Skipping Formal Nights to Alaska...

Debz62

After accepting the fact that packing cold weather clothing takes up more space than I anticipated, I've decided to skip both formal nights on our Alaskan cruise. My question is, is it possible to order room service from the MDR formal night menu? If so, who do I go about doing it? Is there a certain time I need to call? Or, do they serve the same MDR food at the Lido on formal nights?

Thanks for the information.

After accepting the fact that packing cold weather clothing takes up more space than I anticipated, I've decided to skip both formal nights on our Alaskan cruise. My question is, is it possible to order room service from the MDR formal night menu? If so, who do I go about doing it? Is there a certain time I need to call? Or, do they serve the same MDR food at the Lido on formal nights?

Thanks for the information.

The food is similar in the Lido Restaurant on Formal Nights. You will not find lobster tail in the Lido.

You can order the same meal served in the MDR to be served in your room by calling Room Service during the regular dinner hours in the MDR. Just let them know when you want it delivered. There is no limit to what you want (three appetizers, four soups, three desserts, two entrees). We have done that in the past and ordered two lobster tails and no filet mignon for each of us.

If you are in a Neptune Suite, you may order through the Concierge at any time for delivery at a time of your choosing.

Edited by Crew News

I believe if you call down around lunch time or early afternoon you will be able to order the dinner room service.

But i will say that I have been on 10 Alaska HAL cruises and number 11 coming up very soon :D And while Yes We are bringing formal wear and husband is bringing his Tux I can tell you that WE will be in the minority. Especially Alaska fewer people dress up for Formal nights. There will be many men in the Main Dining Room without jackets and ties. Ladies can actually dress up a little with just a black pair of pants and a dressy looking top, heck you can have just a plain black sweater and go buy some pearls for $5.99 at Burlington Coat Factory or Charming Charlies or even Target. We have seen everything from Long full gowns to a basic slacks and top on Formal nights during Alaska. I think anything you plan to wear a normal night in the dining room will pass right through the dining room on a formal night.

Wondering about ordering from the mdr menu for room service in a Neptune suite. I thought you had to order within the first half hour of the mdr opening. Because we are in a Neptune suite on the neiuw Amsterdam can we order at anytime?

I have a sneaking feeling that on one-week Alaska cruises this year, there may just be one formal night. I plan to suggest to DH that he just take his navy blue blazer to wear with grey slacks, and I am taking one basic pair of black pants that I can wear any night with a few different tops. I know my DSIL will dress down, and her hubby will just take his blazer, so we'll play along!:)

I guess I should check my express docs!:eek:

Wondering about ordering from the mdr menu for room service in a Neptune suite. I thought you had to order within the first half hour of the mdr opening. Because we are in a Neptune suite on the neiuw Amsterdam can we order at anytime?

Yes. We have always ordered through the Concierge as soon as we receive the menus in our mailbox (usually around 10:00 AM). This is the same procedure for even the casual nights in the MDR. Dinner on your verandah in nice weather is a special treat.

Edited by Crew News

I have a sneaking feeling that on one-week Alaska cruises this year, there may just be one formal night. I plan to suggest to DH that he just take his navy blue blazer to wear with grey slacks, and I am taking one basic pair of black pants that I can wear any night with a few different tops. I know my DSIL will dress down, and her hubby will just take his blazer, so we'll play along!:)

We have two Formal Nights on each of our 7-day Noordam Alaska cruises this month.

Yes. We have always ordered through the Concierge as soon as we receive the menus in our mailbox (usually around 10:00 AM). This is the same procedure for even the casual nights in the MDR. Dinner on your verandah in nice weather is a special treat.

Will they bring a table big enough for 6 if you are having dinner in your cabin? We are on the same cruise with you !!!! Getting excited.:D

Will they bring a table big enough for 6 if you are having dinner in your cabin? We are on the same cruise with you !!!! Getting excited.:D

When we did it in the stateroom, due to pending weather, they brought the verandah table inside the stateroom and set it up for us, table cloth, silver, plates, glasses, etc., was really nice:)

We've also just had them set the huge trays on the end of the bed and served ourselves... Depends on how we feel that day:)

Looking forward to meeting you also!!

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

You didn't mention which category cabin you will be in, but if you are in a Neptune Suite, the table that they can bring in from the verandah is tight for just 4 people. Certainly will not handle 6 people.

Taking one pair of black slacks and a couple of nice tops sounds like a plan. Perhaps we will go to the formal nights.