Automatic Gratuities

Might be a weird question, but is there a way to stop the automatic gratuities from being charged to me on a daily basis?

I've always preferred to tip those that do the most for me, personally.

It's more enjoyable to thank these people, face to face, and hand them something that I know that they get and makes them happy.

It might be a little selfish on my part, but this is the way I've done it for years and is my preference.

It's not about the recommended amounts either. My family usually exceeds those amounts as we've typically gotten service that meets or exceeds expectations. I just want to do it myself and choose specifically who it goes to.

I'm cruising on LOS on 7/2 out of Bayonne with a group of 28 and starting to get very excited!

Thanks in advance.

Might be a weird question, but is there a way to stop the automatic gratuities from being charged to me on a daily basis?

It's more enjoyable to thank these people, face to face, and hand them something that I know that they get and makes them happy.

It might be a little selfish on my part, but this is the way I've done it for years and is my preference.

It's not about the recommended amounts either. My family usually exceeds those amounts as we've typically gotten service that meets or exceeds expectations. I just want to do it myself and choose specifically who it goes to.

I'm cruising on LOS on 7/2 out of Bayonne with a group of 28 and starting to get very excited!

Thanks in advance.

As long as you have not prepaid your gratuities, you can go to Guest Services and request they discontinue automatic gratuities.

Edited by clarea

....the tips you give individually will have to be turned in by the recipients and will become part of the pooled tips. They can be terminated if they fail to do so.

I always do Automatic Gratuities. But this is the first I heard that they will be terminated if they fail to give up the tips people gave them.

So when I tip my bartender an extra dollar on my drinks does that mean they have to put it in a pool ? even if I give that extra dollar in cash ?

...So when I tip my bartender an extra dollar on my drinks does that mean they have to put it in a pool ? even if I give that extra dollar in cash ?

Our experience has been that bartenders put their cash tips in a jar, and bar servers put their cash tips in their pocket.

I always do Automatic Gratuities. But this is the first I heard that they will be terminated if they fail to give up the tips people gave them.

So when I tip my bartender an extra dollar on my drinks does that mean they have to put it in a pool ? even if I give that extra dollar in cash ?

No...the EXTRA tips do not have to be turned in...just the tips that are given directly to those normally in the "tipping pool" such as your cabin steward and dining room waiter. Staff will be advised of those passengers who have opted-out of the auto-gratuity.

Edited by Kwaj girl
Spelling

There is also the question of those who are in the tip pool but with whom you do not interact on a frequent basis. For example, the wait staff in the buffet.

Since you're tipping over an above the recommended (automatic) amounts, you can achieve your objective or directly thanking those who serve you. Just leave the autotips in place, and give the amount you planned to tip over the recommended amounts directly to those who serve. BTW, that also avoids the issue of having to turn in the directly paid amounts.

Edited by RocketMan275

....the tips you give individually will have to be turned in by the recipients and will become part of the pooled tips. They can be terminated if they fail to do so.

That is so not true, like so many other things on here.

I suppose they 'can' be fired for almost anything but Bob's right, I see more and more tip jars. I've also seen supervisors hand off a large tip to a bartender that had been serving me and the bartender pocket the cash. It probably depends on whether they're working alone or not.

Wow!

The part about being terminated is quite shocking to me and that the staff would be advised of an opt out is actually quite disturbing.

This could potentially lead to a different level of service from your cabin steward or waiter and seems a little unethical.

I'll have to rethink my stance on this topic and intend on asking about it after boarding.

Thanks for all the responses.

No...the EXTRA tips do not have to be turned in...just the tips that are given directly to this normally in the "tipping pool" such as your cabin steward and dining room waiter. Staff will be advised of those passengers who have opted-out of the auto-gratuity.

Thanks in advance.

I am with you, I hate the automatic gratuities which only started about 5 years ago on RCCL, but now all the lines have them and I agree with everyone else, best just to keep in place and tip a little extra if you had outstanding service which is what we now do. Have a great cruise

I'm beginning to lean in that direction.

I wasn't looking to rock the boat (no pun intended) but I don't know how they split our pooled gratuities and just preferred the old way.

Thanks for the post

I am with you, I hate the automatic gratuities which only started about 5 years ago on RCCL, but now all the lines have them and I agree with everyone else, best just to keep in place and tip a little extra if you had outstanding service which is what we now do. Have a great cruise

If Kwaj Girl is correct then those who opt out of the tipping in favor of tipping those who actually serve them are actually hurting those they think they are helping. If you withhold tips and then give your waiter $20, the waiter then has to turn it into the "pool" where they probably get less than $10 back. Whereas if you use the provided system and tip a little extra, they would actually receive more.

I don't understand what the purpose would be of the cruise line to let the room steward know who has or has not opted out of gratuities. Maybe after the cruise has taken place, okay. But not during/before. Also, I find it hard to believe that any cash tipping is reported and pooled. (and if not reported, they are fired). Sure, if there is a tip jar out at the bar, then these tips are shared, but not if I tip the bartender individually. Anyway, I think people should do whatever they want regarding tipping. I myself find it easier to just pay the suggested gratuities - prepay or charge to my sign and sail and if I feel like it, give additional tips if and when I see fit to do so. That's just my take.

I don't understand what the purpose would be of the cruise line to let the room steward know who has or has not opted out of gratuities. Maybe after the cruise has taken place, okay. But not during/before. Also, I find it hard to believe that any cash tipping is reported and pooled. (and if not reported, they are fired). Sure, if there is a tip jar out at the bar, then these tips are shared, but not if I tip the bartender individually. Anyway, I think people should do whatever they want regarding tipping. I myself find it easier to just pay the suggested gratuities - prepay or charge to my sign and sail and if I feel like it, give additional tips if and when I see fit to do so. That's just my take.

I read someplace the "method" a cruise line uses for handling tips. The individual gets a tipping report. The cruise line basically "assumes" that everyone gives the person a tip, cash or auto. They than use a formula to calculate the back of house tips that gets removed from the person's pay.

If a person receives "more" than what is expected, they keep it. If they receive less, because a bunch of people stiffed them on tips, than they not only do not get those tips, but they still have tipped backwards.

Either way, cash or not, they split the tips. Since they sign their contract, and the tipping methods are outlined, and the ship manages the splits, it would be hard to be fired since they are not much in control.

If you were an employee, I bet you would like to know that everyone in your section, auto tipped. Than if you think they deserved it, got extra tips in cash.

There is no benefit to the staff or to you, for removing the auto tips.

Depending on what country you are from, the tips, can be a "tip" or "service charge". It's not even very much money when you consider all the work they do for you.