Packing Tips

id4elizabeth

So, I've started to pack and know I'm forgetting something that would be really great to have along that would never occur to me. If you have any unusual thing you'd never leave home without, post here.

My one thing is duct tape. Comes in so handy for any number of things from repairing ripped suitcases that the airline has clearly taken such good care of, to taping up a ripped trouser hem.

My DH'S thing is a box cutter/knife/all purpose tool. Helpful when cutting the duct tape. Just make sure you don't try to take it onboard in your carry-on!

What's yours?

Spare batteries for anything that consumes them. It's always better to bring 1 or 2 of each that your devices need as opposed to buying a 4 pack of outrageously priced batteries when you only need 1.

Also, memory cards for cameras, and extras if you tend to take a lot of photos and have no way to download them during the trip.

And for all your electronics, the proper charging cable and plug. Nothing shuts down your fun quicker thank having a device, camera, headphones, iPad, etc., and no way to charge it up after you leave home. Anyone have a new 'vacation' camera because of this slip up?

One tip I saw here on CC for romance was battery operated tea candles. Since real candles aren't allowed in your cabin, these little gems are sure to be a hit with your partner when you don't want to have cabin lights on while enjoying each other's company and a glass of wine.

Like the battery operated tea candles idea.

2 gallon ziplock bags - you can separate clothes into categories, roll them up inside the bags, expel the air from them before zipping them closed, and label each. Makes it easier pre and post cruise in hotels so you know exactly where everything is without having to unpack. And keeps clothing wrinkles down.

Here's one for the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel -- a mirror! This really works and saves your neck muscles. Also, my guide book for Italy recommends binoculars to get "up close and personal" with frescos and mosaics. (Not really sure how large the ones we get in our stateroom from Viking, but we're taking small opera glasses which are easy to carry.)

We have a hand held suitcase scale that is pretty accurte. Saves you opening your suitcases at the airline check in counter and trying to redistribute the weight.

Also after having lost my luggage last year mix clothes in both bags and bring a change of clothes in your carry on.

Rectangular clothes folders in 2 sizes as I don't like rolling my clothes - they are great for tops and shirts to keep wrinkle-free and also fasten with velcro to compress clothes into a neat 'block' for packing.

We went on an 8 day bus tour of Britain followed by an 18 day tour of Europe and these folders were invaluable. I bought them at an outdoor/ backpacker store here in New Zealand.

1244_strobe_green_l.jpg.8e356554312ae3cc5773d7da73020e21.jpg

Great tips!

I always take a little wrist wrap (made for small cell phones, but works perfectly) and a little, lightweight, goes with everything "necklace" made of a tiny fabric envelope and cords to hold my room "key." I go in and out of my room a lot, and that, plus having to take the card in and out every time I board or leave the ship, became a pain in the butt.

I make up a tiny bag of stuff to take on the plane in my purse for overnight flights - tiny thing of toothpaste, travel toothbrush, mask, earplugs, glasses case, pills, etc.

This year I'm trying to rely more on the electronic stuff and less on the paper stuff. I've got a tiny MP3 player I've had for years and I'm downloading Rick Steves' vaporetto guide so I can listen to his vaporetto tour while on the canals. I've also finally gotten a smartphone that works in Europe, so I'm hoping to download some apps on there that will help or amuse me. (Anyone have suggestions?)

Pukeolive - I am interested in knowing more about the clothes folder. Do you have a brand that I can google here in the states? Do you find that it is an economical space design as well as non-wrinkle alternative?

And yes, great tips - thanks for initiating Elizabeth!

Edited by Vineyard View

Eagle Creek (pack it system) and Sea to Summit are two brand that are available on Amazon. I had two on my last trip and used the smaller for women's shirts/tops and fitted about 10-12 both long and shortsleeved. The larger I used for jeans and long pants. They are great because they compress the clothes compactly.

I also love the Eagle Creek packing systems. I have the packing folders for shirts and one for pants as well. (they can be used for either). The packing folders really do help prevent wrinkling as they keep the items from shifting in the suitcase. I am a fan of the rolling method, but this is better for many items. I also have the packing cubes and bags for undies and socks, stuff like that. That way, when I get to a ship, hotel or rental home, I can easily unpack by just putting the cube or bag with my belongings or his into the appropriate drawer. Saves my last nerve as well w/o him asking me daily where his "whatever" is. :p It's a bit late to buy these online, but many travel stores would have them if you live in a large city. I get mine from Sierra Trading Post, which often has them at a great discount.

I'm also a big fan of the Go Toobs. They are great if you prefer your own shampoo, conditioner and/or body wash. They simply will not leak. They come in 2 or 3 oz, so can also be put in carryon.

I also take a mini-pharmacy kit. It has Advil, Pepto, Imodium, a multi-symptom cold/cough relief, lozenges, and a generic allergy med. Also bandaids and Neosporin. We found out in Eastern Europe that we couldn't get so much as aspirin in a grocery store or convenience store; we had to find a pharmacy. So, we will at least start out prepared. :rolleyes:

Becki

Ext cord, 220v with power strip and nylon mesh/net shoe or shower bag/organizer for bathroom. You can roll and pack clothes in sweater bags too - see through, water repellent, in case your bags get rained on, your clothes are protected from whatever grunge has been in the drawers before you. Sweater bags are cheaper and easier to find than packing cubes.

Edited by Logistigr8r

Also - a packet of small magnets. I don't know about the walls on Viking Star, but on all the Oceania ships the walls are metal (even though they look like wood) and these magnets are useful for hanging up excursion info, dinner reservations and other reminders so you don't have to clutter up the desk/dressing table. And a few index cards to write down stateroom numbers of people you're on tour with and/or might need to contact while on board.

Another couple of suggestions:

"Postit" notes - at least that's what we call them in Aus - to stick reminders on walls/mirrors etc. if the walls aren't metal.

Also stretchy pegless clotheslines - at least 2 for use in the bathroom to hang small items washed in the cabin.

Because of the length of many of the tours, it's good idea to always take a roll of toilet paper in your day pack as it's handy for a lot of things, including the obvious, together with a small bottle of hand sanitiser, for use before meals etc. when wash rooms are unavailable.

I always take a pair of rubber thongs (flip flops to non Aussies) to wear to/from the pool and other places e.g. the spa, where picking up tinea pedis/athlete's foot is a possibility.

In addition to the clothsline(and there should be a pull - out one in the shower on the Viking ships), I take some clips to hang some hand laundry that I might want/need to do during tje course of the cruise. They are small and plastic - coated, so no worries about rust on clothes.

Becki

If you've mostly cruised on river ships not ocean liners, you may be surprised by how much colder and windier it can get out to sea, for example, after sailaway as you approach open sea, even if land temperature is decent. Take a warm jacket or at least something heavy to layer. Of course, I'm looking at that 360 degree deck and thinking that may not be needed quite so much - good move, Viking. Us photographers and ocean lovers, who are not content to look at things from inside the ship, thank you!

This is overkill, but at least it doesn't weigh much: In China, I took a 3 foot ribbon to place across the water faucet in hotels to remind me I needed to use bottled water. It sounds like Istanbul's water is not safe to drink, even in hotels. Therefore, I may just do the same for the hotel there.

Roothy,

I read on the ports board that it's not that the water is not safe (although one person debated that), it's that the water doesn't taste good. Even Rick Steves said bottled water is cheap and plentiful, so buy it and drink it, even brush teeth with it. So, I'm not gonna leave myself open to debate about the safety of the water, especially as we will be beginning our cruise there. Bottled water it is! ;) :D

Becki

Like many folks, I culled through oodles of these packing lists before our river cruise last year to get ideas which would work for us. Unlike a lot of folks, I also did a "review" of each item in my packing list *after* the trip to explain what worked and why.

I split the "post-trip" packing review into two sections--one for electronic/comfort items and one for clothing/shoes. Maybe this will help others:

Packing List, What worked--what didn't. Part 1

Packing List, what worked--what didn't. Part 2

Also, since I was so darned chilly last year, I'm adding merino wool leggings (thin enough to be worn under my slacks) and a undies/tank made of the same material to wear up top under my blouses. I *love* merino wool--it's lightweight, never itches and I prize it for it's "no stinkum" attributes (I wear one for running in all summer and this feature is key!). (Note: I *do* wash my woolie undies frequently though, no worries if I'm sitting next to you at open seating--I promise!)

A first aid kit: Small spray bottle of peroxide...neosporin....bandage tape for 2x2 or 4x4's. .....bandaids. Going to the ships doctor is not free so be prepared for non life threatening cuts and abrasions. Clorox wipes and "shout" wipes for stains on clothes. Hand wipes are good when not near a sink.