bringing on your own drinks?

lahlah57

You CAN order soft drinks from room service 24/7, right?

Can you get ice from your room steward, or is there a place to get ice, or make ice in the minifridge?

(As someone else said, this is like the mythical creature - one question brings 7 more, or whatever it is! By the time I step on board, I won't even have to read the literature, walk around, or ask any questions!)

Edited by roothy123

I was behind a couple where the man was carrying an obvious bag with a bottle of alcohol (not wine). It was taken from him by security and he was offered a proper receipt. He was told anything over 14.5% alcohol can not be brought aboard and consumed.

He strongly objected as there was never a mention about restrictions, which is also the way I remember the situation. On a different posting someone mentions being told a higher threshold. What a mess.

Today, Apr 15th, was the first time we sent packages and bags thru x-ray while coming aboard. Don't know why we were allowed to merely walk aboard previously.

I just sent an email to Viking customer service. I stated I was on the Viking Star and my question was can I bring alcohol on board to be consumed in my room. They answered back that I could bring beverages on board to be consumed in my room.

My husband is concerned about me, but I am just wondering about what their policy really is.

I brought Coke Zero onboard at most ports. I was in a V 2 cabin, and once the initial supply of Diet cokes were depleted, additional were at a charge. At most ports I could find bottles of Coke Zero, which I prefer anyway, and in bottles, so I would buy a few and put in my minifridge. A carafe of water is provided in the cabin morning and evening. Viking's FAQ says wine is ok to bring onboard.

Becki

You can bring soft drinks on boars and any alcohol that is under 15%.

V & DV pay for replenishment in their in-room fridge, or bring on board

PV & up replenishment in in-room fridge soft drinks & alcohol is no charge

I don't know about bottled water on board except that it is handed out free on excursions.

You have to pay for water!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want bottled water (mineral water etc) they charge for it in bars etc. If you just want some water (plain old water) they are not supposed to charge for it. There may be some instances of servers getting things goofed up.

With meals, beer, wine, soda etc are free of charge (just house wines).

Wine has been a confusing issue. Up until now the ship has had a red and white that they pour with meals for free. It can change from day to day. Silver beverage package purchasers have been very irritated because, mostly, that is the only wine anyone has by the glass. Bartenders, though, have been learning what their regular Silvers want and having a bottle or two of that available.

For the last two nights The Restaurant has also offered Silvers a choice in wine. So they seem to be responding to this issue.

I just sent an email to Viking customer service. I stated I was on the Viking Star and my question was can I bring alcohol on board to be consumed in my room. They answered back that I could bring beverages on board to be consumed in my room.

My husband is concerned about me, but I am just wondering about what their policy really is.

I posted about this. The ship has an oral policy (meaning it is not in writing any where I can find) that you cannot bring 16% or greater alcohol on board. THis has not been caught when embarking. But when people have brought alcohol on board from ports of call and it has gone through the Xray machine on board, Security has pulled it and checked the percent alcohol.

I can manage under 15% alcohol and it sounds like I will be going grocery shopping for coke zeros and bottled water in the 1st port....No, I cannot go on the tour I have to go grocery shopping.....REALLY?! Should I also pick up toilet paper too?!:(

Now that you mention it ... they did change the kind of TP several days ago. This new kind with blue printed flowers on it is much scratchier than the nice kind we started off with in Istanbul.

It does do the job though! :)

Either Viking is amazingly responsive or it's kind of a creepy coincidence, or I was not the only one who noticed the TP change. But at least for now, this morning we're back to the plain white soft TP we started with - no more scratchy stuff. Oh the little joys of life!