MDR Etiquette for Carnival Traditional Dining

FlaGrl4Evr

The cruises we have been on we have switched it up some so we could get to know the other cruisers. It's hard to talk to the ones all the way across the table when it is a table of 8. We never had anyone who was territorial about where they sat, thankfully!

When sitting at a table of 6 or more, I like to switch seats. It allows me the ability to have dinner conversation with different cruisers. Part of the fun of cruising for me is to meet different people from different places.

Same here. I have a hearing problem and it helps to move around just to be able to communicate. I might not be able to hear companions at the far end of the table. At least I can get acquainted with everyone if I move.

We had anytime dining on our Paradise sailing, but it seemed like (for most meals) we were seated at the same table. It was one near the window- a table for two. So, it was us, a second table for two, and a table for four right against the window. The tables are SO close together that they might as well just be one big one, which we were fine with. The second morning we were seated on the outside table for two and a group of women were seated at the table for four. An older couple were then seated between us. They lady was appalled that they were sandwiched between two "tables of strangers" (clutching her Platinum s&s on a lanyard) so much so that they left before their food arrived. Other than that, we sat by fantastic people! I'm a little scared now to try the early/late seating, as I would NOT want to be stuck with people like her for every night. :rolleyes:

When sitting at a table of 6 or more, I like to switch seats. It allows me the ability to have dinner conversation with different cruisers. Part of the fun of cruising for me is to meet different people from different places.

Same here. I have a hearing problem and it helps to move around just to be able to communicate. I might not be able to hear companions at the far end of the table. At least I can get acquainted with everyone if I move.

I also have found, especially at a large table where you can't hear everyone very well, it is fun to 'circulate' and switch seats so you can chat with others....as well in some cases where there is an 'annoying' occupant it is only fair to switch around so not everyone is stuck next to the 'complainer'? LOL

Edited by Froufie

If I am sitting at a large round, I kind of just sit tend to sit in the same seat I started in the beginning of the cruise. If I'm sitting at a rectangle or at a table next to the window, I always sit on an end and I like to rotate the window for other paxs to have a chance at the window during dinner. The only reason I am adamant at sitting on ends at a rectangle is because I'm left handed and the majority of people are right handed, so it's easier for me to accommodate so I don't hit others while eating because we have opposite dominate hands.

Really interesting topic! I'm one of those people who likes to sit in the same seat, park in the same parking spot, etc. Some PPs have had great ideas. If someone suggested we "switch it up" the next night I would think that was fun, but if someone sat in "my" seat and scowled at me I would be irritated. Guess it is all in the communication? My fav thing about carnival is how friendly everyone is and how easy it is to strike up a conversation. Love that part about traditional seating.

For the last couple of years we have cruised with a family group of 16. This last cruise we were at 2 large 8 - person tables. Not only did we switch seats, we switched tables too. The same waiter but different assistant waiters for our 2 tables. The staff took it all in stride.

On my last Transatlantic on the Carnival Splendor, we had a table of 10, next to a large window! We had mostly couples, so we all moved around the table, so we could talk with

different couples throughout the 16 night crossing. I really enjoyed moving around and

our table Mates enjoyed the same! I think you are missing out on enjoying the company of different folks, if you don't move around! So give it a try!

For the most part people tend to keep the same seats. But on our Transatlantic a couple of years ago we were at an 8-person table with three other couples. We started switching seats around every night so it would be easier for people to talk to someone different. But yeah, it's really up to your table - unless you really hate your initial seat, you can ask if you can switch :)

As far as the question of etiquette, I would say that for a table by the window or other "preferred" seating On the first night where people sat where they wanted based on what was available the first night, the POLITE thing to do if you were seated in the preferred seats would be to ask others if they wanted a "turn" at those seats tomorrow. Thus signaling to the group that you were willing to rotate seating around so that everyone had a chance to sit at the window. Or just show up later the next night to give others a chance to get to them.

Other MDR rules would be "try to be on time" the wait staff will hold off taking orders and starting dinners (not just for your table but for the whole section) waiting on people who come in late. They want to be able to place all the orders at once so they are all ready at the same time so they can server things in an orderly fashion. If you come in and sit 15 minutes late (or worse) you most likely have delayed 20 peoples dinners.

On our recent cruise our table mates were 15 minutes late every night. One night, I saw them wandering around looking at photos just before dinner and they were still late! So it wasn't like they weren't dressed or late getting back from port or something. They just didn't think it was important I guess. Our waiters didn't make us wait for them. They just went ahead and took our orders and we were always done before them and left because there was often something going on at 730 that we wanted to do.

I'm also super weird in that I can't stand to have my back to the room. It makes me very nervous and uncomfortable, so I choose my seat based on this criteria. I'd be a very grumpy camper if someone took "my" seat.

OMG yes - can't stand that - and it makes me very uneasy. I don't care where I sit as long as I don't have to have this. Put me in the corner next to the galley and I could be good as long as everyone and their brother can't walk up behind me. ;)

OMG yes - can't stand that - and it makes me very uneasy. I don't care where I sit as long as I don't have to have this. Put me in the corner next to the galley and I could be good as long as everyone and their brother can't walk up behind me. ;)

Hope you don't get one of the round tables in the middle of the lower level....:eek:

For us, my mother is in a wheelchair so she tends to have the same spot everytime as the waitstaff remove the dining room chair. I sit to her right so I can help her (she can't use her right hand). For us, sitting in basically the same spots is a necessity.

I'm also left handed and will sit on the left at a rectangular table so that I don't bump elbows with the person sitting next to me. I usually travel with my husband and sister so if we're seated at a round table with others I will sit between my husband and sister (they're both right handed but I would rather bump elbows with someone I know). Otherwise I will go with the flow, I don't care where I sit.

It seems to be different on every cruise for us. Sometimes us and our tablemates sit in the same seats every night, sometimes we switch it up (sometimes we do both on the same cruise). It is fun switching seats and sitting beside someone else every night!! :D Never had anyone complain about where they (or anyone else) was sitting. I've also never had a problem with our waiter/waitress getting confused when we switch it up, even had some joke with us about it!! :D

I was pretty annoyed with my own family and wait staff once on RC. We had 20 people at two tables. I was assigned to the table with distant cousins my own age (four of whom I had never even met), while my mother and sister (who it was their first cruise and I had talked them into going on this one), as well as my grandparents sat at the other table. I mentioned this to my grandmother, who said to just switch tables the next night, everyone can sit wherever. Well, my mother, sister, DH and I sat at her table together the next night. The waiter came up and said I sat at the wrong table and I had to move. I was surprised he said that, and I told him no. Some other family members were all ruffled about it too, which surprised me. I was pretty annoyed with the person who did the table seatings for that one.

After reading the posts, My friend and I will just go-with-the-flow and see what everyone else at the table wants to do. We are pretty easy going so it doesn't really matter where we sit. Plus, seeing that we will have the late seating, sitting by the window is not a big factor..... it is usually too dark to see outside anyway.

With a large table, I kind of like the idea of moving around to different seats in order to have an opportunity to meet all of the guests but if this is not something that others want to do..... then again, no biggie.

We have never selected the Traditional Dining option so I really do appreciate all of the great advice , information and shared experiences.

Another poster brought up the importance of being on time.... we will be punctual ..... besides, by 8:15 we are usually starving so dinner will most likely be a priority.

:)

As far as the question of etiquette, I would say that for a table by the window or other "preferred" seating On the first night where people sat where they wanted based on what was available the first night, the POLITE thing to do if you were seated in the preferred seats would be to ask others if they wanted a "turn" at those seats tomorrow. Thus signaling to the group that you were willing to rotate seating around so that everyone had a chance to sit at the window. Or just show up later the next night to give others a chance to get to them.

Other MDR rules would be "try to be on time" the wait staff will hold off taking orders and starting dinners (not just for your table but for the whole section) waiting on people who come in late. They want to be able to place all the orders at once so they are all ready at the same time so they can server things in an orderly fashion. If you come in and sit 15 minutes late (or worse) you most likely have delayed 20 peoples dinners.

Last May on Fantasy, we got there first on Assigned seating and had the window seat, the next night, we moved over and let the other party of 3 have the window seats, as they seemed enthused with it. I wouldn't have felt right hogging it up, they were just so nice. Now the final group of 3 at our table, nobody even tried to offer. They were lucky to be 20 minutes late every day.