Michael Kors Boutique opens onboard Solstice

QE2_Fan

Last day on our great white lady, Solstice. Once again had the most fabulous time!!

Just thought I'd share an exclusive, they have refurbed one of the bag shops on board and today reopened as the exclusive Michael Kors boutique. The Captain formally opened with a red ribbon cutting at midday. With bags, glasses and resort wear all around $2-300 a piece there were lots of lookers but not many sales, at least whilst we were taking a look through!!d1726bbd931e2430725b6ceb495be868.jpga0f247d1bb72776c769b5e4180bcaf94.jpg4ed595587e184b323fe7300d107e1bed.jpgbb7fc663c562ed972b7ca5894f3fda03.jpg3dacf05bea7473fb237314e597f34fb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last day on our great white lady, Solstice. Once again had the most fabulous time!! Just thought I'd share an exclusive, they have refurbed one of the bag shops on board and today reopened as the exclusive Michael Kors boutique. The Captain formally opened with a red ribbon cutting at midday. With bags, glasses and resort wear all around $2-300 a piece there were lots of lookers but not many sales, at least whilst we were taking a look through!!

Appreciate your posting these nice pictures. Noticed the Captain was the same one we had a year ago in doing our Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland. Fun, exciting trip and super adventure. Personally, and being a "guy", shopping at Michael Kors is something to be totally avoided and discouraged.

Not a big fan for such "retail therapy" during cruising periods. My view is that these shops should be just for "looking", not buying!! Right?? My wife likes to buy too many purses!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 104,727 views for this posting.

We were on the Oasis TA and they started opening at least 3 high end shops. Many went to see the opening for potential deals. After that very few ventured into the shops and the sales people were standing out side. Maybe a ship with lottery winners will do well. or I guess being simi poor like me is a bummer when it comes to high end stores LOL.

They had an official opening of the Michael Kors shop on the Solstice back in February when we were on board as well. Marketing me thinks. Wonder how many more they may have.

Was that on Solstice or one of the other Solstice class ships? The MK shop was newly refitted whilst we where onboard, although they did sell some MK stuff in the other general shops.

@TLCOHIO couldn't agree more [emoji13] but just thought I'd share for the MK Fashion fanboys (fan girls!!).

As someone mentioned, the opening was busy but from then on hardly saw anyone in there.

Was that on Solstice or one of the other Solstice class ships? The MK shop was newly refitted whilst we where onboard, although they did sell some MK stuff in the other general shops.

@TLCOHIO couldn't agree more [emoji13] but just thought I'd share for the MK Fashion fanboys (fan girls!!).

As someone mentioned, the opening was busy but from then on hardly saw anyone in there.

It was "The Solstice". They made a big thing about the "Official Opening".

I don't rely on cruise ships for my shopping, so in the end this doesn't impact me per se.

That said, it seems that this is just another attempt to position the cruise line as upscale rather than mainstream, and appeal to the higher income crowd that books the suites. (this is not a slam against them - just an observation on Celebrity marketing).

But the vast majority of the cabins on their ships are filled with middle-to-upper middle class folks, not the rich. Am I the only one in that range feeling a bit pushed to the back of the bus these days after literally decades of loyalty?? With the current lack of perks, same or higher cabin prices, increased beverage package prices, and recently increased specialty restaurant prices I am honestly feeling a bit shell-shocked. Am I the only one?

There was a Michael Kors grand opening on our recent Silhouette cruise as well. I did not attend but browsed afterwards. The bags had no price tags on them so you had to ask the prices. Also one of the other stores was selling some Michael Kors merchandise at reduced prices. Made me wonder how they could already be having clearance markdowns if the store just opened?? The clothing did have price tags though, and did not seem outrageously priced to me. Seemed to be very few people actually buying though.

There was a Michael Kors grand opening on our recent Silhouette cruise as well. I did not attend but browsed afterwards. The bags had no price tags on them so you had to ask the prices. Also one of the other stores was selling some Michael Kors merchandise at reduced prices. Made me wonder how they could already be having clearance markdowns if the store just opened?? The clothing did have price tags though, and did not seem outrageously priced to me. Seemed to be very few people actually buying though.

Curious - what prices are we talking about? I am one of those people who find a $200 casual top way over what I would be willing to spend on clothing. I know everyone is different, so am curious of the range?

Curious - what prices are we talking about? I am one of those people who find a $200 casual top way over what I would be willing to spend on clothing. I know everyone is different, so am curious of the range?

Bags were mostly over $200... Around USD248 and above. Think the. Clothing was cheaper but a slip dress my wife looked at was $198. Definitely paying for the brand rather than quality clothing.

The dedicated store was definitely a new addition on this cruise, as it was open in the first few days as the genetic 'high end' bag and accessory store 'MODA'. They then shut it down around Day 3 or 4 and construction lasted most of the cruise until it reopened on the last day as the dedicated MK store.

They always have 'VIP' or 'Special Events' however...all part of the marketing ploy to get you into the stores.

They were selling discounted MK watches in the 'cheaper' downstairs shops and have done for a while. Maybe they started selling more MK stuff before the actual shop was changed (seems to be a fleet wide change, at least for S class). And that is what the earlier celebrations referred to.

All observations from us, aside from checking out the Grand Opening we pretty much bypassed the shops in Deck 5. Even the general stored on Deck 4 missed us this trip.. We were not onboard to shop [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they had some tops under $100, around $80 or $90 I think. I asked about one bag I liked and I think it was $280. Didn't seem any cheaper than Michael Kors outlet at home (except no tax). I think it will be similar to their iStore items ( no discounted prices, but you are not paying tax).

Edited by sp2

Same as The Coach store on Oasis, lots of high prices, a few lookers not many byers. The prices and selection at the Coach Outlet near me was better. Unless I have alot of OBC then I would not be spending hundreds on a high end purse.

Same as The Coach store on Oasis, lots of high prices, a few lookers not many byers. The prices and selection at the Coach Outlet near me was better. Unless I have alot of OBC then I would not be spending hundreds on a high end purse.

If one is concerned about high priced options for purchase just go to an art auction and see how much money is spent there. Whilst money is there so will be the high priced goods. Remember one can still buy a souvenir T shirt for 10 bucks.

I paid $ 1800.00 for a watch for my husband on a cruise…. (not our last one but the one before that) It is a rose gold triangle shape - very unusual and really stunning……can't remember the maker but he gets compliments on it EVERY time he wears it…….

I am a shopper (oh yeah) - many Coach, Prada, Dooney Bourke, Hobo purses etc….. but MK is not a brand I will spend the money on.

I agree - there is people with money on Celebrity cruises……. and they are not all sailing in Suites :eek:

I paid $ 1800.00 for a watch for my husband on a cruise…. (not our last one but the one before that) It is a rose gold triangle shape - very unusual and really stunning……can't remember the maker but he gets compliments on it EVERY time he wears it…….

I am a shopper (oh yeah) - many Coach, Prada, Dooney Bourke, Hobo purses etc….. but MK is not a brand I will spend the money on.

I agree - there is people with money on Celebrity cruises……. and they are not all sailing in Suites :eek:

I think that might be a Lamborghini watch you purchased for your hubby!! I did eye those myself but resisted the splurge!!

We often walked past the high end shops on Deck 5 to get to our cabin and noticed they were nearly always empty.

Spoke to one of the sales assistants we remembered from our October cruise and asked him if they made good sales. He said yes definitely, there was a lot of jewellery being purchased. Again I resisted the urge to buy the $14,500 pair of Le Vian earrings my wife was eyeballing each time we had pre dinner drinks at Molecular [emoji15][emoji33]

But she did get some nice pearls and Swarovski bracelets from the Deck 4 stores!! Not quite the $10 tshirt Beanb41 suggests lol!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan