what type of purse do you carry while in port?

mimxmom

Right? And its comfy! I have the black and gray one

I have the all black version - matches my cruise dresses well, lol. It is comfy for a crossbody bag, I can adjust it to my prefer comfort level while reaching for something inside without it being a issue. (My breasts get in my way, lol)

I have the all black version - matches my cruise dresses well, lol. It is comfy for a crossbody bag, I can adjust it to my prefer comfort level while reaching for something inside without it being a issue. (My breasts get in my way, lol)

Same here, the twins (as I call them) tend to obstruct my view, reach, etc

I usually carry a small purse in port (currently it would definitely be a crossbody--I'm not refering to something intended for travel, just a regular crossbody purse like you can get at any clothing store) since they are super popular right now, easy to carry, smaller, and reduce the chance of being robbed since you can't grab it and run as easily!). On the ship I like to carry a small clutch or wristlet with my ship card, lip gloss, daily program, etc.

I also agonize over what purse to carry and I definitely prefer a crossbody. After much thought, I have decided to pull out my old trusty LV Odeon GM to take on our upcoming Rhine river cruise. It's roomy, goes with everything, and hopefully enough European that I'm not screaming tourist :eek:

I bring a backpack with EVERYTHING essential in it when I board the ship. The backpack allows me to be hands free until I can dump it in my room.

When I get off the ship at ports, I carry a cross-body bag . . .I've got three so I match it to the outfit I'm wearing. It can hold my cell phone, money, ID/seapass, as well as a few other extras, i.e. makeup and/or medication. I also use it when I'm out and about on the ship and want to carry more than just my card key. They keep you hands free and fashionable.

I've bought mine at Target and Kohl's. I have them in black, brown and mint green.

Happy cruising!:)

I carry a cross body Vera Bradley. It folds in my suitcase and doesn't take up much space, is very comfortable, has pockets so I don't need to take a wallet yet things are still easy to find, and it washable if I happen to get sand or something in or on it. It holds A LOT of stuff, everything I need to take in port (and probably some things I don't ;) and because it's not leather or hard sided, I can put small things I buy in port in it as well. I loaned one to my stepdaughter and another to my stepson's girlfriend on our Thanksgiving cruise and they loved them so much I got them their own for Christmas

http://www.verabradley.com/product/hipster-crossbody/flutterby/1001054_196594.uts?parentCategoryId=1092&subCategoryId=1128

These bags SCREEM American TOURIST in Europe! Try neutral leather for a softer approach...

Yes, I agree re: the Vera Bradley. Personally, I think they are hideous. Faux leather is a way classier way to go! And my mint green cross body (that I bought at Target) also has some metal interesting details. It's quite nice! If I'm in port and think I'm going to be souvenir shopping and don't want to carry anything, then I suck it up and carry my EMPTY backpack so I can load it with stuff. But, the cross body works 90% of the time!

I am wondering what is the best type of purse/bag or whatever it is you use in ports to carry around just things like money, ID, ship ID card, etc. Not like a beach bag. Thanks!

I don't carry a purse. I have a small backpack with lots of compartments to use on vacations. That way I can walk empty-handed after I buy souvenirs.

Things I put in it:

Apple juice (because I hate soda and water)

Wallet with cash, Visa, state ID, and ship card

Cell phone in case we get separated in ports

Hearing aid case and batteries (I wear two)

Camera, memory card, and battery in case

After shopping in gift stores, some postcards

Edited by CruisingSince2012

I also agonize over what purse to carry and I definitely prefer a crossbody. After much thought, I have decided to pull out my old trusty LV Odeon GM to take on our upcoming Rhine river cruise. It's roomy, goes with everything, and hopefully enough European that I'm not screaming tourist :eek:

LV matches everything. :)

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

Ugh. I remember cute and cheery bags at target.

Target recently exited the Canadian retail landscape... back to the states for some target shopping.

We leave tomorrow for Rome. I've decided on my bronze leather Fossil. Cute enough for Italy, but not one of my expensive ones. I got grease on a bag last year in mykonos. Had it been one of my expensive bags I would have hated it.

My current travel purse is Sherpani Luna crossbody, which Slidergirl turned me on to about a year ago. I have that style in 3 different prints. It is small to medium size, lightweight, and fits a deceptively large amount of items.

I always use a cross body type style, usually called a Hipster by Vera Bradley. If I am not carrying it while traveling to the ship, I always stick in my suitcase. It holds my wallet, sunglasses and of course passports and ship cards for my family of 4. And we all know Mom's end up with more than that in their purses too ;) For Christmas this year, Mom did get me a Kate Spade smaller cross body bag Im excited to carry but a little worried I will not be able to fit more than just necessities in.

I carry PacSafe purses. For our Europe trip I bought a PacSafe bag for my husband to carry his items and camera in. The bag did better than the backpacks he's used in the past because the bag didn't hold as much as the backpack, so it's weight was more manageable on long port days, and it's size and shape was easier to carry and stow on lap or side when seated.

I always use a cross body type style, usually called a Hipster by Vera Bradley. If I am not carrying it while traveling to the ship, I always stick in my suitcase. It holds my wallet, sunglasses and of course passports and ship cards for my family of 4. And we all know Mom's end up with more than that in their purses too ;) For Christmas this year, Mom did get me a Kate Spade smaller cross body bag Im excited to carry but a little worried I will not be able to fit more than just necessities in.

My purse is also by Vera Bradley, but smaller than a hipster. Recently Mom got, then gave me, a Vera Bradley wallet that is much better than what I had before but holds fewer cards. That combination makes me think I need a VB backpack!

If only that brand was not so expensive I would collect it.

My purse is also by Vera Bradley, but smaller than a hipster. Recently Mom got, then gave me, a Vera Bradley wallet that is much better than what I had before but holds fewer cards. That combination makes me think I need a VB backpack!

If only that brand was not so expensive I would collect it.

I love Vera and only buy when their online sales are 50-60% off.

Laura

I love Vera and only buy when their online sales are 50-60% off.

Try a thrift store. Mom found a cosmetic bag and a wallet that she gave me so I did not have to worry about the price for that. The thrift store is also where she found dresses for me and herself to wear on formal nights.

Someday I will look for those online sales, but they have to be on Amazon.com. Otherwise I probably will not get free shipping.

I carry an Overland Equipment brand Donner Shoulder Bag:

http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/donner-shoulder-bag/280031?productid=10353981

One thing I really like about this bag is that it has 2 side pockets that are intended to carry water bottles. The pockets lay flat when not in use and can obviously carry other things...but when they are used for water bottles, it keeps the condensation away from the rest of the things that I am carrying.

It's not a tiny bag; but it isn't huge.

I recently used this bag to walk around Malaga and Barcelona in conjunction with a Transatlantic cruise. I felt very "normal" and in sync with the crowd using this bag...not that I really care that much, but just to say that most of the people that were carrying bags were carrying practical bags such as this one.

I did see people with backpacks as well. Most often, the wearers of backpacks were wearing them in reverse...that is, they were wearing the backpack on their FRONT similar in style to a baby carrier. For sure, in the crowded streets, this is the only way to really take care of your stuff...it would be very, very easy to access a backpack on the back...especially the convenient outer pockets...with all the crowds and the jostling involved, it would be difficult to guard your backpack on your back.

Yes, I agree re: the Vera Bradley. Personally, I think they are hideous. Faux leather is a way classier way to go! And my mint green cross body (that I bought at Target) also has some metal interesting details. It's quite nice! If I'm in port and think I'm going to be souvenir shopping and don't want to carry anything, then I suck it up and carry my EMPTY backpack so I can load it with stuff. But, the cross body works 90% of the time!

I kind of agree re: Vera Bradley bags. Unless you are wearing solid colors only, they clash and look hideous. And they do nothing on a rainy day to protect your gear.

I carry an Overland Equipment brand Donner Shoulder Bag:

http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/donner-shoulder-bag/280031?productid=10353981

One thing I really like about this bag is that it has 2 side pockets that are intended to carry water bottles. The pockets lay flat when not in use and can obviously carry other things...but when they are used for water bottles, it keeps the condensation away from the rest of the things that I am carrying.

It's not a tiny bag; but it isn't huge.

I recently used this bag to walk around Malaga and Barcelona in conjunction with a Transatlantic cruise. I felt very "normal" and in sync with the crowd using this bag...not that I really care that much, but just to say that most of the people that were carrying bags were carrying practical bags such as this one.

It kind of looks like a diaper bag to me. *ducks and runs*

As someone who lives in the UK I can tell you that I see loads of people using these bags or ones that are similarly patterned and I never think "American tourist in Europe". Normally I just think, hey, that's a pretty bag...