$12 Drinks? No thanks!

Ok, so maybe this has been addressed already, but my question is this:

If you pay $55 per Day for Drink Pkg, you would need to consume 5 Drinks per Day to "come ahead", correct?

And while that may be relatively easy to do during Cruising Days, becomes more challenging on Port Days.

Do I have this about right?

And finally, how does RCL control "sharing" of Pkg. If I order a drink at the Bar, how do they control me from ordering another for wife, at another venue?

I don't get the drink package on Royal but I'll get it on Celebrity because they have a better beer selection. I've been ridiculed before for saying this but there's more to the drink package than breaking even. I appreciate not having to sign slips and not watching my bar bill during the cruise and by watching, I don't mean worrying about the balance as much as errors in charging. I'll admit I would have no problem breaking even on a port day but I just like the all inclusiveness of the package. I don't have to break even for it to be worth my while.

Edited by Big_G

I don't get the drink package on Royal but I'll get it on Celebrity because they have a better beer selection. I've been ridiculed before for saying this but there's more to the drink package than breaking even. I appreciate not having to sign slips and not watching my bar bill during the cruise and by watching, I don't mean worrying about the balance as much as errors in charging. I'll admit I would have no problem breaking even on a port day but I just like the all inclusiveness of the package. I don't have to break even for it to be worth my while.

Probably sounds crazy as much as Ive fussed about drink prices but I have already decided Im getting the Premium Package next cruise and already know I wont even come CLOSE to breaking even. Being able to pay for it months in advance and not worrying about how many 14.00 a day drinks I might drink a day and watching a bar bill is worth it to me. Plus I like that sodas and bottled water are included.

Probably sounds crazy as much as Ive fussed about drink prices but I have already decided Im getting the Premium Package next cruise and already know I wont even come CLOSE to breaking even. Being able to pay for it months in advance and not worrying about how many 14.00 a day drinks I might drink a day and watching a bar bill is worth it to me. Plus I like that sodas and bottled water are included.

Welcome to the club. :D

What does food have to do with the ship? Comparing the Crystal Serenity to the Oasis of the Seas on a ship versus ship basis is just silly. I am not saying the food is not better on Silverseas than RCI. What does nickel and diming have to do with the ships. Now if you want to say Silverseas provides a better vacation experience, I probably would have nothing to dispute, but Silverseas is not exactly a value bargain. That said, give me any ship with a flowrider, and I will prefer it to Silverseas....

Some people have so many axes to grind that they can convince themselves of any stupid thing, but rarely will they convince anyone else. Just saying. BTW the expos are now called the Nationals....

jc

Speaking for myself , I don't take a ship , I take a cruise . The ship is just a component of a cruise.

Perhaps my favorite cruise was on the crummiest ship , the Fascination, that I got to enjoy with my kids .

You may reduce a cruise to the ship itself . I wouldn't and thought it was understood that

the discussion was about the overall cruise experience ,not just the ship . Enjoy the flowrider .

Edited by richstowe

Speaking for myself , I don't take a ship , I take a cruise . The ship is just a component of a cruise.

Perhaps my favorite cruise was on the crummiest ship , the Fascination, that I got to enjoy with my kids .

You may reduce a cruise to the ship itself . I wouldn't and thought it was understood that

the discussion was about the overall cruise experience ,not just the ship . Enjoy the flowrider .

You jumped into a conversation about whether or not RCI had "world class" ships. When you're talking about a ship; you're talking about a ship. Nobody tried to claim that the entire cruise experience was reduced to the ship itself.

Of course, you are also paying $1500-2000 extra for the same itinerary and same dates and comparable ship (Dream class ~ Freedom class).

Disney's prices are higher, but that's because they have in our opinion far better MDR and buffet food, and much better service.:)

Most things are included in DCL because you are paying $2000+ over the price of a comparable RCCL cruise.

If you need 10 drinks per day, you do have a problem beyond the scope of this thread.

$2000? now you're exaggerating!

Also, your $50 a day figure times a 7 day cruise is $350. Yes that's a big increase!

But, if you buy 10 drinks PER DAY, then the price increase doesn't affect you (other than the increase in gratuity). You would come out better with the drink package deal, whether the average individual drink price is $8 or $12, and you'd likely pay about $400 for the package for a 7 night cruise either way. :cool:

And exactly what do you think RCL will do when the larger drinker go with drink pkges., and the small drinkers stop drinking?

They'll raise the prices of the drink pkges.!:eek:

You jumped into a conversation about whether or not RCI had "world class" ships. When you're talking about a ship; you're talking about a ship. Nobody tried to claim that the entire cruise experience was reduced to the ship itself.

Thanks, Paul.

jc

And exactly what do you think RCL will do when the larger drinker go with drink pkges., and the small drinkers stop drinking?

They'll raise the prices of the drink pkges.!:eek:

Actually, it seems like Step 1 will be to increase the standard gratuity on both the packages and individual drinks. Step 2 will be to increase the pricing on individual drinks. Maybe Step 3 will be increasing the package prices...

When you're talking about a ship; you're talking about a ship.

And I still say that Royal Caribbean ships are not "world class". Best in the mass market industry? Very likely. Best in the world? Highly doubtful. A flowrider, in my opinion, does not make a world class ship. Most people on board including myself cannot or do not even use it.

I believe ryano was referring to the cruise experience, not just the ship, when he posted "First of all, RC ships are FAR from "world class". "World class" ships sail under Regents, Crystal, Oceania, Cunard, Silversea etc."This is the post that xpcdoojk was responding to and so no I was not jumping into a conversation

about whether RC ships were "World class" .

That was my interpretation . You are free to make your own .

Whoa, there are simply no ships that are more world class than RCI. There are no other ships that come close. The only thing that those expensive lines have that RCI doesn't have is world class personal service. You pay the higher prices for unique itineraries and service. Not ship features.

These threads are usually the worst example of CC threads. Pretty much bashathons, where nobody changes anybodies opinion, but think that hyperbole will do the trick. Waste of electrons.

jc

No ships that are more world class than RCL?:D

Whoa, you did mean that as a joke?

As far as ship features go, it all depends on what you're interested in, so its totally subjective! Cruisers will disagree on even which RCL ship best fits their wants, and interests.

And you don't just pay extra for service and itineraries, you can pay extra on the same ship for a larger cabin.

And I still say that Royal Caribbean ships are not "world class". Best in the mass market industry? Very likely. Best in the world? Highly doubtful. A flowrider, in my opinion, does not make a world class ship. Most people on board including myself cannot or do not even use it.

Well, it all depends on what you like. If you value big ships with innovative features, you'll probably think of RC ships as world-class. If you value a more intimate ship with luxury furnishing, then you probably won't think of RC ships as world-class.

$2000? now you're exaggerating!

Also, your $50 a day figure times a 7 day cruise is $350. Yes that's a big increase!

Disney 7 day cruise scheduled for the same departure date as our next 7 day RCI cruise for a standard inside stateroom is $6639. Our RCI price is $3266 for a inside stateroom that includes gratuity. That is a $3,373 dollar difference before you tack on the DCL gratuity.

I believe ryano was referring to the cruise experience, not just the ship, when he posted "First of all, RC ships are FAR from "world class". "World class" ships sail under Regents, Crystal, Oceania, Cunard, Silversea etc."This is the post that xpcdoojk was responding to and so no I was not jumping into a conversation

about whether RC ships were "World class" .

That was my interpretation . You are free to make your own .

Yes, I definitely had a different interpretation. I thought, when he said ships, he meant ships. Interestingly, it spurred me to look a little at some "luxury" lines and compare certain things with RC. I found this incident on Silversea's Silver Shadow interesting:

"On 17 June, 2013, in Skagway, Alaska, the ship failed a surprise inspection conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Crew members had alerted inspectors that supervisors ordered them to store food in their living spaces, not in refrigerators, in order to hide the food from inspectors. The lead inspector ordered contaminated foods be discarded. He personally poured concentrated bleach on the food as it was thrown away to ensure it would not be salvaged and served later."

Now that is world-class!

I just added the bogoho beverage package to our upcoming trip on the Oasis of the Seas. $598 for two people....299 per person for the premium package seems like a good value for me. We have 3 sea days and labadee...so lots of opportunity to get use out of the package.

It would seem you made a wise choice!:D

Well, it all depends on what you like. If you value big ships with innovative features, you'll probably think of RC ships as world-class. If you value a more intimate ship with luxury furnishing, then you probably won't think of RC ships as world-class.

Exactly :) Its all a matter of opinion. I think RC ships are wonderful. Even the older ones. Based on many many pics of other ships from other mass market brands, I think RC ships are the best. To call them "world class" though is a bit of a stretch, again, in my opinion.

I should have never allowed myself into that argument anyway. It has nothing to do at all with the current topic at hand :)

Yes, I definitely had a different interpretation. I thought, when he said ships, he meant ships. Interestingly, it spurred me to look a little at some "luxury" lines and compare certain things with RC. I found this incident on Silversea's Silver Shadow interesting:

"On 17 June, 2013, in Skagway, Alaska, the ship failed a surprise inspection conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Crew members had alerted inspectors that supervisors ordered them to store food in their living spaces, not in refrigerators, in order to hide the food from inspectors. The lead inspector ordered contaminated foods be discarded. He personally poured concentrated bleach on the food as it was thrown away to ensure it would not be salvaged and served later."

Now that is world-class!

Very interesting post!:eek:

Exactly :) Its all a matter of opinion. I think RC ships are wonderful. Even the older ones. Based on many many pics of other ships from other mass market brands, I think RC ships are the best. To call them "world class" though is a bit of a stretch, again, in my opinion.

I should have never allowed myself into that argument anyway. It has nothing to do at all with the current topic at hand :)

If you think they're the best of the world in their category, that should probably qualify as "world-class." But, you are right - it is quite a tangent from the main thread topic.

We all get sucked in from time to time.;)

Edited by Ocean Boy

What other cruise lines exactly? Alcoholic bevs are pricey on every cruise I've stepped onto. $12 + gratuity for a daiquiri or 'rita is not all that bad. DCL has pretty much same pricing $10 coladas (cheapest mixed drink) and $12-14 mixed drinks + auto gratuity. Not sure what pricing were you expecting, but that's on par of what I've seen in the industry.

MSC has a "coupon book" of 12 drinks for $84 (working from memory, so I may not be exactly right). I like this the best as I can use more on sea days, less when off the ship in port. Plus kids sail free.

NCL has free packages from time to time. Not half off second guest, free for all guests. 3/4 pax pricing seems to be a LOT better than RCL as well.

From now on when I book cruises, I'll be tacking on the $700 "drinks" tax when I look at RCL's prices...

Actually, it seems like Step 1 will be to increase the standard gratuity on both the packages and individual drinks. Step 2 will be to increase the pricing on individual drinks. Maybe Step 3 will be increasing the package prices...

...Step 3 just hit on Celebrity. A message in the boards there said the Premium Package is being raised to $65 later this month. Next stop? RCL...

No ships that are more world class than RCL?:D

Whoa, you did mean that as a joke?

As far as ship features go, it all depends on what you're interested in, so its totally subjective! Cruisers will disagree on even which RCL ship best fits their wants, and interests.

And you don't just pay extra for service and itineraries, you can pay extra on the same ship for a larger cabin.

It certainly isn't any ship from Silverseas or Crystal. I don't think the NCL EPIC compares to RCI's Quantum or Oasis. There is simply no comparison. Now the cruise experience on one can be better for any individual, but I gaurantee every cruise ship line would swap their flagship for the Anthem of the Seas in a heartbeat. Silverseas are basically large yachts ranging from 16,000 tons to 36,000 tons. Their expedition fleet are even smaller. The Russian Billionair Roman Abramovich owns the Eclipse which is listed at 13,000 tons, and it is the second largest private yacht.

Is his yacht better equipped than the Quantum of the Seas. Well, it has less motors, no flowrider, no northstar, no sky diving, unless you take the helicopter, Probably doesn' have a giant theatre. Is the food better, I am sure it is. The wine list undoubtedly. If a $12 cocktail freaks you out... then I can only imagine what the charter cost would be....

This is a stupid arquement. Except, there are no ships more advanced or fantastic than RCI's ships. Are they cruises you or I might like more, probably.

But please continue to accuse me of joking... or making it up. Because nobody is buying your arguement anyway.

Kind of like trying to tell a Christian that Jesus isn't real. Everybody has their own opinion and you are not going to change them, but calling them jokesters is always an excellent debate tool...:D:rolleyes:

jc