Cape Liberty Parkers Get Paint Splash

LauraS

Great news.

Should we all thank RCI on that brilliant move to Cape Liberty? They knew it was an industrial area, and didn't seem to care about inconveniencing thier guests.... all because thier ships are built beyond the 'normal' capacity of other vessels, that they should abandon the West Side piers...

The story can go on and on, and we all know why they did that.

So I'll stop right here.

And thanks to LauraS for bringing this up .. this is a good topic for debate on why RCI, and Celebrity should nix thier plans for Cape Liberty, and bring thier ships back to NY until they build the new terminal in NJ. That plan is working, and it's NOT working ... let's see how many more people complain.

And Laura, the other board hosts, et al...

Please don't remove this.(and the other above post from me).. It would be good to hear the input of others who've used the facility at Cape Liberty.

We are, after all .. here to help each other with feedback and suggestions.

:)

Have picked people up from Cape Liberty and plan to park there on an upcoming cruise. With all due respect to those who love the piers in New york , It is much more convenient driving in and our of Cape Liberty. We have actually passed up a few cruises because we could not bear the thought of dealing with the New york piers and the chaos and traffic. Our experience there has been less than pleasant.

We used the Cape Liberty Cruiseport, no matter how you pretty it up it's Bayonne, last September but had a van take us in. We were traveling with our family, 8 people. The convience, less hassle when you park and unload, large area to checkin, less hassle to leave was worth it. It was much better than going into the NYC piers. We went on the QM2 out of there in March of this year and it was a zoo. Hurry up move the car, get that stuff out of here, then reverse the hassle on the return.

I heard about the paint incidents on other boards. Is this a regular problem? We are going out on Oct 29th and plan on parking there. Do you know what the charge per day is?

mmp13

Could not agree with you more

I saw an artist conception of what the pier is going to look like in a few years. It is going to be somthing to brag about, with shops and stores. The city and/or state has already passed a budget and ear marked funds to do this. RCCL has also made the committment on their part. It just takes a little time and of course their will be some bunps in the road. I think I heard that RCCL signed a 30-year lease for the usage of the pier.

For what it's worth NY would not get off it rump to improve the cruise piers in Manhatten. As a result RCCL is moving to Bayonne, NJ while Carnival and NCL will be moving to Brooklyn at the completion of remolding the cargo piers they contracted for.

Now NY came up with the money but it's too late, RCCL, Carnival, and NCL already signed other committments.

:

A little off topic but if this is creating a film of paint or whatever on the cars, why hasn't anyone notified the EPA,either state or federal. It just seems to me that if this creates a film on the cars, what could it be doing to people who are in the area all the time.

TWELVEOHONE,

From what we understand, NCL will not join the pack relocating to Brooklyn. They remain committed to Manhattan. drove by Port Liberty yesterday with no less than 7 huge cranes towering over an X ship that was berthed and at least another 20 around it. Not a pretty sight. :eek:

If you look at the Pan American Pier in San Juan it is down right UGLY and in a very inconvenient place compared to the old piers in to the piers in Old San Juan.

Problem two is trying to park the Voyager class ships - short of doing what they did in Miami which would take up loads of space once or twice a week and park the ships parallel to the piers they initially parked them perpendicular and that created a navigation hazzard. - Move em across the river to less used space that's easy to get to, develop the area makes sense.

Now as far as the overspray is concerned - how about this - Condoms for cars. Seriously - many people buy covers for their cars that prevent bird droppings etc. Ya think the parking folk/ drydock people would buy into "tyvek disposable covers" that would be thrown away and capture the paint and be a heck of a lot cheaper than all the claims they have to pay

They don't paint there all the time and I know people who have parked there and have had no problem. Getting to the pier from Newark airport is so quick and easy. Cape Liberty is within sight of the Statue of Liberty. I just got off that ship, the Constellation yesterday and was home in less than 45 mins. Yes it is an industrial area but so was alot of ports in Europe and that did not stop me from getting off there. This is the northeast and this is how America makes money. If you want beautiful ports leave and come back to the Carribean. For those who don't know, those cranes that were mentioned were from a container depot which is next to Cape Liberty. They did not offend me one bit. Was glad to see they were busy working because it meant our economy was working and I might be able to afford another cruise in the near future. Pat

• 10 months later...

We sailed from Cape Liberty five times and only once did we find a sticky substance on the car. It wasn't paint. Not sure what it was. Just took a long time to come off. Lots of washes. It's still better than paying $24.00 a day to park at the Manhattan pier. What a rip off.

It would seem that there are always going to be problems anywhere...

the thing is: Is the painting issue a non-issue now?

Please remember this thread is a year old, there have not been any reports of this occurring this year. Can't tell either way but it seems someone would have mentioned it this year.

I go to the Royal Carribean threads often and I just ran into a thread regarding this last week. So, I am NOT sure if this problem has been resolved or not. People were discussing buying cheap car covers to use while parked. So you may want to do a search or look under the RCI threads.

This is going to be a constant ongoing problem as it is caused by the wind carrying whatever substance it is from whatever facility is using it and wind can hardly be controlled.

Thankfully, we live within 30 minutes of Bayonne and now that parking has gone up in price anyway, we use a car/limo service which is pretty close in line with parking for a week.

I don't know why this thread has reappeared but we sailed and parked at Cape Liberty in March 2006 and nothing happened to our car. It is a perfectly wonderful place to park. Close to the terminal and easy to get in and out of. We found it very safe and we did not find anything on our car. I don't disagree with the original poster as something was probably on their car but those things happen. We are in a port. We are not the only thing sailing out of that port. So sometimes things might happen. But nothing recently to my knowledge. pat

Archived