Just off the PRIDE, WARNING about aft cabin shaking

jetta8300

It sure isn't, so I don't know where the idea came from.

The sailing we were looking at for next August is $1710 right now (well in advance) for two in a 4k, which is an inside cabin. Not at all cheap at over $100 pp and not even a balcony. Prices for the non- summer months for next year aren't much better.

Every year since we started cruising we've gone south to catch the ship, because sailing from up here is much more a point of convenience than anything. Yet that has not outweighed other options even if it means travelling.

I can and have sailed on older fantasy class ships for less. Even after you calculate airfare and everything else. And no issues with vibrations, etc. I go through this exercise every year when deciding what ship to book. The Pride is by no means cheap. And that's o.k. but there's no point In making things up. Her layout, convenience for many, upgrades etc. keep her booked. Not everyone is scared off by the listing or vibration chatter like I am.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Totally agreed. After sailing on the pride I am actually very surprised that this ship is booked as much as it is. Again, it's not like we had a bad vacation. We still had a good time, aside from the shaking. It's a vacation for goodness sakes and we made the best of it, and there were some very good points to the ship, especially the upgrades. However the shaking aside, we would still not sail the ship again for many other reasons. And it's EXPENSIVE. that's the real kicker. I guess there are just a lot of people out there willing to pay the money to be loyal to Carnival, and find Baltimore convenient enough that they don't want to go south for a better ship/itinerary or bother cruising out of NYC.

I had heard a lot of rave reviews of the ship before we went, and for the same price as the other cruises, we were very underwhelmed by the experience compared to the cost. If we do end up sailing from the east coast again we will probably try the Breakaway or fly south to Ft lauderdale or Miami and maybe sail Carnival again. We are very glad we tried to Pride, and got to experience Half Moon Cay!

Edited by jetta8300

And now for some humor - I noticed the Pride is chartered for a "Big Nude Boat" nudist cruise in 2017, 7 day round-trip out of Tampa. Think perhaps it was selected for the jiggle factor?

Just a correction - the charter is a 9 day round trip on the Miracle, but same class of ship.

How exactly does one get home from the first port then? Is it paid for by the cruise line?

Yup...

The Carnival Great Vacation Guarantee™ is the greatest guarantee you’ll never need to use. If you’re not happy with any 3–14 day Carnival vacation you take to The Bahamas, the Caribbean, the Mexican Riviera, Bermuda, Canada/New England or Alaska, just let us know within 24 hours of your departure. We’ll refund 110% of your fare and our Guest Services will get you back to your home, free of charge. With no hassles and no questions asked.

Don't look for carnival to do anything about the vibration and/or shaking in

the Aft section of the Pride. My first time on the Pride was Sept. 2010. It

was vibrating and shaking back then and the same on the other three times

I have sailed on the Pride. I am sailing on the Pride in June, 2016 and since

my first time on the Pride I learned to sail mid ship then you do not have a

problem. People should read up on cruise critic before they book a cabin.

I and many other cruisers have written about the vibrating and/or shaking

on the Pride for many years now. Sorry to hear about your bad cabin.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I would like to know from Jetta8300 what type of cabin they had on RCL

Allure of the seas. I have priced Allure of the seas and I did not find an Ocean

suite that was the same price as an Ocean Suite on the Pride. Not counting the

airfare to get to FLL. When I sail from Florida I have to fly in the day before.

I have to pay for a hotel, and transfer to the ship. Same when we go home

we have to transfer from ship to MCO. There is no way it is cheaper than

sailing on the pride. When I sail on the Pride I leave my house at 10.00AM

and get to the port just as they open the parking lot. Am on the Pride by

11:45AM drinking my first DOD. HAPPY SAILING!!!

I would like to know from Jetta8300 what type of cabin they had on RCL

Allure of the seas. I have priced Allure of the seas and I did not find an Ocean

suite that was the same price as an Ocean Suite on the Pride. Not counting the

airfare to get to FLL. When I sail from Florida I have to fly in the day before.

I have to pay for a hotel, and transfer to the ship. Same when we go home

we have to transfer from ship to MCO. There is no way it is cheaper than

sailing on the pride. When I sail on the Pride I leave my house at 10.00AM

and get to the port just as they open the parking lot. Am on the Pride by

11:45AM drinking my first DOD. HAPPY SAILING!!!

When comparing cabin prices, I'm comparing balcony cabins. We had a balcony cabin booked on the pride right up until about a week before the cruise, when the upsell person called and we upgraded to this dreaded suite. The price after tax, and carnival insurance, etc. was $2200 for the balcony cabin. It was $2265 for a balcony cabin after taxes and everything on the Allure. I'd say that's more than comparable. Allure was in June, Pride was in April. Both prime cruising season, actually less so with the pride because it was well after Easter with spring break season being pretty much over.

As for you saying that people "should do research" on the Pride ahead of time so they know what to expect with the bad vibration, that's precisely why I started this thread. There are some posters saying that the shaking is "barely noticeable"??? That's why I accepted this darn suite. I actually started a thread before the cruise asking how bad it was, and NOBODY was very descriptive. People were like, "you'll be fine". Or "yeah it kind of vibrates..." And I'm trying to tell people that some of us were absolutely NOT fine. There were zero threads describing the shaking in very much detail and now there are at least all sorts of different opinions here so people can make their own judgement call.

Edited by jetta8300

My wife and I were onboard the Splendor in april and we couldn't believe how bad the vibration was at the steakhouse which is towards the aft of the ship or the golden pearl dining room which is at the stern. Tables rattled with the glasses and silverware making noise, it was really bad. Ive always wanted to try an aft extended balcony but the vibrations would deter me.

We are currently cruising on the Pride and in Vista Suite 4237 and last night the vibrations were nuts but we slept. Things were shuttering and noises were pretty bad. Currently we have very light vibrations and no major problems. Either way you can beat the view and we love the room. The dining room is constantly vibrating but nothing horrible. I've never experienced this on any other ship. The weather has been perfect so far!

Our first balcony was an aft on the Pride 13 years ago and, because we loved it so much, we have our fourth aft balcony coming up on the Liberty next week. We always try to get an aft when booking. We both love them. Besides a little soot on the balcony furniture on a couple (easily wiped off), we have never had any problems.

I don't mind the vibrations, but they have never been severe.

I'm in 4237 October 11th, so will be interested in hearing your review of the room after your cruise is over. I'm looking forward to our cruise, it will be first time in aft cabin. Thanks for the info.

I've sailed in both the 4th and 5th deck Vista Suites on the Pride...again, it's what you'd find tolerable. I personally don't mind, but there's definitely more vibration on the Pride (and other Spirit class ships - as well as related builds for HAL) than on the Fantasy class aft facing cabins.

This is a legitimate issue....

I would write a well worded letter to Corporate.

Start out with the positives and then say "however, the reason for my letter".

I have found that a reasonable letter has gotten reasonable results.

Good luck!

Yes thanks :) We did have a good time, though many nights we felt like sleeping in the lobby. We dreaded going back there. I truly think this is an issue with either just the Pride, or possibly all of the Spirit class ships because we did not experience anything like this on the Carnival Freedom either. I've never felt anything like this.

It's all Spirit class ships. Never take an aft cabin on these ships.

I was in 7351 but then we switched dates and it was gone. Now we are in a forward cabin on deck 5. I assume the vibration issue is non-existent all the way up front??

Yes! Pretty much non existent, unless you're in the MDR then! Have a great trip!

• 4 months later...

I cruise the Pride and had an Aft balcony and you could hear a hum but I never noticed a shaking or anything remotely violent. I've only been on one other cruise so far but I would have done it again. I thought it was a great room, balcony, and view.

• 2 months later...
I cruise the Pride and had an Aft balcony and you could hear a hum but I never noticed a shaking or anything remotely violent. I've only been on one other cruise so far but I would have done it again. I thought it was a great room, balcony, and view.

What cabin were you in?

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed in August 2015 cabin 5234 an obstructed balcony room.

Before the ship even set sail our cabin had vibration while docked in Baltimore. I was very concerned and that night dinner in the dining room was terrible~~ there was a lot of vibrating. Our glasses were shaking & so was my stomach and I had cruised before.

I believe it had to do with the idle & low speed in the bay because it did get a lot better after the 1st night and wasn't even noticeable.

We sailed in August 2015 cabin 5234 an obstructed balcony room.

Before the ship even set sail our cabin had vibration while docked in Baltimore. I was very concerned and that night dinner in the dining room was terrible~~ there was a lot of vibrating. Our glasses were shaking & so was my stomach and I had cruised before.

I believe it had to do with the idle & low speed in the bay because it did get a lot better after the 1st night and wasn't even noticeable.

It's not so much the low speed as the relatively shallow water in the bay. This is what is known as "bottom bounce", where the pressure waves caused by the propellers bounce off the bottom and hit the ship again. In deeper water, it takes longer for the pressure wave to reach the bottom and return, so the ship has passed that point by that time.