know the salmon bake is outside? Not a good choice if cold and/or raining. Both of these are easily done independent, no prior booking needed.

I'm assuming you've chosen your Saxman Village tour due to the dancers and getting into the carving shed.

The White Pass RR/Yukon combos are superior independent, with smaller groups, which is significant for more stops, better viewing as well on the bus portion.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks for the heads up on this increase. I am meeting with my cotraveller tomorrow so we can plan our shore excursions for our June Epic european cruise. Guess we'll have to consider private tours now.

Some excursions have not increased, but most big tour excursions have increased 10$, 20$ and even 30$.

One that makes no sense : A small tour in Cannes, which is in fact just a guided walking tour from the boat (no motorcoach) with a small wine tasting at a monastery actually increased from 39$ to 99$, a 150% increase. Do they provide a brand new pair of shoes with the tour now?

One that makes no sense : A small tour in Cannes, which is in fact just a guided walking tour from the boat (no motorcoach) with a small wine tasting at a monastery actually increased from 39$ to 99$, a 150% increase.

That is crazy! And the child price is $99, too, for all those wine-swilling toddlers :D But I have to say that $39 seems surprisingly cheap for this excursion (the monastery is on an island, so there is some transportation included…)

Especially your Mendenhall choice, is, overall not a good one. You do know the salmon bake is outside? Not a good choice if cold and/or raining. Both of these are easily done independent, no prior booking needed.

I'm assuming you've chosen your Saxman Village tour due to the dancers and getting into the carving shed.

The White Pass RR/Yukon combos are superior independent, with smaller groups, which is significant for more stops, better viewing as well on the bus portion.

I had looked on the Alaska board here on CC and didn't see anything about independent tours. I will need to look again. If you have the name of one you know and trust, you can email me (see below) the name if you don't mind.

I did know that the salmon bake was outside, but since we are going in early August, I wasn't too worried.

Thanks!!

Edited by chasinraynbowz

We are booked on Pride of America this August. Luckily, we booked the shore excursions a few months ago, because the increase for the four of us would be $140. A rep confirmed that we will not be charged the difference (I made a change to the booking, not shore excursion related, last week). This is our first cruise with NCL, so I really can't say if the experience with them is worth the increases that are happening. This will probably be our last cruise with them, only because we are happy with Royal Caribbean. We just wanted the seven night inter-island cruise experience that NCL offers.