Best time to go

mweger

We are first time cruiser and we are going to book the 6 night Caribbean cruise on the Breeze. I'm having trouble deciding when to go..... August or September. Does has anyone that has traveled at that time to the Caribbean like/ dislike the weather. Is it still really hot, rainy, etc ??

Aug and Sept are hurricane season so weather could be all over the place, but when I cruised in Sept it was still hot. Personally I prefer to sail in the winter months. Usually cheaper and the weather is still 70-80's.

Edited by vwrestler171

With the way the weather has been the past two years one never knows now, but honestly, I been on 56 cruises so far and my favorite is during May, September thru October. I don't mind hurricanes because ships go around them, you can't predict any longer when these will happen so out of August and September I must say September DEFINATELY! August you will have more kids and more younger people, my children are grown up so I avoid when kids go on cruises most. The prices do come down in September also and the weather isn't as hot and humid.

We are first time cruiser and we are going to book the 6 night Caribbean cruise on the Breeze. I'm having trouble deciding when to go..... August or September. Does has anyone that has traveled at that time to the Caribbean like/ dislike the weather. Is it still really hot, rainy, etc ??

you will indeed have lower pricing end of August - September since all schools are open. Will still be in 80's daytimes... not sure about rain

Not the best time to go it will be hot and very humid and your in the middle of hurricane season.

we have sailed every season and you can get bad storms at sea anytime of the year!!::)

we just pick the cheapest time of the year or when our friends or family can cruise!:) and hope for the best!!

Prime hurricane season is the near the end of August until near the end of September. Having said that, I have sailed in August and it's been ok.

I know hurricane season goes from June 1 until Nov 30 and I have sailed many times near the end of the season. I just don't schedule for the peak time, but many years there haven't been any hurricanes during that time.

yes it is a peak hurricane time in that region, but also know that the ship/captain/crew will not sail their ship right into an approaching hurricane. If there is one in the vicinity, they may change a port of call or two, or even switch from eastern itin to western.

I was once on a September cruise, and we were told on boarding that our itinerary would be changing from east to west due to weather, yet once I was on board ship, a few hours later, the announcement was made that we were back on original itinerary, due to a downgrade in weather system.

I always say for me and advice to others, if you cruise in that time frame, be prepared for a change in itinerary, or maybe even miss a port, just be prepared for changes. If you are not comfortable with possible changes due to the weather issues at that time of year, then pick another time.

I still cruise mostly Sept to Nov, because the prices work for me.

A hurricane could result in last-second itinerary changes. So if you care about where you're going, you won't want to book around September. November seems to be a good time. Even though it's still hurricane season, it's rare to get one that late. The weather is usually perfect in Florida on down to the Caribbean. Not too hot, not cool yet. Before Thanksgiving in November has good rates. Between Thanksgiving & Christmas tends to have even better rates, although the weather could be a little cool by then. April seems to be great for weather. Rates are a little higher than Nov-Dec, but not nearly as high as they are in March (prime Spring Break time). I have experienced regular non-hurricane storms at all these times, so it's hard to say which month is best to avoid rain.

Living in Florida I can only recommend May and June for the best cruise weather. June tends to be the most expensive because school is out and the weather is best.

Starting July it tends to get stormy here even when there are no Hurricanes out in the Atlantic. August and September are the worse month but the cheapest which tells you something.

The only way I would book a cruise in August or September is on last minute if you know there are no Hurricanes brewing out in the Atlantic and by that i mean 2 days before and even like that I tend to get nervous.

Storms not only can make you seasick but ruin lots of the outdoor activities including not being able to port at most of the islands thereby having to stay on the ship all day. That being said most storms do not last much more then 24 hours unless there is a hurricane in the area.

We went on a cruise one time in July and hit a storm and the waves were 12 to 15 feet and I was so so sick and the line to the ship hospital was a block long with everyone throwing up all over the place what a nighmare but i have to say out of 15 cruises only one was ever that bad the rest you took some meds and got thru it but it was not a good experience and i would hate someone to dislike a cruise when they could have picked a better time. Nonetheless whatever you pick have fun and you will.

Being a Canadian- I cruise to get way from the cold weather. So Jan/Feb is our preferred time. I have cruised in November too and it was lovely.

I wouldn't worry about hurricane season too much...that's one of the beautiful things about cruising- "Hurricane?- let sail around that!!"

We cruised last year on the 6 day Breeze cruise in September. We ran into rain on one day and that was in Cozumel. It didn't affect our plans or our cruise, we had a great time. We did an excursion which kept us from being outdoors for an extended time. I too would choose September over August because of the amount of children on board.

You picked an excellent ship for your first cruise. My only peeve was the time went so fast and I couldn't do everything I wanted because it was only six days. I want to go back and try the eight day on the Breeze but since there are so many ships I don't know when that will happen.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I have been on cruises in January, February, March, June, July, August and November.

My favorite month to cruise is March, the very last week. The one thing that stands out in my mind is in March I can walk from my deck chair to the pool without shoes and not scorch the soles of my feet or walk on some hot sandy beach.

We have never had bad weather in March. It's not as humid as the summer months, though the ocean water is a bit cooler. Instead of 80-85 degrees it can be 72-73. I'm used to that though since I'm at the Jersey shore in the hotter months and sometimes you'll get a summer where the water temps there never get above 72-73 degrees.

Bottom line is, I'll cruise whenever, wherever, and will love every second of my vacation.

DH and I are cruising for the first time leaving August 31st. We are from Louisiana so we are very well aware of hurricane season but we picked this time because there would be less children with school just having started again.

We are used to the warm weather regardless and we would love some cooler weather but a less crowded cruise ship won out over a cooler time of year.