Solo to Alaska 2016

runner2013

Hello all,

I've been cruising solo for a bit but mainly to Caribbean locations.

I'm looking at a trip to Alaska next year and it has come down to either the Explorer of the Seas on RC or the Norwegian Jewel..

I've been on several of RC's ships, and just the Sky on Norwegian, so I'd like to think I know what I'd be getting from each line.

I'm leaning toward NCL because I have noticed RC doesn't have much in the way of solo activities on their ships.

For those of you who have done an Alaska sailing, would you agree with my choice?

I'm also wondering if you found more families/couples on this type of itinerary vs. a Caribbean one?

As far as price, ports of call, etc, they are almost identical so that wouldn't factor in at this point.

Any advice opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Runner2013,

I am jumping on to your thread because I was looking at the same thing for an Alaskan cruise in 2016 and have been trying to decide on which cruise line would be the best for solo cruisers, my age bracket, activities, etc.

I've cruised RCI and Carnival, but never NCL...so I would be interested in to seeing the feedback you receive on this post...and I'll do a bit more research at my end too.

Cheers! :)

I've done 2 solos to Alaska - one on HAL and one on Carnival. Both were great. Met a few solos on both. Alaskan cruises are more about the destination than the ship, and people are more into the port excursions and activities than onboard goings on.

Roz

Hello all,

I'm leaning toward NCL because I have noticed RC doesn't have much in the way of solo activities on their ships.

As far as price, ports of call, etc, they are almost identical so that wouldn't factor in at this point.

Thanks

Hi...me again...I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I may have narrowed it down to Carnival Legend May 2016. Like you said, almost all are identical, but Carnival leaves from Vancouver and ends in Seattle, and the times in the ports seem much longer than some other cruise line itineraries...more time for excursions.

Plus I think the age range on Carnival may a bit more for me (50...but young 50 year old) :)

If anyone has any info on this, or has done a Carnival cruise to Alaska (especially solo), I'd love some feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

I'm looking at a trip to Alaska next year and it has come down to either the Explorer of the Seas on RC or the Norwegian Jewel..

I've been on several of RC's ships, and just the Sky on Norwegian, so I'd like to think I know what I'd be getting from each line.

For those of you who have done an Alaska sailing, would you agree with my choice?

I'm also wondering if you found more families/couples on this type of itinerary vs. a Caribbean one?

Thanks

I haven't been to Alaska, but I am going in July. I spent a lot of time researching itineraries. Only NCL, Princess, HAL, Carnival and Crystal have permits to sail in Glacier Bay. If Glacier Bay is a "must see" for you - as it is for me - that would eliminate RC ships.

• 1 month later...
I haven't been to Alaska, but I am going in July. I spent a lot of time researching itineraries. Only NCL, Princess, HAL, Carnival and Crystal have permits to sail in Glacier Bay. If Glacier Bay is a "must see" for you - as it is for me - that would eliminate RC ships.

I did 2 weeks on the Norwegian Sun 6/29-7/12 in Alaska. It was a great cruise as a solo. Every day there was a solo get together to meet have drinks go to dinners etc. I did not go to any of the solo stuff the first week but really enjoyed it the second week. We had tapas and wine and a dinner for 17 our last put on by the cruise director staff.

There were lots of families with kids and older people. School is out and it is a good learning opportunity for kids.

Best cruise I have ever taken. The rates were awesome.

Edited by 1jazzylady

That's interesting, jazzy lady, since I thought only the new ships with studios had organized gatherings on NCL. I've tried several times on RCCL, but without a ship person coordinating, solo efforts have been virtually nonexistent.

• 1 month later...

I have not gone with those cruise lines to Alaska, but I have a piece of advice for Alaska.

1) Buy the largest SD cards your camera can take so you don't have to exchange cards in the middle of taking pictures.

2) Take more than one battery for the camera, that way you can charge one while taking pictures with the other.

3) MAKE SURE the charger and extra batteries are packed! I can't believe it but I went to Las Vegas only to find I forgot the spare battery and charger. I ended up taking most of my pictures with a cheap phone camera. Don't make the same mistakes as me.

That's me too, looking for a solo cruise to Alaska for next summer, 2016! I am trying to find a bit smaller of a ship. I also would like to find a ship that offers some on-board classes to learn things like pc stuff, history, cooking, geographic (Alaska info). Anyone have any suggestions for me?

That's me too, looking for a solo cruise to Alaska for next summer, 2016! I am trying to find a bit smaller of a ship. I also would like to find a ship that offers some on-board classes to learn things like pc stuff, history, cooking, geographic (Alaska info). Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Of the cruise lines I've sailed, Crystal clearly is the winner for on-board classes. If that's outside of your price range, Celebrity would be my second choice.

RCL and NCL would not.

Just did a solo land/cruise with Princess in May. Had a blast. I'm 54 and met people from their 30's through the 90's on the cruise. I think Alaska is more destination intensive than other cruises are. But I had a blast, met great people, spent time alone and will definitely love to do it all over again!:)

Hi everyone, I don't post often but just wanted to say this is something I also plan on for 2016. I'm just curious about how many rooms would need to be booked to get group rates and would it save us very much? I'm 53, wife doesn't cruise and it would be great if we could get a solo group together for an Alaska cruise and maybe save a little also.

You may want to give HAL a look, they have quite a few things to offer that you are looking for, the ships are on the smaller side, they go to Glacier Bay and they have a great library if that is important to you. They are more of a main stream line price wise, and not a premium line like Crystal. Good luck.

You may want to give HAL a look, they have quite a few things to offer that you are looking for, the ships are on the smaller side, they go to Glacier Bay and they have a great library if that is important to you. They are more of a main stream line price wise, and not a premium line like Crystal. Good luck.

Thanks. I am now pretty close to booking a celebrity one, although Hal is second choice.

Hi everyone, I don't post often but just wanted to say this is something I also plan on for 2016. I'm just curious about how many rooms would need to be booked to get group rates and would it save us very much? I'm 53, wife doesn't cruise and it would be great if we could get a solo group together for an Alaska cruise and maybe save a little also.

Hi,:) I am not a TA but I have some knowledge of group bookings and

to be honest, you would need at least 8 cabins to get any kind of

price break....not sure how many people you are referring to though.

You would have to have everyone book under 1 TA to get that break.

Hi,:) I am not a TA but I have some knowledge of group bookings and

to be honest, you would need at least 8 cabins to get any kind of

price break....not sure how many people you are referring to though.

You would have to have everyone book under 1 TA to get that break.

Thanks Lois, I have been wondering...8 rooms shouldn't be to bad! I prefer May or September. How was the weather in May...how much sunshine? We cruised from Vancouver to Seward in the late 90s, the Gulf of Alaska was very rough and my wife was very sick for a Few days. She said no more cruises and has stuck to it lol. We were with other couples on that cruise. Since I've been going solo seems like I get more out of each cruise. Thanks again!

Thanks Lois, I have been wondering...8 rooms shouldn't be to bad! I prefer May or September. How was the weather in May...how much sunshine? We cruised from Vancouver to Seward in the late 90s, the Gulf of Alaska was very rough and my wife was very sick for a Few days. She said no more cruises and has stuck to it lol. We were with other couples on that cruise. Since I've been going solo seems like I get more out of each cruise. Thanks again!

Oh...that would be different if you have a a group of friends that

already want to cruise together. But to find a group of "single/solo people"

on here to go as a group?......seems that would be much more difficult.

(in my opinion).....you would need get 7 other folks to give 1 person

all their personal information to someone they don't know......not sure

how wise that would be. (not trying to bring you down) but everyone

would have to be on the same booking number to get a group rate.

Oh, I had fabulous weather all week but you need to remember that the climate

for Alaska is normally RAIN..........I got very lucky and it only rained once.

It was very sunny all week......like I said, my week was absolutely out of the

ordinary:)

Edited by Lois R

Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed your Celebrity Alaska cruise. Hope your river cruise next is just as great.

Oh...that was my 4th Alaskan cruise and I loved all of them:D

And thank you.......I am really looking forward to the River Cruise:)

Hello all,

Thanks

I just did 14 nights on NCL Sun cruising Alaska. I was solo. I did not attend any solo events the first week but the second week I did. Everyday in the daily was a meeting in a bar. The solo thing was very active the week I went. We went to dinner and shows together. The member hosting from the cruise directors staff was great. The first day she got us all the drink we wanted, she arranged a Tapas party for us, a happy hour type thing and a final night dinner where we had 17 for dinner. There were a lot of solos on the ship.

Edited by 1jazzylady

I have not gone with those cruise lines to Alaska, but I have a piece of advice for Alaska.

1) Buy the largest SD cards your camera can take so you don't have to exchange cards in the middle of taking pictures.

Speaking as a photographer, I'd like to present an alternate viewpoint on SD card size. Even a "small" card is 8gig and can hold several hundred photographs. I would be nervous to put my entire trip on a single card (or even a single camera) which could be lost or fail to operate. I would bring 5 or 6 8gig cards and use a different card at every port of call.

If you take more than 200 photographs in a single day, you may not be thinking about your composition. Take your time, focus, bracket, make every shot meaningful.

The exception is whale watching. If you've got the beastie in your sights, focus, hold steady, and set the camera to capture multiple frames. That improves your chances of getting lucky. Use a "Class 10" or higher card so the camera doesn't need to wait for the card.