What are the odds...

cricket_7

...That a sold out cruise will open back up two weeks before the sail date? Hubby wasn't able to book with us because of a possible work conflict. Now he can go and lo and behold the cruise will not pull up on the Carnival website and when I call Carnival, they are saying it's sold out.

When people need to cancel, do they normally call Carnival and cancel or do they just not show up? What's rather strange is that the cruise would pull up on the Carnival website, then it would disappear, then show up again the next day. Is this due to cancellations or perhaps carnival was making upgrade calls and doing some switching around?

I was also wondering if this would be an option. If the cruise is NOT at max capacity, if someone on my roll call was willing to add him to their room, I assume they would allow this? For instance, someone was booked in a quad and they only had 3 people in the room. This would be for booking purposes only of course. Would this work?

Another option..post on my roll call that if someone had to cancel, we would be willing to take their place and pay the name change fee and cruise fare. The perk for them I would assume is that they wouldn't lose their money or be out any cancellation fees. Was wondering if this would be a viable option?

Or should I just keep checking to see if someone cancels and I'm able to book him a room? If so, how many days prior to sailing can someone be added?

Any other suggestions? In hindsight, I should have just booked him a room and bought the "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Odds are zero.. They have already closed the booking. Did you call Carnival and ask if he can be added to your cabin? There may not be cabin s left but you might be able to add him onto your booking. Are there others in your party that he might have a bigger cabin that they can add him to?

We need more information. I assume you are booked on this cruise. Are you trying to add him to your cabin, or book another cabin for him?

Another option..post on my roll call that if someone had to cancel, we would be willing to take their place and pay the name change fee and cruise fare. The perk for them I would assume is that they wouldn't lose their money or be out any cancellation fees. Was wondering if this would be a viable option?

This won't work, because you cannot just assume someone else's reservation...At least one person in the cabin must be on the original reservation. You can't change out all of the people. EM

We need more information. I assume you are booked on this cruise. Are you trying to add him to your cabin, or book another cabin for him?

This won't work, because you cannot just assume someone else's reservation...At least one person in the cabin must be on the original reservation. You can't change out all of the people. EM

We are already book in another cabin and are at the max for that cabin, so they won't add him to our room.

Not assuming someone else's reservation, but for instance, 1 person in that cabin was unable to go and needed to cancel. For booking purposes only, could he take their spot and squeeze into our cabin with us? Not the most ideal situation, but we could make it work since we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin anyway.

Edited by cricket_7

Odds are zero.. They have already closed the booking. Did you call Carnival and ask if he can be added to your cabin? There may not be cabin s left but you might be able to add him onto your booking. Are there others in your party that he might have a bigger cabin that they can add him to?

So if there are cancellations, they won't try to fill those spots? What is odd is that I have been pulling it up the last few days and it would show up, then be gone then show up again. I thought maybe people were cancelling and they were trying to fill those cabins?

We are already book in another cabin and are at the max for that cabin, so they won't add him to our room.

Not assuming someone else's reservation, but for instance, 1 person in that cabin was unable to go and needed to cancel. For booking purposes only, could he take their spot and squeeze into our cabin with us? Not the most ideal situation, but we could make it work since we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin anyway.

Assuming you know this person and they are ok with that, then they COULD do this, but if they already paid a penalty for their person backing out, I am not sure if Carnival would do that. Normally there is a $50 fee for changing a name on a booking. But that would get him on the ship.

You only other option is to call and ask Carnival to put you on a list for any cancellations. This is tricky however because at this point the odds of someone canceling and having the type and category cabin you have are slim. If a higher priced cabin comes up as available are you ready to pay the extra? I think your idea of finding another in your meet and greet group that would be willing to add them to their cabin has a better chance succeeding.

Do you have a PVP with carnival? I mean the only thing I can personally think of doing would be to call and ask to be put on some sort or waitlist if someone would happen to cancel?

I mean personally I think the chances are slim but people DO cancel cruises so it is possible.

How far off is your cruise?

What kind of cabin do you have. I assume that it must have somewhere for him to sleep.

This is the one instance where I would employ the services of a TA. They can make frequent inquiries and may have inside contacts that can get this done.

Do you have a PVP with carnival? I mean the only thing I can personally think of doing would be to call and ask to be put on some sort or waitlist if someone would happen to cancel?

I mean personally I think the chances are slim but people DO cancel cruises so it is possible.

How far off is your cruise?

The sail date is May 16th. I'll call Carnival and ask to be put on a wait list. Thanks!

What kind of cabin do you have. I assume that it must have somewhere for him to sleep.

This is the one instance where I would employ the services of a TA. They can make frequent inquiries and may have inside contacts that can get this done.

Great idea..I will also contact a TA to see what they can do.

I called carnival and to be put on a wait list you have to put money down (not a big deal), but the cost of the cruise fair is $3500!! The single supplement for an inside was around $1200 and a suite was $2000 something yesterday.

Getting in touch with my roll call and I keep checking the Carnival website. Also contacting a TA, but not sure what they can do to help?

I called carnival and to be put on a wait list you have to put money down (not a big deal), but the cost of the cruise fair is $3500!! The single supplement for an inside was around $1200 and a suite was $2000 something yesterday.

Getting in touch with my roll call and I keep checking the Carnival website. Also contacting a TA, but not sure what they can do to help?

If you are working with a TA - Carnival will NOT deal with you at all.

If your cabin is already full, even if someone on your roll call did as you are suggesting, your husband wouldn't be able to stay in your cabin as there are just so many places to sleep and so much room on a lifeboat. Sometimes, even if there are cabins available, if the total capacity of the ship is filled by some cabins having 3 or 4 people, you won't be able to book into an empty cabin.

To me, you were given a choice by Carnival to put the money down for a single occupancy cabin or pay even more for a suite. Unfortunately, no matter how much the cruise already cost you, if you want him to go, and an opening comes up, you may have to pay the big bucks. I can't imagine anyone on your roll call agreeing to have your husband added to the booking, even with having it for booking purposes only as what you want to do is illegal as should there be a problem, the ship would believe that there were only 4 of you in a cabin when in fact you would have 5.

I know you don't want him to miss the cruise, but booking this late comes with higher costs many times. I do feel badly for you, but I think your next cruise should have the cancel for any reason insurance as you suggested.

Someone on the roll call did offer to help. When we called Carnival and tried to add him to her room they mentioned that there was another room open. I was able to add him as a single in a separate room! Not sure if there was a loophole since we were adding him to a room rather than trying to do a new booking but it worked!! Cruise is still showing sold out but yes he did get on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums