Silly question about formal nite

Do you have to get dressed up fancy?? Is it mandatory??

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You have asked a very controversial question for these boards!

If you do a search of the boards you will find literally hundreds of threads about clothing for formal night.

Dress codes are a suggestion only. You will find that most people will abide by the suggested minimums - depending on the ship and where they plan to eat.

It is entirely up to you what you feel comfortable wearing

It depends on the cruise line. On Cunard you must be dressed according to the dress code in all public areas, for the entire evening. Other lines are less strict than that, but some standards may still apply (ie, no shorts in main dining room).

It depends on what you plan on doing. I hate dressing up...c'mon, I'm on vacation! Sometimes I will eat at the buffet, put on my swimsuit & spend the evening in the hot tub drinking rum punch! [emoji2][emoji484]

If thats what you want to do then go right ahead. The buffets are always a casual dining option..

On Cunard you must be dressed according to the dress code in all public areas, for the entire evening.

And that would be one reason I would not sail on Cunard! Even on mainstream cruiselines, the suggested dress was for the evening, not just the MDR. Fortunately, that began to change a decade ago!

It depends on the cruise line. On Cunard you must be dressed according to the dress code in all public areas, for the entire evening. Other lines are less strict than that, but some standards may still apply (ie, no shorts in main dining room).

Just a guess, but I think the OP was inquiring about Royal Caribbean seeing this is the Royal Caribbean Forum and not The Cunard Forum. I could be wrong though.:eek:

Yes I was asking about RC oasis not Cunard :)

I see you are fairly new to the boards. The answers given by clarea (Bob) will almost always give you the correct response.

Dress code is just a suggestion, and not enforced.

Wait a second, we spent 8 nights on the QM2 and this was never the case. Yes at dinner, but NOT in public areas. To the OP, as far as RCCL goes listen to Bob, he for sure knows what he is talking about.

Edited by skyking

Just an alternate view. Formal nights give you an opportunity to dress to the nines. As a guy I could care less but the ladies really like those two nights out of the whole year to dress and see their guys dresses up. For those nights the pace is different, people get more pictures and for those eight hours the world is a little different. Play James Bond for the night and dance a little, gamble a little and most defiantly stroll with your lady I the moonlight. Romantic- yep but The tradition it is a part of cruising. Cost of dressing up a hundred bucks high end, rewards for going the extra mile- priceless!

If last week's formal night on Liberty is any indication, it's not required nor enforced. We sat in my time dining between two other tables of 2. I was in a suit and tie, my wife in a cocktail dress, but we like that from time to time. Gentleman to my left was with his son. Both were in shorts, flip-flops. Dad wore a UnderArmor t-shirt without a collar, the son wore basically the same thing. On my right was a lovely couple from Nashville: He wore long khaki pants and a golf shirt (no jacket), she wore a lovely sun dress. I saw nobody in a tux the entire night.

Bottom line - wear what you want and enjoy.. you won't be turned away.

Do you have to get dressed up fancy?? Is it mandatory??

No, it is not. Though it seems you can get away with almost anything, a clean shirt (not a t-shirt) and clean pants (without any holes & not shorts) is acceptable.

Maybe this will help from my experience.

Alaska. The most casual cruise I have ever been on

Hawaii. Nice sundresses even on formal night. Many men in fancy Hawaiian shirts n slacks

Europe. Very formal both men and women

Caribbean. Usually see a little of everything. Nice sun dresses , black slacks pretty tops , business type suits to pretty skirts and you might even see a real formal type gown. Although occasional tux for men I have noticed most men wearing a sport coat,suit jacket or even nice shirt and tie. Not as formal as it used to be.

Short 4 days. Aww never need to dress up.

Again this is just just what I have observed. If you don't want to dress you can go to other with out dressing up.

So to answer the question you do not need to be formal just dressy in the MTD. And if you want real casual you will have plenty of other options . Enjoy your cruise

Just an alternate view. Formal nights give you an opportunity to dress to the nines. As a guy I could care less but the ladies really like those two nights out of the whole year to dress and see their guys dresses up. For those nights the pace is different, people get more pictures and for those eight hours the world is a little different. Play James Bond for the night and dance a little, gamble a little and most defiantly stroll with your lady I the moonlight. Romantic- yep but The tradition it is a part of cruising. Cost of dressing up a hundred bucks high end, rewards for going the extra mile- priceless!

Love this! Romance is a wonderful thing and my husband is well aware that setting the scene and creating the romance is much appreciated. It makes the evening that much more special.

You'll have a wonderful trip!! In regards to the rules governing dress in the MDR they are very simple & unambiguous. There are no rules.

On our spectacular Oasis January cruise I actually wore shorts & a t-shirt to formal night. Two primary reasons here, one, I didn't even realize that it was formal night. Every night on this floating city is the same to me. Secondly, living in Arizona I truly don't know if I even own pants anymore. Haven't worn them in at least a decade!!

In any event, relax, enjoy, & just be yourself. The Oasis is a magnificent vessel that will offer-up a lifetime of fond memories. Bon Voyage!!

Be Well,

fmhealth

You'll have a wonderful trip!! In regards to the rules governing dress in the MDR they are very simple & unambiguous. There are no rules.

On our spectacular Oasis January cruise I actually wore shorts & a t-shirt to formal night. Two primary reasons here, one, I didn't even realize that it was formal night. Every night on this floating city is the same to me. Secondly, living in Arizona I truly don't know if I even own pants anymore. Haven't worn them in at least a decade!!

In any event, relax, enjoy, & just be yourself. The Oasis is a magnificent vessel that will offer-up a lifetime of fond memories. Bon Voyage!!

Be Well,

fmhealth

Great, next you'll claim you don't own a black car either. :)