What is Royal Caribbean doing with the viking crown lounges?

Why is Royal Caribbean deleting the viking crown lounges on some ships and putting it on their new ships???

Viking Crown was not part of Quantum class from the beginning, but the structure has not been removed from any ship. The function has changed on Oasis class, and is no longer a public lounge.

What ship did Royal Caribbean remove the Viking Crown Lounge from?

What Clarea said is what i meant, they juse the structure for something else.

The structure on Harmony will be there but no Viking crown lounge in it.

It's a bit of a shame that the Viking Crown lounge is not part of the Quantum Class and that access on other vessels has been restricted. The Viking Crown lounge was a trademark of the Royal Caribbean ships. I guess they have not been fully utilized by the general public in recent years and understand RC's desire to utilize the space to generate income. (like it or not)

I remember the Viking Crown on the Song of Norway and Nordic Prince...You had to access them from an outside stairway. Hold onto your skirts ladies!

Edited by Janet524

Viking Crown was not part of Quantum class from the beginning, but the structure has not been removed from any ship. The function has changed on Oasis class, and is no longer a public lounge.

Bob

I would predict that the Viking Crown function will be no longer public on most ships in the next couple years except for the short cruises.:)

Bob

I would predict that the Viking Crown function will be no longer public on most ships in the next couple years except for the short cruises.:)

If not totally non-public, then mostly non-public like what they did to Legend and Splendour.

Original Viking Crown Lounges -- It only held 30 people

VikingCrownLoungeontheNordicPrince-.jpg

The original ones were such a distinctive trademark, they were removed when the ships were sold. The advertising at the time called them a marvel of engineering

It's a bit of a shame that the Viking Crown lounge is not part of the Quantum Class and that access on other vessels has been restricted. The Viking Crown lounge was a trademark of the Royal Caribbean ships. I guess they have not been fully utilized by the general public in recent years and understand RC's desire to utilize the space to generate income. (like it or not)

I felt the same way you do before I sailed the Quantum. But now after experiencing it I have to say that I love Two70 more than the VCL.

I typically sail on the big ships, and the last few years the Viking Crown always seemed comparatively empty. I never fully understood why-- such a great view. But if it was underutilized, I don't blame them for finding a new use.

I never fully understood why-- such a great view. But if it was underutilized, I don't blame them for finding a new use.

They almost never open the bar in a VCL until 4pm or so, and I think that's the problem. It's a chicken and egg thing: they don't open the bar earlier because nobody's there, and nobody's there because they don't open the bar. I know DW and I have often went to the Schooner or some other lounge in the morning or afternoon because it was open, when we would have much rather gone to the VCL, but we sure as heck aren't going to waste half our time there schlepping drinks back and forth from another bar.

Such a shame. I love the Viking Crown. Great view and quiet. 270 doesn't seem as intimate to me. I don't like loud, crowded venues when I'm drinking.

Agreed. We've tried to head up to the Viking Crown on all our cruises, typically at sail away. Great view, quiet, easy to get a drink. That's one of my bigger disappointments lately with RCCL is the making more of it private.

As RCI will be improving suite amenities The Viking Crown lounge would seem to me to be the easiest way to put a 'suite class' restaurant on freedom and voyager class ships.

It would therefore make sense to swap the diamond and concierge lounges around to keep all suite amenities in the VCL

Just a thought?

As RCI will be improving suite amenities The Viking Crown lounge would seem to me to be the easiest way to put a 'suite class' restaurant on freedom and voyager class ships.

It would therefore make sense to swap the diamond and concierge lounges around to keep all suite amenities in the VCL

Just a thought?

I hate to see more public space removed from Viking Crown.

Two70 is a million times better than VCL. It's bright during the day and multipurpose at night. So much better. Plus the Cafe Two70 is good too

Is there any view forward?

Original Viking Crown Lounges -- It only held 30 people

VikingCrownLoungeontheNordicPrince-.jpg

The original ones were such a distinctive trademark, they were removed when the ships were sold. The advertising at the time called them a marvel of engineering

It does look very strange when an ex-RCI ship with a new company with the Viking Crown Lounge. Saw a computer generated Splendour of the Seas in TUI livery, it just doesn't look right.

Two70 is a million times better than VCL. It's bright during the day and multipurpose at night. So much better. Plus the Cafe Two70 is good too

I agree with this. We found Viking Crown lounge woefully underused on Oasis class and really lacking in atmosphere. 270 is a wonderful place with so many uses at whatever time of day. It's a great venue for breakfast and lunch as well.

Unlike a post above we never had problem finding a quiet space during the day. The top level (with the library) is a particularly nice quiet spot.

There is no view forward but a great view of the aft

• 2 years later...
Is there any Viking Crown Lounge available to new cruisers on "Serenade of the Seas"?

Looks like most of the space is taken by "concierge" and diamond club".

There is still space up in Viking Crown on Serenade for all guests.

There is still space up in Viking Crown on Serenade for all guests.

But, I do B2B2B2B2 every Fall on Serenade, 7n color tour, Repo 12n, 10n, 11n, 10n, and these longer cruises on her there is lot of Diamonds/Diamond Pluses and most nites Crown Lounge ends up being the upper tier over flow.

Coastal Kitchen is nice use of space on Allure. We did not really like the atmosphere in the suite lounge in the port side of the space - nice view but the furniture was a little shabby and the people in it ignored dress codes, had kids running in circles and it was noisy. Guess we are getting a little older - we prefered the Diamond Club and hung out there. Think that space is actually nicer for a lounge. I do wonder how much longer they will have Diamond Clubs - the three free drinks on our cards each night might be a stalking horse for just forcing us out into the bars.