Roayl Caribbean and Celebrity follow suit and them some on DSC...

cliffd64

I have no problem with an increased gratuity rate and service charge rate since those amounts go directly to the crew and not to NCL. I have worked for tips and I have worked onboard ships and neither life is easy, I can only imagine that doing both is even tougher. (And it is possible that Royal and Celebrity followed suit to prevent losing their talented staff to NCL.)

I think the amount charged is reasonable and much less than many resorts on land we go to, and the resorts on land do not provide the types of services found on a cruise.

I hope I am never so hard up to complain about 95 cents per day, but I do see people complain that services are getting worse while prices rise. I hope that service quality remains consistent or improves for the increased charges; I think that is a fair request. A steward on our last cruise told us all the money goes into the pool and they only get some of it. I think that causes complaints from people too.

For the most part, we have not seen service go down, in fact we have been more than satisfied with our service, both in the MDR, the cabins and elsewhere. Yes, there will always be those who should find another job, they aren't suited for the cruise world it appears.

As for the stewards only getting part of the money, of course that is all they get. It is devided between several different crew positions, but management does not get any of it or so we have been told.

IMO, of the recent NCL changes, raising DSC is the least significant. If that's the only change RCCL makes, it won't affect my decision to book with them in the least. Some of NCL's changes are a different story.

The DSC change is minimal. Just don't go around changing your room service or where people can take their food, you other cruise lines, or people will start looking for other places to spend their vacation dollars.

As a first time NCL cruiser, the added DSC isn't a problem, hopefully the underpaid staff will benefit, however the nursery school rule about taking food to your cabin is ridiculous. While I do not recall bringing food back to our cabin, it should be a choice not a mandate. I have brought lunch from the buffet to my lounge chair by the pool however.

Not a good move for those who want a "freestyle " vacation.

I think in the case of NCL it was a whole slew of negative changes all at once, plus the rather underhanded way in which they were communicated that really pissed people off. Other cruise lines seem better with communication and are smarter than implementing too many unfriendly polices and changes at one time.

Have you jumped over to the other threads to see the reaction from their members? Do you remember when the DSC was raised earlier this year? There was outrage and a lot of people said they were jumping to another line. Whenever changes take place, especially when it affects our purse strings, we are inclined to over react. That is the point. The bottom line is: we don't want to spend any money we do not have to spend and the cruise lines are going to do what is needed to make money.

Other than the not bringing food back to your cabin, I don't see any problems with any of the changes. The bottom line, look at the price you are paying for your cruise, add what you will be paying on board and for excursions and compare with comparable lines: see where you money is going? My guess, you will still find NCL a good value. The same as cruising is a good value compared to other types of vacations.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Have you jumped over to the other threads to see the reaction from their members? Do you remember when the DSC was raised earlier this year? There was outrage and a lot of people said they were jumping to another line. Whenever changes take place, especially when it affects our purse strings, we are inclined to over react. That is the point. The bottom line is: we don't want to spend any money we do not have to spend and the cruise lines are going to do what is needed to make money.

Other than the not bringing food back to your cabin, I don't see any problems with any of the changes. The bottom line, look at the price you are paying for your cruise, add what you will be paying on board and for excursions and compare with comparable lines: see where you money is going? My guess, you will still find NCL a good value. The same as cruising is a good value compared to other types of vacations.

That is so true on all points - The irony of what 3 months with the other changes can do to make one realize that DSC increase wasn't the worst 'evil' of the them all, lol.

Yeah that was a melt down. But not really much about the gratuity.

They have plenty other things they melt down at and yes, this gratuity thing is minor but it does seem the heat is rising as more and more people are starting threads about it.

They have not recovered from the thought of DD and drink prices. :p

Wait-I do remember the outrage when late night service charge was added for Room service on RCCL so you really can't blame the NCL folks as Royal would be even steven if that was implemented on Royal on the outrage fest scale!!! :p

Minded linking the article because I think that also hearsay too....Just saying and considering the claims on other boards that John Heald does not like CC posters much, some solid info regarding increase being not true is needed....

I will paraphrase one of your more "polite" comments.

If you can find CC, you can surely find the reference you want. Try the Carnival board if you are still curious and/or confused.

I think the biggest problem with NCL as other posters have stated is the lack of communication. RCL raised their DSC, but have yet to start double dipping. The waiters in the specialty restaurants are not included in the DSC on RCL. It is my understanding that they receive a portion of the fare from the specialty restaurant. So, not only did NCL raise the DSC (no big deal in my opinion) but they also added 18% gratuity to the specialty restaurants. Previously the waiters in the specialties were included in the DSC. If the increases do go to the staff (which I am skeptical of) they should be getting a nice raise with less employees in the pool.

RCL's increases and changes seem to be well communicated and pretty tame. I do not like how NCL did not grandfather customers in that were within final payment. Right now I am booked on the Escape to attend a friend's wedding. I have very mixed emotions about this cruise. On the one hand I am very excited to be on this ship. On the other hand I am not happy about doing business with a company that does not appreciate it's customers.