Just off Caribbean Princess - My booze package experience

I'm on my iPhone and can't quote and then remove a large portion of the quote so I'll do it this way...

BeachinBeauty said:

To be honest, I noticed many of the staff members had an unaccomodating attitude that I think needs to be adjusted with proper training.

We felt the exact same way and your words said it better than I ever could. Some of our fellow passengers were calling the crew 'surly'. I wouldn't go quite that far but they definitely were not as friendly and welcoming and hospitable as they have been on most (not all) of our former Princess cruises. I always hesitate to mention this sort of thing on CC, because it's always vehemently denied by others on the same cruise and those denials are accompanied by a lecture on 'the crew is wonderful if they are just treated with respect'. Uh, no. That is not always the case and it was not the case on the Caribbean Princess in February-early March. While we had good service from our dinner wait staff and our cabin steward, and certainly a handful of other waiters and bar waiters were stand outs, there were too many unaccommodating attitudes on the part of many on the crew.

Thank you for acknowledging this. The person I was traveling with often overlooks this type of behavior, so every time I mentioned being slighted by staff, she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. Some people genuinely just do not notice.

We had a terrible experience with a bartender on embarkation day. Never went to a pool bar again. The attendant at Horizon Court wins the award for employee most in need of corrective training. Also, a lady in guest services was not very accommodating. Our wait staff in dining rooms, as well as our room steward were fabulous!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Also, a lady in guest services was not very accommodating.

I know exactly who you are talking about. Each time I had to go to the Passenger Services desk, I would silently pray "Please not her! Please not her!" Worked each time except one.

Did you make your displeasure known to anyone onboard?

No, I did not. I was so busy with all of the activities and events that I never even thought to take the time to stop and say anything. Mainly, my complaint was with the buffet attendant more than anyone. But, I'm not a big "complainer." I usually just let things slide. Maybe I should consider contacting someone just to give them a guest's perspective. I definitely don't want to cost someone their job. I feel that particular employee could be a real asset to them, just in another way, or with more training in the same job capacity. She'd be excellent at enforcing the no saving of seats policy that is supposed to be implemented at the pools and Princess theater.

No, I did not. I was so busy with all of the activities and events that I never even thought to take the time to stop and say anything. Mainly, my complaint was with the buffet attendant more than anyone. But, I'm not a big "complainer." I usually just let things slide. Maybe I should consider contacting someone just to give them a guest's perspective. I definitely don't want to cost someone their job. I feel that particular employee could be a real asset to them, just in another way, or with more training in the same job capacity. She'd be excellent at enforcing the no saving of seats policy that is supposed to be implemented at the pools and Princess theater.

How else can they improve if nobody says anything and justs lets it slide?

If the crew member gets terminated I am sure its a track record and not one complaint. They know what their jobs are and how they are supposed to perform.

I just feel saying something onboard is much better then waiting until one arrives back home.

How else can they improve if nobody says anything and justs lets it slide?

If the crew member gets terminated I am sure its a track record and not one complaint. They know what their jobs are and how they are supposed to perform.

I just feel saying something onboard is much better then waiting until one arrives back home.

You're absolutely right! I dropped the ball on that. I have no doubt the situation would've been handled if I'd said anything promptly and onboard.

We were on the Crown over Christmas and also purchased the all-inclusive drink package. Bar service was good with the exception of pool service, this was non existent. We are off to the Coral on Sunday and hoping our experience is better pool side. We won't be purchasing the AI as this is a 15 day cruise and we would never get our $$$ out of it.

We've been on CB 3 times as well as other Princess ships and never had an issue with the bar staff weather we had the drink package or not. I will tell you that once we find our bar(s) of choice we do hook the bartenders up from the start. They are very appreciative and always keep an eye out for us. its amazing what 10 or 20 bucks will do to Improve your bar experience! :D

We've been on CB 3 times as well as other Princess ships and never had an issue with the bar staff weather we had the drink package or not. I will tell you that once we find our bar(s) of choice we do hook the bartenders up from the start. They are very appreciative and always keep an eye out for us. its amazing what 10 or 20 bucks will do to Improve your bar experience! :D

You're right about that. When they weren't swamped, they would see us coming from across the deck & have our drink ready in a matter of minutes.

They'll also remember you from previous cruises & give extra special service.

So much for putting an additional tips in the pool. :rolleyes:

Bar Service was good on our last cruise. When the bar was jammed and a lot of people ordering frozen drinks which take time and only 3 bartenders some people were upset at the time it was taking to get a drink. you have to open your eyes and see whats going on as these bartenders never stopped, they weren't goofing off. They are making drinks for the pool servers that are trying to get drinks back to people at a reasonable time plus demanding people at the bar. It was nonstop with collage kids and there drink packages.

WOW! If carnival is better, it must have been Incredibly bad.

IMHO both lines have their strengths, I have been a frequent passenger on both (and others) and think Carnival has better buffet selection of food and can be more fun, , and Princess has nicer passengers, friendlier crew and a quieter atmosphere generally.

Just horses for courses.

IMHO both lines have their strengths, I have been a frequent passenger on both (and others) and think Carnival has better buffet selection of food and can be more fun, , and Princess has nicer passengers, friendlier crew and a quieter atmosphere generally.

Just horses for courses.

Thanks for that. I'll never understand the Carnival angst. I've cruised both. Both are great. For relaxing girls' trips, I'd choose Princess. For family fun, Carnival. Neither company are sharing their profits with me, so I do not feel the need to express devoted loyalty to either one. Each one has strengths and weaknesses. Like, you said courses for horses.

For instance, you mentioned nicer passengers on Princess. I was on the ship thirty minutes and thought, wow, I was expecting so much more from Princess cruisers. It could have had to do with it having been a shorter, spring break cruise that was offered at a discounted rate, though.

For instance, you mentioned nicer passengers on Princess. I was on the ship thirty minutes and thought, wow, I was expecting so much more from Princess cruisers. It could have had to do with it having been a shorter, spring break cruise that was offered at a discounted rate, though.

The shorter cruise definately had something to do with it. While there were a lot of Elite, Platinum, etc, there was a higher ratio of "blue cards". Not saying that blue cards are bad (we were all one at one point), but these cruisers never experienced Princess before. Kind of made for a different environment.

I know exactly who you are talking about. Each time I had to go to the Passenger Services desk, I would silently pray "Please not her! Please not her!" Worked each time except one.

Remember her name? We go in 8 days and will make sure not to deal with her if possible. Of course I have no problem highlighting a problem person either.

Remember her name? We go in 8 days and will make sure not to deal with her if possible. Of course I have no problem highlighting a problem person either.

I don't remember her name, but she is a shorter (5-ish feet tall) woman with long black or dark brown hair.

The shorter cruise definately had something to do with it. While there were a lot of Elite, Platinum, etc, there was a higher ratio of "blue cards". Not saying that blue cards are bad (we were all one at one point), but these cruisers never experienced Princess before. Kind of made for a different environment.

I would guess it was the spring break and shorter cruise. I remember sailing as a blue card sailing to Alaska in 2011 and being so very pleased with the passengers and crew. Everything just seemed so nice and the people were all so pleasant. It was nothing like the first (and last!) cruise some other people we know experienced. Their first cruise was Caribbean during Spring Break. They will never cruise again.

The first time DH had the package, occasionally we would both order drinks and produce both cards. I didn't have the package (don't drink more than one a day, if that much) and expected to be charged for my drink. Not once did they charge me. On the next cruise, I would go out of my way to order my drink separately.

If they make it compulsory for the entire cabin to get the package, we'd never get the package again because it would be a waste of money for me to have it. We like knowing how much DH's alcohol is going to cost us ahead of time.

I respectfully suggest he keeps a tally of what he enjoys so accurate price calculations can be made, and On Board Credit organised for the time (hopefully NEVER! when everyone in a cabin must purchase the package! I am costing my drinks, using a spreadsheet another kind cruiser did here on Cruise Critic, have been advised Mocktails have increased in price, and know to allow extra as I'm in Australia working from US prices. I've even planned to get some soda for the stateroom, and grab some cookies so I can have a snack should I be wakeful in the early hours-plenty of useful hints and tips on Cruise Critic, I've personally learned LOTS and am well aware of possible pitfalls and opportunities like on board sales to S-T-R-E-T-C-H my cruising $$$ further!

I've found each poster has something to say that gets me thinking-they might not directly have the information I'm looking for, but some, who's names I have embarrassingly forgotten, have a REAL talent for passing information that inspires me to catch a problem BEFORE I get into trouble!

Crochetcruise :cool:

The shorter cruise definitely had something to do with it. While there were a lot of Elite, Platinum, etc, there was a higher ratio of "blue cards". Not saying that blue cards are bad (we were all one at one point), but these cruisers never experienced Princess before. Kind of made for a different environment.

Yes, it did. There were only 93 of us Elite aboard, (out of over 3,000) and I saw more blue cards (and blue cabin namecards) than I have ever seen on Princess. Obviously due to the timing. While I didn't encounter any rude staff, (and only one incompetent waiter) I did notice that bar service was slower, while the bar staff hustled. Our cabin steward was one of the best, and our dining room staff excellent (ATD).

As usual, we gave extra tips and several outstanding service cards. A great cruise, as always.

We were on the 3/30 sailing for Caribbean Princess and had no problems at all with bar service, either by the pool, especially at Tradewinds or Blackbeards....Explorers was slow, Roger was not excellent or Mr Johnny on the Spot (slow, but made good drinks, and often, even at cocktail hour or during Fresh Power's sets, the only ly bartender behind the bar) but he got the job done.- it was an understaffed by, definitely. Instead, we enjoyed the Crooners Martini Bar before or after dinner with Tatiana and Christopher, who were amazing - quick, friendly and entertaining. We both had the UBP, for what it's worth, and had no problems at all.

We are not fans of anytime dining, no matter what length the cruise is, so enjoyed excellent dining room service from Dinesh and Rajiv into Coral for 5:30 seating (large family group with some youngsters). We ate in the

buffet for lunch daily and have no idea who you are talking about there as being unfriendly or whatnot. The ladies manning the entrances were kind and friendly to us - besides, how friendly does one need to be to hand over a plate and utensils? They all had a smile and warned about the plate being hot, which it was....job well done in my book. The wait staff was timely in cleaning tables and bringing water - which was easy enough to get ourselves anyways.

We thoroughly enjoyed our sailing, and happy we tried a 5 nighter. Probably won't do it again as it's simply too short for us with what it takes to get to the ship.

We stayed onboard for the 7-night sailing and disembarked today. A marked, marked difference in crowds, amount of folks at the bar, nationalities of guests a d age make-up. Many more young children (under 18) and many more over 70. A lot less Americans and many more UK, of which a large portion is doing a back-to-back...Which also makes for different behaviours on par than those on a quick 5-night holiday.

Sorry your experience was less than enjoyable, we had a greatness, and for many in our family, it was their first cruise - and several booked a future cruise while onboard as they enjoyed it so much. Always interesting to me how experiences vary so greatly while on the same trips...

Enjoy your future sailings, wherever they may be.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets hope its not over before the 23rd of May!! Would you say the price of the package was definitely better value than buying at the bar. Also did the package price include the 15% surcharge. Would be grateful for info. Thanks

Lets hope its not over before the 23rd of May!! Would you say the price of the package was definitely better value than buying at the bar. Also did the package price include the 15% surcharge. Would be grateful for info. Thanks

Bar package price does include the 15% charge. No idea if the value would be better or not - seems to be a personal decision on how much one plans to drink.

Package price ($49us) does NOT include the 15% gratuity. That is added at the time of purchase, which brings it up to $56.25us per day.....Better value over paying as you go is completely subjective and depends greatly on your drinking habits, itinerary, etc...

Package price ($49us) does NOT include the 15% gratuity. That is added at the time of purchase, which brings it up to $56.25us per day.....Better value over paying as you go is completely subjective and depends greatly on your drinking habits, itinerary, etc...

That's what I mean but forgot to say that the final price when bought included the gratuity.