Balcony Dinner or Chef's Table?

simonmary

I'm thinking it would be too chilly outside in Alaska to be comfortable doing the balcony dinner. And, while they'll move the set-up to inside the cabin in inclement weather, the thought of dining in a bedroom isn't terribly appealing. So, for those reasons, I'd go with the Chef's Table this cruise and save the balcony dinner for a warm-weather itinerary.

Both were enjoyable...the UBD is a quieter more intimate experience & the CT is a group event with free flowing wine.

Both have a lot of food, drink & great service and I've enjoyed each one 4 times but I now prefer the relaxed UBD.

I'm thinking it would be too chilly outside in Alaska to be comfortable doing the balcony dinner. And, while they'll move the set-up to inside the cabin in inclement weather, the thought of dining in a bedroom isn't terribly appealing. So, for those reasons, I'd go with the Chef's Table this cruise and save the balcony dinner for a warm-weather itinerary.

I feel the same way that in Alaska the weather is a bigger factor than which one I prefer.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I recommend trying the Chef's Table at least once. We have done it three times. We've also done the Ultimate Balcony Dinner three times. I haven't done the Chef's Table since the price went up. I think it's still worth the money for a first-timer, but we don't need another copy of the cookbook, though, or another photo of us with a table full of strangers. I think if we sailed with another couple, we'd try to do it again.

Check what the temperatures are going to be and pick a early ubd if the weather looks good and do a chefs table we have done both on several cruises and its worth it. I would leave a day or 2 in between the dinners. If i had to choose and the weather was warm enough I would go with the balcony dinner because it a nice quite intimate dinner, and the food has always been better then the steakhouse and MDR. We have done the UBD 10 times now and never been disappointed.

Admittedly I haven't done the balcony dinner, but I agree with other posters about the weather and sitting on the bed for dinner doesn't "float my boat". The Chef's Table certainly does tho! I think it's well worth the $95/person.

Edited by Treven

My wife says that she has never felt as pampered as the UBD made her feel. (That's a hint.)

She also said that our next Princess cruise should be scheduled to coincide with our anniversary and to book another UBD.

Have you seen the UBD videos on youtube?

I want to thank you all for your help and input. Never thought about the cold - DH gets cold easily. On the other hand, he is not very social... :)

UBD videos? How does one find them?:confused:

You Tube, there are a bunch.....here is an excellnt one

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Chef's Table...hands down! It will be an incredible meal with several courses, each better than the last, paired with a different wine for each course. You will also get a Princess cookbook, a group photo and ladies get a rose. It's festive and many waiters and head waiters hover near the table to cater to your every whim. You won't regret it.

Great video, thanks! Man, that looked windy. They had to tie down the tablecloth.....

Think we will do the Chef Dinner. Use the UBD if we can't get into that.

The wind is the reason we've had our UBDs during an evening in port or during sailaway. That worked well each time but once we had it inside our balcony cabin due to very cold & windy conditions and we still enjoyed it. :)

Our CTs were also enjoyable but we haven't done it again since increasing from $75/pp to $95/pp (Royal/Regal Lumiere $115/pp.).

Edited by Astro Flyer