Just Back: 8 nt connoisseur land plus Coral Princess

diane.in.ny

We are also on this tour late in June. Were there any "Patters" or information sheets at the individual stops--I'm looking for information including approximately what time did you leave each lodge and arrive at the next one, or at the end, what time did you leave Kenai and get to the ship. Also, the times for the meals.

I also have a few other questions, please. Were all of the meals group meals? I imagine the group meals were at a specific time--do you remember when? I wonder how they balance the early diners with the later diner preferences.

Also, at Kenai, were there any other transportation options to get to Seward other than the shuttle bus, which is listed as at 9:45am?

By any chance was there anyone in a wheelchair on your tour? About how many people were on the tour?

Our weather was a bit overcast ... the one day without brilliant sunshine. Being mid May it was cool and we layered. My husband wore heavy chinos and was fine. I had light supplex pants so wore long johns underneath

No waterproof outwear is needed because the few rapids were maybe a class 1. They ask you to bring a second pair of socks to double up on socks and they provide boots. The reason for the double socks is that there is really nothing between you and the ice cold water expect the sole of the boot and the rubber raft. We both had wool socks as our outer socks and we were fine.

Might need to wade into the water a bit to get onto the raft. Depends on the water level. You do not sit on the edge of the rubber raft. There are two boards across front and back and three people per seat.

Try and sit in the front. We were in the back and would have been happier in the front as we floated down the river. Wish we had known this before.

However, when wildlife was spotted, the guide did rotate the raft around.

Thanks for posting all your info! :)

We are also on this tour late in June. Were there any "Patters" or information sheets at the individual stops--

There were Patters but they were about the individual lodges. Info relating to the tour was on a separate sheet.

I'm looking for information including approximately what time did you leave each lodge and arrive at the next one, or at the end, what time did you leave Kenai and get to the ship. Also, the times for the meals.

We left Fairbanks about 7:30 and arrived in Denali in time for lunch. We left Denali also about 7:30 and arrived in Copper River in time for dinner. Ditto to Kenai.

I also have a few other questions, please. Were all of the meals group meals? I imagine the group meals were at a specific time--do you remember when? I wonder how they balance the early diners with the later diner preferences.

The only group meals we had were in Fairbanks, the lunch after the sternwheeler and the Music of Denali. I remember the last one being on the early side .... around 5:15. The rest of the group dinners were around 6. For the remainder of the incl meals, we had vouchers for the restaurants and could make our own reservations or have our tour leader make them for us.

Also, at Kenai, were there any other transportation options to get to Seward other than the shuttle bus, which is listed as at 9:45am?

We went to Whittier, not Seward. Our shuttle was delayed because of norovirus on the ship and it was getting a full cleaning. Normally the bus would leave about 10:30

By any chance was there anyone in a wheelchair on your tour? About how many people were on the tour?

We had 41 on the tour. There were no wheelchairs, walkers or scooters but a couple of canes and slow walkers.

I hope I've answered all of your questions

Thank you so much for your posting!

Our tour starts June 11th; just a few questions if I may.

Were you picked up from the airport in Fairbanks? Must you send some luggage on to the ship? On the train to Denali is a meal included with the Tour? We weren't happy when we saw the dinner theatre on our tour; tried to change to the covered wagon dinner but they wanted to double the price, was told we may be able to change when we get to the lodge??? Now which trip were you saying there was no lunch included and you wish you had brought lunch?

We have early setting dinner too, not so sure we should keep it. I want to be sure to make crab leg night LOL

Any suggestions for seating on the stern wheeler or the train?

Again, thanks for your time!

Thank you so much for your posting!

Our tour starts June 11th; just a few questions if I may.

Were you picked up from the airport in Fairbanks?

The connoisseur tour includes airport transfers. Check your documents. If xfer is included it will say so specificially.

Must you send some luggage on to the ship?

Actually, no. On this tour our guide told us we could keep our luggage with us. We had already packed a suitcase for the ship so sent it along. No problems

On the train to Denali is a meal included with the Tour?

No. Breakfast was available for purchase on the train. We grabbed coffee from the room and Danish from the coffee shop in the hotel.

We weren't happy when we saw the dinner theatre on our tour; tried to change to the covered wagon dinner but they wanted to double the price, was told we may be able to change when we get to the lodge??? Now which trip were you saying there was no lunch included and you wish you had brought lunch?

That was the full day from Denali to Copper River. There is literally only place to stop. Family style tables and could order sandwiches or the soup bar. Nobody was happy with their sandwiches. The bread at the soup bar was fantastic ... home made. The soup and chili, though, had no substance. Almost no meat in the chili, and the 'beef stew' was mostly vegetable soup. I have to admit it would be pretty uncouth unwrapping a Subway at the table but I guess it wouldn't be an issue if you bought a couple of beverages $2/can

We have early setting dinner too, not so sure we should keep it. I want to be sure to make crab leg night LOL

I think crab legs was Juneau but not 100% sure. The dinner menu is posted outside the Bordeaux dining room.

Any suggestions for seating on the stern wheeler or the train?

Nope. On the stern wheeler you can get up and walk around. We sat on the deck out front. As for the train, we were the only group in our car so everyone, if they wanted, could have a window seat. People got up and walked around to take pictures forward.

Again, thanks for your time!

You're welcome

Hi Dianne, thanks so much for replying to my question about the Conneisseur tour. By doing so I have found your blog and read it.

It is fantastic and you have mentioned everything that I was wanting to know.

We are really looking forward to the trip even if it is a year away. Your comments will help us with so much of our planning.

Again thank you.

Suzanne

Hi Dianne, thanks so much for replying to my question about the Conneisseur tour. By doing so I have found your blog and read it.

It is fantastic and you have mentioned everything that I was wanting to know.

We are really looking forward to the trip even if it is a year away. Your comments will help us with so much of our planning.

Again thank you.

Suzanne

You are welcome. And there will be more posts coming to my blog over the next couple of weeks as I get through the pictures.

Our experience on a Connoisseur tour in Alaska with Princess

Were you picked up from the airport in Fairbanks?

There is no xfer included just because you are on a Conneisseur tour. In fact, Princess tried to sell us a transfer. But then I learned that the lodge provides free xfers from the airport to the lodge. So, yes it was provided and for free. Note: If you are arriving late evening, be aware that your luggage may not get to your room for over an hour after you get there. On a night you want to get a good sleep, you may have to stay awake until you get your luggage.

Must you send some luggage on to the ship? You are each permitted one suitcase to accompany you on the land tour. If you have more than one, the other(s) must be sent on to meet you at the ship.

On the train to Denali is a meal included with the Tour? On our Connoisseur tour it was not included in the cost.

see above in red

Thanks for your review. We loved our Alaska trip on the Sapphire.:)

We are going on the Coral in April, 2016 to the Panama Canal. :):)

We also did the Coral for the Panama Canal.

Not happy that the glass at the front of the ship is tinted blue. Not easy to take pictures forward going through the canal ....which was great and I'd do again in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I did what a others did. The panels of glass had about a four inch space between them. I grabbed a cushion off a lounge chair and scooted under the front rail and sat on the cushion on the deck right behind one of those openings. I was able to get a clear view AND slide my little camera through the opening to get some good shots.

Our experience on a Connoisseur tour in Alaska with Princess

see above in red

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. Airport transfers were included. It is right on my itinerary plus we received transfer vouchers on board ship before docking in Vancouver.

As for luggage you can keep vs sending to the ship, note that EACH person can keep one suitcase. We had only two suitcases between us so we could have kept them both. Decided not to and sent one to the ship.

The info regarding arriving late and waiting to get your luggage is correct. I took a small rolling carryon (in addition to our two checked bags) and I packed that with our sleepwear, kit bags and change of clothes so we could shower and go to sleep without worrying about the luggage. Best move I made.

With the meal vouchers, were they for a particular restaurant at each given lodge or could you choose out of a couple of restaurants where you would like to have dinner?

Except for the Music of Denali show, the vouchers could be used at any restaurant. We chose the main restaurant at each facility

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. Airport transfers were included. It is right on my itinerary plus we received transfer vouchers on board ship before docking in Vancouver.

As for luggage you can keep vs sending to the ship, note that EACH person can keep one suitcase. We had only two suitcases between us so we could have kept them both. Decided not to and sent one to the ship.

The info regarding arriving late and waiting to get your luggage is correct. I took a small rolling carryon (in addition to our two checked bags) and I packed that with our sleepwear, kit bags and change of clothes so we could shower and go to sleep without worrying about the luggage. Best move I made.

We arrive like 8:30 PM

Thanks so much Diane for your patience and answering all of our questions. I, too, have read your travel blog and am looking forward to your next installment.

To circle back to the luggage - packing for Alaska is so much more difficult than warm weather cruising, I just have a few more questions. :eek:

From what you wrote I gathered that you packed two larger suitcases and one small roller bag. One suitcase went onto the ship and you took the other two with you on your land tour. Did you change clothes every evening on the land tour or did you just wear what you had on during the day? Did you find that you needed to change clothes every evening while on the ship?

I have found on warm weather cruises I used to pack way too much - I finally figured out that I rarely changed out of my swimsuit and cover up on sea days and I often could recycle clothing that I had worn previously on port days (especially capris etc - I usually changed tops!)Having been on a previous Alaskan cruise can you offer any hints re packing, that you learned from one cruise to the next? Any items you wish you had left at home or visa versa, any items you wish you had brought?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Sharon

Edited by hllwdcruiser

Except for the Music of Denali show, the vouchers could be used at any restaurant. We chose the main restaurant at each facility

Thanks Diane, all this information is invaluable to a first time Alaska visitor like me :)

Thanks so much Diane for your patience and answering all of our questions. I, too, have read your travel blog and am looking forward to your next installment.

To circle back to the luggage - packing for Alaska is so much more difficult than warm weather cruising, I just have a few more questions. :eek:

From what you wrote I gathered that you packed two larger suitcases and one small roller bag. One suitcase went onto the ship and you took the other two with you on your land tour. Did you change clothes every evening on the land tour or did you just wear what you had on during the day? Did you find that you needed to change clothes every evening while on the ship?

I have found on warm weather cruises I used to pack way too much - I finally figured out that I rarely changed out of my swimsuit and cover up on sea days and I often could recycle clothing that I had worn previously on port days (especially capris etc - I usually changed tops!)Having been on a previous Alaskan cruise can you offer any hints re packing, that you learned from one cruise to the next? Any items you wish you had left at home or visa versa, any items you wish you had brought?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Sharon

We had two 24" suitcases that we packed ... one for land and one for sea. Those were checked with the airline. I had the small rolling bag, plus my husband and I each had a tote. My tote was large enough to hold my purse in case I got a gate attendant who noted I really had three carry ons.

Yes, packing was tough. We expected cold weather and packed for wearing layers. Since we had warm sunny weather, we had way too much.

As for wearing something different each day/night ... forget it. Everyone was very casual. Considering how dry and warm it was, I probably could have gotten away with two tops ... wear one while the other was drying LOL

Typically we would shower before dinner and I'd put on a new top. Then I'd wear that same top the next day. Even on board ship the few items I washed dried quickly. After attaching to a hanger and allowing to drip in the shower, I hung from the TV shelf in the room.

I am warm most of the time. I could have gotten away with all short sleeve tops ... even the days at the glaciers as I could have simply put my long sleeved long john top on ... which I didn't need. Just my sweatshirt. As I said, we had warm beautiful weather.

Thanks Diane, all this information is invaluable to a first time Alaska visitor like me :)

Glad I could help. That's what this forum is all about. I'm just happy to be able to return the favor for all the help I've gotten.

I have looked at my paperwork and we do have transfers from the airport in Fairbanks to the hotel included with our tour. Also, we called the hotel today to confirm.

Don't think it was this thread but also we do have a lunch voucher included with our tour while on the train out of Whittier.

I have looked at my paperwork and we do have transfers from the airport in Fairbanks to the hotel included with our tour. Also, we called the hotel today to confirm.

Don't think it was this thread but also we do have a lunch voucher included with our tour while on the train out of Whittier.

Sorry but can't help you with this as we were going in the other direction.