Mystery Cruise

Someone on another thread mentioned that he thought his ship was lost and he must be on a mystery cruise. The more I thought about it the more intriguing it sounded. How many of you would go on a 7 or 14 day cruise without Royal telling you where they were going? It could be a blast!

My FIL already does this, Dear MIL, books everything, packs everything and FIL even on day of embarkation has no idea what ship he will be on or where it is going:eek:

Obviously he knows he is on his travels somewhere, but always a total surprise as to where and on what ship:)

We used to do mystery weekends on WestPac Air. Never spent more than $150 for the weekend. They'd call you & tell you what the weather was anticipated to be for the weekend, that's all you knew...it was great! If you are someone that has to have everything planned in advance you'd probably not enjoy it. I really miss those weekends

At this point in time, I wouldn't do it, as I only do 1 cruise a year (thinking of possibly doing a 2nd one next year!!!), and I want to make sure I know where I'm going.

However, far off in the future, when I'm doing multiple cruises a year, I'd be glad to book a mystery cruise, just for the fun and suspense of it!

If the price was right, maybe.

This. I once booked an All-inclusive in Jamaica this way. They called it a "super-surprise" and the price was great. At the airport, we found out we were headed to Hedonism II. And believe it or not, we had a pretty amazing time (this was a long time ago in 1999.)

Would depend on the ship mostly and price. We tend to cruise for the onboard experience not the ports. Assuming the departure port was known well in advance to get good price air fare this might be fun. Not sure how practical keeping it a mystery would be though - there will lots of people who would work it all out in advance using 'what's in port' type data.

I remember a few years ago, Brilliance disappeared from the cruising itinerary for a private charter. Took about 20mins to find out all the details.

Edited by roysmith99

I'm another if the price was right yes. For your mystery cruise would you have the passengers know the ship in advance? Or keep both the ship and the itinerary secret?

I would think that the ship would have to be known as paxs pick staterooms. Just don't tell them where they are going. Royal could make a game of it while on-board.

I would think that the ship would have to be known as paxs pick staterooms. Just don't tell them where they are going. Royal could make a game of it while on-board.

Maybe that could be part of the mystery. You could pick your cabin category (eg suite, GS, ocean view, balcony, inside etc) but not the specific cabin. I understand that might put some people off the idea though

There is a travel agency here in San Antonio that offers mystery trips. It mostly caters to retirees and they have a blast. The agency tells them what to pack and they show up at a designated place at a designated time. My mother booked several of these. Once they ended up in the north east for fall foliage (we are from Texas and don't really have seasons) and another time it was the Blue Ridge mountains and Biltmore. They usually let them know if it's air or bus travel.

I think a mystery cruise would be a great idea!

A few years ago I was on a 4nt Monarch cruise that ended up being a "sort" of mystery cruise thanks to a hurricane predicted to come up the coast of Fl...we missed Coco Cay, spent a day as scheduled in Nassau & ended up in Key West after Nassau...kind of fun.

Maybe that could be part of the mystery. You could pick your cabin category (eg suite, GS, ocean view, balcony, inside etc) but not the specific cabin. I understand that might put some people off the idea though

You get on the boat and spin a big wheel and it tells you your stateroom....lol