Live Review - Anthem of the Seas - Maiden Voyage - 22nd April

Just seen pictures on a Quantum review and they had the Dreamworks parade and shows in the two70. Anthem might not have dreamworks due to being UK based, so after that she might get them when in the states due to licencing contracts.

What a breath of fresh air this review is!

After Quantum's initial reviews, I had buyers regret booking Anthem, but this review has made got me excited for June 1st :)

Hi. You're welcome to join our thread on the June 1st sailing :)

I take all reviews with a grain of salt. A lot of things are very subjective so I just do everything and not think about any pre conceived notions. I go in with a blank canvas. If everyone did this maybe they will be pleasantly surprised instead of waiting for something not so great to appear

Thanks for the prompt response, can't begin to tell you what a traumatic time we're likely to get if that is the case. One of the main reasons for booking this instead of Disney was Dreamworks was advertised on Anthem.

Don't know about Anthem, but just off Quantum and the characters are scheduled for photo ops. Various ones at various times of the day. And there was a "parade", which I didn't see. I was stage-side when the penguins made an appearance in 270!

Was reading a Q&A session with RCCL on the Dreamworks, and they said "that it isn't on board as there are plenty of entertainment options on board to keep you entertained but the Dreamworks Experience will come to the ship in the future."

Now when that will happen and if at all, time will tell.

Thanks for the info, have to say RCCL giving a vague ''in the future'' is of no use to me. We sail next month & august having booked both cruises primarily for the Dreamworks experience as was advertised at the time & is still being on various sites. incidently it is not a license issue as we sailed out of UK on Liberty and loved the Dreamworks parades etc.

I sent emails to various RCCL offices & received no reply & spoke to customer (dis)services who assured me Dreamworks was on the ship. Really don't know who else to contact to express my dissatisfaction with the whole set up.

Without going into details Anthem having plenty of entertainment options is of no value to us. I won't say our cruises are ruined but me & the missus have very little enthusiasm for them now.

Wish we'd booked a Disney cruise now, at least you don't get told Mickey won't be on board.

Thanks for the info, have to say RCCL giving a vague ''in the future'' is of no use to me. We sail next month & august having booked both cruises primarily for the Dreamworks experience as was advertised at the time & is still being on various sites. incidently it is not a license issue as we sailed out of UK on Liberty and loved the Dreamworks parades etc.

I sent emails to various RCCL offices & received no reply & spoke to customer (dis)services who assured me Dreamworks was on the ship. Really don't know who else to contact to express my dissatisfaction with the whole set up.

Without going into details Anthem having plenty of entertainment options is of no value to us. I won't say our cruises are ruined but me & the missus have very little enthusiasm for them now.

Wish we'd booked a Disney cruise now, at least you don't get told Mickey won't be on board.

I feel your pain here, we have a 5 year old who is going to be very disappointed in July.

The ship was definitely advertised as having Dreamworks in brochures when we booked, it has since disappeared from any RCI literature.

Not sure what happened and why it no longer has it.

This is just a guess but I would say that they may be taking the Dreamworks Characters off of Quantum when she repositions to Asia and then moving them to Anthem just as they are moving Mamma Mia to Allure. If so this would most likely be done when Quantum arrives at Barcelona in mid May or at some other point on her voyage from Barcelona to Asia.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

This is just a guess but I would say that they may be taking the Dreamworks Characters off of Quantum when she repositions to Asia and then moving them to Anthem just as they are moving Mamma Mia to Allure. If so this would most likely be done when Quantum arrives at Barcelona in mid May.

That sounds highly likely, a typical RCCL cost saving excercise no need to buy extra character outfits and employ extra staff. However one presumes that will result in same prob on Quantum as it is being advertised on there for future cruises.

My theory was that it would reduce the amount of entertainment staff needed thus freeing up accomodation for more waiting staff. This would help reduce the likelihood of many of the dining complaints that came from early Quantum cruises.

Whatever the reasoning it's all a pretty shabby situation.

That sounds highly likely, a typical RCCL cost saving excercise no need to buy extra character outfits and employ extra staff. However one presumes that will result in same prob on Quantum as it is being advertised on there for future cruises.

My theory was that it would reduce the amount of entertainment staff needed thus freeing up accomodation for more waiting staff. This would help reduce the likelihood of many of the dining complaints that came from early Quantum cruises.

Whatever the reasoning it's all a pretty shabby situation.

Not sure that it us really being marketed to the Asian cruisers or not. Don't really know if those characters are their "cup of tea"

Not sure if this would really free up a lot of staff or not as the entertainment people seem to wear many hats. Just one less thing for them to do. Over the course of a day the characters are really not out that much.

This is just a guess but I would say that they may be taking the Dreamworks Characters off of Quantum when she repositions to Asia and then moving them to Anthem just as they are moving Mamma Mia to Allure. If so this would most likely be done when Quantum arrives at Barcelona in mid May or at some other point on her voyage from Barcelona to Asia.

DreamWorks is on Mariner and Voyager in Asia. The RCI DreamWorks page has not been updated for a while though.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentSitelet.do?pagename=dreamworks_main

For UK guests who are unhappy that Dreamworks will not be on Anthem you could email Stuart Leven who is the RCCL UK MD and let him know how you feel and perhaps he can offer some insight as to why the Dreamworks characters will not be onboard -

sleven@rccl.com

Thanks, email sent and we'll see what happens.

I know the UK website has a different format, but the US website among others has a clear ship specific page for each vessel.

While RCI have a separate DreamWorks page stating which ships have the DreamWorks experience,

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentSitelet.do?pagename=dreamworks_main

The Ship specific pages show DreamWorks if included under the kids and families section.

Quantum has DreamWorks

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=QN&shipCode=QN&br=R

Anthem currently does not have DreamWorks

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=QN&shipCode=AN&br=R

To avoid future disappointment

Harmony and Ovation do not currently feature the DreamWorks Experience

Ovation

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=QN&shipCode=OV&br=R

Harmony

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=OA&shipCode=HM&br=R

Thanks for the email address, sent an email and awaiting a response!

Thanks, email sent and we'll see what happens.

Stuart is usually very quick at responding, he may be on Anthem at the moment but I am sure someone in his office will respond to your emails asap.

What has happened to the OP? He disappeared after day 3 :confused:

He's having too much fun to be telling us trivial things such like, what flavour shampoo is in the shower room in a suite on deck 8?, or can I get a shandy on the non alcoholic drinks package?

He is on holiday/vacation, after all!! :p

He's having too much fun to be telling us trivial things such like, what flavour shampoo is in the shower room in a suite on deck 8?, or can I get a shandy on the non alcoholic drinks package?

He is on holiday/vacation, after all!! :p

I haven't got any questions, I was just enjoying his live reviews each day.

Edited by floridaglen

Anothfiasco appeared to be iewer said it was great, so it may be a matter of personal taste? For example, I hate cirque du soleil, but thousands of people live their shows

We were on same voyage and we thought Spectra Cabaret was fantastic although it was obvious some people just didn,t get it, so yes everything is subjective. We have never cruised with RCI before and found the entertainment to be excellent. Loved Rock the boat and stowaway piano man too.

Food was very good although on several occasions meals were taking 3 hrs or so due to slow service, no explanation of reason why.

Devinly, wonderland and chops grill were fabulous.

Main promenade in our view was spoilt by competing music from all the bars and the DJ at the bionicbar,all could be heard in the restaurants in that area, We are big music fans from rock to classical and the level of competition spoilt the restaurant experience some what, but maybe this would not bother others.

Puzzle break was great fun and we spent the evening with some of the people in our team.

Didn't get on North star due to hour long queues.

Some technical problems were evident and frustrating.

Disembarkation was a bit of fiasco with long waits.

Great ship and we had lots of fun. Need a holiday to recover.

We thoroughly enjoyed our week onboard, first time with RCI and we were treated very well. Food was lovely and entertainment and activities were fantastic, lots to keep us occupied at all times. Staff were very good everywhere we came into contact with them.

Edited by p24296
Add photo