Passports

SAC112750

I've had a passport since 1947 (well the first 2-3 were with me on a family passport), and I cannot imagine traveling any other way. I've been to and through parts of Canada several times since I moved to an EDL state and got one of those, but still carry my passport just in case...

OP: get a passport (book). If you start using premium or luxury cruise lines (or envision doing any kind of international air travel) it will be required for any itinerary.

I've had a passport since 1947 (well the first 2-3 were with me on a family passport), and I cannot imagine traveling any other way. I've been to and through parts of Canada several times since I moved to an EDL state and got one of those, but still carry my passport just in case...

I'm the opposite I guess, all of my travel up until now has been done without a passport so I can't imagine travelling with one:). I live 8 miles from the border and have my EDL (obtained last year primarily for cruising) now but have never had the need to cross the border since the new regulations went into effect.

OP: get a passport (book). If you start using premium or luxury cruise lines (or envision doing any kind of international air travel) it will be required for any itinerary.

Or why not wait until they do start using premium or luxury lines or start doing any kind of international air travel, which could be years for some (or never for many)? It doesn't take that long to get a passport.

Or why not wait until they do start using premium or luxury lines or start doing any kind of international air travel, which could be years for some (or never for many)? It doesn't take that long to get a passport.

I have known people (adults) who have never been more than 50 miles from the place they were born. I have known people who have never left the U.S. and probably never will. They don't need a passport. But I would encourage the Enhanced Drivers License just in case you want to go across to see the Niagara Falls from the Canadian side (much better view). Or visit Tijuana while in San Diego.

However, there are people who do travel. For now maybe it is just a 4-night quickie. Next year a 7-night Western Caribbean. Or a Habitat for Humanity trip to Nepal to aid in reconstruction. And then, who knows... Meanwhile, given that we are talking about travelers, I can see no reason whatsoever to delay getting a passport. If you have one, a) you are not limited as far as where you can go, and b) you don't have to screw around with other forms of ID. If the cost is an issue, all the more reason to get the passport sooner rather than later. Get that expense out of the way, don't wait to do that at the last minute while you are tying to cover other trip costs. And eliminate one possible source of stress by eliminating the last-minute hover by the mailbox wondering if it will get to you in time or if you need to cancel the cruise and what will you do then and will you get a refund etc etc. Maybe you don't have the opportunity or the requirement to use that shiny new passport for another five years. So what? All of my comments about spreading out the costs of traveling and about avoiding unnecessary stress still apply.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

I have known people (adults) who have never been more than 50 miles from the place they were born. I have known people who have never left the U.S. and probably never will. They don't need a passport. But I would encourage the Enhanced Drivers License just in case you want to go across to see the Niagara Falls from the Canadian side (much better view). Or visit Tijuana while in San Diego.

However, there are people who do travel. For now maybe it is just a 4-night quickie. Next year a 7-night Western Caribbean. Or a Habitat for Humanity trip to Nepal to aid in reconstruction. And then, who knows... Meanwhile, given that we are talking about travelers, I can see no reason whatsoever to delay getting a passport. If you have one, a) you are not limited as far as where you can go, and b) you don't have to screw around with other forms of ID. If the cost is an issue, all the more reason to get the passport sooner rather than later. Get that expense out of the way, don't wait to do that at the last minute while you are tying to cover other trip costs. And eliminate one possible source of stress by eliminating the last-minute hover by the mailbox wondering if it will get to you in time or if you need to cancel the cruise and what will you do then and will you get a refund etc etc. Maybe you don't have the opportunity or the requirement to use that shiny new passport for another five years. So what? All of my comments about spreading out the costs of traveling and about avoiding unnecessary stress still apply.

Each person should decide for themselves what documentation to use when travelling. If someone gets a passport now and doesn't use it for five years to your "so what" i say that's 5 years wasted since it's only good for 10. Why not wait until it's needed? Sure, if you are in the position to travel anywhere at the drop of a hat it might be prudent to have the passport at hand but if you have to carefully plan your travel ahead of time having it "just in case" may not make sense.

Pay now or pay later. Later is pretty much always more expensive. Also, passport possession let's folks take advantage of "last minute" and related international travel deals (including Groupons, Jetsetter, et al.) especially if the have enough FF miles to get unlimited "standard award" seats on their preferred air carrier thus negating the higher cost of "close in" ticket purchases.

And then, there are those "no time to plan ahead" events like emergency flights related to family illness abroad, etc.

The list goes on....

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Pay now or pay later. Later is pretty much always more expensive. Also, passport possession let's folks take advantage of "last minute" and related international travel deals (including Groupons, Jetsetter, et al.) especially if the have enough FF miles to get unlimited "standard award" seats on their preferred air carrier thus negating the higher cost of "close in" ticket purchases.

And then, there are those "no time to plan ahead" events like emergency flights related to family illness abroad, etc.

The list goes on....

I paid later and it cost me just as much as it would have 6 years sgo. Some people are fortunate and have the wherewithal to travel at the drop of a hat and some are not as fortunate. Everyone's needs are different and they should plan based on their needs. No more, no less.

... If someone gets a passport now and doesn't use it for five years to your "so what" i say that's 5 years wasted...

I totally agree! Five years with no international travel is five years wasted!:)

IMHO, having a passport in the drawer even if I have no travel plans is like an insurance policy. The need may not arise, but I want to ready to go.

If it's just you its one thing. If you are traveling with your children and stand a chance of being stuck in another country unable to fly because you didn't think you'd need a full passport, that is a very big risk and one I wouldn't be willing to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To travel outside of the USA without a Passport is just foolish. There are too many things that can but not always happen that may cause you to wish you had one. It does not cost an arm and a leg, but it can cost you one if you do not have one. When we travel outside of the USA we appoint one or more to handle any family issues while out of touch. We vacation to get away from the day to day norm. We will not get off a ship somewhere in the world for a sick or dead one to go back home to handle things. Those that were left to handle things are expected to do the same, just like before cell phones and instant communications. I turn my cell phone OFF while cruising or traveling abroad. When I get back anything left that needs handling I will handle. Sorry to be so matter of fact but everyone with a cell phone expects instant results for the nature of the call. Me, I have been over that for the last many years. Bottom line is get a Passport and turn your cell phone OFF while traveling.

To travel outside of the USA without a Passport is just foolish. There are too many things that can but not always happen that may cause you to wish you had one. It does not cost an arm and a leg, but it can cost you one if you do not have one. When we travel outside of the USA we appoint one or more to handle any family issues while out of touch. We vacation to get away from the day to day norm. We will not get off a ship somewhere in the world for a sick or dead one to go back home to handle things. Those that were left to handle things are expected to do the same, just like before cell phones and instant communications. I turn my cell phone OFF while cruising or traveling abroad. When I get back anything left that needs handling I will handle. Sorry to be so matter of fact but everyone with a cell phone expects instant results for the nature of the call. Me, I have been over that for the last many years. Bottom line is get a Passport and turn your cell phone OFF while traveling.

We have a town of Milton and Georgia that are next to each other here in my county:). That being said one of the rationales that many use for obtaining a passport is if something happened to someone back home and one needed to interrupt their trip to return home to take care of the issue. So if one isn't overly concerned about that then it removes one item from the equation.

What can go wrong if you don't have a passport? The same things really that can go wrong if you do have one- you can miss the ship or you can have a medical emergency that causes you to miss the ship. If you have a passport you can travel back with minimal delay but you will still face extra expenses of food, lodging, travel (and good travel insurance will help offset those costs). If you don't have a passport then you will have to enlist the help of the US Consulate to obtain the documentation necessary to return home. So you will face additional delay and expenses of food, lodging, travel (and good travel insurance will help offset those costs).

And if traveling without a passport were really that foolish then government would require it of all and they don't.

It's not just about expense, it's about delay. There is a long thread written elsewhere on this site about someone who missed the ship on one of his excursions. It was only the next day that he could get a passport, and that was because by sheer luck the Consulate was nearby. Imagine if your child needed to get back to the U.S. for vital medical treatment and you had to wait 1-2 days for a passport. They don't just look the other way because you are American. The American government has no jurisdiction over the borders of the countries that you would be visiting, and therefore their policy about travel documents has no bearing on what they can require of you to travel. For the price of 1 day of unlimited drinking, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but that is obviously every persons choice to make.

It's not just about expense, it's about delay. There is a long thread written elsewhere on this site about someone who missed the ship on one of his excursions. It was only the next day that he could get a passport, and that was because by sheer luck the Consulate was nearby. Imagine if your child needed to get back to the U.S. for vital medical treatment and you had to wait 1-2 days for a passport. They don't just look the other way because you are American. The American government has no jurisdiction over the borders of the countries that you would be visiting, and therefore their policy about travel documents has no bearing on what they can require of you to travel. For the price of 1 day of unlimited drinking, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but that is obviously every persons choice to make.

I did mention delay in my previous post. This is not about what other countries require, it's about what one needs to re-enter the US. The State Department has the authority to waive the passport requirements for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. You give a good example of how it works, guy missed the ship and was able to obtain a passport the next day. Yes, knowing where the Consulates are is something every traveler should know and take into consideration when planning their trip. If any traveler needs emergency medical care they will be treated at a local facility and will need to be stabilized before they are moved (and I would expect that the graver the emergency the faster the State Department would respond). There is nothing wrong with wanting to be safe than sorry and yes, it is every persons choice to make (that's kind of been my point). The fact remains that for the vast majority of US citizens the risk is very low on a closed loop cruise of not returning to the US on the ship.

Here's my $0.02. Get a passport. It is really easy. Got to Walgreens or CVS and they can take a picture in the right format in less than 15 minutes. Take these pics and your birth certificate and go to a full service post office, get the passport application form, fill it out, pay the fee and in a few weeks your shiny blue passport will appear in your mailbox. You will avoid real and potential problems down the line.

We did a short cruise to Bermuda and were told by our TA that we didn't need a PP. Wrong. It turns out that the cruise officials and the Customs people have different sets of rules that are surprisingly enforced in a cavalier way. If your ship is pulling into any non-US port and you plan on getting off you would be ill-advised to do so without an international passport document. Suppose you end up in a hospital, car accident or some other legal mess? Technically, the Customs officials can give you a hard time when coming back into the US. It happened to my wife and son who did not have passports (they are very American). I had mine and sailed through. At one point, the customs officials were going to make me drive to my home (5 hours away) and bring back my wife's passport. Her original NJ birth certificate and drivers license were treated the way certain Republicans looked at Obama's. In the end, they let her and my son in, but we will never again leave the US without a real passport. It is 2015, why would you?

A kind US Customs officer explained that the cruise ship operators are loose with the rules and count on the fact that the officials are reticent to deny entry to Americans on holiday, regardless of the rules. To a certain extent it depends on how you look and if you have an accent or not. Not nice, but that is the real world. Get Passports people....

Here's my $0.02. Get a passport. It is really easy. Got to Walgreens or CVS and they can take a picture in the right format in less than 15 minutes. Take these pics and your birth certificate and go to a full service post office, get the passport application form, fill it out, pay the fee and in a few weeks your shiny blue passport will appear in your mailbox. You will avoid real and potential problems down the line.

We did a short cruise to Bermuda and were told by our TA that we didn't need a PP. Wrong. It turns out that the cruise officials and the Customs people have different sets of rules that are surprisingly enforced in a cavalier way. If your ship is pulling into any non-US port and you plan on getting off you would be ill-advised to do so without an international passport document. Suppose you end up in a hospital, car accident or some other legal mess? Technically, the Customs officials can give you a hard time when coming back into the US. It happened to my wife and son who did not have passports (they are very American). I had mine and sailed through. At one point, the customs officials were going to make me drive to my home (5 hours away) and bring back my wife's passport. Her original NJ birth certificate and drivers license were treated the way certain Republicans looked at Obama's. In the end, they let her and my son in, but we will never again leave the US without a real passport. It is 2015, why would you?

A kind US Customs officer explained that the cruise ship operators are loose with the rules and count on the fact that the officials are reticent to deny entry to Americans on holiday, regardless of the rules. To a certain extent it depends on how you look and if you have an accent or not. Not nice, but that is the real world. Get Passports people....

That customs officer was playing you. The cruise lines would be subject to massive fines if they played fast and loose with the regulations. CBP tells it's officers to push passports for one reason- it makes their job easier. I am sorry, but i am not going to get something that i don't need just to make a government employee's life easier. I have known and know many cbp officers and some of them (certainly a small percentage) have a need to flex their official muscle whenever they can. We have already discussed the unexpected hospital visit and missing the ship and each traveler should be able to realistically assess their own level of risk and plan accordingly. (And i would add that if someone is getting a passport i would recommend they complete it on the State department website and bring the print out with them. They also have a search engine that will show all of the acceptance facilities in your area. Our post office is full service but they don't take passport apps.)

...officials are reticent to deny entry to Americans on holiday....

Americans don't go on holidays, they go on vacations. The use of the word "holiday" as a substitute for vacation is very European. Am I correct in assuming your wife and your son are American but you are not? At least not originally? Just curious.

For the record though, I would have to agree. I think anyone who would even consider traveling out of the country without a passport is crazy. Passports are not that expensive and they are good for ten whole years. Just get one.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Americans don't go on holidays, they go on vacations. The use of the word "holiday" as a substitute for vacation is very European. Am I correct in assuming your wife and your son are American but you are not? At least not originally? Just curious.

For the record though, I would have to agree. I think anyone who would even consider traveling out of the country without a passport is crazy. Passports are not that expensive and they are good for ten whole years. Just get one.

Non, Je suis American! I was born in NY. Both my family and my wife's go back to the early-1800's in the US. I travel a lot internationally though and I see people get all kinds of hassles and delays. The thing these days is to be prepared or suffer the consequences. A surly customs official or misinformed cruise or travel agent can cause you hours of problems or even ruin your vacation.

Why would anyone take the chance? It is soooo easy to get a passport and it can all be done by mail at the post office. Someone recommended calling first and that is correct. Some post offices like to do the docs at certain periods of time because they can eat up some time.

Also, copy your docs and keep several in different places just in case someone jacks your stuff. This is the age of suspicion and fear. Do yourself a favor and do the simple things that keep you out of trouble.

And for the record, the Customs officials are not BS'ing. In fact, they have discretion and in the end can enforce the rules or let things slide. They did not HAVE to let my 6 year old son with no documentation back in the country. They of course did, but they can be very selective about how they treat people. Just like the TSA. I had a TSA agent let me on a plane with a backpack full of sharp tools in 2002 during the peak in terror hysteria. The supervisor just looked, said they cannot go on the plane, I said ok, take 'em I got to go. He said, no go ahead...

When you have 2,000-3,000 people getting on and off a ship, you have to be flexible. That being said, do you really want to be the periodic training example?

That customs officer was playing you. The cruise lines would be subject to massive fines if they played fast and loose with the regulations. CBP tells it's officers to push passports for one reason- it makes their job easier. I am sorry, but i am not going to get something that i don't need just to make a government employee's life easier. I have known and know many cbp officers and some of them (certainly a small percentage) have a need to flex their official muscle whenever they can. We have already discussed the unexpected hospital visit and missing the ship and each traveler should be able to realistically assess their own level of risk and plan accordingly. (And i would add that if someone is getting a passport i would recommend they complete it on the State department website and bring the print out with them. They also have a search engine that will show all of the acceptance facilities in your area. Our post office is full service but they don't take passport apps.)

Unless things have changed since I got my first passport, you can mail it yourself using priority mail.

Unless things have changed since I got my first passport, you can mail it yourself using priority mail.

The application for your first passport always has to be processed in person at a passport agency or acceptance facility such as a post office or county clerk's office. Only renewals can be mailed directly.

Sorry, doc said i was 100% sane[emoji6] In any event just because domeone makes a choice different from you is no reason to question their danity especially since their decision does not affect you.

Non, Je suis American! I was born in NY. Both my family and my wife's go back to the early-1800's in the US. I travel a lot internationally though and I see people get all kinds of hassles and delays. The thing these days is to be prepared or suffer the consequences. A surly customs official or misinformed cruise or travel agent can cause you hours of problems or even ruin your vacation.

Why would anyone take the chance? It is soooo easy to get a passport and it can all be done by mail at the post office. Someone recommended calling first and that is correct. Some post offices like to do the docs at certain periods of time because they can eat up some time.

Also, copy your docs and keep several in different places just in case someone jacks your stuff. This is the age of suspicion and fear. Do yourself a favor and do the simple things that keep you out of trouble.

And for the record, the Customs officials are not BS'ing. In fact, they have discretion and in the end can enforce the rules or let things slide. They did not HAVE to let my 6 year old son with no documentation back in the country. They of course did, but they can be very selective about how they treat people. Just like the TSA. I had a TSA agent let me on a plane with a backpack full of sharp tools in 2002 during the peak in terror hysteria. The supervisor just looked, said they cannot go on the plane, I said ok, take 'em I got to go. He said, no go ahead...

When you have 2,000-3,000 people getting on and off a ship, you have to be flexible. That being said, do you really want to be the periodic training example?

Passengers on closed loop cruises are fully vetted during the cruise through numerous government databases so necessary processing of them when they return to the US is minimal (mostly checking the declaration forms). You say your son did not have documentation, did he not have his birth certificate? He should not have made it into the terminal much less been allowed on the ship without at least that. If he did have that then he had all the documentation that he needed. CBP officers do have discretion but they cannot arbitrarily impose a standard stricter than the regulations written by DHS. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport and experience no problems at all.

I know that for my family when we first started cruising it would have cost $800-900 to obtain passports for the 7 of us. Now, had the passports been required then we would have a) found a way to pay for the passports or b) found a different vacation. I did the research and determined that since our risk was small of anything happening we would forego obtaining passports until we actually needed them for the type of travel we were undertaking. That didn't happen until this year when we started planning a trip to Germany.

Point taken. No one should be told how they should spend their money.

$110

That is how much it cost to get a passport. Fees are payable to the U.S. Department of State are as follows: New, replacement or renewal of a passport book: $110 if age 16 and older; $80 if under the age of 16. New, replacement or renewal of a passport card: $30 if age 16 and older; $15 if under the age of 16.

That is $11 /year. Considering I pay more per week for gasoline it doesn't seem like such a big deal, but if you have a bunch of people it can be a big sticker shock - at least initially. Then again, everyone on a trip also needs luggage. If I had to buy 7-8 sets of luggage all a once it would look like a lot too.