Reporting Semi-Live from NCL Gem 5-23-15

seadog67

If you haven't already tried it the Raspberry Guava Mojito is really good - my favorite on the Sugarcane Mojito Bar menu.

Have a wonderful day .... we'll be there in spirit with you.

Seadog, maybe you just have to do the mojito flight...

This would make an incredible screen background! Your right, that is a good idea, though not sure how well the iphone photo will scale to a larger screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saying, some of the photos are really great - configure it as a moving slide show, changing & updating every 10 or 15 minutes, or whatever. Those working in corporate/gov't offices with IT lurking, it's usually a big "no" in customization but for the rest, or one's personal laptop/notebook/netbook - very cool vs. $soft's bouncing balls screen savers.

Your photos should be just fine even at the condensed 1024 by 768 resolution - originals taken by the iPhone should be higher resolution than that - even 1024 by 768 will look good on the average 19" to 22" monitor (ours a 24" for home office)

One last request, could you check the adult pool's depth if you will be scrolling by as I'm looking at the recent drowning update, saying it's 6' 6" in the deeper end, which sounded a bit off - or, perhaps take a photo or two if you don't mind. A warm day in NY, must be full "deck" upstairs - enjoying that last fun day at sea.

What's cooking for lunch ? Any BBQ going on at all - missed the pork chops & BBQ ribs in the old days, poolside with live band music :cool: Oh, boy - I need to find some lamb chops today - lobster prices still high on land, going into high season already - waiting for some 2 to 2.5 lbs. soft shells, yummy. Those would not be on the ships, however - just dreaming :D:D

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

(memo to anyone sailing, Tapatalk is an excellent tool - to upload/download & stay updated on happenings on CC, etc. - server is fast & very easy to transfer images to share, don't need to use other Cloud storage as storage medium and very lean with data usage, whether it's paid WiFi or mobile data. )

Sorry it's last minute, but could you post pictures of the departure times/colors. I remember last time on the Breakaway, I could have left much earlier, but I scheduled the car service pickup very late and ended up waiting a while on the ship.

Thank you so much for posting the additional photos of the suite (bed and little couch area). Looking forward to seeing photo of Coka's Gem-It Mermaid and her good luck treasures on display in the bridge viewing room.

You may not have one of the little door hang tag breakfast room service menus since you are in a suite but could you possibly request one from your room steward and photo it for us? I'm talking about the one that shows complimentary items available before 10 or 10:30 am ..... the newest one :) I know what we order (prebreakfast of coffee, juice and chocolate croissant (me) /bran muffin (dh) is still included in cruise fare so asking for other cc members.

If you haven't already tried it the Raspberry Guava Mojito is really good - my favorite on the Sugarcane Mojito Bar menu.

Have a wonderful day .... we'll be there in spirit with you.

Thanks kjquilts! Heading to the viewing room after lunch, just been packing and relaxing on the balcony, more relaxing than packing lol.

Stateroom Breakfast card. The suites have a card also but is different:

f1b2717d166fe29ef1e452093daa6d2a.jpg

1584d2f76b1f1a66386f7979b8d08c17.jpg

I dont know how you hang it maybe place it on the door sign?

Going to try a flavored mojito later today as our pre dinner drink , thanks for the recommendation!

Seadog, maybe you just have to do the mojito flight...

I just may [emoji3] i never realized there were different mojitos until yesterday doh!

When someone asked if they had a tasting earlier this week ( i forget who) I first thought there is only one mojito, now I see i was a babe in the woods lol!

The flight it will be, thanks for the recommendations!

Thank you again for posting the dailies.

I noticed on the 1st page of the Day 7 daily they mention "Steamship" as a culinary term. What the heck is that?

I am not sure either, maybe steamers in the buffet for dinner? I will try to swing in tonight to see.

One last request, could you check the adult pool's depth if you will be scrolling by as I'm looking at the recent drowning update, saying it's 6' 6" in the deeper end, which sounded a bit off - or, perhaps take a photo or two if you don't mind. A warm day in NY, must be full "deck" upstairs - enjoying that last fun day at sea.

What's cooking for lunch ? Any BBQ going on at all - missed the pork chops & BBQ ribs in the old days, poolside with live band music :cool: Oh, boy - I need to find some lamb chops today - lobster prices still high on land, going into high season already - waiting for some 2 to 2.5 lbs. soft shells, yummy. Those would not be on the ships, however -

Thanks mking. Here is a pic as best I could get of the pools and they are 4'11"

43a6ec95c2623de3eb172aaa91976391.jpg

I am 6-1 and that seems about correct as it came to my shoulders or lower neck.

BBQ today

Corn on the cobb

06e2f693939a8e946463120b775100c8.jpg

Asian noodles

3536fa2bb7d059bb41e75b923c10a272.jpg

Tandori chicken

c7c86e1b3130b679405c3521a00878af.jpg

Grilled pineapple

3ed26f8d92a6467abc0f3426d44586e4.jpg

Sorry it's last minute, but could you post pictures of the departure times/colors. I remember last time on the Breakaway, I could have left much earlier, but I scheduled the car service pickup very late and ended up waiting a while on the ship.

Here are the colors and times for departure:

7a8804984922d67b10d02e6e1bab7218.jpg

Have an aft MS one floor above you in February. Hope the dirt and grime from the Great Outdoors isn't so bad that we won't enjoy the balcony.

We have spent a good part of several days out there, so it by no means dampened our enjoyment of the balcony. Just something I noticed and thought could be cleaned more.

Have a great time! February is a fun month as we had snow on deck one time sailing in February leaving ny!

I am getting sad....I will so miss "your" cruise...:D

I somehow know the feeling jaja lol [emoji3]

You cannot see them clearly on this vid but we caught a pod of dolphins off the rear port side. You can see one breach a bit with many more further down

https://vimeo.com/129241292

This vid show somewhat what we call diamonds on the sea. The sunlight twinkling on the waves looks like diamonds to us [emoji3] left side shows the best.

https://vimeo.com/129241723

One the way to the viewing room just forward of the pool on deck 12 there are the

5826afe768b0192acd023835399dd594.jpg

ccd6b946f5c4a90bd04ea0eff174b932.jpg

And the

c732831497f537abedac8d65a90f81b8.jpg

Shhh be very quiet..

c5e485ea7306e7f2891d132cdfc71afa.jpg

Right outside these rooms is a display of all the plaques presented to the Gem for each inaugural visit to each port of call it visits:

265a2ed55ad2c34686bf4ed8e0d8f537.jpg

ad12407a8fb604bddf42027c1260f0f1.jpg

A few more (glare makes clear pictures hard to get)

576a7fa709aec04774c494d02923443d.jpg

e68e5f8b80fccaaa3a62b01e7978cd74.jpg

1494b76e23a978cc09f75efbb14eec45.jpg

They also have pictures and displays of historic classic ocean liners

12dde8e81e88e551ac0e862e327d2c3d.jpg

71a806fb6f55e7cee1127857ea24e14b.jpg

fe91a15a5b94fab885a9961a6d26f6e7.jpg

They have one of the USS United States which currently sits moored in Philadelphia PA on the Delaware River just rotting. I have passed by several times as we do not live very far from there and she is a beautiful looking ship even in here current condition.

Thank you so much for the Mermaid photos as well as all the other photos you posted. This has been such an enjoyable live cruise report with almost instant gratification on requests to you. Enjoy your sunset tonight along with those mojitos.

Thanks mking. Here is a pic as best I could get of the pools and they are 4'11" I am 6-1 and that seems about correct as it came to my shoulders or lower neck.

BBQ today

Corn on the cobb

Asian noodles

Tandori chicken

Grilled pineapple

Thank you so much, that's more likely - virtually the same as the Breakway at 5' even, with the salt water moving around a bit at sea.

No pork chops or BBQ ribs today and the pool deck is packed full, the few remaining chairs claimed by the blue towels. That's not a good way to try to cook, season & prepare noodles, Asian or otherwise - with consistency - and to do it right, they need high heat which I don't see, anywhere, very informative along with the tons of pictures (never too much :D :p )

How's that Asian restaurant at dinner time, have you walked by & see how long the lines & wait time are ?? There is interest here on CC to get a snapshot of the current menu, since "rumors" have it that a few goodies are gone & not replaced - knowing that you don't mind if you got time, one or two more photo upload will be much obliged. Thanks.

GEM must be doing a slow cruise - 14 to 16 knots ?? - close to the coast for the dolphins to come near & play along as they don't venture far out in the Atlantic.