Who makes up these prices

Shogun

It sure is difficult for me to figure out if Princess knows what they are doing. Their 2016 Europe fares are substantially higher than the competition. Everyone know that they will come down so they either wait to book or they book now and then keep watching the prices so that they can call and get the "sale" price. And if you are new to cruising or less experienced you will be booking with RCCL or Celebrity after seeing the fares and making a comparison.

I'm booked on a Baltic cruise for this July. The final payment date is next week. There are a lot of unsold cabins. If Princess had started with reasonable fares a year ago, maybe most cabins would be sold. Now they will need to give great last minute deals to get these cabins sold.

I am sure that Princess knows what they are doing. They have been doing it for a long time.

They are in business to make money, not to please us other then the cruise experience itself.

I am sure that Princess knows what they are doing. They have been doing it for a long time.

They are in business to make money, not to please us other then the cruise experience itself.

I didn't say they didn't know what they were doing, just that I couldn't figure it out. And no one would stay in business if they weren't out to please their customers. And that goes for more than the cruise experience. They please me. That's why I keep going back.

But, first time cruisers or those looking at Princess for the first time may be turned off by the initially high fares and continuing changing prices shown for Princess cruises.

I didn't say they didn't know what they were doing, just that I couldn't figure it out. And no one would stay in business if they weren't out to please their customers. And that goes for more than the cruise experience. They please me. That's why I keep going back.

But, first time cruisers or those looking at Princess for the first time may be turned off by the initially high fares and continuing changing prices shown for Princess cruises.

I agree with you in that first time cruisers or first time Princess cruisers could be turned off by the higher fares. They may have not read these boards or know anyone who could give them an indication of Princess' pricing policies. Heck, even knowing Princess quite often drops prices, I am still a little shocked at some of the prices I am seeing.

I agree with you in that first time cruisers or first time Princess cruisers could be turned off by the higher fares. They may have not read these boards or know anyone who could give them an indication of Princess' pricing policies. Heck, even knowing Princess quite often drops prices, I am still a little shocked at some of the prices I am seeing.

Well it must be working, they are still selling out.

I'm pretty sure shogun is aware of that thread since he started it. :D

I would imagine some "marketing genius" is behind the pricing and the sales although "marketing" and "genius" don't really seem to me to belong in the same sentence.

Too funny!!!!

It sure is difficult for me to figure out if Princess knows what they are doing. Their 2016 Europe fares are substantially higher than the competition. Everyone know that they will come down so they either wait to book or they book now and then keep watching the prices so that they can call and get the "sale" price. And if you are new to cruising or less experienced you will be booking with RCCL or Celebrity after seeing the fares and making a comparison.

I'm booked on a Baltic cruise for this July. The final payment date is next week. There are a lot of unsold cabins. If Princess had started with reasonable fares a year ago, maybe most cabins would be sold. Now they will need to give great last minute deals to get these cabins sold.

Sometimes the "sale price" is only for NEW bookings, though. I saw it happen to some friends of mine who were new to Princess, booked their cabin, and saw a sale they were denied because it was for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. :(

For this reason alone, one might be inclined to wait to see if the prices comes down.

Edited by iceleven

Sometimes the "sale price" is only for NEW bookings, though. I saw it happen to some friends of mine who were new to Princess, booked their cabin, and saw a sale they were denied because it was for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. :(

For this reason alone, one might be inclined to wait to see if the prices comes down.

I have had to cancel and rebook when Princess wouldn't refare at a sale price for "new bookings only". I lost a deposit once by doing this, but still came out ahead. The risk is that the cabin you had booked, and still want at the new fare, may "disappear" before you can rebook it.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Hi Colo

The point I wanted folks views on was is the Brand Image being damaged by the current pricing policy,

constant sales, big discounts is not want you see with Premium Brands ,

if you look at Seabourn yes sales yes discounts but not at 60, 70 %

these are the types of discounts you see at cheap furniture stores,

yours Shogun

Hi Colo

The point I wanted folks views on was is the Brand Image being damaged by the current pricing policy,

constant sales, big discounts is not want you see with Premium Brands ,

if you look at Seabourn yes sales yes discounts but not at 60, 70 %

these are the types of discounts you see at cheap furniture stores,

yours Shogun

I agree. It seems Princess, among others, has adopted yield-management algorithms as the airlines have. I imagine it boosts profits in the short term, but runs the risk of making cruises a commodity item, to be shopped by price alone, in the long run.

I watch the EU ex UK prices a bit.

what happens with them is they stay high especialy in the US but in the UK they discount(loss of deposits).

(not alot of point discount US and letting people have the drops as airfare climb so fewer booking from low prices.)

the current batch on watch by me are round britians.

These always start out well over £1k in the UK.

Last year the low price was £399(inside only), current prices are £699/£799 balcony. once they are sold I think the insides will drop again.

(US price is still over £1k even with the price drops this week)

Another one, North cape got discounted last year to £499 current price is £699 with 3+ at £99 (inside only Balcony are over £1500)

This years it was £1700 in the Xmas sale!

I just checked 2013(I keep all the cruise emails) sililar trend £1k+ at Xmas 2012 by April discounts(499/699) not as good as last year.

it is clear that if you don't mind which cabin and want an Ex UK cruise Britain/Baltic/Fjords wait till APril/MAy for the deals to pop out.

There are so many round britains this year they can't fill them all at the high prices.

As an experienced cruiser I'm turned off. I won't play that game and book something that I'm not comfortable with the price. I'll find something else. I much prefer Celebrity's pricing strategy of starting low and moving up on demand. They may end up the same but I'm not about to hang around to find out.

And the comment that they sell out. Yes, they may, but at what price? And how many lost passengers to other lines?

And the comment that they sell out. Yes, they may, but at what price? And how many lost passengers to other lines?

I agree. But, are they selling out? I don't know where the poster got that. Maybe for the Caribbean especially after pushing last minute deals. We are only two weeks from the beginning of May. A search of available cruises shows 50 itineraries available in May with most cabin categories left. Maybe May is not the best example, but it appears that most of the cruises only get sold out with a big last minute push and drastically reduced fares.

I agree. But, are they selling out? I don't know where the poster got that. Maybe for the Caribbean especially after pushing last minute deals. We are only two weeks from the beginning of May. A search of available cruises shows 50 itineraries available in May with most cabin categories left. Maybe May is not the best example, but it appears that most of the cruises only get sold out with a big last minute push and drastically reduced fares.

I am not even looking at the Caribbean. I have been looking quite a bit over the last few months. Most I look at are sold out or almost sold out.

Europe etc.

Its no bigger a push now then it has been in the past IMO.

Of course you can find cruise's with availability. To me the prices are up but the cruises still seem to be selling well. They will always have sales closer to sailing.

Do I like the higher pricing, heck no. My upcoming cruises are way more then I have spent in the past.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I am not even looking at the Caribbean. I have been looking quite a bit over the last few months. Most I look at are sold out or almost sold out.

Europe etc.

Its no bigger a push now then it has been in the past IMO.

Of course you can find cruise's with availability. To me the prices are up but the cruises still seem to be selling well. They will always have sales closer to sailing.

Do I like the higher pricing, heck no. My upcoming cruises are way more then I have spent in the past.

You need to check EU and UK pricing for the cruises, Princess discounts them more than US on the ones I am watching.

Pick a dat and I can look at the last 3 years UK pricing history against this years.

[quote name='Shogun']Hi All
Princess offers direct marketing

As to price match after booking through TA can not help fell out with them a few years ago when they wanted certain value regardless of changes made.
Since then Princess has always been best price
Yours Shogun[/QUOTE]

Don't always ASSUME that will always be so.... For me booking with the company direct could be good but maybe not.
My experience is, that over the years, I have found a really good agents who will work FOR me and not only beat the companies best offer, but offer it 5-9% less AND throw in onboard credits, and even appreciation rebates on what I spend with them. Been with them for 20 years and get deals that no line has ever dared to match or even discuss...
There are good agents and bad...you might have to scour the whole of UK and Europe, but they are there.( I live in So Calif and have an agent who is 3000 miles away.) Show your Scottish spirit....
Its like buying a car or house what ever the company tells you is the best deal needs to be negotiated. If they wont walk... No one starts off at rock bottom. Think about it

[quote name='Shogun']Hi
Princess UK changed the way they trade with agents a few years ago ever since not seen an agent beat direct only time is package deals hotel transfer flight
Yours Shogun[/QUOTE]

Just checked Princess website and the price is the same as with the TA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='Shogun']When it comes to what you pay there will be someone who paid more than you and someone who paid less the only thing that matters is are you happy with the price you paid and that you have a great cruise[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Low prices is nice but for us itinerary and location on the ship trump it. There is a reason those sale cabins are vacant

[quote name='Shogun']Hi All

OK we have worked out that there is no logic to the way Princess prices

balcony 698

but for 130 more you can have a window.

or 698 for 15 nights or 1099 for 14 nights

yours Shogun[/QUOTE]

Are there outside cabins on Royal? Thought they were all balconies. Their pricing does seem a little strange. DH is still saying 'no' 😔

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Someone posted yesterday asking cruise date and price of a cruise I got pounds cheaper not going direct with Princess. I did put the details on this morning but had admin remove as I added my email address for someone to contact me.

So the cruise I'm on is 8/8 14 night Barcelona to Athens on Emerald.
3 of us in B4 aft Balcony

Princess price £5897

What I paid £4255

Any further details please ask