Delay in opening Harvest Caye Belize

mein18

Just received email from NCL notifying all passengers on the Dawn that the opening of Harvest Caye will be delayed until February 15, 2016. We will instead be docking at Belize City on our late January sailing.

are you currently booked on a cruise that goes there? What date are you sailing? We're on the Dawn out of NOLA Jan. 17, 2016 and haven't heard anything yet.

We sail 2 weeks after you so according to the email, you will be visiting Belize City also. Check your spam folder for the email. The email subject was messy and could have been deemed as spam.

We sail 2 weeks after you. According to the email, you will be visiting Belize City also

Would you mind posting the email on here? We sail November 2015, and haven't received anything from our PCC! (I believe you, would just like to see what NCL is saying) Thanks

Would you mind posting the email on here? We sail November 2015, and haven't received anything from our PCC! (I believe you, would just like to see what NCL is saying) Thanks

Here's a copy of the email regarding our upcoming cruise on the Star.

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 7-Day Western Caribbean sailings

from Tampa, Florida from October 25, 2015 to February 7, 2016. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware

of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Norwegian Cruise Line is excited to be developing a world-class destination at Harvest Caye, Belize. This spectacular

location will offer guests the opportunity to be immersed into the beauty and natural eco-system of this incredible

setting.

Norwegian is further enhancing the current plans for the destination, to offer even more exciting amenities and services

for our guests. To accommodate these additional investments, calls to Harvest Caye will now begin on February 15,

2016. As a result, Norwegian Star will now call in Belize City, Belize arriving at 8am and departing at 5pm on sailings

from October 25, 2015 to February 7, 2016. Please review the revised itinerary information below.

Original Arrive Depart

Sun Tampa, Florida 4:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras 10:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed Harvest Caye, Belize 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Thu Costa Maya, Mexico 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Fri Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Tampa, Florida 8:00 am

Revised Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Wed Belize City, Belize 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Harvest Caye, your pre-booked shore excursion

reservations will be automatically cancelled. For a list of shore excursions in Belize City, please visit our website at

http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through

Friday from 8am to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you

aboard Norwegian Star.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

Just received email from NCL notifying all passengers on the Dawn that the opening of Harvest Caye will be delayed until February 15, 2016. We will instead be docking at Belize City on our late January sailing.

You definitely will not be DOCKING at Belize City... Tender port.

Here's a copy of the email regarding our upcoming cruise on the Star.

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 7-Day Western Caribbean sailings

from Tampa, Florida from October 25, 2015 to February 7, 2016. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware

of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Norwegian Cruise Line is excited to be developing a world-class destination at Harvest Caye, Belize. This spectacular

location will offer guests the opportunity to be immersed into the beauty and natural eco-system of this incredible

setting.

Norwegian is further enhancing the current plans for the destination, to offer even more exciting amenities and services

for our guests. To accommodate these additional investments, calls to Harvest Caye will now begin on February 15,

2016. As a result, Norwegian Star will now call in Belize City, Belize arriving at 8am and departing at 5pm on sailings

from October 25, 2015 to February 7, 2016. Please review the revised itinerary information below.

Original Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Wed Harvest Caye, Belize 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Revised Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Wed Belize City, Belize 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Harvest Caye, your pre-booked shore excursion

reservations will be automatically cancelled. For a list of shore excursions in Belize City, please visit our website at

http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through

Friday from 8am to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you

aboard Norwegian Star.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

Thank you for posting!

NCL is going into the CCL business. Creating their own special destinations and taking the locals out of the mix. It is going to be hard to get to the mainland from this NCL enclave. Hope everyone likes NCL excursions.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sailing on the NCL Jade out of Houston in December and have not been contacted yet but when I checked my itinerary online it's clearly been changed from Harvest Caye to Belize City. I think I'm actually kind of happy about this. I didn't like the idea of going to a NCL owned island that was completely developed. But I've also heard that Belize City is not the best port. Either way, I'm spending a week with my family so I'll be happy :)

Thanks for sharing. I'm sailing on the NCL Jade out of Houston in December and have not been contacted yet but when I checked my itinerary online it's clearly been changed from Harvest Caye to Belize City. I think I'm actually kind of happy about this. I didn't like the idea of going to a NCL owned island that was completely developed. But I've also heard that Belize City is not the best port. Either way, I'm spending a week with my family so I'll be happy :)

There's actually lots of great things to do in Belize, Belize City is just the port... There's cave tubing... 4x4 riding through the rainforest..., Mayan ruins, lots of nature :)

There's actually lots of great things to do in Belize, Belize City is just the port... There's cave tubing... 4x4 riding through the rainforest..., Mayan ruins, lots of nature :)

Cool. Would you recommend snorkeling at the Belize City or Roatan port?

We sail 2 weeks after you so according to the email, you will be visiting Belize City also. Check your spam folder for the email. The email subject was messy and could have been deemed as spam.

Good Suggestion, since I did not receive an e-mail either and we are sailing out in December

• 1 month later...

I am curious if there were changes in your port fees. I would imagine that if going to Harvest Caye-owned by NCL that the port fees would be less than going to Belize City. I am curious since we are sailing in March, and trying to plan for either port so that I am prepared should construction push back the opening date further. With all the changes to fees that have happened this week I was wondering if your port fees went up?

I am curious if there were changes in your port fees. I would imagine that if going to Harvest Caye-owned by NCL that the port fees would be less than going to Belize City. I am curious since we are sailing in March, and trying to plan for either port so that I am prepared should construction push back the opening date further. With all the changes to fees that have happened this week I was wondering if your port fees went up?

Our port fees have not changed.

• 3 weeks later...
NCL is going into the CCL business. Creating their own special destinations and taking the locals out of the mix. It is going to be hard to get to the mainland from this NCL enclave. Hope everyone likes NCL excursions.

"Taking the locals out of the mix"

Today, the cruise lines are the new conquistadors of the Caribbean and poor little Belize is a little too willing to oblige. These are the kind of deals orchestrated by big corporations and corrupt governments. There is a lot of local opposition to the Harvest Caye development especially by some of the locals from the popular nearby tourist destination of Placencia who still believe that the Harvest Caye development is a bad idea because of the delicate marine ecosystems surrounding the island and the likelihood that the niche tourism market already established in that area will decline as a result.

Of course, as a cruise ship passenger simply looking to enjoy some time off from your busy life, you don't need to concern yourselves too much with all this politicking. Most of you I am sure will put your faith in the cruise line executives to do the right thing, which is to do all in their power to ensure that their development does not harm the environment in anyway nor the livelihood of the locals in the area. Maybe that is the real cause for the delay. Let's hope it is.

"taking the locals out of the mix"

today, the cruise lines are the new conquistadors of the caribbean and poor little belize is a little too willing to oblige. These are the kind of deals orchestrated by big corporations and corrupt governments. There is a lot of local opposition to the harvest caye development especially by some of the locals from the popular nearby tourist destination of placencia who still believe that the harvest caye development is a bad idea because of the delicate marine ecosystems surrounding the island and the likelihood that the niche tourism market already established in that area will decline as a result.

Of course, as a cruise ship passenger simply looking to enjoy some time off from your busy life, you don't need to concern yourselves too much with all this politicking. Most of you i am sure will put your faith in the cruise line executives to do the right thing, which is to do all in their power to ensure that their development does not harm the environment in anyway nor the livelihood of the locals in the area. Maybe that is the real cause for the delay. Let's hope it is.

lol