Hand Gels

Londongirl8

With Norovirus in mind which Hand Gels have people taken with them, in the hope of not picking it up. It seems the alcohol based ones don't work for norovirus. Not sure which one P & O actually uses. I realize soap and water is the best for this, but would like an additional line of defence.

With Norovirus in mind which Hand Gels have people taken with them, in the hope of not picking it up. It seems the alcohol based ones don't work for norovirus. Not sure which one P & O actually uses. I realize soap and water is the best for this, but would like an additional line of defence.

Go into Boots. They do an anti viral hand foam (anti virus-so will help the fight against noro)

Go into Boots. They do an anti viral hand foam (anti virus-so will help the fight against noro)

This claims to be 99.9% effective against viruses and bacteria so offers some protection against both. Of course it's the 00.1% which may be a problem - but it's got to help. The smaller size, whilst proportionally more expensive than the larger one, is small enough to fit into your handbag.

Just to reiterate.....needs to be anti-VIRAL.

Most hand gels are anti bacterial, better that nothing at all just for cleanliness sake, but as noro is a virus, not a bacterial infection, an antiviral gel or foam is required for protection following a good handwashing regime.

( I work in a nursing home where we dread noro or C Dif rearing their ugly heads!)

Just to say thanks to everyone for this info. We aren't paranoid but having had a really bad case of Gastroenteritis where I lost 20 lbs in about 3 weeks I can understand people wanting to take precautions. Will be checking out Boots for this foam ----

Just to say thanks to everyone for this info. We aren't paranoid but having had a really bad case of Gastroenteritis where I lost 20 lbs in about 3 weeks I can understand people wanting to take precautions. Will be checking out Boots for this foam ----

There are no guarantees of course but I routinely carry the Boots antiviral foam in my handbag these days and not just on cruises. Useful if going into cafés, on the plane, after using the loos if you've had to use a handle to get out after hand washing etc. We find it doesn't dry the skin in the way the old alcohol based hand gels do either.

There are no guarantees of course but I routinely carry the Boots antiviral foam in my handbag these days and not just on cruises. Useful if going into cafés, on the plane, after using the loos if you've had to use a handle to get out after hand washing etc. We find it doesn't dry the skin in the way the old alcohol based hand gels do either.

We know there are no guarantees but will do what we can to keep healthy without going OTT. I do wonder if other hotel based holidays are as hygienic as cruises are??!!! People moan about buffets etc etc etc but it must be the same on land holidays. Someone recently complained that the 'Grad and Go' was unhygienic as people picked them up and put them down. We recently went in to M&S for a sandwich .... we found ourselves picking them up to look at what was in them....... is there any difference or are we just hyper careful on cruises?

We know there are no guarantees but will do what we can to keep healthy without going OTT. I do wonder if other hotel based holidays are as hygienic as cruises are??!!! People moan about buffets etc etc etc but it must be the same on land holidays. Someone recently complained that the 'Grad and Go' was unhygienic as people picked them up and put them down. We recently went in to M&S for a sandwich .... we found ourselves picking them up to look at what was in them....... is there any difference or are we just hyper careful on cruises?

You are absolutely right - there are just as many potential opportunities for these infections to be transmitted all around us wherever we are. Hygiene standards and trying to minimise our risk of picking up infections are something we are far more aware of these days and I'm sure it's a consequence of being sensitised to the issues from cruising. We look forward to our cruises - to say nothing of the financial investment so we are especially keen to try to stay well and enjoy them! So we do our best to be sensible but like you don't want to go OTT.

You are absolutely right - there are just as many potential opportunities for these infections to be transmitted all around us wherever we are. Hygiene standards and trying to minimise our risk of picking up infections are something we are far more aware of these days and I'm sure it's a consequence of being sensitised to the issues from cruising. We look forward to our cruises - to say nothing of the financial investment so we are especially keen to try to stay well and enjoy them! So we do our best to be sensible but like you don't want to go OTT.

I just wish every one thought the same and kept to the same standards on the ship ----- but then in real life it doesn't happen either.

Sometimes out bodies just have to fight it off naturally though. I do sometimes wonder how my late parents' generation ever survived not worrying too much; maintaining a basic system of hygiene like washing their hands etc and still eating food that was past the sell by date ........ bless 'em.

My parents (late 80s) thought we all caught more germs as we were becoming OTT and wrapping ourselves in 'cotton wool' so that when we came face to face with a virus we had no natural defence.

Mmmmmmmmm

I just wish every one thought the same and kept to the same standards on the ship ----- but then in real life it doesn't happen either.

Sometimes out bodies just have to fight it off naturally though. I do sometimes wonder how my late parents' generation ever survived not worrying too much; maintaining a basic system of hygiene like washing their hands etc and still eating food that was past the sell by date ........ bless 'em.

My parents (late 80s) thought we all caught more germs as we were becoming OTT and wrapping ourselves in 'cotton wool' so that when we came face to face with a virus we had no natural defence.

Mmmmmmmmm

Your parents were right, at least to an extent. As a case in point, I knew a little boy whose mother kept him almost literally wrapped in cotton wool. For 4 years, anything that fell on the floor was washed before he got it back, he was not allowed to play anywhere that hadn't been scrubbed, the whole house was kept germ-free. He was a healthy baby. Then he went to school - and he missed most of the first year, because he was always ill.

As for eating food past the sell-by date, of course they did. Why would you not? Those numbers on a packet are just that - numbers. They aren't a magic spell that causes food to become dangerous at midnight on the last day.

The important thing, as your parents grasped intuitively or explicitly, is not to eat food that has gone off. And in most cases, there's a better way to tell than by reading the packet. Biscuits go soft, milk smells, yoghurt swells up, tins go rusty, flour has weevils in it or goes a funny colour, fruit goes brown or soft, etc. It's only really meat (especially chicken) that gets dangerous with no obvious signs. If you were given two bottles of milk, one that smells off but is in date, and one that smells OK but is out of date, which would you choose? Trust your own judgement.

absolutely right. If we didn't all use anti-bacterial this and that's at home, our immune systems would function much better. Plain soap and water will keep noro at bay. when did we first hear of the vomiting bug (noro), only about 10 years ago.

Your parents were right, at least to an extent. As a case in point, I knew a little boy whose mother kept him almost literally wrapped in cotton wool. For 4 years, anything that fell on the floor was washed before he got it back, he was not allowed to play anywhere that hadn't been scrubbed, the whole house was kept germ-free. He was a healthy baby. Then he went to school - and he missed most of the first year, because he was always ill.

As for eating food past the sell-by date, of course they did. Why would you not? Those numbers on a packet are just that - numbers. They aren't a magic spell that causes food to become dangerous at midnight on the last day.

The important thing, as your parents grasped intuitively or explicitly, is not to eat food that has gone off. And in most cases, there's a better way to tell than by reading the packet. Biscuits go soft, milk smells, yoghurt swells up, tins go rusty, flour has weevils in it or goes a funny colour, fruit goes brown or soft, etc. It's only really meat (especially chicken) that gets dangerous with no obvious signs. If you were given two bottles of milk, one that smells off but is in date, and one that smells OK but is out of date, which would you choose? Trust your own judgement.

My parents would have loved that post - as would most of their generation.:)

They were horrified if I threw food away because of a sell by date and never got food poisoning, being very careful with chicken and pork.

Having said that though, Mum and Dad refused to fly or sail as they thought neither was safe and thought we were mad ...:D:D:D

absolutely right. If we didn't all use anti-bacterial this and that's at home, our immune systems would function much better. Plain soap and water will keep noro at bay. when did we first hear of the vomiting bug (noro), only about 10 years ago.

Tummy bugs have been around forever. I think it's just the name that's new. Norovirus, Salmonella, Listeria, Camphylobacter - they all have (on the face of it) much the same effect. I think we've just got more knowledge - whether on a scientific level or just on an anecdotal general-public level - of what they do.

There's sense in using hand gels etc. on board ship, because of the high population density, the whole bunch of new germs you're exposed to, and the extra disappointment of being ill over and above the upset if you're at home. It's when you start to obsess about cleanliness at home as well, that's when you put your general immunity at risk.

The best plan for avoiding Norovirus is to wash your hands thoroughly, particularly before eating and after using bathroom. On exiting a public toilet I always wash hands and keep the paper towel to hold door handle with and throw it in rubbish bin outside door. I avoid the Buffet and eating with hands, use knife and fork or spoon. Then I do not touch face particularly around mouth and avoid holding hand rails and pushing lift buttons. On entering restaurant always use the gels, additional gel is available in gym and internet place.

I think a regime is better that just taking extra gel but it might be handy shoreside.

Regards John

As pervious posts daughter is microbiologist anti virus gel is the one, plus

Once in cabin wet wipes to clean remote control, door handles, telephone

Just in case the occupants before you were ill, you will be surprised how far

in the atmosphere the bugs and other unmentionables :eek: fly.

Mrs Blue Sky

But the instructions on the ship are to use soap and water!!

You are of course right. But how many times did I see people coming out of toilets on the ship, still without washing their hands, even though there was a norovirus outbreak on board? Too many times.

As pervious posts daughter is microbiologist anti virus gel is the one, plus

Once in cabin wet wipes to clean remote control, door handles, telephone

Just in case the occupants before you were ill, you will be surprised how far

in the atmosphere the bugs and other unmentionables :eek: fly.

Mrs Blue Sky

Just received my order for boots anti viral foam! Handy little 50ml one for carrying around in my bag. If anyone is thinking of buying these they are BOGO half price on boots website with most other summer stuff, not sure about in store :)