Help flight time change from YVR !!!

Ashland

Alaska air (would expect this from DL) just changed my flight home after my cruise.. Sept 11th.

Arriving into Canada Place on board Radiance at 7:00am.

My original flight home was from YVR at 12:15pm.

My new departure flight leaves YVR at 10:45am.

Not much choice YVR-BUR via SEA..arriving into BUR at 5:15pm.

Can we do this new departure time..and has anyone cut it this close..and how do we do it..:confused:

Was going to use RCI transfers (because we're traveling with a 19 month old and no car seat) but the flight has to be after 12:00pm...can I now get there by taxi didn't want to use the skytrain.

This is so unexpected...please help !!

Get on the phone and talk to Alaska. Ask them for a later flight.

When I've had this happen for both Alaska and United, talking to customer service resolved the situation.

Forget that you are on a cruise. Just explain that it is impossible to make the earlier flight.

Get on the phone and talk to Alaska. Ask them for a later flight.

When I've had this happen for both Alaska and United, talking to customer service resolved the situation.

Forget that you are on a cruise. Just explain that it is impossible to make the earlier flight.

It's the only flight that would get us into BUR before approx 9:00pm...that makes the travel day way toooo long with a toddler :eek:. I know Alaska would change it but there isn't much else to choose from. Hard to believe they would have such a lack of flight times from YVR to SEA where my connection is or even connecting through PDX .

Making the RT cruise out of YVR is one of the reasons we choose to do this and not a north or southbound.

Just hoping Alaska will add another flight between now and September...what are the chances :confused:

Get a refund and use another carrier if AS's policies allow this. Been a while since I've had a reschedule really foul up my plans but that's always been possible on the other US majors I've used.

Alternatively just suck it up. I wouldn't count on AS adding flights that meet your demands.

Get a refund and use another carrier if AS's policies allow this. Been a while since I've had a reschedule really foul up my plans but that's always been possible on the other US majors I've used.

Alternatively just suck it up. I wouldn't count on AS adding flights that meet your demands.

My problem is having to use BUR (Burbank)....Just surprised at AS always on DL but just a few minutes here/there...this is a big time change 12:15pm-10:45am :eek:

Thanks for your response.

Had you wanted to get into LAX, a far different story.

But, if you insist on BUR, try this on for size:

YVR-PDX AS2435 12:10/13:21

PDX-BUR AS3488 17:55/20:01

When you chat with AS, why not see if the YVR change would qualify you to make the entire itinerary in/out of LAX. Yes, it might incur some additional parking/travel charges (but could you FlyBus to/from VNY?) If so, you could easily take the noon nonstop from YVR to LAX, arriving 3:07pm.

It's certainly cutting it close but in theory you should be fine going by taxi (only takes about 40 minutes from Canada Place to YVR). Of course, this is barring any customs delays in port and security delays at the airport (having to go through U.S. border control). Ideally you'd need to do a self-disembark as early as possible, which I understand isn't ideal with a toddler (and all accompanying luggage...)

12.15pm to 10.45am isn't a big time change, IME.

Any reason why you must use Burbank? Why not fly back into LAX, LGB, or even ONT if timing is that much more important?

Sorry...I think it's a big change...coming off a cruise..with logistics of getting to YVR, Customs etc. etc.

LGB, ONT...yikes we live on the border of LA & Ventura County.

Thanks for your input though.

Had you wanted to get into LAX, a far different story.

But, if you insist on BUR, try this on for size:

YVR-PDX AS2435 12:10/13:21

PDX-BUR AS3488 17:55/20:01

When you chat with AS, why not see if the YVR change would qualify you to make the entire itinerary in/out of LAX. Yes, it might incur some additional parking/travel charges (but could you FlyBus to/from VNY?) If so, you could easily take the noon nonstop from YVR to LAX, arriving 3:07pm.

Sorry not seeing an AS at noon nonstop to LAX.. only seeing American :confused:

LGB, ONT...yikes we live on the border of LA & Ventura County.

Me too :D (hi neighbor) but I still prefer LAX for the variety of flights. I actually don't see much commute time difference by the time you take the 134/405 traffic factor and it greatly increases your choices.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Me too :D (hi neighbor) but I still prefer LAX for the variety of flights. I actually don't see much commute time difference by the time you take the 134/405 traffic factor and it greatly increases your choices.

Simi Valley :D (Hello)....I (we) too usually always do LAX..but traveling with extended family that includes our 19 month old GS this trip....makes planning :eek::eek:...Looks like we have no other choice than to take a later flight out of YVR (1:15pm) and a long connect time at SEA (to us better than PDX) to get into BUR at almost 10:00pm...a long trip...but less stress than trying to make a 10:45am flight out of YVR...Darn Alaska Air for this change ;)

My problem is having to use BUR (Burbank)....Just surprised at AS always on DL but just a few minutes here/there...this is a big time change 12:15pm-10:45am :eek:

Thanks for your response.

There is a YVR-PDX-BUR option, leaving at 12:10pm and arriving BUR at 8:01pm...but there's a 4+ hour layover at PDX. Not the worst place to have a layover by any means, but still not ideal.

I too would get on the horn and see about a refund, though I have a feeling you won't be too successful. If LAX is at all an option, the nonstop YVR-LAX on AA at 12:00pm sounds lovely.

Simi Valley :D (Hello)....I (we) too usually always do LAX..but traveling with extended family that includes our 19 month old GS this trip....makes planning :eek::eek:...Looks like we have no other choice than to take a later flight out of YVR (1:15pm) and a long connect time at SEA (to us better than PDX) to get into BUR at almost 10:00pm...a long trip...but less stress than trying to make a 10:45am flight out of YVR...Darn Alaska Air for this change ;)

Looks like we posted right around the same time. The BUR restriction makes sense. However, I think PDX is a wonderful airport, and I wouldn't have any problem taking a layover there if it means getting home 2 hours earlier. But to each their own with provolone.

Good choice, trying to make a 10:45 flight in Vancouver would be hard even without the added issue of travelling with a toddler - they tend to slow you down :-)

Looks like we posted right around the same time. The BUR restriction makes sense. However, I think PDX is a wonderful airport, and I wouldn't have any problem taking a layover there if it means getting home 2 hours earlier. But to each their own with provolone.

Yes...the two hour earlier arrival time from PDX to BUR would be nice .... however it's on a SkyWest into BUR :eek: The SEA would be on AS....would this make any difference to any of you :confused:

Yes...the two hour earlier arrival time from PDX to BUR would be nice .... however it's on a SkyWest into BUR :eek: The SEA would be on AS....would this make any difference to any of you :confused:

To me, no, it wouldn't. But that's just me.

The CRJ-700 on PDX-BUR has 31 inch pitch/17 inch width.

The 737-700 on SEA-BUR has 32 inch pitch/17 inch width.

I'm not a fan of the CRJ-200, but the -700 and -900 are fine (though, overall, I still prefer Embraer aircraft). However, to save two hours, I would take the PDX layover (plus, to be honest, I do prefer PDX to SEA)

Sorry not seeing an AS at noon nonstop to LAX.. only seeing American :confused:
You're seeing an American flight number on a plane operated by Alaska, called a "codeshare." American doesn't fly its own planes between the Pacific Northwest and southern California.

The smaller planes are fine. I use Alaska up/down the west coast from Portland and really have no issue. I'm 6 foot, and the smaller planes really have no issues. If I have carryon rollaboard, it's collected at plane door, and retrievable as I exit the plane. Underseat and overhead storage is minimal, but suitable for backpack, briefcase, purse, etc.

Use the alaskaair.com website for most accurate flight info.

Edited by m2inor

You're seeing an American flight number on a plane operated by Alaska, called a "codeshare." American doesn't fly its own planes between the Pacific Northwest and southern California.

Actually it is just the opposite - the noon departure from YVR to LAX is Compass Airlines and is an American Airlines flight. AS is the codeshare partner and puts its flight number on the AA flight. Most likely AS will not allow the OP to rebook onto a flight operated by AA.

Actually it is just the opposite - the noon departure from YVR to LAX is Compass Airlines and is an American Airlines flight. AS is the codeshare partner and puts its flight number on the AA flight. Most likely AS will not allow the OP to rebook onto a flight operated by AA.
Really? I can't conceive of a reason why they wouldn't rebook onto an AS marketed flight (which is what this code-share is).

The flight has both an AS number AND an AA number. And it is operated by neither! So it's not really an "AA flight" - it's a CP flight. (not the late lamented Canadian Pacific, though ironic since the flight is from YVR)

Ask for it. As long as there is inventory, you should be able to get that change if you politely, yet firmly, explain your reason for the change from BUR to LAX.

[Red face] Yep, my mistake, Compass (which is typically a Delta contractor) is flying one of its brand new E175s with American Eagle livery on that route. AA recently contracted with Compass for some of its expanded LAX Eagle operations; I didn't know YVR was one of the destinations. Poor Alaska, not only is Delta trying to eat its lunch, but now AA? [/face]

I just want to thank all of you so very much that offered help/suggestions for our flight change dilemma.

AS was indeed very accommodating...We have changed our flights from BUR-YVR to LAX-YVR round trip...much better flight times.

Now deciding where to park at LAX...VNY flyaway doesn't leave early enough for us (my opinion) for our 8:00am departure. Was considering Lot C but thinking it might be a better option to use a private company (place) like the WallyPark or the Parking Spot...any first hand experience with either of these ?

Again much thanks to all :)

FWIW, I have a soft spot in my heart (and stomach) for the Parking Spot on Sepulveda.

No...it's not for the parking. Haven't needed to park at LAX since the early 80s. It's because you can take their shuttle from the terminals to their garage - which is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to a great In-N-Out. You can eat on their patio and watch aircraft landing right overhead onto the north runways.

FWIW, I have a soft spot in my heart (and stomach) for the Parking Spot on Sepulveda.

No...it's not for the parking. Haven't needed to park at LAX since the early 80s. It's because you can take their shuttle from the terminals to their garage - which is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to a great In-N-Out. You can eat on their patio and watch aircraft landing right overhead onto the north runways.

HaHa...Yes I know how most of you love our IN-N-Out. We have one of the best ones (a favorite of Lynsi Torres for some reason) only a 5 min drive from our house.