Harmony, Allure, Oasis broadway shows

Cats is not bad. Cats is long and is plagued by the fact that the post intermission acts are better than the pre intermission acts. There are always going to be some that will not enjoy this type of show.

I did the premier of Cats on Oasis and then did the premier of Mamma Mia on Quantum, just a week apart.

A big difference was noticed in that only 60% of the audience returned after intermission with Cats, while every seat was packed after the intermission of Mamma Mia.

Mamma Mia is a very high energy show and the RCI production closely rivals the West End and other productions, while the Cats production faces more limitations and is stylistically less appealing to cruise passengers.

I really don't understand, why you would ask "Is cats as bad as everyone says it is", surely the answer is in the question. Those that think it is not to their taste will say so, others that like it will say so. Therefore if you have read more about it being bad, then the majority of those that have written that obviously think that is the case.

I think that cats is a good production of that show, the quality of the singers and dancers is very good, unfortunately I also think that Cats is the wrong show for a ship. as in my opinion it goes for too long without changes to scenery or costume, but that is just my opinion.:eek:

Which Broadway shows will be on Harmony, Oasis, and Allure in 2016? Will it be Oasis - Cats, Allure - Mama Mia, Harmony - Chicago? Is Cats as bad as everyone says it is?

I notice that while Cats, Chicago, Mamma Mia and Saturday night fever are listed as 'Broadway Shows' on the Royal Caribbean Productions website, they have 'We Will Rock You' as a production show.

I wonder if they were given rights to adapt the show for a shorter version or if it just fits this category better.

I notice that NCL has went with two 'production shows' on the Norwegian Escape, rather then one Broadway Show. I wonder if RCI might do the same to better please the cruise passenger market.

I really don't understand, why you would ask "Is cats as bad as everyone says it is", surely the answer is in the question. Those that think it is not to their taste will say so, others that like it will say so. Therefore if you have read more about it being bad, then the majority of those that have written that obviously think that is the case.

I think that cats is a good production of that show, the quality of the singers and dancers is very good, unfortunately I also think that Cats is the wrong show for a ship. as in my opinion it goes for too long without changes to scenery or costume, but that is just my opinion.:eek:

Thank you for the input. I don't know much about Cats and noticed the last couple reviews I read, the reviewers didn't enjoy it. I'm interested in hearing more about the opinions of why some people think it is bad or some peopel think it is good, so I can decide for myself if I think I would enjoy it. Just trying to narrow down my cruise options and the broadway show offered would be taken into consideration when making the final decision :)

Thank you for the input. I don't know much about Cats and noticed the last couple reviews I read, the reviewers didn't enjoy it. I'm interested in hearing more about the opinions of why some people think it is bad or some peopel think it is good, so I can decide for myself if I think I would enjoy it. Just trying to narrow down my cruise options and the broadway show offered would be taken into consideration when making the final decision :)

I enjoyed it immensely. The costume/makeup were great as was the singing and dancing. As someone pointed out the lack of set or costumes changes may not help in holding people attention, especially if they do not know what is going on or who the characters are. It helps to find a playbill and read up on the musical for those that don't know what it is about.

We watched it on Oasis back in January and there were people that were leaving 15-20 minutes in. Not sure what they were expecting, real performing cats? :rolleyes:

Is Cats as bad as everyone says it is?

I lived in NYC and saw lots of Broadway shows, including CATS. I can say it is the only musical I ever walked out of. So, YES, in my opinion it is "as bad as everyone says it is."

Furthermore, IMHO, it is inappropriate for cruise entertainment which is best when more upbeat and shorter...too much to do on board. I never understood Royal's choice of CATS and sure home it is replaced before I sail on Oasis this December! If not, that is just one show reservation I won't have to worry about making!

I lived in NYC and saw lots of Broadway shows, including CATS. I can say it is the only musical I ever walked out of. So, YES, in my opinion it is "as bad as everyone says it is."

Furthermore, IMHO, it is inappropriate for cruise entertainment which is best when more upbeat and shorter...too much to do on board. I never understood Royal's choice of CATS and sure home it is replaced before I sail on Oasis this December! If not, that is just one show reservation I won't have to worry about making!

Totally agree...I've seen Broadway shows and quite a few London musical theater productions and we got up and walked out of Cats on the Oasis. Yes, great costumes but OMG, NOT a good choice for a cruise ship! I think cruisers want something upbeat with a tempo and not long drawn out musical drama. I think the only song anyone recognized was Memories. I wish we'd gone on Oasis last year when Hairspray was still playing. Now, THAT is awesome musical theater! Maybe Michael Ball can be talked into resurrecting Edna from his London show...he said recently he'd love to play her again. RCI? Listening? I'd go on Oasis again just to see him as Edna Turnblad!:D:D (I saw him 17 times as Edna in London, and yes, I am a 'Ballette')

Edited by Diver2014

We saw Cats on the 14 Mar 15 Oasis sailing and we really enjoyed it. I have seen Cats many years ago, and I agree that if you are not familiar with the 'plot', then it can leave you a little confused - especially since the first time I saw it, I had to help out a friend who although completely fluent in English, it was not his first language.

This time, I made sure to read up on the show in advance and talk to my family about the storyline. As well, I have a Greatest Hits of Andrew Lloyd Webber, so I made sure to play the couple of Cats songs on it for the family in advance of the trip. Although DH stills prefers Chicago (last year on Allure - girls with skimpy costumes :), we all enjoyed this year's production of Cats, including my DD 17 and DS 16. Granted, their friends from the Teen Club were not as prepared and did not give it good reviews.

During the break they allowed anyone interested to go up on the stage and meet/get photos with Old Deuteronomy and my daughter really enjoyed that option. Songs in the second half include Magical Mr Mistoffelees, Macavity:the Mystery Cat and the reprisal of Memory, which rate as some of our personal favourites from this show.

Cats is not bad ... it's awful. We saw it on Broadway and were stumped by its popularity. We hated it but go see for yourself. You may be among the people that that love it. It is the 3rd longest running Broadway show in history. Chicago is #2 and we loved Chicago.

Jellicle Cats made me puke in my hat, Jellicle Cats please give me a bat! Jellicle Cats I prefer a big RAT! Jellicle, Jellicle,....Jellicle, Jellicle OH WHAT CRAP.

Yup I feel strongly against this. I love shows, musical, plays etc, been to plenty of broadway shows for years and off Broadways stuff and my first walk out is CATS!!! Avoid it! PLEASE I'm hoping a low turn out will get them to scrap it. (To be fair the actors/singers are good it's the source material)

As for Chicago, sure I love, great songs and fantastic dancing, but very very disappointed in Royal with a new beautiful ship to recycle a show. Oasis and Allure got new shows and they gave Harmony Chicago and THEY charging you a premium to sail her, to see a show that's playing tonight on Allure. Does not get me excited to go out and spend extra fare to go to the same old ports with the same old show.

If you are going for a show sounds like Allure is the winner for my personal taste, it a great fun show. BUT If you hate ABBA, then Jellicle cats it is! :D

Edited by Duke Mazer

Jellicle Cats made me puke in my hat, Jellicle Cats please give me a bat! Jellicle Cats I prefer a big RAT! Jellicle, Jellicle,....Jellicle, Jellicle OH WHAT CRAP.

Yup I feel strongly against this. I love shows, musical, plays etc, been to plenty of broadway shows for years and off Broadways stuff and my first walk out is CATS!!! Avoid it! PLEASE I'm hoping a low turn out will get them to scrap it. (To be fair the actors/singers are good it's the source material)

As for Chicago, sure I love, great songs and fantastic dancing, but very very disappointed in Royal with a new beautiful ship to recycle a show. Oasis and Allure got new shows and they gave Harmony Chicago and THEY charging you a premium to sail her, to see a show that's playing tonight on Allure. Does not get me excited to go out and spend extra fare to go to the same old ports with the same old show.

If you are going for a show sounds like Allure is the winner for my personal taste, it a great fun show. BUT If you hate ABBA, then Jellicle cats it is! :D

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen an announcement or anything?

http://harmonyoftheseas.fr/#entertaintment/2

The french site for Harmony

PECTACLES DE BROADWAY

Les plus grandes comédies musicales de Broadway vont bientôt vous éblouir ! Installez-vous confortablement dans votre siège car vous allez être notamment subjugués par l’œuvre Chicago, un spectacle électrisant de renommée mondiale et récompensé aux Prix Tony®, Olivier et Grammy Awards.

For those that don't speak french

BROADWAY SHOWS

The greatest Broadway musicals will soon dazzle you! Get comfortable in your seat because you will be overwhelmed by the work including Chicago, an electrifying spectacle of world-renowned and awarded the Tony®, Olivier and Grammy Awards.

http://harmonyoftheseas.fr/#entertaintment/2

The french site for Harmony

PECTACLES DE BROADWAY

Les plus grandes comédies musicales de Broadway vont bientôt vous éblouir ! Installez-vous confortablement dans votre siège car vous allez être notamment subjugués par l’œuvre Chicago, un spectacle électrisant de renommée mondiale et récompensé aux Prix Tony®, Olivier et Grammy Awards.

For those that don't speak french

BROADWAY SHOWS

The greatest Broadway musicals will soon dazzle you! Get comfortable in your seat because you will be overwhelmed by the work including Chicago, an electrifying spectacle of world-renowned and awarded the Tony®, Olivier and Grammy Awards.

And the spanish site suggests "Chicago" and "Mama Mia" does that mean that spanish guests see both shows (I doubt it). I suspect that these releases are not stating what show(s) will be on Harmony, but to offer an example of the kinds of shows that can be found on RCI ships.

And the spanish site suggests "Chicago" and "Mama Mia" does that mean that spanish guests see both shows (I doubt it). I suspect that these releases are not stating what show(s) will be on Harmony, but to offer an example of the kinds of shows that can be found on RCI ships.

That's what I had thought.

I notice that while Cats, Chicago, Mamma Mia and Saturday night fever are listed as 'Broadway Shows' on the Royal Caribbean Productions website, they have 'We Will Rock You' as a production show.

I wonder if they were given rights to adapt the show for a shorter version or if it just fits this category better.

Looks like "We Will Rock You" is only 60 min while Hairspray/Chicago were 90 min and Cats/Mamma Mia! 2.5 hours.

steamboats

Looks like "We Will Rock You" is only 60 min while Hairspray/Chicago were 90 min and Cats/Mamma Mia! 2.5 hours.

steamboats

What is interesting is that Mamma Mia ran 2.5 hours as well and the audience was still wanting more.

This just shows that is not directly the time, but the style that suits some cruisers better than others.

I am thinking that 'We Will Rock You' must have been longer on Broadway or the West End.

Hi OP. Rather than listen to our opinions of Cats (although I must admit I love it) I would suggest using google and listening to some of the songs to help you form an opinion. Even if everybody on Cruise Critic hates it you may love it. [emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192]

What is interesting is that Mamma Mia ran 2.5 hours as well and the audience was still wanting more.

This just shows that is not directly the time, but the style that suits some cruisers better than others.

I am thinking that 'We Will Rock You' must have been longer on Broadway or the West End.

Or the website is screwed up:eek: and it is actually longer than 60 minutes.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Hi OP. Rather than listen to our opinions of Cats (although I must admit I love it) I would suggest using google and listening to some of the songs to help you form an opinion. Even if everybody on Cruise Critic hates it you may love it. [emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192][emoji192]

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into it. I had seen the movie Chicago and enjoyed the movie; seeing it for the first time live on Allure was great. I think I would enjoy Mamma Mia as well for the same reason. I know nothing about Cats though. I think I'll do some more research on my own. We are hoping to take my mom and brother on their first cruise next year, so I really want to pick a ship with a great show that I think they will enjoy, since the broadway show was such a big highlight for us when we cruised last time.

It might well be, but they do have it listed as a Production Show at Royal Caribbean Productions website and not a Broadway Show.

I think it is interesting in relation to NCL's choice to go with two different Production Shows rather than a single Broadway Show.

It might well be, but they do have it listed as a Production Show at Royal Caribbean Productions website and not a Broadway Show.

I think it is interesting in relation to NCL's choice to go with two different Production Shows rather than a single Broadway Show.

The new NCL Escape will have 2 broadway shows. After Midnight and Million Dollar Quartet.

My reservation for We Will Rock You for the Anthem this summer shows it as 90 minutes on my calendar. We saw the touring company for this show a year ago and I am guessing that it ran maybe a little longer but not a whole extra hour, it wasn't a very long show. The other two shows currently available for advance reservation, The Gift and Spectra's Cabaret, are 50 and 55 minutes.

I´m on the pre inaugural and the schedule we´ve been given (not on MyCruises) shows a 60 min time frame. But it´s the same with Spectra´s Cabaret and "Headliner".

steamboats