Confused about what ship to go on!

Hello everyone! I'm planning a trip at the moment for the end of May or early June and I'm currently conflicted about which ship to go on, at the moment I've considered some ships.

The Norwegian Epic: It's the ship that the person I'm traveling with wants to go on and I had convinced myself about before the consideration of the Emerald Princess and Carnival Glory came along, I've been with Norwegian before and I loved it, it was one of the best experiences of my life but I think that was the general cruise feeling and the people I met on it rather than the line it's self. :P (27th May 2015)

The Allure of the Seas: I have heard some wonderful things about this ship and it's the biggest passenger ship ever built! It's a floating city but I'm not sure if it's the right kind of ship for me. (?? May/June 2015)

The Emerald Princess: I've never really looked at this ship before or the line but from some of the pictures I've seen it's very beautiful and elegant and it goes to all of the places that the person I'm traveling with wants to go. (May/June 2015)

P&O Oceana: To me this ship doesn't look that alluring however the person I'm traveling with really likes where this ship goes but both of us know pretty much nothing about it. (May/June 2015)

Carnival Glory: The Carnival Glory only came into consideration for me after I found out that one of my close friends was planning a cruise around the same time I was, and of course I asked her which cruise it was and researched it, going on a cruise with one of my friends would be wonderful as the last time I was on a cruise with her (first time I have cruised) was very fun and we met some great people, however this goes around the Caribbean, which to me seems very nice but more of a beach kind of holiday and the person I'm traveling with doesn't really like it at this moment in time; the Carnival Glory also looks somewhat older and I don't know if it is for me however it seems a lot like the last ship I was on (The NCL Spirit) and I very much enjoyed that one. (30th May 2015)

Edited by JackAmphlett

The person I'm traveling with is very confused between the P&O Oceana and the Norwegian Epic however I'm more torn between the Carnival Glory, Emerald Princess and Norwegian Epic, any recommendations which one to go on?

The person I'm traveling with is very confused between the P&O Oceana and the Norwegian Epic however I'm more torn between the Carnival Glory, Emerald Princess and Norwegian Epic, any recommendations which one to go on?

Since your question pertains to the ship and not the itinerary, I would narrow it down by choosing the ship each of you mention: the NCL Epic. Try for a dining package, there is a great assortment of specialty restaurants to choose from. Your entertainment will be Cirque dinner show, Blue Man Group, Legends, Dueling Pianos, and Second City Comedy.

Since your question pertains to the ship and not the itinerary, I would narrow it down by choosing the ship each of you mention: the NCL Epic. Try for a dining package, there is a great assortment of specialty restaurants to choose from. Your entertainment will be Cirque dinner show, Blue Man Group, Legends, Dueling Pianos, and Second City Comedy.

Thanks for the response! That sounds good, the Epic isn't necessarily my first choice since it would be great to go on that cruise with my friend but I suppose.

I was only really worried about the actual ship as I will probably enjoy anywhere we go.

My main concerns are teen facilities (like meeting people) and the general atmosphere of the ship.

Thanks for the reply! :D

I think Carnival has a good teen program, IMHO, much better than RCCL/Norwegian/Princess.

I am a bit biased, but I would choose the Carnival Glory because it tends to do 4-ports on a 7-day cruise which is AWESOME. I don't think that the other ships do that, im positive that NCL Epic and Allure don't do that so... I would go with the Glory

Hello everyone! I'm planning a trip at the moment for the end of May or early June and I'm currently conflicted about which ship to go on, at the moment I've considered some ships.

The Norwegian Epic: It's the ship that the person I'm traveling with wants to go on and I had convinced myself about before the consideration of the Emerald Princess and Carnival Glory came along, I've been with Norwegian before and I loved it, it was one of the best experiences of my life but I think that was the general cruise feeling and the people I met on it rather than the line it's self. :P (27th May 2015)

The Allure of the Seas: I have heard some wonderful things about this ship and it's the biggest passenger ship ever built! It's a floating city but I'm not sure if it's the right kind of ship for me. (?? May/June 2015)

The Emerald Princess: I've never really looked at this ship before or the line but from some of the pictures I've seen it's very beautiful and elegant and it goes to all of the places that the person I'm traveling with wants to go. (May/June 2015)

P&O Oceana: To me this ship doesn't look that alluring however the person I'm traveling with really likes where this ship goes but both of us know pretty much nothing about it. (May/June 2015)

Carnival Glory: The Carnival Glory only came into consideration for me after I found out that one of my close friends was planning a cruise around the same time I was, and of course I asked her which cruise it was and researched it, going on a cruise with one of my friends would be wonderful as the last time I was on a cruise with her (first time I have cruised) was very fun and we met some great people, however this goes around the Caribbean, which to me seems very nice but more of a beach kind of holiday and the person I'm traveling with doesn't really like it at this moment in time; the Carnival Glory also looks somewhat older and I don't know if it is for me however it seems a lot like the last ship I was on (The NCL Spirit) and I very much enjoyed that one. (30th May 2015)

That's an easy on one ALLURE.

Thank you for all the responses, they're really helpful and it seems that the Glory is the most popular choice at the moment.

Welcome to Cruise Critic? :)

Where are you planning to cruse? Keep in mind, some cruise line don't do the Caribbean the time you're considering cruising.

LuLu

Yeah, personally I don't mind where we go, however the person I'm traveling wants to go around the Mediterranean.

I would go with the Glory as well. It has the added bonus of having your friend there. To me, that would be way more important than the ship.

Yeah, it does seem to be a huge positive, especially all the great things I've heard about the Glory here.

I think Carnival has a good teen program, IMHO, much better than RCCL/Norwegian/Princess.

I am a bit biased, but I would choose the Carnival Glory because it tends to do 4-ports on a 7-day cruise which is AWESOME. I don't think that the other ships do that, im positive that NCL Epic and Allure don't do that so... I would go with the Glory

Oh really? I never knew that, the teen program on the NCL Spirit was quite good, I mean the activities weren't amazing but the staff were great and I met some great people and just walked around with them but I suppose that's just something that happens and you can't plan that. Haha.

That's an easy on one ALLURE.

Why do you say that? :O

Emerald Princess would be my choice for the Mediterranean! Princess has a very good teen program. My teen grandchildren never have a problem meeting others their ages on Princess ships.

In fact, Princess provides an excellent "all around" cruise experience for all age groups. :)

Emerald Princess is one of our very favorite ships. We are booked on her again for 19 days in January. :)

Lots from the UK cruise on Princess! ;)

LuLu

Emerald Princess would be my choice for the Mediterranean! Princess has a very good teen program. My teen grandchildren never have a problem meeting others their ages on Princess ships.

In fact, Princess provides an excellent "all around" cruise experience for all age groups. :)

Emerald Princess is one of our very favorite ships. We are booked on her again for 19 days in January. :)

Lots from the UK cruise on Princess! ;)

LuLu

Haha thanks! I've never been on a Princess cruise before, I'll look at the Emerald Princess some more.

Based on this so far I think it comes down to either the Epic (although some say not), the Emerald Princess or the Carnival Glory. This is so difficult, haha.

Okay, well, everything has changed again and it seems that my friend isn't going on the Carnival Glory because it got too expensive or something, she is going later on in June/July on so I don't know whether to wait and go on another cruise with her around that date or just go on another cruise around the same date.

Also, the person I'm traveling with has suggested the Island Princess too on it's first voyage around Europe for 2 weeks, so that's confusing.

It is...very hard to choose. I have been on one of the former Rennaisance ships (which I think but am not sure is like the Island Princess) with a TA friend for a ship inspection.

If it is one of these former ships..like I am sure Pacific Princess is...they can really be a good service smaller ship good value situation...closer to luxury cruising due to size and still mass market prices.... but nice mass market...I would love to do Med on one of them...Happy choosing...personally there is choice..Carnival is most budget but wonderful in many ways...

I am not sure with teenagers however on those smaller Princess ships...check the Princess thread..I love the Princess elegant factor for the price.

Since you were not as tied to area but ship...folks had one confusing vote but now that aiming more for Med..mixed with being from England...I think you may love that smaller Princess ship still with the spa and specialty restaurant..they have some beautiful decor and public rooms....

I also think the new friend on the large Epic would be fun due to all your choices..even more than Allure I think for private restaurants but a hare less fancy..mind your budget though due to afore mentioned "no fee" now with fee increases...if you love room service etc.

The big Allure Oasis ships are a choice and category of their own and like everything really..have to be tried to see if you like...a huge hotel city on water...and one of a kind situation..even larger than these Epic like NCL ships.

I want to go on all but know more than have been on due to TA friend and reading here...Welcome to CC.

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Jack .... Island Princess (along w/sister ship, Coral Princess) were especially designed and built to go through the Panama Canal -- very long & narrow but certainly not small ships. We've loved our cruises on her. :)

She has been in dry dock in Europe ( changes being made) and will be doing the Med cruises this summer. Then, she'll be going back to her normal Panama Canal sailings.

You would enjoy also posting your questions on the Princess Forum here on Cruise Critic where you will get more accurate and helpful replies on Princess ships. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Jack .... Island Princess (along w/sister ship, Coral Princess) were especially designed and built to go through the Panama Canal -- very long & narrow but certainly not small ships. We've loved our cruises on her. :)

She has been in dry dock in Europe ( changes being made) and will be doing the Med cruises this summer. Then, she'll be going back to her normal Panama Canal sailings.

You would enjoy also posting your questions on the Princess Forum here on Cruise Critic where you will get more accurate and helpful replies on Princess ships. :)

LuLu

woops..thanks for correction...Sarah

I just wanted to mention that the Epic no longer has the Blue Man Group on it :(. They finished their contract back in April just prior to being switched from the Caribbean to Europe. I really haven't been keeping up with what's going on with her, so I don't know what they have now for the entertainment to replace BM.

OP-I have only been on the Epic out of these choices so I can only offer my experience. I first cruised in the 80's (with NCL) and 90's (with RC) and then didn't cruise again until 2010...and it was the Epic...and it blew me away! I absolutely LOVED the ship and it continues to be my favorite ship to date. Now...I do have to say that I'm really not sure the reason behind that. Was it because it was my first "real" cruise after being away for so long and the ships had changed so much? Was it because it was my hubbys first cruise ever? Was it because it's the only cruise we've had without our daughter (who started cruising with us when she was 3 and is now 7)? Was the the AWESOME entertainment (yea, I'm sure that was part of it, but then again, it had Blue Man)? I'm honestly not sure, but she's still my favorite ship to date and of the fleet! (Even after sailing the new Getaway). You will find that the Epic is one of those ships that most people either absolutely love or absolutely hate! There doesn't seem to be an "in between". LOL :D

I do have a very short review in my signature line (I didn't do huge reviews with hundreds of pictures back then like I do now) but it does have some pics and maybe a link to others in it (it it still works). :)

I just wanted to mention that the Epic no longer has the Blue Man Group on it :(. They finished their contract back in April just prior to being switched from the Caribbean to Europe. I really haven't been keeping up with what's going on with her, so I don't know what they have now for the entertainment to replace BM.

OP-I have only been on the Epic out of these choices so I can only offer my experience. I first cruised in the 80's (with NCL) and 90's (with RC) and then didn't cruise again until 2010...and it was the Epic...and it blew me away! I absolutely LOVED the ship and it continues to be my favorite ship to date. Now...I do have to say that I'm really not sure the reason behind that. Was it because it was my first "real" cruise after being away for so long and the ships had changed so much? Was it because it was my hubbys first cruise ever? Was it because it's the only cruise we've had without our daughter (who started cruising with us when she was 3 and is now 7)? Was the the AWESOME entertainment (yea, I'm sure that was part of it, but then again, it had Blue Man)? I'm honestly not sure, but she's still my favorite ship to date and of the fleet! (Even after sailing the new Getaway). You will find that the Epic is one of those ships that most people either absolutely love or absolutely hate! There doesn't seem to be an "in between". LOL :D

I do have a very short review in my signature line (I didn't do huge reviews with hundreds of pictures back then like I do now) but it does have some pics and maybe a link to others in it (it it still works). :)

Ooh thanks for telling me about the Blue Man Group! They didn't seem to mention that at all, I wonder what they have now.

But yea, I know how you feel, my first cruise (that I remember) was back in November and it was so amazing even though the ship was a bit old and not particularly big or small, it was mid-large sized.

I think the Epic is definitely a good choice at the moment and I'll look at the reviews, I'm sure I won't hate the Epic, we both really like Norwegian's freestyle kind of feeling and the Epic seems to be more modern and bigger than the Spirit that we really loved.

It's a bit scary traveling with only two people and in the evening we'll probably be off doing our own thing, which is why meeting people is definitely one of the things I'm concerned about, but I managed to do it on the Spirit in November so I'm sure I can do it now. :D

Ooh thanks for telling me about the Blue Man Group! They didn't seem to mention that at all, I wonder what they have now.

But yea, I know how you feel, my first cruise (that I remember) was back in November and it was so amazing even though the ship was a bit old and not particularly big or small, it was mid-large sized.

I think the Epic is definitely a good choice at the moment and I'll look at the reviews, I'm sure I won't hate the Epic, we both really like Norwegian's freestyle kind of feeling and the Epic seems to be more modern and bigger than the Spirit that we really loved.

It's a bit scary traveling with only two people and in the evening we'll probably be off doing our own thing, which is why meeting people is definitely one of the things I'm concerned about, but I managed to do it on the Spirit in November so I'm sure I can do it now. :D

Just so you know...the Spirit was our 2nd ship sailed after the Epic and to this date, it's one of my favorite "smaller" ships. She may be older, but she was still beautiful and so different than the rest of the NCL fleet with her Asian flare. I love the Spirit. :)

I think the main complaints about the Epic (and not sure if this will be a factor for you or not) is the design of the balcony rooms. They curve, which means the beds curve too and for tall people, it's kinda weird. The other problem is the shower area has a glass door on it...for everyone in the room to see you. WE did not have a problem since it was just the hubby and I in the room AND we had 2 of the studio rooms that connected...which were super cool! So if you travel with children, people were having to make up a "schedule" for showering and such (which I know you said it was just the 2 of you, but this has been a factor in the past for those with children or traveling with family other than a spouse). Those were the main complaints most people had. Then others wanted to complain about the upper front of the ship or what we called the "hat" on her. People didn't like the way it looked and thought it was ugly. I myself...when I was in port, I KNEW which ship was mine by just glancing at her. LOL I didn't mind the look at all. But, the ship did get enough complaints about the design that they (NCL) canceled making their second ship (Epic 2 lol) just like her. :p

Make sure you join the roll call on here and attend the meet and greets with whatever ship you decide on. Joining the roll call lets everyone chatter away and get to know each other prior to the cruise...then that anticipation of meeting everyone at the meet & greet on the ship after talking to each other behind a computer screen is great. You put a face to the name. I have met some WONDERFUL life long friends from my cruises and roll calls. Some I talk to daily either online, by email, by text and even calling. We send birthday & Christmas gifts and cards. We even plan MORE CRUISES together and I have been on many cruises with repeat friends I met on a previous cruise. :D You just never know. :)

Just so you know...the Spirit was our 2nd ship sailed after the Epic and to this date, it's one of my favorite "smaller" ships. She may be older, but she was still beautiful and so different than the rest of the NCL fleet with her Asian flare. I love the Spirit. :)

I think the main complaints about the Epic (and not sure if this will be a factor for you or not) is the design of the balcony rooms. They curve, which means the beds curve too and for tall people, it's kinda weird. The other problem is the shower area has a glass door on it...for everyone in the room to see you. WE did not have a problem since it was just the hubby and I in the room AND we had 2 of the studio rooms that connected...which were super cool! So if you travel with children, people were having to make up a "schedule" for showering and such (which I know you said it was just the 2 of you, but this has been a factor in the past for those with children or traveling with family other than a spouse). Those were the main complaints most people had. Then others wanted to complain about the upper front of the ship or what we called the "hat" on her. People didn't like the way it looked and thought it was ugly. I myself...when I was in port, I KNEW which ship was mine by just glancing at her. LOL I didn't mind the look at all. But, the ship did get enough complaints about the design that they (NCL) canceled making their second ship (Epic 2 lol) just like her. :p

Make sure you join the roll call on here and attend the meet and greets with whatever ship you decide on. Joining the roll call lets everyone chatter away and get to know each other prior to the cruise...then that anticipation of meeting everyone at the meet & greet on the ship after talking to each other behind a computer screen is great. You put a face to the name. I have met some WONDERFUL life long friends from my cruises and roll calls. Some I talk to daily either online, by email, by text and even calling. We send birthday & Christmas gifts and cards. We even plan MORE CRUISES together and I have been on many cruises with repeat friends I met on a previous cruise. :D You just never know. :)

Okay thanks! I will join the roll call once I decide what ship to go on, but I'm pretty sure of the Epic now, unless my friend finds out what cruise she's going on before I go! :D

Okay thanks! I will join the roll call once I decide what ship to go on, but I'm pretty sure of the Epic now, unless my friend finds out what cruise she's going on before I go! :D

Whatever ship you decide, have a wonderful cruise! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness it gets more confusing, we've kind of decided that we're either going on the Norwegian Epic or the Norwegian Spirit for a second time now, the only thing I'm a bit worried about on the Spirit is that we go to all the same places in reverse order.

The person I'm traveling with really wants to go around the places again to really enjoy them but I'm not sure about it, there's also the whole memory thing about the Spirit.