Grand Princess A417 *warning*

papalance

Just returned from Hawaii and had worst experience with staff. Most of the sea days were very rough and our room apparently was under a pool that kept emptying itself and the waves would "slap" hard right by my head at 1am every night, actually it was more like a sonic boom! Night Manager wouldn't grant request to be moved. We begged them to empty pool so we could get some sleep.

Did you really expect them to empty the pool for the rest of the cruise just so you could sleep? What about the passengers that might want to use the pool?

Did you really expect them to empty the pool for the rest of the cruise just so you could sleep? What about the passengers that might want to use the pool?

I did a Hawaii RT years ago on Celebrity. The seas were fairly rough, so the pools were emptied at night, and refilled on the days it was safe to do so.

OP-I feel your pain and am sorry you didn't know not to book that cabin. Out of all the Princess ships, it seems to me that the Grand has the most noise issues. It's like the insulating or the planning are just all wrong.

One time on the Grand, we had an aft Vista Suite (E-733). The noise in the Vista Lounge below was entirely expected and it usually ended by 10:15pm. The noise the ship made in rough seas and high winds was not expected. It was like living in a house of horrors with all the creaking, moaning and groaning. Our son, who knew nothing about seasickness, was very, very seasick for two nights. Lesson learned - avoid aft cabins on Princess.

Another time on the Grand, we had the Grand Suite (L-302). Wow, was it noisy! There was a lot of movement too, but that high up and forward, we expected it, especially after our E-733 experience.

The noise is what was surprising. BOOM - BOOM - BOOM! Pause, back to the normal creaking sounds, then BOOM - BOOM - BOOM! It was then that we realized the jogging track was directly above our cabin, the most expensive suite on the ship. What poor planning by the shipbuilders who obviously realized their mistake as the sisters to the Grand were built with a different configuration.

We eventually got used to it and it only happened during the daytime. It was our problem for booking that cabin and so we lived with it in BOTH cases. Two lessons learned.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Usually when it is as rough as the poster describes, the pools

are netted-off, to prevent access anyway.

If OP comes back and tells us that the pool was closed, then that would change things.

I was on the same cruise and feel the pools SHOULD have been closed on a few of the days - they simply weren't safe (in my opinion) and I was shocked to see so many young kids playing in them without adult supervision! The outdoor pool was closed twice during the 15 days, but both times we were told by a crew member it was for cleaning, not for safety. The indoor pool was only closed once - it was drained and refilled, so I assume also for cleaning!

I was on the same cruise and feel the pools SHOULD have been closed on a few of the days - they simply weren't safe (in my opinion) and I was shocked to see so many young kids playing in them without adult supervision! The outdoor pool was closed twice during the 15 days, but both times we were told by a crew member it was for cleaning, not for safety. The indoor pool was only closed once - it was drained and refilled, so I assume also for cleaning!

Thats the best time!

Thank you for making my point. The pools were safe in the opinion of the captain and crew and were being used by passengers. IOW, OP wanted to close the pool for their personal comfort and convenience regardless of the effect on other passengers.

Thank you for making my point. The pools were safe in the opinion of the captain and crew and were being used by passengers. IOW, OP wanted to close the pool for their personal comfort and convenience regardless of the effect on other passengers.

Your point? The pools are usually closed at night, anyway.

I really enjoy the posts here -- 'My cabin was too noisy to sleep"

-- you should do something else, and take a nap later.

We have been on 5 great Princess cruises and have another one booked,but we flew to Hawaii and cruised around the islands on NCL because I knew I would get motion sickness crossing the Pacific (and DH would have been stir crazy with so many sea days). As long as you avoid the MDR with specialties or the buffet, it will be fine. Having an NCL suite is also great as you can eat in a small dining room for breakfast and lunch and have other perks.

Each person has their own opinion about a Hawaii cruise. Please do not interpret my opinion as "fact" or "fault". I have done the NCL cruise and 3 Pacific crossings on Princess. There is no comparison. I love the sea days. NCL has the very best itinerary and is more like a floating hotel with very few ship board activities since most people are off the ship during port days.

I enjoy being pampered on a cruise and NCL (America) just doesn't hold a candle to foreign stewards, wait staff, etc.

NCL, in the long run, will cost you a lot more than a cruise over and back, if you factor in the air fare and at least one night's accommodation at a hotel/food. since flying in the same day is pretty risky.

Just got back, on the Grand. The voyage before and after us had some rough sea days. I thought our crossing was pretty mild. You never can predict sea conditions.

Displaced Local Girl

Even in the CArribean, under the pool deck is a big mistake... we did that booking a mini suite years ago, every morning around 3:30 or 4:00 am, it sounded like some one was rolling a cannon across the deck above us. Complained... Customer Service acted like t hey did not know what we were talking about... realized the crew was cleaning up there... normal routine. Live and learn... we have all been there.

Rolling canons, that's exactly how it sounds. We had a Penthouse suite below the ping pong table on the Lido. Every morning around 7am I was awaken by the sounds of rolling canons. Probably won't do that again.

Edited by chloe45
Misstatement

Let me clarify...They acknowledged our problem when the Engineer came to listen for himself! We were told that's what they would have to do to solve the problem (and it was a huge problem) and then they would refill it next morning. They had to refill it because it was necessary for balancing the ship...not because it was safe. We had quite the discussion about the safety issues!

OP-I feel your pain and am sorry you didn't know not to book that cabin. Out of all the Princess ships, it seems to me that the Grand has the most noise issues. It's like the insulating or the planning are just all wrong.

One time on the Grand, we had an aft Vista Suite (E-733). The noise in the Vista Lounge below was entirely expected and it usually ended by 10:15pm. The noise the ship made in rough seas and high winds was not expected. It was like living in a house of horrors with all the creaking, moaning and groaning. Our son, who knew nothing about seasickness, was very, very seasick for two nights. Lesson learned - avoid aft cabins on Princess.

Another time on the Grand, we had the Grand Suite (L-302). Wow, was it noisy! There was a lot of movement too, but that high up and forward, we expected it, especially after our E-733 experience.

The noise is what was surprising. BOOM - BOOM - BOOM! Pause, back to the normal creaking sounds, then BOOM - BOOM - BOOM! It was then that we realized the jogging track was directly above our cabin, the most expensive suite on the ship. What poor planning by the shipbuilders who obviously realized their mistake as the sisters to the Grand were built with a different configuration.

We eventually got used to it and it only happened during the daytime. It was our problem for booking that cabin and so we lived with it in BOTH cases. Two lessons learned.

My only goal with this post was to help others be aware of this particular room. Noise doesn't bother us and we are used to cruise ship noise, but this wasn't normal noise! It shook the walls, mirrors, and lamps apart! We were genuinely scared the first time it happened okay!!!

I learned some hard lessons. First, I read that this was an old ship and I didn't listen when warned by many other previous passengers to stay away. Second, I now know that I won't give my money to Princess again. I don't care who you are...you don't avoid your guests problems and concerns and then give them lame excuses because you know you won't do anything to change it anyway. Be professional!