Scrapbooking .. How do I start?

familycruzer

I love the thread on scrapbooking and would really like to give it a try with my upcoming cruise. Can someone tell me where to start? I am not the most crafty person in the world so I need all the help I can get. Is there a place to buy a kit so I have a place to start?

I love to scrapbook! To start.... you can find basic supplies and packaged paper sets in Walmart. Michaels has alot more. Michaels even has some books with much of the work done. Then you can move to scrapbooking specialty stores.

My suggestion is to start making pages before your cruise. Family, pet pages, kids etc. Get yourself a scrapbook magazine - Simple Scrapbooks is a good one.

You don't have to be that creative - copy ideas from the magazine, it is ok to do that. My best page ever was copied from a magazine. Here are a few of the basic supplies you need.

A paper cutter - about $17

GOOD small scrapbooking scissors - about $10-15

Scrapbook - acid free - glue stick - $5

Then paper and stickers and other decorating stuff to match your pictures.

Album - I do recomment the big ones, not the 8x11.

Have fun! If you have a few more dollars, you can get a scrapbooking magazine that is all about doing vacation photos.

Also check out the following website

http://store.scrapbook.com/createapage.html

they have a create a page floorplan. This gives you page layout ideas.. where to place pictures, text, embillishment etc.

Also check out some of the scrapbook website galleries. Most have a search function so you can search by place, theme etc or search google for "scrapbook gallery"

Your local craftstore should sell starter kits with an album, stickers, paper etc. Don't forget your local dollar store either, I've started finding a good range of scrapbooking products there.

Frances

If so, they probably offer classes, including a basics class that will explain what kind of tools you will need, how to make everything archive-safe, that kind of thing.

After that, you can take other occasion- and technique-specific classes to broaden your skill base and make pages that are specific to holidays and activities.

Beware, though, it's a fun hobby that can take over your life (and your dining room table)! Depending on what type of product you like, it can be an expensive addiction. Personally, I love paper, so that's not too expensive, but I know folks that are addicted to rubber stamps, and those can get costly. And don't even get me started on the price of albums.....

There are dozens of scrapbooking sites out there and you can get some great ideas for page layouts. I also find some great deals on products on

e-bay.

T

My opinion... Find a Creative Memories Consultant in your area... They are a wealth of knowlege and can give you hands on help face to face. :D

I have been a consultant for almost 7 years and think the best part is helping someone begin and find their own unique style. Its that "Blank Slate" thing!

Email me if you would like help finding a consultant in your area...

Good Luck...

Beth

ellyzma@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would recommend trying to find a local scrapbook store. Not just a craft store but one that specializes in scrapbooking. Scrapbook stores have classes and demos and the personal are usually very product knowledgeable and can explain or demo things right there on the spot. I did a search for Pa scrapbook stores, I'm sure there are more but here is a start

http://www.ckscrapbookevents.com/pa2005/content/?page=PASSES

You will need some basic tools like a 12 inch cutter, a good pair of paper scissors, an adhesive and a journaling pen. I don't recommend kits because much of the stuff in the kits you will never use. You really don't know what you will use until you develop your own personal style. The tools I recommend , you will use no matter what your style develops into.

When I first started I would go to the store with photos in hand and buy only what I needed for that page. Soon I began picking up a few other things that I liked here and there and after a while had a nice supply.

You'll need to learn about acid free and lignin free and photo safe. Once you become comfortable with all the scrapbook jargon you can even shop at home depot for you scrapbook supplies.

Whatever you do, just have fun with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in May I decided that we needed to go on another cruise - only I have yet to tell DH - instead I have learned how to scrapbook and have made him a scrapbook as his Christmas present. (I will have the cruise paid by then)

The scrapbook has now cost $165.00 - but I and the kids and everyone else in town (except DH) have been involved in its creation. I have Christmas items and as we will be on our cruise on Halloween and DH's birthday - have items for that also - then did up pages on the ship and all the ports with pictures and things cut out from magazines. It is amazing the items that one can find in the local scrapbooking stores!!

I love the scrapbook - it is very personal - I am also giving DH the journal that I have been writing in that gives more detail on this new adventure.

I plan on adding to the book once we get back with all softs of different "stuff" I am very uncreative - but I have had a total blast!. Jan

You might try taking a class at Hobby Lobby or other type of craft store or scrapbooking store, everyone seems to have a scrapbook supoly corner, even Target has scrapbooking supplies now.

I find that sometimes the ideas seem to flow especially if I buy my background papers first and go from there. I also save everything from our trips and when I get my photos printed I sort our according to how I want to set up my pages.

Mat and knife, stencils, edged scissors, mat w/edger, are musts haves.

Have fun putting together your books. I never show my pictures till my scrapbook is complete. I gives me the incentive to get it done!;)

• 4 weeks later...

My scrapbooking is for memories for me and my family. I started doing them in 1984 before scrapbooking became the in thing to do.

Some suggestions. If you are scrapbooking to make a keepsake of your trip, I have a few suggestions.

Go now and start to buy any stickers, paper, etc. that might have to do with your trip.

When on your trip, keep all paper goods from all that you do and remember to pick things up too. I mean like match books, napkins, any and all free tourist books about the port and excursions. Then when you get home you can use them with your pictures. In taking pictures, think like a page in a scrapbook. What I mean is even though you might be embarrassed, take a picture of that restaurant and table you sit at. Take a picture of your meal before you eat it, etc.

Also take with you large large zip lock bags that are labelled day 1, day 2, etc. Then put all the things you keep in the appropriate ziplock.

When you get home, I make up the book with a few pages of preparing for the cruise, etc. and then do the cruise Day 1, September 20, 2006- Embarking from Fort Lauderdale, etc. I find it easier and more fun to do my travels in a day by day format.

I think I have more fun doing the scrapbook than the trip!(grin) By doing the book(which can take up to a month or so to complete) I find I have made to fun of the trip last that much longer!!

Enjoy the cruise and enjoy the creating!!!

Pooh

I recently started scrapbooking....sorta. I get overwhelmed in a big craft store where there is an endless selection of paper, accessories and stuff like that. So, I mostly just stick to putting together pages with what I already have and what I collected on the trip. I get a package of cardstock to use as the background and some other colors to go with it. I agree with the people who said to save everything from your trip. I just recently got around to making a scrapbook for a non-cruise trip to Europe that I took over 5 years ago. Thankfully, I still had all of the stuff I had saved and I was able to make a neat book. I like saving the bags from stores and ports and then displaying them on a page. In Europe, I even saved a bunch of soda and water bottle labels from various cities and made a whole page of foreign labels. Those kinds of things mean more to me than the pre-made things from a store. I try to make my own decorations whenever possible. :)

In addition to a scrapbook there are all sorts of ideas out there for altered art. These are short quick projects you can whack out in an evening or take several days. I bought a clean unused paint can from home depot and took memorabilia and photos from our cruise and pasted them collage style around the outside of the can. I tied ribbons all along the handle and on the top I put a 3D cruise line symbol and painted it to look gold. I gave this to my cruse room mate. She works in an office and has it on her desk to keep office supply odds and ends. My next project will be an altered clip board.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never made a scrapbook in my life prior to a couple weeks ago. Its real simple and you just need a few ideas to get the creative juices flowing in your brain. First, take a look on the internet and get some ideas in your head as to what you want the pages to look like. Then you want to take a trip to the scrapbooking section at Michael's. There you'll find ALOT of scrapbooking products there. Of course, you'll need a blank scrapbook to put your stuff in. I picked up some glue, cardstock, a couple of backgrounds in addition to the blank scrapbook. Then you want to gather all of the photos from your cruise and any cruise memorabilia (such as a Carnival Capers). Then you want to plan out how you want to lay out your scrapbook and what story you want to tell.. For me, I did mine in chronological order..from the beginning to the end of the cruise...

I've never made a scrapbook in my life prior to a couple weeks ago. Its real simple and you just need a few ideas to get the creative juices flowing in your brain. First, take a look on the internet and get some ideas in your head as to what you want the pages to look like. Then you want to take a trip to the scrapbooking section at Michael's. There you'll find ALOT of scrapbooking products there. Of course, you'll need a blank scrapbook to put your stuff in. I picked up some glue, cardstock, a couple of backgrounds in addition to the blank scrapbook. Then you want to gather all of the photos from your cruise and any cruise memorabilia (such as a Carnival Capers). Then you want to plan out how you want to lay out your scrapbook and what story you want to tell.. For me, I did mine in chronological order..from the beginning to the end of the cruise...

Archived